• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I dunno if a port of a 3ds game and a hd version of sf2 implies "all in on switch in Japan" at all. I do think they will be, eventually, but not based off current information and releases.

XX Switch is pretty clearly setting the table for more Monster Hunter on the platform- its arriving sooner than MH3 G did on 3DS and will in all likelihood sell significantly more than every other PS4 game for the market besides FFXV (and could eclipse those sales- hard to tell).

jackdoe

This rumor absolutely makes no sense. Especially on Sony's part as the way the rumor is worded, Sony would be paying top bucks to get a Dragon's Dogma sequel titled as Monster Hunter 5.

My position is just what capcom themselves have said in their reports. They're making a big deal about making the brand into something with worldwide appeal. Thus far it's the western market where that is failing. It definitely has it's fans in the west, but for whatever reason they want more. I can't think of any other ways they'd be able to get more fans on board without either changing the games currently drastically (not good) or trying to make another game within the series with those changes (At least not fully destroying what is there).

MH on 3DS did pretty well in the west

gogogow

Nothing in that rumour suggests it's stripped of everything that makes MH what it is.

MH has been stuck in 2004 for years. Eventually it will need to evolve.
Stuck in 2004? In what way? Talking about graphics again? The gameplay has been evolving with each and every entry.

Kyoufu

What about the two times they tried to make it work on the PS2 and the time they tried to then make it work on the Wii? Did the main series being on console for years while portables got spinoffs until 4 not count?

We're talking about PS2 here, where you needed an optional ethernet adapter to play anything online back in 2004 when online gaming was still in its infancy. They didn't even market MH in the west.

As for the Wii, that sold pretty well for what it was.

jwhit28

Haven't the MH spinoffs under performed? I don't putting a 5 on the cover will fix that if the gameplay is still not traditional MH. I hope it goes better for them than the Street Fighter and Dead Rising deals have.

BooJoh

Nothing in that rumour suggests it's stripped of everything that makes MH what it is.

MH has been stuck in 2004 for years. Eventually it will need to evolve.

You're saying the series hasn't changed since the first game? Have you played a Monster Hunter game since the first game?

StereoVsn

I just don't understand what would be the point for Capcom. Why couldn't they release Switch/PS4/PC MH5 and call it a day?

This way PS4 players get a "MH5" only in name, Switch players get a delay and PC players probably won't get jack or a very late port.

It makes no sense for Sony to moneyhat MH to get traction in Japanese market on PS4...since they don't give a Jack about it. They are selling 16-17 million PS4s a year as it is and that's before $200 official PS4 pricing. Even if they wanted to moneyhat MH for the Japanese market they wouldn't streamline it. I guess Sony might want MH type game for the West but you already have Gods Eater, Toukiden, upcoming Dragons Dogma port, etc..:

I guess if you take Capcom at being completely incompetent then it would happen but it would be just puzzling.

Kyoufu

Stuck in 2004? In what way? Talking about graphics again? The gameplay has been evolving with each and every entry.

The fact that each map is split into small zones with loading screens. That's a PS2 hardware limitation. Look at Dauntless and other hunting games these days. They have seamless maps.

I mean, you can't even re-join your fellow hunters if you've disconnected during a hunt. Find me any modern co-op game where that'd be acceptable.

oti

Banned
No i am saying its a bad deal for Sony. This, if true, is actually a good deal for capcom. They gonna make 2 lines of MH games now with the possiblity of catching a wider audience and get payed for it? awesome

TBH. if i would be sony(or Nintendo or Microsoft for that matter) i would either abandon japan as a factor in stationry gaming system because japan doesnt care. PS4 had what in the last month? Yakuza, Nier, Persona, FF all back to back and did basicly jackshit. And PS4 is only a succesor in a line of home consoles that severly underperformed in japan.

Also, even if i am not a expert on fighting games community, i am 100 % sure the SFV deal was not done with japan on mind

You don't just "abandon" Japan. That's your home market.

I say it's bad for Japan because I don't have much faith in them making a MH game that is successfull in the West and still a MH. I just picture the situation if gamers in the West going "this is worse than what we have over here, why would I bother" and Japan going "what is this". That way they'd destroy a lot of goodwill with their fanbase.

As I've said, I'd like to see this easier version of MH. It sounds interesting. I don't know if it would good at all, but I still want to see it.

Costia

Sounds strange to me.
AFAIK most of the MH fans are on portable platforms, doesn't look like it will do well on a home console.
Additionally, PS4 already has games that can probably directly compete with MH, while i am not aware of any MH-like games on 3ds/switch.
So if it's true, i wouldn't expect it to sell well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Monster Hunter won't ever end up on Xbox One.

The rumour is saying Sony didn't bother paying to keep it off Xbox One. Doesn't mean Capcom would bother porting it there.

Patapwn

Nintendo has their grubby little hands on MH and there's no way I see that changing. If capcom wanted to maintain a presence with ps gamers they would have made a vita game.

And if Sony wants to drop money on something great they should pick up DD2

Honestly if I look at this rumor as a gamer and not somebody worried about a company's financials or game sales I'd love a monster hunter in PS4 exclusive or not

The fact that each map is split into small zones with loading screens. That's a PS2 hardware limitation. Look at Dauntless and other hunting games these days. They have seamless maps.

MHO does have the segmented maps as well.

The biggest reason why the rumor doesn't make sense is: why would Sony be desperate for Japan and then order a westernized MH, while Switch gets the one for Japan?

BooJoh

I mean, you can't even re-join your fellow hunters if you've disconnected during a hunt. Find me any modern co-op game where that'd be acceptable.

From what I've seen, Dauntless should just do away with monsters running away because there's no tracking it down, you just turn toward where it went and run forward for about a minute. I'm all for getting rid of loading times but areas are a benefit to the tracking and arena-style combat of the gameplay.

Orayn

My position is just what capcom themselves have said in their reports. They're making a big deal about making the brand into something with worldwide appeal. Thus far it's the western market where that is failing. It definitely has it's fans in the west, but for whatever reason they want more. I can't think of any other ways they'd be able to get more fans on board without either changing the games currently drastically (not good) or trying to make another game within the series with those changes (At least not fully destroying what is there).

The series has been steadily growing overseas despite being relegated to systems that are generally less popular outside of Japan after Tri. I think going multi-plat (including Switch, obv.) while making smart, incremental improvements like 4 would be the best way to serve the largest possible audience.

Jawmuncher

Monster Hunter won't ever end up on Xbox One.

The rumour is saying Sony didn't bother paying to keep it off Xbox One. Doesn't mean Capcom would bother porting it there.

I think it'd depend on how much westernization happened. The only Capcom game off the top of my head this gen that hasn't been on Xbox One (With a western release) was Umbrella Corps.

The series has been steadily growing overseas despite being relegated to systems that are generally less popular overseas after Tri. I think going multi-plat (including Switch, obv.) while making smart, incremental improvements like 4 would be the best way to serve the largest possible audience.

That would definitely be the best case scenario

Even if they did, would it be worth the lost sales in Japan? Why would they ditch Nintendo just as they hit upon what appears to be solid gold again? If the Switch was doing badly I could understand it, but it's been doing great so far and a lot of the heavy hitters are yet to come.

I agree with you, this is a dumb idea for both Sony and Capcom. I was just pointing out that Sony could easily do what Nintendo has been doing for the franchise in the west.

Oregano

I said it earlier in another thread but the idea that the publisher who took their biggest franchise(RE) and made a lower budget, lower expectations game and has been pumping out MH 3DS games yearly(which they said they want to continue) is suddenly going to start producing two entirely different series of higher budget HD Monster Hunters sounds weird. It's not impossible but that aspect is uncharacteristic.

Taking MH5 in a purely multiplatform direction seems like a much lower risk, lower effort strategy. They've already made a ton of QoL changes in recent games so trimming a bit of fat wouldn't be unsurprising.

EDIT:

If all that matters is sales how come they dropped the PSP? MHP3rd is still the best selling game in the series and PSP could easily have gotten 3DS ports.

No it couldn't. The 3DS MH games are on another level technically and they run on MT Framework which PSP definitely doesn't support.

I don't get why people are saying the MH5 on PS4 rumor doesn't make sense.

Yeah, the two stated goals seem somewhat conflicting, but you have to look at it from each company's perspective:

• Sony sees an opportunity to leverage the Monster Hunter brand in Japan.
  • Capcom sees an opportunity to strengthen Monster Hunter in the West by making it open world and having it on the most popular home console.
This is typically how agreements like this work. Both parties see something to gain.

You could argue all day that this won't work like they hope it will, of course.

Kyoufu

From what I've seen, Dauntless should just do away with monsters running away because there's no tracking it down, you just turn toward where it went and run forward for about a minute. I'm all for getting rid of loading times but areas are a benefit to the tracking and arena-style combat of the gameplay.

Well I'm not going to say Dauntless is what MH5 or whatever should strive to be. I've got plenty of issues with Dauntless, but that's a game in development and for another thread entirely, but there's so much potential in a seamless map that I'm sure Tsujimoto and others have been thinking about for a long time now. They just haven't had the hardware to really take MH into a new generation with those features in place.

Nah. No one uses QTEs anymore.

MH already has QTEs.

I don't get why people are saying the MH5 on PS4 rumor doesn't make sense.

Yeah, the two stated goals seem somewhat conflicting, but you have to look at it from each company's perspective:

• Sony sees an opportunity to leverage the Monster Hunter brand in Japan.
  • Capcom sees an opportunity to strengthen Monster Hunter in the West by making it open world and having it on the most popular home console.
This is typically how agreements like this work. Both parties see something to gain.

You could argue all day that this won't work like they hope it will, of course.
why would capcom abandon the 3DS market which is far from dead?

Cerium

just screams of a Nintendo fan who is trying to rationalize the rumors that another main-entry MH game is coming & missing the Switch.

I think you have your wires crossed. This is the original source of the rumors of a main entry MH coming and missing the Switch. There is no other.

If you don't believe the rumor, there is no reason to believe Switch is missing anything.

Xater

There are tons of things that could use a make over in MH. I would still be pissed if I finally get my MH with modern graphics and it's some watered down bullshit. If they touch prep or the combat it would suck. Everything else is kinda fair game. Like Kyoufu said, the entire way the online infrastructure works could use some work. Proper open world instead of zones would also be great.

Dynheart

Banned
Another thing that does not make sense is that I constantly read that Capcom and Sony are at odds with each other. Narrowing it down to MH specifically, I have read that a deal with Capcom and Sony fell through with the 3rd MH game, on top of Nintendo being aggressive, that's how MH ended up on 3DS for so long.

Expending it further, beyond the MH debacle, you would think the tension between the companies would NOT be in favor for a partnership. Make a MH game for the PS4, sure. A partnership with exclusives and all that jazz? Usually the business relations between companies have to be pretty high for that to happen.

Upon reading further, is it sounds like there is no trust from either end. Blame game, finger pointing, etc, it sounds like a volatile partnership.

I'm not saying a PS4 MH is not happening, but this exclusivity/contract thing just does not add up. My guess is that MH5 will me multi-plat, with a possibility being the PS4 version released first.

Korigama

If all that matters is sales how come they dropped the PSP? MHP3rd is still the best selling game in the series and PSP could easily have gotten 3DS ports.
What would've been the point of backporting to an older, weaker platform like PSP instead of making Vita versions if they wanted to continue supporting Sony hardware?

Also, I never said sales were all that mattered.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Or the Switch, which looks to be Nintendo striking gold again?

Hell, the last time a MonHun game came to the West on 3DS Nintendo gave it a huge rollout and debuted it alongside the new 3DS. It was practically the flagship game for the system. Why would they not want that same level of treatment for their next game?

Style

Banned
First of all, it was posted a couple of hours before the actual title was revealed. Games usually leak right before their announcement because that's when several people outside of the development team (PR, retailers, etc.) hear about it. It's probably someone who picked it up from there and decided to add made up rumors to a reliable scoop.

Second, I find it hard to believe that a random Japanese developer (I don't think Capcom will hand over Monster Hunter to their western studios) plays WOW and convieniently knows those elaborate details about their contract with Sony AND communication with Nintendo. I don't buy this at all.

Watch it happen now that I said that.

Anteo

Another thing that does not make sense is that I constantly read that Capcom and Sony are at odds with each other. Narrowing it down to MH specifically, I have read that a deal with Capcom and Sony fell through with the 3rd MH game, on top of Nintendo being aggressive, that's how MH ended up on 3DS for so long.

Expending it further, beyond the MH debacle, you would think the tension between the companies would NOT be in favor for a partnership. Make a MH game for the PS4, sure. A partnership with exclusives and all that jazz? Usually the business relations between companies have to be pretty high for that to happen.

Upon reading further, is it sounds like there is no trust from either end. Blame game, finger pointing, etc, it sounds like a volatile partnership.

I'm not saying a PS4 MH is not happening, but this exclusivity/contract thing just does not add up. My guess is that MH5 will me multi-plat, with a possibility being the PS4 version released first.

That's what the rumor says, its just blocked from being a Switch game.

Demoli

MH Frontier was below expectations for Capcom, Nintendo ones weren't. PS4 is cancerous to the series. Capcom won't make the mistake of putting it on PS4 again

Now look, i think this rumour is bs and all that, and with the XX reveal I 100% think that the franchise will stay on the switch.

But Frontier PS4 doing badly doesnt indiciate that PS4 is bad for Mon Hun, it indicates that Frontier is bad for Mon Hun

Given the game looks like it's targeted for 2018, maybe they assumed 3DS would be pretty much be at its end by that time?

And I imagine they went PS4 over Switch because, looking at the timing of this contract, it would've been before Nintendo made the Switch properly known to developers.

Seems like a case of poor timing and Capcom being Capcom. Not to say that the agreement is real. Just that everything seems to fit well enough.

Rncewind

You don't just "abandon" Japan. That's your home market.

Is there any secret business plan i missing where sinking money in something that is factually proven to be a non profit endavor a good thing? Or a rule that state this?

Also you are aware of the Launch of the ps4 yes? that it launched several months after in japan as in rest of the world? We are not in 2002 any more with PS2 and japan, there is no "home" market for a company like sony and if there is one it is definitly, in a finance point, not japan.

I say it's bad for Japan because I don't have much faith in them making a MH game that is successfull in the West and still a MH. I just picture the situation if gamers in the West going "this is worse than what we have over here, why would I bother" and Japan going "what is this". That way they'd destroy a lot of goodwill with their fanbase.

Thats a little bit of adhominem because Capcom already introduced a lot of changes in the recent part entrys with arts and basicly qtes that they simply dont care. Also i can say they are definitvly points of monster hunter, of course subjectivly, that can be streamlined and would be addition to enjoyment for diffrent types of players.

Also is this not the whole logic behind it. They making a split to NOT allinate their fanbase

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's what the rumor says, its just blocked from being a Switch game.

Why would Capcom agree not to support the Switch though? If it were doing badly then it might make sense, but it's doing very well! Why would they cut their own balls off in Japan?

Patapwn

That was 13 years ago, back when console online game was in its infancy. The ps4 market is incredibly different from the ps2 market. I for one think an activity based RPG focused on online social play would be massively popular not unlike Destiny if properly marketed (big focus on community like LFG, clans, etc. Marketing it as Bloodborne meets Destiny). In the ps2 days very few people played online on their console.

The idea that MH won't succeed on consoles because of ps2 MH performance is indeed dumb. There is no evidence that a full scale PS4/Xbox/PC MH would fail. It could, but it also could be a great success maybe even with a successful Gaas model that publishers get wet dreams over.

The only way to know for certain is if Capcom actually tries. Keeping the franchise locked to Nintendo is safe though so I understand why this hasn't happened

I think you have your wires crossed. This is the original source of the rumors of a main entry MH coming and missing the Switch. There is no other.

If you don't believe the rumor, there is no reason to believe Switch is missing anything.

This might be the original leaker, but they are not the only group running rumors about a PS4 MH game. There was that one media outlet that ran a similar story recently, that didn't source the original 4chan rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom