• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo Legion Go vs Asus Rog ally which to chooooseeee

Steam Deck vs Rog Ally vs Lenovo Legion Go

• Steam Deck

Votes: 84 60.4%
  • Asus Rog ally

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Lenovo Legion go

Votes: 33 23.7%

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

Pretty sure Valve came out right and said there won't be a Steam Deck 2 till at least 2025? I'll be upgrading then so I can keep up with the AAA releases. Until then my next upgrade will be the Switch 2.
Valve wont but all the other companies release hardware pretty much yearly. If you want the deck then yeah get it.

Im waiting myself for the next APU before jumping in on those windows handhelds.

Sounds like you are set man! Come back and let us know how you like it.

Meaning GIF
Absolutely. Ordering it on the 25th. Give or take a few days and I'll post back here after that. Got a Samsung Mirco SD 512gb card on the way and ordered a textured blue Steam Deck skin from Easy Skinz. A case comes with the 512gb Deck so that's sorted. All I need now is a portable power charger with tons of juice. Any recommendations?

StereoVsn

Absolutely. Ordering it on the 25th. Give or take a few days and I'll post back here after that. Got a Samsung Mirco SD 512gb card on the way and ordered a textured blue Steam Deck skin from Easy Skinz. A case comes with the 512gb Deck so that's sorted. All I need now is a portable power charger with tons of juice. Any recommendations?
I recommend getting 1 or 2tb m.2 2230 nvme drive off Amazon/Newegg/whatever. 1TB can be had for ~$70 now and 2TB runs ~$150-170. A good SD card is helpful but its nice to have internal NVME drive of a bit larger size. Which is why usually folks recommend cheapest deck + the drive.

Crayon

Tbh man I've never be able to play kb and mouse. I've been a console only gamer my whole life and I do so much better with a traditional controller.

Just pair a controller. Or plug it in. Really sounds like you should look at a laptop after reading your posts. Maybe replace that cheap one you have for work with something nice. That meets your no more screens around the house (??) criteria. You can flip it open, either set it down or put it on your lap, and play on a bigger display that you don't need to hold up to your face. When you are done it goes back wherever you keep the current one. As far as portability, you'd have to be splitting hairs as these portables are quite big. Considering that either would have to go in a bag then I don't think there's a ton of daylight between a big portable and a smaller laptop. It's going to be a lot better for these aaa games you want to play.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Question.... Which is better, I want to emulate console games, and how well can it run PS3 or Nintendo Switch games?

Depends, older stuff perfectly, some ps3 ok, switch at switch levels for most games. No upscaling. That's what I read anyhow, don't have a steam deck at this moment......soon to change.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Steam deck overall for comfort and balanced design/battery

Rog ally isnt terrible but the mediocre battery and hand-cramping design are major turn-offs for me personally.

I have yet to try the lenovo go, looks interesting though

Onironauta

Pretty happy with my Legion Go so far.
Despite the size it's comfortable to hold even for people with small hands.
The screen looks great and I don't miss OLED or VRR so far.
Current gen games like Ghostwire Tokyo run pretty smoothly, some of them even at native 1600p.

GreatnessRD

Then real question is what did OP go with?

For me it would be between the Lenovo and Steamdeck. Probably lean Deck OLED since its cheaper.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Depends, older stuff perfectly, some ps3 ok, switch at switch levels for most games. No upscaling. That's what I read anyhow, don't have a steam deck at this moment......soon to change.
can confirm here, Switch runs around Switch level or slightly worse depending on the game. If you are running on Ryujinx it's especially insufferable, yuzu guarantees best performance. Then again the only games i have tested are Wonder, TOTK, Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D world

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But now instant regret. Steam Deck OLED literally came out a week later.

Sigh
IK it sucks as a guy who bought mine 2 months before the OLED announcement.... you just gotta sell and go on with your life.

If you have a 256 or 512gb at least you can make enough to only spend 100 bucks more for the OLED upgrade.

mhirano

Question.... Which is better, I want to emulate console games, and how well can it run PS3 or Nintendo Switch games?
Steam Deck runs Switch game at switch quality:
Red dead redemption 1 at 720p/30fps

Ps3 games can be played at 720p/60fps like God of War collection and Kingdom hearts HD collection

The ROG Ally has more power to spare and can run Switch games even better than the original hardware: Red Dead Redemption can run unlocked at 50-60 fps (Ryujinx with vsync off or Yuzu with 200% emulation speed)

Last edited:
2 weeks, so yes, unless he imported it obviously - if not, then he's waking up to the best news ever. Unless he tore apart all the boxes and discarded them already lol.
I imported it.

This feels like the time my VMU was hacked and I lost my 120 hours Skies of Arcadia save file. Along with my 300 hour PSO and near finished RE CV save file.

I cried that day.

This OLED situation makes me want to fly into space and race into a black hole of eternal nothingness and death.

THAT'S HOW I FEEL NOW.

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I imported it.

This feels like the time my VMU was hacked and I lost my 120 hours Skies of Arcadia save file. Along with my 300 hour PSO and near finished RE CV save file.

I cried that day.

This OLED situation makes me want to fly into space and race into a black hole of eternal nothingness and death.

THAT'S HOW I FEEL NOW.

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
regardless of the model you can still play dreamcast games on it

Klosshufvud

I imported it.

I cried that day.

THAT'S HOW I FEEL NOW.

😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
Honestly I feel like it was shitty by Valve to withhold this product info until so close to launch. Atleast they could've forewarned that a revision with a display upgrade was coming a few weeks ago just to avoid this burn out feel. I'm not going to say I told ya so but I did feel like something was cooking at Valve why I couldn't recommend you the SD.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly I feel like it was shitty by Valve to withhold this product info until so close to launch. Atleast they could've forewarned that a revision with a display upgrade was coming a few weeks ago just to avoid this burn out feel. I'm not going to say I told ya so but I did feel like something was cooking at Valve why I couldn't recommend you the SD.

Valve could have announced that the OLED model was coming next month and that wouldn't have helped his situation. It was just a case of bad timing.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Lenovo drivers look to still need more work.

Retro Game Corps just finished his full review and Ally is generally performing better at lower TDP. Plus VRR screen does matter. And it’s cheaper (Best Buy sales and returned inventory).

Personally I would either wait and see if Lenovo issues are fixed in a month or at least wait till BF possible Lenovo site deals.

Ally has its own issues with SD card failures on the other hand. And of course Deck OLED is out next week.

Edit: To clarify, it’s running quicker vs Lenovo in games at 15w vs Lenovo’s 20w. With significant FPS differences.

Last edited:
Valve could have announced that the OLED model was coming next month and that wouldn't have helped his situation. It was just a case of bad timing.
While that's true to some extent, I could have at the very least held off and imported the OLED Model. No official announcement by Valve with them knowing people were still buying the OG model days before the official announcement is pretty shitty in my books.

Topher

Gold Member
While that's true to some extent, I could have at the very least held off and imported the OLED Model. No official announcement by Valve with them knowing people were still buying the OG model days before the official announcement is pretty shitty in my books.

Isn't that unavoidable though? Valve could have announced that an OLED version was coming back in July and people who bought the previous version in the days before the announcement were still in the same exact situation.

Isn't that unavoidable though? Valve could have announced that an OLED version was coming back in July and people who bought the previous version in the days before the announcement were still in the same exact situation.
In this generation it's pretty much always inevitable, but the difference is that usually hardware companies announce a pro model in the works and then after with a RRP and release date closer to release.

Valve didn't even release any promotional material to the general public, so I do think the situation is a bit different here pro consumer wise.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
In this generation it's pretty much always inevitable, but the difference is that usually hardware companies announce a pro model in the works and then after with a RRP and release date closer to release.

Valve didn't even release any promotional material to the general public, so I do think the situation is a bit different here pro consumer wise.

Fair enough. This announcement did seem to come out of nowhere. I do appreciate how Valve had review units out beforehand though and we were seeing the unit covered in detail hours after the announcement. Contrast that with Lenovo's embargo on many details up until the last second before release. The timing game in gaming is always weird it seems.

Klosshufvud

Get the ally or steam deck.. I sold my go because it needs better software and drivers
The downside of those Z1E chips being OEM-bound. I wish they had just gone for generic 7840U chips. That way AMD would be supplying the drivers and we would not need months of beta testing. The reviews are pretty harsh on the software side of things. Once things are ironed out for GO, it's going to be a close call between GO, Ally and SDOLED. But GO needs more time in the oven.

Last edited:

MScarpa

So I have the Steamdeck and Rog Ally. Deck is much better product IMO but not as powerful, The Ally is nice but you have to do a lot to get stuff running how you want it. When I get the Legion Go I'll chime in again.

StereoVsn

So I have the Steamdeck and Rog Ally. Deck is much better product IMO but not as powerful, The Ally is nice but you have to do a lot to get stuff running how you want it. When I get the Legion Go I'll chime in again.
I have both as well and from what I observed Ally starts to pull away at around 15W or so. Below that Deck is as good or better from performance perspective in general (as always some games may vary).

Of course Ally has a much easier time supporting non Steam library games like EA, Ubi, Epic, GoG stores and PC GamePass.

All above said, I think I am going to try and sell my Deck and Ally and try to get the new OLED. Since at 15-20w Ally battery life sucks anyway (at 15w it’s not bad, but not great).

Topher

Gold Member
Topher Topher has been beating the Rog Ally drum for a while and now I see you sold yours. Your glowing review almost made me buy one. Gabes OLED too good to pass up?

the-rock-hmm.gif

Nah.....didn't sell it. Just closed the thread. It automatically marks it sold either way. I still highly recommended the Rog Ally though. I'm holding on to it for the time being as prices are just not very good for second hand units.

Here is my post in the OLED thread....

Going to have to wait on Steam Deck OLED, I believe. As it is, I'll sell my Rog Ally for $500 on ebay. After $65 in ebay fees and $15 or so in shipping, I'll net $420. Paid $600 for Rog Ally with tax. $180 in the hole if I do that. After all the Black Friday sales end, prices might go back up. OLED will probably be sold out until next year at the point I finally sell it, but that's fine. Rather get more money back for my Ally. OLED looks great, but not that great.

Also, saw this video comparing the various handheld screens.....

The thing that I do worry about with Steam Deck OLED is the power delta. The trade off is battery life, but I'm playing games at really decent frame rates on the Ally. I may just decide to stick with it.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

If I had an ROG Ally I would look up this mod

90Wh is absolutely insane and you could comfortably play any game at 20W without needing to care the slightest about battery. Not sure how much weight it adds to the device though. Maybe there is a more commercial option available too.

Topher

Gold Member
If I had an ROG Ally I would look up this mod

90Wh is absolutely insane and you could comfortably play any game at 20W without needing to care the slightest about battery. Not sure how much weight it adds to the device though. Maybe there is a more commercial option available too.

That's quite the DIY project, but I like to see more options. In this case, I'm definitely not liking the added bulk. So far I've done really well with a Baseus power bank near by which is definitely needed if I'm going to game for more than an hour.

graywolf323

Nah.....didn't sell it. Just closed the thread. It automatically marks it sold either way. I still highly recommended the Rog Ally though. I'm holding on to it for the time being as prices are just not very good for second hand units.

Here is my post in the OLED thread....

The thing that I do worry about with Steam Deck OLED is the power delta. The trade off is battery life, but I'm playing games at really decent frame rates on the Ally. I may just decide to stick with it.
I plan to keep both, I feel like the ROG Ally will balance out really well with the Deck OLED thanks to it being better for more power demanding games

selling my OG Deck to a friend, I might wait until after the holidays to get the OLED though since I’m not sure I can squeeze it into my budget right now (thanks to having gotten the Ally earlier this month)

Topher

Gold Member
I plan to keep both, I feel like the ROG Ally will balance out really well with the Deck OLED thanks to it being better for more power demanding games

selling my OG Deck to a friend, I might wait until after the holidays to get the OLED though since I’m not sure I can squeeze it into my budget right now (thanks to having gotten the Ally earlier this month)

I think I'm way too indecisive right now so I'm punting on making any kind of choice for a while. Rog Ally really is a kick ass handheld and the more I watch that comparison video, the more I think I'm not getting the massive screen upgrade I initialy thought I would get. So yeah.....best for me to just wait a while. Probably until after the holidays, like you.

But if my luck is like other's around here have been then the week after I get Steam Deck OLED, Asus will announce Rog Ally OLED.

ball fail GIF

Klosshufvud

I think I'm way too indecisive right now so I'm punting on making any kind of choice for a while. Rog Ally really is a kick ass handheld and the more I watch that comparison video, the more I think I'm not getting the massive screen upgrade I initialy thought I would get. So yeah.....best for me to just wait a while. Probably until after the holidays, like you.

But if my luck is like other's around here have been then the week after I get Steam Deck OLED, Asus will announce Rog Ally OLED.

ball fail GIF
Yeah I really don't think owners of the Ally or Legion Go should feel burnt out. Those devices are exceptional in their own ways. OLED is nice but a great IPS display with accurate color range, decent size and high resolution goes a long, long way.

Klosshufvud

For those still considering Lenov Legion Go, looks like some open box units are now available from Best Buy. $636 currently for "open box - excellent"

Wow! Great deal for anyone OK with a larger handheld. $600 for all value that is just phenomenal IMO and currently makes it the value king. These high-end handhelds are really coming down to competitive prices. It's not as one sided as it was two years ago.

I can get a 1 TB Legion Go for a little less than $650 (including tax) straight from Lenovo cause I have a bunch of rewards points with them. Really debating if this is worth it for the performance upgrade over my Deck.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wow! Great deal for anyone OK with a larger handheld. $600 for all value that is just phenomenal IMO and currently makes it the value king. These high-end handhelds are really coming down to competitive prices. It's not as one sided as it was two years ago.

Certainly a compelling option with that huge screen. Glad we are getting a lot of choices. Can't imagine what next year is going to be like in the handheld PC market.

Edit: Looks like those open box units are already gone. Not surprised really.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I just picked up legion go at best buy earlier. open box excellent condition 636 / 680 with tax 1TB. Was debating new oled deck but the bigger screen sold me, plus windows. Typing on it now. Downloading games now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom