• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leon S.Kennedy is 37 years old!

Jawmuncher

obligatory
biohazard12.gif

Have never seen this one. So good.

Hell naw. RE4 Leon is best Leon. The jacket is too iconic.

The jacket is iconic I'll give it that. But I definitely think his china outfit is the best look.

The jacket is iconic I'll give it that. But I definitely think his china outfit is the best look.

I wasn't a fan of the vest/seductively unbuttoned dress shirt combo, his messy long hair,or new face. He just looked like he wandered off of a modeling shoot or he was trying to be european or something, it was weird.

Amazing leather/fur jacket + awesome black t-shirt wetsuit thing + stupid haircut that somehow looks strangely cool in motion + pants and boots that make it look like he's actually prepared for some rough goings = da best Leon design.

RE2 Leon comes second. I like his RPD outfit a lot, but I like his face and non-gingerness better in 4. And as a blonde male, I approve of his change to one of the few blonde male protagonists in gaming.

ibjmnBJxL1SI1w.gif

RE6 China Outfit Leon is best Leon. Dat vest.

Love how the RE series has a good variety in it's cast age wise and doesn't just stick to the 14-18 year olds you expect. The way they do it with keeping the old guard around and actually progressing them and the escalation of the world's BOW problems is great, while also introducing new faces to take up the reigns one day.

God damn. Leon has the best reloading animations in any game.

Also gotta disagree. RE4 Leon was the best. The jacket man.

"He" is also a fictional character.

I know that, my point is that some people are acting like 35 is "over the hill, time to retire" and I find that ridiculous. Nearing 50 for an action role, fine, you'd be closer to having a point (though that would then be saying that Joel of TLOU was too old). And saying things like "He looks good for his age" in regards to a 35 year old just seems odd to me.

Jawmuncher

I wasn't a fan of the vest/seductively unbuttoned dress shirt combo, his messy long hair,or new face. He just looked like he wandered off of a modeling shoot or he was trying to be european or something, it was weird.

Amazing leather/fur jacket + awesome black t-shirt wetsuit thing + stupid haircut that somehow looks strangely cool in motion + pants and boots that make it look like he's actually prepared for some rough goings = da best Leon design.

RE2 Leon comes second. I like his RPD outfit a lot, but I like his face and non-gingerness better in 4. And as a blonde male, I approve of his change to one of the few blonde male protagonists in gaming.

Funny enough that's the exact reason why I liked it. When it comes to RE2 leon I think his look in darksiders chronicles was the best.
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/22126/1772018-leon___claire.jpeg

Gamerloid

Leon appears in good games, but he himself as a character has always been bland. I hope to never see him again.

I want RE7 to be about Claire. If Leon wants to appear again, it better be about him finally having to kill Ada.

Curufinwe

So on a similar note, I've been playing through RE4: Wii edition recently, and while I'm really enjoying it, and can appreciate the obvious mechanical depth and design that's going on... why do people continually claim that this game is the starting point of modern TPS games? It controls nothing like them. Before playing, I assumed moving the Wii pointer would move the reticule along a bounding box, moving the screen as well (a la every other shooter), but nope. You have to use the movement analogue stick to move the screen, with the pointer just aiming the reticule within the screen. While I get that it's a pretty cool system for a horror shooter, this is completely different from every post-Gears shooter out there, and I don't see where the influence is supposed to be. Character movement is different, the aiming system is different, I just don't see this template that has supposed to have been passed on to all TPS games since. Not when Chaos Theory came out before RE4, and mechanically has all the composite elements of modern TPS games, despite being a stealth game (over the shoulder aim, left stick moves, right stick aims, reticule bloom, sticky cover, etc etc).

Am I missing something here. Because as much as I'm enjoying RE4, I'm enjoying it as an idiosyncratic game that plays completely uniquely from any other shooter, not as something that had a clear effect on the industry.

Resident Evil 4 release date: January 11th, 2005

Chaos Theory release date: March 28th, 2005

Manu

Leon appears in good games, but he himself as a character has always been bland. I hope to never see him again.

I want RE7 to be about Claire. If Leon wants to appear again, it better be about him finally having to kill Ada.

So much wrong on a single post.

You know Resident Evil to me seems like the biggest series that could easily have a character be gay. Would be interesting to see how that would play out in a larger scope.
Chris should be confirmed to be gay. He's never shown any romantic interest in any of his numerous female partners, and he has a HUGE gay following. (Which Capcom has been playing up to lately.) I think that would be pretty damn awesome.

That's neat, but if you need an article to explain that the character is gay, it's not really doing much for representation. I haven't played the game, but is there any mention at all about this character's sexuality in the game? Dee-Ay as code for DA, which in turn stands for Don't Ask/Don't Tell is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal stretch.

HeelPower

It's a valid interpretation. I can go for either. He's got something for Ada, no doubt. Bi, maybe. It's just about time for a queer main character in a major game franchise.

Valid interpretation ? That's the only thing that's easy to understand about RE's story. Leon and Ada are crazy about each other lol

DedValve

Banned
Chris should be confirmed to be gay. He's never shown any romantic interest in any of his numerous female partners, and he has a HUGE gay following. (Which Capcom has been playing up to lately.) I think that would be pretty damn awesome.

That's neat, but if you need an article to explain that the character is gay, it's not really doing much for representation. I haven't played the game, but is there any mention at all about this character's sexuality in the game? Dee-Ay as code for DA, which in turn stands for Don't Ask/Don't Tell is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal stretch.

Does Chris really have a huge gay following?

Does Chris really have a huge gay following?
Um, yes. Like gigantic. Google Chris Redfield bara if you don't believe me. (The results will be 100% NSFW BTW.)

Capcom knows this too. Just look at the DLC costumes they've released for him. (Leather fetish gear, sexy samurai, sailor stripper, etc.) Plus he suddenly has a male partner in RE6, one who he's very close to. When's the last time a male RE protag was teamed up with another dude as their main partner?

Riposte

If Chris was gay, it would put a new spin on his friendship with Forest Speyer. Not that I spend a lot of time thinking about this or anything...

Jawmuncher

I would be a-ok with Chris being gay. Actually I would prefer it. As you said would fit so well considering how he has been with his female partners. As for dee-ay there's 2-: no mention at all in the game. As from his name which I didn't even know meant DaDt

Now that's cool. Though hours left is right. With no mention or anything in game it's not the same.

I would be a-ok with Chris being gay. Actually I would prefer it. As you said would fit so well considering how he has been with his female partners.
Yeah, they need to just do it. Having the star of one of the biggest franchises of all time, and the best selling Capcom game ever, be confirmed to be gay, would be really awesome. And all the groundwork is there, Chris has shown ZERO romantic interest in his four non-familial female partners, and his arc with Piers was laden with subtext. It wouldn't be some cheap swerve or publicity stunt.

Just do it Capcom. Fulfill his destiny, and make his legion of fans happy!

As for dee-ay there's 2-: no mention at all in the game. As from his name which I didn't even know meant DaDt

Now that's cool. Though hours left is right. With no mention or anything in game it's not the same.
Figures. It's not like DA is some well known acronym for Don't Ask, Don't Tell. (In fact, it's not even one at all!) Plus, why would a gay man use a call sign named after such a misguided law? I appreciate the intention, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

As I mentioned before, if you have to outline this aspect of the character in an article 2+ years later, it's probably not getting across. That's why I get upset when people say "can't you just assume that a character is gay?", it doesn't work that way.

KyleCross

The other characters face models in RE6. Not sure but I think Chris doesn't have one.

Ty Brenneman (Ada)

NFRd8ED.jpg

Natasha Alam (Helena)

Sara Fletcher (Sherry)

Bradley Dodds (Jake)

wPWMVvF.jpg

Adam Crosman (Piers)

sUlW5Ab.jpg

Man, half the time these facial models never look like the actual characters to me. Julia Voth as Jill definitely does, and in this list only Piers model looks like him to me. Also Ashley's model looks like her too. Did you know she was featured in the RE4: Wii Edition commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9pBbMGrSQ

Then there's Leon's RE4 facial model which is considered the best Leon, kinda funny that it was RE4's animation director; Christian Duerre

U3F1ivC.jpg

Jawmuncher

Yeah, they need to just do it. Having the star of one of the biggest franchises of all time, and the best selling Capcom game ever, be confirmed to be gay, would be really awesome. And all the groundwork is there, Chris has shown ZERO romantic interest in his four non-familial female partners, and his arc with Piers was laden with subtext. It wouldn't be some cheap swerve or publicity stunt.

Just do it Capcom. Fulfill his destiny, and make his legion of fans happy!

Figures. It's not like DA is some well known acronym for Don't Ask, Don't Tell. (In fact, it's not even one at all!) Plus, why would a gay man use a call sign named after such a misguided law? I appreciate the intention, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

As I mentioned before, if you have to outline this aspect of the character in an article 2+ years later, it's probably not getting across. That's why I get upset when people say "can't you just assume that a character is gay?", it doesn't work that way.

I think this topic is worth its own thread to be honest. There's just so much to discuss about it. Since it would just be too perfect of a fit. Like you said being a romantic interest isn't the same as being a good teammate.

RE2 Leon comes second. I like his RPD outfit a lot, but I like his face and non-gingerness better in 4.

Right on, brother! Which is why when I replay RE4, I only ever play as Leon in his RE2 R.P.D. outfit. You get the best of both worlds: face and build from RE4, with the now iconic outfit from RE2. Win win everywhere.

HDFinal5.jpg

post-35708-James-Franco-So-Good-gif-tumbl-tcDE.gif

Spazznid

While the animation is neat and all, it really irks me that they only animated everything above his waistline, while making everything below it completely rigid. Same goes to that .gif of the thumbs up- his arm moves, but it's hinged to his shoulder, which is rock solid.

That's because the bottom half of the body can be doing anything, such as running, crouching, walking, etc. It's not perfect, but it allows for more dynamic movements happening at the same time.

Mr_Zombie

The other characters face models in RE6. Not sure but I think Chris doesn't have one.

I'm sure he has. I remember reading an interview with Shinji Mikami about REmake where it was stated that nowadays (well, back then) video game characters look so real that it is required to have face models in order to avoid possible lawsuits like "hey, this character looks just like a person I know".

Why didn't they just keep this Jill model? This Jill was the best.

302278-residentevil23.jpg

She was the reason Jill was my favorite character in RE1. That moment when she takes off the beret and let down her hair in "bad" ending. <3

And then came RE3 and CGI Jill. :|
She's still my fav

Man, half the time these facial models never look like the actual characters to me.

I don't remember whether it was in RE4 or REmake, but among textures files there was one with Wesker's face model texture (before he was modified into the final Wesker). When you compared the texture with the one of Wesker's in-game face you could see how much they changed him.

And yes, I still can't get over the fact that they dumped Paul Mercier als VA for Leon. Damn you Capcom!!!

Right now Claire is the only character in the series who to this day was voiced by a single VA (Alyson Court). At least in main RE games, dunno who voiced her in Operation Raccoon City.

Westraid

Darn, 37 already. It seems ages ago when he arrived in Raccoon City after oversleeping.
Seems even longer ago when I put RE2 into the Playstation for the first time, after I had been saving up for ages.

Kind of feel like replaying the games now.

Darn, 37 already. It seems ages ago when he arrived in Raccoon City after oversleeping.
Seems even longer ago when I put RE2 into the Playstation for the first time, after I had been saving up for ages.

Kind of feel like replaying the games now.

Do it.
Thats what I'm doing. The games are gaming classics.

RE 1+2+3 are on sale on PSN iirc. $7.99 for all I think.

KyleCross

I'm sure he has. I remember reading an interview with Shinji Mikami about REmake where it was stated that nowadays (well, back then) video game characters look so real that it is required to have face models in order to avoid possible lawsuits like "hey, this character looks just like a person I know".
I'm pretty sure that's covered in the whole "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental."

She was the reason Jill was my favorite character in RE1. That moment when she takes off the beret and let down her hair in "bad" ending. <3
And she never did anything ever again after that. According to Mikami she was just a student visiting Japan at the time and that she was hard to deal with. After all these years everyone who played the characters in the Live Action scenes had their actual actors found, with the exception of being her. There's two popular actors people attach to her, but they're not her.

Right now Claire is the only character in the series who to this day was voiced by a single VA (Alyson Court). At least in main RE games, dunno who voiced her in Operation Raccoon City.
She voiced her in that too, actually. Literally the only appearence Claire has had where she wasn't voiced by Court is that silly little Resident Evil 2 Japanese commercial John Romero did where she was played by an actress.

Also Ashley's model looks like her too. Did you know she was featured in the RE4: Wii Edition commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9pBbMGrSQ
Nope, I didn't. Nice.

I don't remember seeing someone listed for him in RE6 credits. Maybe they use the same guy as RE5? But then they should have included him in the credits anyway.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It still baffles me that Leon didn't take that 'overtime' Ashley offered him.
For real.

Even a stern "the mission is my priority" motherfucker like Big Boss got him a piece when his mission was over.

I think Leon is allergic to women. But that's me.

Top Bottom