• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Producer

The fact that each map is split into small zones with loading screens. That's a PS2 hardware limitation. Look at Dauntless and other hunting games these days. They have seamless maps.

I mean, you can't even re-join your fellow hunters if you've disconnected during a hunt. Find me any modern co-op game where that'd be acceptable.

Toukiden also has zones. Its a design decision

Cerium

This might be the original leaker, but they are not the only group running rumors about a PS4 MH game. There was that one media outlet that ran a similar story recently, that didn't source the original 4chan rumors.

You were trying to characterize the rumor as a fanboy reaction, I'm pointing out that's impossible because there was nothing to react to. Everything else is a reaction to this.

Kyoufu

I think something a lot of people misunderstand is that if MH5 or whatever it's called ends up on platforms not named Switch then that doesn't mean the series is not going to be on Switch ever. Capcom made MH3 on Wii while also making the Portable series on PSP. There's no reason why they won't be able to do that again and obviously MHXX is a good indicator that they're not abandoning Nintendo.

Just like with virtually every other 3rd party franchise, Monster Hunter will go multiplatform.

oti

Banned
Is there any secret business plan i missing where sinking money in something that is factually proven to be a non profit endavor a good thing? Or a rule that state this?

Also you are aware of the Launch of the ps4 yes? that it launched several months after in japan as in rest of the world? We are not in 2002 any more with PS2 and japan, there is no "home" market for a company like sony and if there is one it is definitly, in a finance point, not japan.

Thats a little bit of adhominem because Capcom already introduced a lot of changes in the recent part entrys with arts and basicly qtes that they simply dont care. Also i can say they are definitvly points of monster hunter, of course subjectivly, that can be streamlined and would be addition to enjoyment for diffrent types of players.

Also is this not the whole logic behind it. They making a split to NOT allinate their fanbase

Yes, the West is higher priority, but Sony will never abandon Japan. That would be a terrible mistake to do for them as a company and the brand PlayStation.

I would love to see a streamlined version. But I'm not someone who 's super into MH right now.

Two versions are good and all, but if your next MH, not a spin-off but MH5, skips the platform that built your fanbase over the last few years, you don't see how that could alienate your biggest fans?

This all sounds a bit far fetched, but a more streamlined, faster passed, less busy work heavy MH sounds great, and could work really well as a Destiny/Division/GR:Wildlands MMO-Light title.

Why would Capcom agree not to support the Switch though? If it were doing badly then it might make sense, but it's doing very well! Why would they cut their own balls off in Japan?

The Switch was only announced in January. This contract is rumored to have been made last year.

If it happened, it's likely the clause would've vaguely referred to Nintendo's next console, as opposed to the Switch itself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Given the game looks like it's targeted for 2018, maybe they assumed 3DS would be pretty much be at its end by that time?

And I imagine they went PS4 over Switch because, looking at the timing of this contract, it would've been before Nintendo made the Switch properly known to developers.

Seems like a case of poor timing and Capcom being Capcom. Not to say that the agreement is real. Just that everything seems to fit well enough.

Given how aggressively Nintendo went after MonHun, I have a hard time believing that Capcom didn't know the Switch was coming in some form. Hell, Nintendo put out a 3DS add-on just for MonHun.

The Switch was only announced in January. This contract is rumored to have been made last year.

If it happened, it's likely the clause would've vaguely referred to Nintendo's next console, as opposed to the Switch itself.

Seriously though, it makes no sense that Nintendo wouldn't have given them a head's up well before January. Especially with moves they've made in the past.

EDarkness

Why would Capcom agree not to support the Switch though? If it were doing badly then it might make sense, but it's doing very well! Why would they cut their own balls off in Japan?

If this rumor is true, then it's possible that they figured the NS would sell the same as the Wii U, so it wouldn't matter. Of course, now that the system is doing well, they'd have to reevaluate that, but if contracts have been signed, then their hands would be tied. Couldn't blame them considering how the Wii U sold.

I just don't understand why Sony would consider the NS a threat unless they figured the system would be a success and thought they'd get that sorted out early.

Given how aggressively Nintendo went after MonHun, I have a hard time believing that Capcom didn't know the Switch was coming in some form. Hell, Nintendo put out a 3DS add-on just for MonHun.

I'm sure they knew Nintendo was making new hardware, but it seemed Nintendo was keeping the Switch's secrets pretty close to the chest until near the end of last year.

Edit: I guess it depends on when in the year the contract was signed.

I could easily see Capcom making a dumb decision just because Nintendo hadn't laid all their cards on the table yet. It's Capcom.

Oregano

I think something a lot of people misunderstand is that if MH5 or whatever it's called ends up on platforms not named Switch then that doesn't mean the series is not going to be on Switch ever. Capcom made MH3 on Wii while also making the Portable series on PSP. There's no reason why they won't be able to do that again and obviously MHXX is a good indicator that they're not abandoning Nintendo.

Just like with virtually every other 3rd party franchise, Monster Hunter will go multiplatform.

Right but that ignores that there's an obvious reason they moved away from that model of release in favour of making MH4 on a portable straight off the bat. It worked really for them too considering MH4 and MH4U both sold over 4 million copies.

Rncewind

Or the Switch, which looks to be Nintendo striking gold again?

Hell, the last time a MonHun game came to the West on 3DS Nintendo gave it a huge rollout and debuted it alongside the new 3DS. It was practically the flagship game for the system. Why would they not want that same level of treatment for their next game?

Not trying to be rude but you guys are arguing as if this things are determined on the fly? Game devolpment starts and goes on for years, and if this rumor is true such deals are made even before that.

Im pretty sure capcom, or nobody else, have the even the tiniest evidence that Nintendo would be "striking gold" when such decissions are made. Heck nobody would have bet money on this even several months ago actually.

That line of argumentation doesnt make sense

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If this rumor is true, then it's possible that they figured the NS would sell the same as the Wii U, so it wouldn't matter. Of course, now that the system is doing well, they'd have to reevaluate that, but if contracts have been signed, then their hands would be tied. Couldn't blame them considering how the Wii U sold.

I just don't understand why Sony would consider the NS a threat unless they figured the system would be a success and thought they'd get that sorted out early.

If this rumor is true they simply are not cutting off the switch
It is like saying that they cut off the psp during the Wii era

Seriously though, it makes no sense that Nintendo wouldn't have given them a head's up well before January. Especially with moves they've made in the past.

If SE was given a heads up by Nintendo about the Switch years earlier in regards to DQ11, I HIGHLY doubt Capcom wasn't in the loop on the Switch as well.

gogogow

The fact that each map is split into small zones with loading screens. That's a PS2 hardware limitation. Look at Dauntless and other hunting games these days. They have seamless maps.

I mean, you can't even re-join your fellow hunters if you've disconnected during a hunt. Find me any modern co-op game where that'd be acceptable.

What does another game has to do with MH? So what if that game is open world? There has been plenty of open world games on the PS2. Also, not every game needs to be open world. Have fun hauling your ass up from 1 to 9 and when that Rathalos flies to 2, have fun running all the way back down. And when you don't know where it went, good luck running around and find it in a huge open world map. That just doesn't sound fun to me.

All the network stuff you mentioned can be fixed software wise in any MH game on any platform if they chose so.

The rumor says Switch gets a new portable one from the main team. That's why it doesn't make sense, when Sony was desperate for Japan and ordered a western one.

oti

Banned

This deal was made years ago. If it was made at all, that is.

Scum

How many rumors did we burn trough since Monster Hunter went to Nintendo?

I just find it weird that Sony are willing to put effort into getting MH for the PS4 now, but did no such thing for the Vita, which would have made even more sense years ago.

Monster Hunter has been stuck in time since the PSP finished, there was no positive aspect gameplay wise to the game going onto 3DS. Be it Switch or PS4, this will surely finally be the time Capcom start putting effort into the franchise again in several years.

They are such a shitshow of a company now though, fucking shame what happened with them. Their games don't seem to have a decent budget anymore and Capcom simply aren't good at developing games any longer.

I most certainly would take a proper Monster Hunter on PS4 but fuck knows if that happens. A MH made ground up for Switch is the best we can expect and considering that piece of shit in plastic form that is 3DS will be around for some time, a proper Switch MH will be a long ways away. :(

EhoaVash

Yeah this has been hinted at for a while

Seeing it at E3 would be cool.

Open world monster hunter game with online co-op, no loading times, etc more streaming th series sounds good to me.

might finally make monster hunter more enjoyable to me. Instead of playing it on a smaller device with ps2 visual and outdated mechanics

Orayn

Monster Hunter has been stuck in time since the PSP finished, there was no positive aspect gameplay wise to the game going onto 3DS. Be it Switch or PS4, this will surely finally be the time Capcom start putting effort into the franchise again in several years.

They are such a shitshow of a company now though, fucking shame what happened with them. Their games don't seem to have a decent budget anymore and Capcom simply aren't good at developing games any longer.

I most certainly would take a proper Monster Hunter on PS4 but fuck knows when that happens. A MH made ground up for Switch is the best we can expect and considering that piece of shit in plastic form that is 3DS will be around for some time, a proper Switch MH will be a long ways away. :(

MH4 makes pretty big changes to basic things like movement and level design but sure, let's pretend the series has been nothing but re-releases of MHFU since 2010.

DMONKUMA

I don't understand what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit?

Basically you will have the traditional/classic that we know and love on the Switch, while there will be another one focused more towards western audience that releases on the other systems.

Dynheart

Banned

I think it is more confusion than misunderstanding.

Why pay big time money, and then draw up a contract, just for Capcom to still make MH games on the Switch and 3DS? Does not sound like a typical exclusivity contract. Whether it is timed, or full on exclusive, seeing MHXX on the Switch after this alleged contract signing seems to go against any and all exclusivity contracts/partnerships. It does not matter if it is MH5 or not, paying big time money to keep just "MH5" alone, while Nintendo still gets MH games....

It does not make sense.

Porcile

Sounds like a complete load of shit. If they didn't lose their credibility in your eyes with all the boardroom banter shit, then I don't know what to say GAF. The only reason this rumour exists is because Monster Hunter 5 exclusive on any other console besides a Nintendo console would obviously come off as completely laughable, so they chuck in the westernised Monster Hunter as bone to lend their obviously made up information some credibility.

The series bread and butter is a portable experience tailored to the Japanese market. What would the point of a westernised Monster Hunter even be? Capcom barely has the cohesiveness to make fully featured games these days, so now they have to develop two games side by side, with one obviously needing to be a high quality AAA product to get any traction in a highly competitive market. Square performed some miraculous shit with Nier but they had the pedigree of Platinum behind them, and a completely different kind of expectation about what the game would be. How exactly is a westernised Monster Hunter, which at this point has zero brand recognition within the western Sony audience, going to fly in that highly competitive market?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't understand what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit?

This:

The same rumor states that Switch will get traditional MH under different name.

If we are talking about the rumored, the rumored clearly says that the "real" MH game would still be made by the main team with the traditional gameplay for Switch, after MHXX

so, Sony paying for a MH spinoff (gameplay wise) for the western market doesn't sound like capcom cutting of the switch at all

Don't be mad. This is actually relevant since Capcom has only one game to announce for this FY, so it's either MH, or DMC or maybe Dragon's Dogma.

1d0416739c31389a56dafaf0a2e8cf79.jpg

jdstorm

Banned
The idea that MH won't succeed on consoles because of ps2 MH performance is indeed dumb. There is no evidence that a full scale PS4/Xbox/PC MH would fail. It could, but it also could be a great success maybe even with a successful Gaas model that publishers get wet dreams over.

The only way to know for certain is if Capcom actually tries. Keeping the franchise locked to Nintendo is safe though so I understand why this hasn't happened

This statement makes no sense. Destiny was a PS360 game. Xenoblade X and Zelda BotW were Wii U games. The Switch wouldnt hardware limit any open world Monster Hunter game and targeting the Switch would arguably help the PS4Pro/Scorpio hit true 4K. (A selling point for western consumers)

Personally i think this rumor is extremely plausible.

Kyoufu

Right but that ignores that there's an obvious reason they moved away from that model of release in favour of making MH4 on a portable straight off the bat. It worked really for them too considering MH4 and MH4U both sold over 4 million copies.

So Capcom has this multi-million selling IP in their domestic market but when they try to sell it overseas, it doesn't do as well. They've stated that the handheld market is only 10% or so of the entire market in the west. They're not going to see growth from a minority market in the west. Consoles are the popular dedicated gaming platforms here, so that's where they need to be if they want any chance of having a multi-million selling IP outside of Japan.

gogogow

I think it is more confusion than misunderstanding.

Why pay big time money, and then draw up a contract, just for Capcom to still make MH games on the Switch and 3DS? Does not sound like a typical exclusivity contract. Whether it is timed, or full on exclusive, seeing MHXX on the Switch after this alleged contract signing seems to go against any and all exclusivity contracts/partnerships.

It does not make sense.

Not really. Capcom would not abandon Nintendo handhelds/Switch. Nintendo has the monopoly there for the dedicated portable market. They will not give up 4+m potential sales on a Nintendo portable device.

By making another MH game, an exclusive one for Sony, they will only make more money. It's a win-win for Capcom. Diehard MH fans will keep getting traditional MH games on Nintendo devices and Capcom gets money for a new exclusive MH games that might make it more popular in the West on consoles.

Nanashrew

Banned
I wonder how fans will react to MH5 and all its big changes. Fans are important for the success just as much as bringing in new people because you want to keep a solid foundation.

But if Switch gets the traditional games, it means they have a fall back plan.

Takao

Banned
I said it earlier in another thread but the idea that the publisher who took their biggest franchise(RE) and made a lower budget, lower expectations game and has been pumping out MH 3DS games yearly(which they said they want to continue) is suddenly going to start producing two entirely different series of higher budget HD Monster Hunters sounds weird. It's not impossible but that aspect is uncharacteristic.

Taking MH5 in a purely multiplatform direction seems like a much lower risk, lower effort strategy. They've already made a ton of QoL changes in recent games so trimming a bit of fat wouldn't be unsurprising.

I don't believe this rumor but the bolded would've been an inevitability had Monster Hunter Stories done what Capcom expected. I think it's clear they wanted that to be a lot more than a one and done. If they were willing to position MH for two different markets, I guess there's a chance they might do a western-focused MH. Maybe even tied to the incoming Paul W.S. Anderson mess.

why would capcom abandon the 3DS market which is far from dead?

I'd be very surprised if there's another major Monster Hunter game on 3DS. They've been facing diminishing returns in Japan for a while now and it'll be a hard sell in the west in 2018+. Capcom ditched PSP immediatedly after Portable 3rd launched, despite that game's Japan-only release still being the franchise's best selling game overall.

MH Frontier was below expectations for Capcom, Nintendo ones weren't. PS4 is cancerous to the series. Capcom won't make the mistake of putting it on PS4 again

Monster Hunter Frontier is on a Nintendo platform. In fact, that one is the worst selling version of the game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not trying to be rude but you guys are arguing as if this things are determined on the fly? Game devolpment starts and goes on for years, and if this rumor is true such deals are made even before that.

Im pretty sure capcom, or nobody else, have the even the tiniest evidence that Nintendo would be "striking gold" when such decissions are made. Heck nobody would have bet money on this even several months ago actually.

That line of argumentation doesnt make sense

This is my point:

If SE was given a heads up by Nintendo about the Switch years earlier in regards to DQ11, I HIGHLY doubt Capcom wasn't in the loop on the Switch as well.

Nintendo chased MonHun pretty hard back in the day, why would they not give Capcom a head's up when they gave SE one?

It makes no sense. This whole thing just feels like highly sophisticated port-begging.

Oregano

So Capcom has this multi-million selling IP in their domestic market but when they try to sell it overseas, it doesn't do as well. They've stated that the handheld market is only 10% or so of the entire market in the west. They're not going to see growth from a minority market in the west. Consoles are the popular dedicated gaming platforms here, so that's where they need to be if they want any chance of having a multi-million selling IP outside of Japan.

Okay but the lower risk, lower cost plan would be to make MH5 a Switch/PS4(/PC) release.

Going from one line of 3DS games to two entirely separate, more expensive, line of games seems out of character for modern Capcom.

Also the Switch's whole thing is about being both a console and handheld and Iwata said years ago that it was about appealing to the divergent preferences of the west and Japan.

EDIT:
I don't believe this rumor but the bolded would've been an inevitability had Monster Hunter Stories done what Capcom expected. I think it's clear they wanted that to be a lot more than a one and done. If they were willing to position MH for two different markets, I guess there's a chance they might do a western-focused MH. Maybe even tied to the incoming Paul W.S. Anderson mess.

MH Stories was made by Marvelous AQL though. Unless they are outsourcing it to Ninja Theory or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom