• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parshias7

This rumor has so many parts that seem fine on their own but combine to be a bunch of nonsense.

Sony wants to improve their lot in Japan, so they've money hatted a Western focused Monster Hunter... that would sell worse than normal in Japan.

But they've also put it in the contract that this new Monster Hunter absolutely can't be on Switch... but traditional Monster Hunter games by the main team still can. Never mind that a Western focused MH would probably do better in the West on PS4 even if it was multiplat with Switch.

Oh, and Sony doesn't want to announce the game until it is close to launch... even though Sony has shown themselves to have no problems with announcing games that are 2-3+ years out from launch before. And while they're staying quiet they apparently also have no problems with Capcom announcing a MH port for the Switch which might lead the MH fanbase in Japan to expect the series to continue on that platform.

Sounds like a real load to me. I don't see Capcom wanting to move away from the handheld userbase in Japan, so at most I could see a PS4 Monster Hunter being multiplat with a Switch version.

gogogow

Except the rumour says Sony only paid to keep the game off Switch and not off PC or XB1 which is not like the Bayonetta 2 situation.

In that case it might be a timed exclusive? None of us knows how much money Sony paid for this. It might not be that much and Sony will be getting exclusive DLC. That was a pretty popular Sony strategy for a while.

With handhelds being the only viable platforms in Japan where most of the fanbase is, and mainly Nintendo handling the franchise in the west, I don't see how even a Switch/PS4 multi-plat release is likely.

Capcom would risk losing Nintendo's marketing push. Switch is also getting more popular worldwide at a very rapid pace, so it may not even be necessary to look elsewhere.

On handhelds MH5 is almost guaranteed to sell at least 4 million in Japan + 1 million elsewhere. For PS4 it may barely do more than 1 million in its homeland if FFXV sales are any indication, which means sales in other regions would need to make up the difference. Add the fact that MH currently has no presence on PS4 and it becomes a lot less likely.

The only way MH is coming to PS4 is if it's either a spin-off or a late port of MH5. The other possibility is that Sony paid enough to make up the difference in potential revenue on Nintendo's platforms, which would be a fairly expensive cheque to cut.

I agree on the ranged weapons though, I've tried Bow several times in Tri U, 4U and Generations and it just sucks.

Bow is one of the better weapons in Generations. And was beyond broken in TriU (Kelvi bow). It's better to think about it as a medium range melee weapon. You have to remain close to the monster.

HBG is (after GS) probably the best weapon in all games. Hame sets trivialise any monster.

Rumor sound ridiculous. And if true, Sony basically played themselves.

Desperate for Japan, they pay for a MH game that's nothing like MH while the Switch gets a traditional one?

Stupid as stupid can be.

Kyoufu

Bow is one of the better weapons in Generations. And was beyond broken in TriU (Kelvi bow). It's better to think about it as a medium range melee weapon. You have to remain close to the monster.

HBG is (after GS) probably the best weapon in all games. Hame sets trivialise any monster.

We're not talking about how powerful the weapons are. We're talking about how awful they are to control. It's a nightmare for any newcomer and I still hate it as a veteran.

Also, Capcom is the only one to blame for SFV, they decided to get it out before the tournament when it instead needed 6 months +.
I don't know how you can say it needed 6 more months, when 15 months later the game still doesn't have a simple ass Arcade Mode.

Anyway, back on topic. If they are gonna change all of that, then why even call it MH? I haven't played any MH game but the "leak" in the OP paints the picture of them completely tearing down the series and changing it into something else. I'm usually up for these things, so if the end result turns out to be great then you won't find me complaining. But judging by some of the reactions in this thread, it seems like some fans believe that a game like that won't even be a MH game to begin with.

So, just call it something else. It's not like MH brand is super strong in the west or anything like that.

Dynheart

Banned
This rumor has so many parts that seem fine on their own but combine to be a bunch of nonsense.

Sony wants to improve their lot in Japan, so they've money hatted a Western focused Monster Hunter... that would sell worse than normal in Japan.

But they've also put it in the contract that this new Monster Hunter absolutely can't be on Switch... but traditional Monster Hunter games by the main team still can. Never mind that a Western focused MH would probably do better in the West on PS4 even if it was multiplat with Switch.

Oh, and Sony doesn't want to announce the game until it is close to launch... even though Sony has shown themselves to have no problems with announcing games that are 2-3+ years out from launch before. And while they're staying quiet they apparently also have no problems with Capcom announcing a MH port for the Switch which might lead the MH fanbase in Japan to expect the series to continue on that platform.

Sounds like a real load to me. I don't see Capcom wanting to move away from the handheld userbase in Japan, so at most I could see a PS4 Monster Hunter being multiplat with a Switch version.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Delio

Yeah im not sure how people can look at this and cling to it if you really read it. Just doesnt make sense why Sony would make a deal like that and even allow ANY version of MH on another console let alone the "main" team version.

Yjynx

I dont know about this rumour but MH PS4 makes alot of sense. It appeal broadly and the trend now is for MP co-op. Lets see how capcom handle the game though.

Oregano

To be honest, Toukiden 2 is just a shit game. I can't name one thing I like about it. The same goes for the first one as well. Monster Hunter has always been in a different league from Toukiden, seamless or not and I bet Capcom's development staff have been dreaming of new things to implement in MH if hardware permitted for years now.

Well I went from MH on PS2 to Tri to the 3DS games and have never owned a PSP or Vita(or PS4) so the only clone game I've played is FF Explorers which I only played for about 3 hours despite it being perfect for me on paper as a Crystal Chronicles fanboy.

MonHun working with zones is a design choice that works. Not sure why people think that this is an hardware limitation.

I'm sure that Verendus' promise of two monster hunter games exclusive to PS4 will come true just after other leaks such as Virtua Fighter 6 PS4 exclusive, that 1st party Sony JRPG, FFVI remake, and countless others.
Belee dat.

Where's Xenosaga HD Trilogy?

In that case it might be a timed exclusive? None of us knows how much money Sony paid for this. It might not be that much and Sony will be getting exclusive DLC. That was a pretty popular Sony strategy for a while.

*shrugs* Could be, as I said it's the specifics of this rumour I find unlikely but not the general idea.

The rumor would have been a lot more plausible 5-7 years ago when Capcom was in their peak Westaboo phase with the likes of DmC, LP3, RE6, ORC, the cancelled Maverick Hunter, etc.

These days, the idea that they'd drastically alter a successful franchise in Japan, at great expense, for the mere possibility of growing the audience in the West is a lot harder to believe. Especially when they already made one AAA open-world ARPG involving slaying giant monsters and it bombed in the West.

As for Sony... what would they be getting out of it, exactly? They don't need help selling PS4 in the West, they aren't getting a PS4 exclusive that's going to be particularly relevant in Japan, and they aren't even preventing Switch from getting the Japan-centric installments of the franchise.

I won't rule it out completely, but I'm not buying it until there's more evidence.

(also, the rumor called MHXX "cross-cross" and not "double cross")

We're not talking about how powerful the weapons are. We're talking about how awful they are to control. It's a nightmare for any newcomer and I still hate it as a veteran.

I'll give you HBG, they are a pain to control and take some time to get used.
But Bows are pretty straightforward. You just face the monster, push X and release it. Hitting weak points is more about positioning than aiming.

I'm not seeing the relevance of Toukiden 2's open world to a hypothetical MH open world. Toukiden 1 didn't have an open world and it was still garbage compared to Monster Hunter....

Anderson has already penned a script, which would involve an American being dragged into the parallel universe that the Monster Hunter series is set in, learning how to fight monsters, and then having to deal with the situation when monsters cross back into the real world and start attacking, such as a final climatic battle at Los Angeles International Airport.

From the Wikipedia Monster Hunter page.

My anticipation of MH5 has lowered quite a bit.

You can accept that the basic facts of this leak may be legit, while expressing doubt towards the source's interpretation of them.

Kneefoil

Could be true. Don't really think it's all that contradictory unlike some posters apparently do. Sony wants to increase sales of their console in Japan, so they make a contract for a new main Monster Hunter because the series is huge there. Capcom wants the series to appeal more to the west than it has with previous entries, so they "westernize" it. Sony may or may not care, but even if they do, it's not like they can tell Capcom how to make the game as long as it stays PS4 exclusive and is a Monster Hunter title. Capcom also makes a more traditional version in case the new type of game flops - that one should at least sell well in Japan, and they can probably reuse a lot of the assets.

Wouldn't be surprised no matter if this turns out to be a truthful rumour or not.

BDGAME

Monster Hunter is a true success as a portable franchise. Did Capcom truly want to risk kill the popularity of Monster Hunter don't launch it to any portable machine?

With the way Switch owners are eating up games, Capcom just has to wait for the system to hit its forecasted 10+ million mark next Spring to release MH5 and they won't have to release it on anything else.

Parshias7

You can accept that the basic facts of this leak may be legit, while expressing doubt towards the source's interpretation of them.

I'm sure there are plenty of leaks that make sense if you grab onto the parts you want to hear and throw out all the stuff that sounds stupid.

With XX having a port on another system and cross play the excuse that they care about splitting user base is invalid now. I expect 5 to be multiplat with possible cross play capability.

Oregano

With XX having a port on another system and cross play the excuse that they care about splitting user base is invalid now. I expect 5 to be multiplat with possible cross play capability.

Tri Ultimate already had cross play. Cross Play between 3DS and Switch vs PS4 and Switch are two entirely separate things.

A Switch/PS4 release wouldn't need crossplay though. No one is taking their PS4 on the go to play local multiplayer.

mas8705

I read through it and it left me scratching my head more times than I like to count. Don't get me wrong, if there was a case where both the PS4 and Switch could benefit from a MH5 release, then everyone wins, but from what this makes it sound like, Capcom would be making the deal with just Sony while giving Nintendo the boot (which makes zero sense considering how things have been lately. Not to mention that if Nintendo's stocks getting a sharp rise due to MHXX getting announced for Switch, that would almost be like a shot to the foot to then screw out Nintendo to go just Sony).

Producer

The original Toukiden led development on PSP.

Though, given Toukiden 2 went open world and intiated a sales collapse, maybe it should've been a design choice.

God Eater was also on psp and it was a full map. They couldve went with a full map if they wanted to.

BDGAME

They announced another portable MH game two days ago.

Yes, a port of a already released game. Cool.

Now remove the next numbered monster hunter from portable machines and see if the popularity of the franchise is the same.

Do you think that you Capcom want to risk that?

Kyoufu

God Eater was also on psp and it was a full map. They couldve went with a full map if they wanted to.

God Eater makes many sacrifices to do that. Capcom could go with a full map if they wanted to, but they'd have to dial down gathering spots in each area, number of minions, etc.

I think MH5 will release on both PS4 and Switch. Capcom will have two bases to attack the West and Japan itself. Hell, it might still come out on 3DS, unfortunately.

I'm calling BS, but more in a "oh no this makes sense knowing how Capcom has been doing this gen please don't let this happen" way then a "haha this would never happen" way. I'm not opposed to a PS4 Monster Hunter, but a more casual open world game goes against the series appeal as much as removing stamina from Dark Souls IMO.

Kyoufu

Yes, a port of a already released game. Cool.

Now remove the next numbered monster hunter from portable machines and see if the popularity of the franchise is the same.

Do you think that you Capcom want to risk that?

Did you know that the best selling MH game is not called MH1, MH2, MH3 or MH4? It's crazy, I know.

It really doesn't make a difference to me either way, but it's pretty shocking to see people ask "Why would Sony do this?". It's fucking Monster Hunter. They want a slice of the pie. No question about that.

NewGame

Banned
Even with that you still met people trying to do 140GQ without the stones.
Making Urgent quests offline-only could be a good idea. It would force people to get better, and would reduce the "Pld do Gog/Pls do Ala" spam

Lol people would just hit the wall and stop playing of this was the case.

I was going to quit tri after it wanted me to fight jhen and ala, i was like "how the crap am I supposed to finish this in 50 min?!"

pretty much forced me to find other players.

Kyoufu

Even with that you still met people trying to do 140GQ without the stones.
Making Urgent quests offline-only could be a good idea. It would force people to get better, and would reduce the "Pld do Gog/Pls do Ala" spam

They're trying to bring in more players to the series and what you're suggesting here would have the opposite effect. :p

Eolz

Thanks, checked through them they all mainly only state about the Capcom Nintendo partnership with MH but none talk about the Sony stuff or the P3rd rumour you mentioned and also if it's verified or not

I didn't link the P3rd rumour because this is something on the level of what is in the OP, or that "secret deal with Nintendo" that Vita fanboys liked to propagate.
It's just something about how Capcom wanted to bring P3rd (HD only I think) to the west, but Sony wanted to force them to add trophies and some weird ad-hoc system to the game I think. Capcom basically leaving in a bad way after that.

No reason to share that since it's just an old rumour.

For the links, I thought you wanted sources on what Nintendo brought to Capcom? There's obviously nothing about that PS4 rumour; since as far as we know, this isn't real...

To me it makes sense why Sony would pay for westernized Monster Hunter. First, they want it for ps4 which already limits the Japanese base and gives it a huge Western audience. It makes smart business sense to at least appeal to the main demographic of the hardware it will be on.
Second, they think, since its monster hunter, people in Japan will buy it anyway, no matter the amount of western streamlining they will do. It might hurt the brand after, but they don't care. Capcom does, which is why they are feeling nervous. In Sony's mind, they will get a ton of people in Japan to buy the ps4, and, if they westernized it, it has a good chance to be successful in the west, and be successful on THEIR platform, rather than Nintendo's. In an ideal world, Capcom finds a formula that makes it big in both places, and secures that success with PS4, leaving the brand with them, leaving Japan to Sony. In a not so ideal world, they get some people in Japan to buy the ps4, and the game finds some success. And they tried. Doesn't seem to be too risky for them, but a lot to gain.

Thoraxes

I wonder if alienating their growing core fanbase in the west is part of their strategy too. For a company so risk averse, almost everything about this sounds like a terrible idea for Capcom in that they're basically going to ruin what is a sure thing for them, then have to backpedal to make sure people switch over to the Portable series so they can keep making money. In the west they'd basically have to try to create a new fanbase for this game, since it won't play like the series people love.

I would never buy a shitty facsimile of a game in a series I love in this purported MH5 for PS4 because it sounds like it has none of the things people like about the series, while only improving the fidelity. That description sounds like absolute trash and I would never buy such a title, even if it meant i'd be stuck importing the "real" series from Japan.

Additionally, I don't think we'll ever the games with the core game-play go multi-platform unless they can figure out a way to enable cross-play between platforms. Which is kind of why I now think (after the XX Switch unveil) that Switch/3DS may be where they focus their efforts for a next core title (seriously, that part of the unveiling genuinely surprised me), especially since they'd be reluctant to have jumped all into Switch since the planning of the next game. Portability and local play is a key component of the game experience, and selling a version without both over there seems lie a bad idea. Would it suck to see them still held back by the 3DS? Sure, but they'll sleep on their piles of money just fine.

Second, they think, since its monster hunter, people in Japan will buy it anyway, no matter the amount of western streamlining they will do...
Have you seen the sales for Monster Hunter Stories? That's definitely not the case.

Vena

I imagine the idea would be to have it tie in with the movie but they never bothered with Resident Evil so I'm not sure they care to that extent.

Well, RE is a tainted movie brand and they are/were making that CG movie weren't they?

Costia

For some reason i assumed the portable part of the rumor was talking about a mobile game.
Bringing an exclusive MH spin-off game to the PS4 sounds more reasonable.

Jawmuncher

I imagine the idea would be to have it tie in with the movie but they never bothered with Resident Evil so I'm not sure they care to that extent.

Never a tie in to a movie true. But RE4-6 (Hell the series as a whole at that point onwards)were definitely easier games for the masses to pick up and play compared to Monser Hunter as well though.

I wonder if alienating their growing core fanbase in the west is part of their strategy too. For a company so risk averse, almost everything about this sounds like a terrible idea for Capcom in that they're basically going to ruin what is a sure thing for them, then have to backpedal to make sure people switch over to the Portable series so they can keep making money. In the west they'd basically have to try to create a new fanbase for this game, since it won't play like the series people love.

I would never buy a shitty facsimile of a game in a series I love in this purported MH5 for PS4 because it sounds like it has none of the things people like about the series, while only improving the fidelity. That description sounds like absolute trash and I would never buy such a title, even if it meant i'd be stuck importing the "real" series from Japan.

I don't think capcom would ever take things that far. At worst it'd be "I skip PS4 MHs and only play the Nintendo ones". They'd both come to the west if this were to happen.
Nintendo seems pleased enough with MH, even if capcom wants more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom