• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Appreciate Female Rappers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noname?
Noname.

She's worked with Saba, Mick Jenkins, and Chance and she herself is great.

Her debut album Telefone is wonderful. Also Syd from the Internet who had her own debut album come out a couple weeks ago.

You always got great music to listen to btw Blasian.
Noname is great, I really dig her flow.

Agree to disagree

I completely understand what people mean when they think of Nicki as "wasted potential", but she decided she was a pop-rapper years ago and does what she does well

Maybe she gets more aggressive if there's competition within the next few years? Idk but whatever the case she can keep killing these features

I completely understand what people mean when they think of Nicki as "wasted potential", but she decided she was a pop-rapper years ago and does what she does well

Maybe she gets more aggressive if there's competition within the next few years? Idk but whatever the case she can keep killing these features

Competition? Remy been back and Nicki hasn't done anything in a while....

royalan

Competition? Remy been back and Nicki hasn't done anything in a while....

Are they threatening each other's credibility or something? They're not competing with each other

The problem with Nicki is y'all gotta realize when she's rapping and when she's not.

Shit like Anaconda and Stupid Hoe is not rap. That's straight for the dance floor shit.

And her Pop features are just that: Pop

And even then she'll throw in those funny lines with the poppy beats (e.g. the running "Bitches are my sons" joke)
Shit is just fun

but yeah I'm always ready for another Lookin Ass Nigga (sans weird Malcom X cover)

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
First props to the Akua Naru mention. Take notice this is a flat out goddess.
Live @ Greentown

Back in my days of radio, we played all kinds of hiphop in the philly underground. She came through back in like 2007 and dropped this gem called "Divine Slave" Been a fan ever since.

Ethel Cee

Prolly never heard of her before but I wanna cover some gems. Not too much out there that I can find, mostly back pre-youtube and soundcloud, but there is the gold nugget Video of "ONE-THIRTY"

Jean Grey needs no help from me.

Rhapsody is complete fire and it doesn't hurt that she raps with 9th Wonder beats (who sounds bad over 9th wonder?)

LionPride

Banned
The problem with Nicki is y'all gotta realize when she's rapping and when she's not.

Shit like Anaconda and Stupid Hoe is not rap. That's straight for the dance floor shit.

But if y'all forgot she could spit, she sent you a reminder on Lookin Ass (Nigga):

Buncha non-mogul ass niggas
Frontin like you gotta plan
Boost Mobile ass niggas

And Four Door Aventador from her last album is her paying homage on Biggie's flow and nailing it.
Shit like this pisses me off because again, SHE HAS SO MUCH TALENT.

This thread has me wanting to dig through my stuff and find my old Suga-T tape.

I also had no idea Noname Gyspy is now Noname and she has a ridiculously good album. I'm pretty out of the loop.

I feel like this could be the deepest of cuts, but there is a German rapper called Fiva who I think is sweet despite knowing very little of the language. Here are two tracks I could find on YouTube of her newest album "Keine Angst vor Legenden" where she collaborates with Jazz group JRBB.

presse_2014-3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ZS6ML8SrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBc8Vg2bJ18

For an American, I'm surprised my girl Janelle Monae hasn't been mentioned yet?

MC LYTE
giphy.gif

She was in my top five at one point and time in my life. I barely remember hearing her in the 90s, but didn't start digging into her discography later and fell in love with what I found. MC Lyte was the first female artist to release a hip-hop album with Lyte As a Rock and it lead way into some of her best work. In a school project I chose Lyte's lyrics from "Poor Georgie" to perform. I remember my school having a Lyte concert a few years ago and was disappointed how few people showed up. It was like only about 25 people. I was really into at this point too. I'll never forget when I first saw her walk on that stage. I called out "I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!" in the front row and she looked at me questionably. It was awesome!

Favorite lyrics:George was clean, no drugs and such
But once in a while, he'd drink too much
Hangin' in a club where they play rockers
Him and his friend, drinkin' vodka
I was looking for him, and I found him there
With his clothes messed up and his (fucked) up hair
I told him he was messin' up, he wouldn't go far
He got mad and asked his friend for the keys to the car
I said, "Don't drive, use your head
Drive while you're drunk and you'll kill yourself dead"
We begin to argue, bad words were said
Then he got kicked out by some long-haired dread
Ran into the car as if, in a hurry
He started the car but his vision was blurry
He didn't care, he drove off into the night
Riding for miles, without his headlights
Georgie Porgie had too much on his mind
He was still young yet running out of time
Last week he took tests and the doctor told him
George had cancer in his lungs and his colon
See when he was twelve, he started smokin'
Paid no attention when he started chokin'
Thoughts flashed through his head, there they stuck
'Til Georgie Porgie crashed into a truck
I wished I woulda told him how I liked him so much
How he made me feel with the slightest touch
Now he's gone and I can't tell him nothin'
Wish he was here so I could say somethin'
The story is not to say that I'm in sorrow
Just to say no one is promised tomorrow
If you love someone you should say it often
You'll never know when they'll be layin' in a coffin

from Poor Georgie

Recommended Track: I Go On
Recommended Album: Ain't No Other

SUGG SAVAGE

She's one of two member of a hip-hop group known as Akoko. Their style of rapping is very different from most out there in terms of instrumentals and I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Out of the two Sugg Savage is definitely the better of the two. Her flow, lyrics, and delivery outclass her partner Sloane Amelia in every way. Funny enough, she didn't start listening to rap until 2009 while she was in Catholic School. A Tribe Called Quest was her entry into the scene and I wouldn't be able to tell, but I guess that sort of explains their unorthodox songs. It looks like she might be going solo because she released some solo songs last year.

Favorite lyrics:
I can poke your neuro
I aint making euros but I make a lot of sense though
Searching for some change to by a vagrant complacency
We claim to be
We aim to be
The saviors of the sanity
Folks they stare at me
Not cuz of what I'm wearing
But because my mind, projects the raw, they vexed
Push play, relax
As if they said no words to me
Hip hop was never dead to me
Punk rock hip hop and keds to me

from Deadly Venom

Recommended Track: Deadly Venom
Recommended Album: Cataraps

LAURYN HILL
lauryn-hill.gif

What can I say? Everybody knows her well enough already. Dope from Fugees to Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. It's so cruel how she only gave us one and a half albums and Miseducation only had 3 rap songs on it. There's no hope for another one especially since she hasn't been showing up to her own concerts.

Favorite lyrics: Not necessarily my favorite, but these are always the first to come to mind.
It's silly when girls sell their souls because it's in
Look at where you be in, hair weaves like Europeans
Fake nails done by Koreans
Come again

from Doo Wop
Recommended Track: Doo Wop (That Thing)
Recommended Album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

NITTY SCOTT MC
Nitty.png

I discovered her through another female rapper, Rocky Rivera, a Fillipina on her track "Daydream" which is a remake of Common's "I Used to Love H.E.R". Her verse was better than Rivera's so I looked up her shit and found "Flower Garden" which the now famous Kendrick Lamar featured in. Nitty Scott has some raw fucking talent which is why I was so disappointed when she came out with that song with negras with the bunny heads in 2015 and then started guest appearing in whack dudes videos, but not laying a verse herself. She has some strong flow and her early work reflects some of the best in old school hip-hop. Last year she joined a group with one of the dumbest names ever, No Panty. That album was okay, but she was expressing her Latino side which I can appreciate. I've been following her ever since I found her and I can't wait for Creature to drop.

Favorite lyrics:

Recommended Track: Bath Salt Freestyle
Recommended Album: Boombox Diaries

LIN QUE
lin-que.jpg

Originally Isis, Lin Que was a member of the pro black rap group X-Clan. She never rapped often on any of their albums, but she got her chance to shine on her solo album Rebel Soul. Her single for it "The Power of Myself Is Moving" is one of the best singles ever and that sample of Slave's "Just a Touch of Love" is my everything! I know that whole fucking song by heart and Soul Rebel is pretty good as well, but the only thing bringing it down is Professor X putting his stamp on the whole thing, damn just let the girl rap! She only had one album and an EP decades later which was okay. A sequel in the 90s would have possibly been hotter.

Favorite lyrics: all of The Power of Myself Is Moving

Recommended Track: The Power of Myself Is Moving
Recommended Album: Rebel Soul

SA-ROC

Sa-Roc-Freestyle-Interview-Live-on-Sway-Video.gif
giphy.gif

I was on her hard in 2014, but I just don't like her as much anymore. Nebuchadnezzar was my album of the year for 2014, but I can't listen to much of her stuff before it, especially her earliest work. Still, Nebuchadnezzar and "Hounds of Hell" are some of my favorite stuff from her. She's a very pro-black rapper and throws some space rap into it as well. I remember showing her music video for "The Who?" in my hip-hop class in college.

Favorite lyrics:But they don't wanna hear the pain just the glory
And they don't wanna take the blame just change the gist of the story
And they'll take me as a trophy but not as MVP
Cuz they don't wanna admit it but they envy me
I'll tell u why because these hips and thighs created life in 7 days
And I can take it all away with just 1 verse spit in 7 ways
And the control u think u hold over me?
Guess what it's obsolete
I copped a beat and laid heat like burnt edges
Play me? You'll pay me
My 16s like vendettas
This rap dope but truth told I been better
Just a prelude to deluge of poetic justice
No box braids I cock aim and blow brains with all my substance
I don't need witticisms to make a hitter and I don't need sports references to make my lyrics any clearer
Eff Jordan, I'm rolling with zora, cuz my eyes been watching god since I first looked in the mirror

Recommended Track: Valley of the Queen
Recommended Album: Nebuchadnezzar

MC MELODEE

J0W2l3.gif

Honestly, she's probably the rapper I listen to the most. Her debut album Vibing High is the most chill shit for me. When I want to listen to something laid back one of her songs are always among the list. Those beats are so elegantly crafted and easy to listen to so you know I got the instrumental album as soon as I saw it. Her whole discography is strong however. As far as her rhyming goes she feels like an 80s rapper to me. Not only her in dress style, but the way she raps. It's hard for me to put in words, but if you listen to her first couple albums I think you'll see where I'm coming from. Lyrically she isn't that strong, but her flow is good and she almost always has great beats. Electronic Love is the only one where I don't like the beats as much. She is 80s an 90s rap personified. Definitely give her a listen.

Favorite lyrics:

Recommended Track: Teribble Thing to Waste / Disco Dip
Recommended Album: Vibing High

RUBY IBARRA
ruby182.jpg

One of the many Fillipino rappers I came across, Ruby Ibarra is a beast. I found her among the likes of Bambu, Rocky Rivera, and Klassy, but I think she beats all of them. Like Roxanne she has a rawness to her rhymes. Someone in another thread said Asian rappers are corny, but they don't know about Ibarra. She has only had one mixtape so far to her whole discography and some freestyle stuff. I'm still waiting for an album.

Favorite lyrics:Muthafucka I'm a pandemic, starting a plague
So no more wack after today, these rappers dropping away
I call era (cholera) a time of "measly," we be lacking all the true shit
I influence a (influenza) generation fuck that "yellow fever" bullshit, so
Who be so proper? using the the bars to

Recommended Track: Like This
Recommended Album: Lost in Translation

THE CONSCIOUS DAUGHTERS

the-conscious-daughters-e1297089815168.jpg

Just recently discovered these and found out they had a song in GTA V. I played V, but I don't remember hearing them, but I don't think I did play around with the radio stations like I did in the others. Classic west coast rap. I just listened to Ear to the Street and enjoyed it.

Recommended Track: We Roll Deep

THE DEADLY VENOMS
A-173939-1444481929-5971.jpeg.jpg

I found them among YouTube. Their discography isn't all that great really, but I wrote this in the case somebody else know of them and can tell me where I can find each of the artists solo work. I only found Champ MC and N-Tyce among them. They were a group formed by RZA and the Wu-Tang Clan that never took off. There are some good rappers among them, but I just don't feel their collaborative efforts hit off maybe to due to production or something else, I'm not sure. I do enjoy N-Tyce who sounds what I think a female Redman would sound like. I also discovered she's from North Carolina like me. Fun fact: Lin Que was going to join the group before they disbanded.

Recommended Track: Earthquake ft. Wu-Tang Clan / Sure Ya Right (N-Tyce)

PRINCESS NOKIA
nokia-dodgeball.gif

I think I might've found her through the Afropunk fest, but in whatever case she's a unique one. She's not necessarily a rapper, but she does rap in her songs sometimes. I have no clue what she is genre-wise so I'm not sure who to recommend her too, but she does have some pretty good stuff. Her music is a little weird and I think shit like "Kitana" and "Tommy Boy" is ass, but some of her bars are pretty easy to listen to. I recently heard Green Line and adore it.

Recommended Track: Green Line
Recommended Album: Metallic Butterfly

RAPSODY
rapsody-crown-jamla-rocnation-stereo-champions-snow-hill-nc-washington-dc.gif

Fuck, don't know I forgot her. One of the illest out there in my opinion. Also another NC MC. Under the wing of 9th Wonder, Rapsody became a prominent figure in the underground game and she's even been featured with Kendrick Lamar twice. Hopefully that exposure will get her mainstream attention, but I'm pessimistic and don't think so. She has wordplay, flow, voice, delivery, the whole shebang. When she jumps on the mic I pay attention. She has a strong discography from start to finish and I can't wait for the next one. Beauty and the Beast was a spectacular album and Crown was good.. I also have to give props for that jazzy version of "The Man" that she performed on NPR. She actually performed at my school, but this was before I knew her and by the time I realized it, she already came and left. Needless to say, I was pissed. One of the greatest examples of her talent is "ABC" in which she raps out the entire alphabet. That is some classic hip-hop type stuff.

Favorite lyrics: Hmm, not sure at the moment

Recommended Track: ABC/Guilty
Recommended Album: The Idea of Beautiful

Also Bahamadia still got it if y'all didn't know.
https://bahamadia.bandcamp.com/track/here

AColdDay

I'm going to use this thread to voice that Da Brat's verse in "Sock It 2 Me" is one of my all-time favorite parts of a rap track.

Why Missy be socking it to niggas like Ree-Ree
The baddest industry bitches of the century
Hit hard like penitentiary dick
Finally admitted that we the shit combination on this lethal
Popping Patron with Missy in the 600 with no see-through
Suffer the repercussion fucking with shit like this
We parlay puffing
Constantly making niggas suffer the consequence
Gotta get these ends bitch
House in the Chi with a Caddy, crib in Atlanta with a Benz
Niggas been huffing and puffing but ain't try shit
Got plenty motherfuckers that'll ryde quick
Besides, kid wanna bust?
Trigga finger itch when you fucking with me
Jealous because I lit more kush
Me and Missy leave a nigga with a head rush
Bring the ruckus, plus...
I'm selling, never gon stop it
Socking it to niggas and rocking it
Dropping em on the spot
Heat up any block or record shop
Knocking you off of your socks
Guaranteed platnium watch two of the coldest bitches get hot

ZOONAMI

Dessa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessa

dessa-pic-642x362.jpg

Now the bough breaks

The books I read
Said you were a fragile kid
Just as I imagined it
Your story goes:

Another nosebleed
Roses on the pillowcase
The fever breaks,
And you're back on earth again

You rehearse
In the living room
The nursemaid comes mid-afternoon
To say "you've practised long enough today"

She takes your bow
It's suppertime
But oh, your only appetite
Was fixed on the chaconne you'd hoped to play

So soon you're off
To the academy
The honours
And the accolades

First a darling
Then a marvel
When we met
I was still a young girl

But you had changed, already famous
Your name was a contagion
You were vain and hard to take
All the same, I was brave

How the tides rise
Oh, how the tides rise

I don't suppose you'd tell the truth
So I won't ask you anymore
All the things that we do
To pass the time between the wars

I don't regret a single day
Heard your chaconne on every stage
But your love sleeps in a velvet case
So what'd you bring me for?
What'd you bring me for?

Yeah, oh

I hear you keep your pretty wife alive
On only brie
They say a dozen years ago
She could have passed for me

She doesn't trust you with the baby
Maybe better that way
Safe in your study
Going grey

You're at your best
When you're alone
Above the fray
With your chaconne

Now the bells toll

But if y'all forgot she could spit, she sent you a reminder on Lookin Ass (Nigga):

Buncha non-mogul ass niggas
Frontin like you gotta plan
Boost Mobile ass niggas

And Four Door Aventador from her last album is her paying homage on Biggie's flow and nailing it.

I don't know. I just can't get into her. I can't get into Missy either.

IrishNinja

Da Brat's song with Biggie used to be my jam

all I used to listen to was Funkdafied

I'm hitting switches like Eric on the solo creep~
For your jeep it's the B.R-uh.A.T.~~~

yeah, Funkdafied was a hot album, good calls here - haven't heard any of her new shit, will hit up those links!

LAURYN HILL
Dope from Fugees to Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. It's so cruel how she only gave us one and a half albums and Miseducation only had 3 rap songs on it. There's no hope for another one especially since she hasn't been showing up to her own concerts.

ehh i caught her just a few months ago, she put on a dope show for several hours...she's got another one out here later this year too. i think she's getting it together.

also, her unplugged album is dope, don't sleep

I'll never forget when I first saw her walk on that stage. I called out "I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!" in the front row and she looked at me questionably. It was awesome!

0Cmnv.png

ROXANNE SHANTE
pymca_00025937.jpg

One of the earlier ones from the 80s Roxanne showed off some true talent at a young age. From what I read she wrote "Have a Nice Day" at the age of thirteen. Her style is nothing but delivering hard cold rhymes and she beat a grown woman in a rap battle in "Wars" vs Sparky Dee. I honestly haven't listened to much of her because until last month I didn't think she even had an album, but "Have a Nice Day" was good enough for me to put her as one of her favorites.

Recommended Track: Have a Nice Day
Recommended Album: Bad Sister

Speaking of Roxanne Shante, Did you know they made a biopic of her that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival last month to good reviews and buzz? The lead actress Chanté Adams was awarded Sundance's Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Performance. Nia Long and Marhashala Ali also star in this.

There was a bidding war between Neon, Amazon, Lionsgate and Miramax and Neon won the North American rights for nearly 3 million dollars.

The film is produced by Pharell Williams, Forest Whitaker, Mimi Valdes, and Nina Yang Bongiovi and written and directed by Michael Larnell.

Although it only has 7 reviews it's currently at 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with two top critics from Variety and RogerEbert.com saying, "A skillful and ironically gripping coming-of-age movie: a hip-hop anti-biopic." and "Inserting itself almost immediately into hip-hop movie history, this is a passionate restoration of Roxanne Shanté's story.", respectively.

Something for you to look forward to this year.

Speaking of Roxanne Shante, Did you know they made a biopic of her that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival last month to good reviews and buzz? The lead actress Chanté Adams was awarded Sundance's Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Performance. Nia Long and Marhashala Ali also star in this.

There was a bidding war between Neon, Amazon, Lionsgate and Miramax and Neon won the North American rights for nearly 3 million dollars.

The film is produced by Pharell Williams, Forest Whitaker, Mimi Valdes, and Nina Yang Bongiovi and written and directed by Michael Larnell.

Although it only has 7 reviews it's currently at 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with two top critics from Variety and RogerEbert.com saying, "A skillful and ironically gripping coming-of-age movie: a hip-hop anti-biopic." and "Inserting itself almost immediately into hip-hop movie history, this is a passionate restoration of Roxanne Shanté's story.", respectively.

Something for you to look forward to this year.
When I was looking for pics I saw that image and several with her and Keke Palmer, but it didn't occur to me that a film was being made. Was Keke a runner up? I'll definitely check it out when I can.

junglepussy is amazing

That name though.

When I was looking for pics I saw that image and several with her and Keke Palmer, but it didn't occur to me that a film was being made. Was Keke a runner up? I'll definitely check it out when I can.

Let's see the pic. I think you're confusing the lead actress of the film Chante' Adams with Keke Palmer. LOL

yeah, Funkdafied was a hot album, good calls here - haven't heard any of her new shit, will hit up those links!

The new shit is still good. Let me know what you think once you get a chance to listen to it.

^^: I fuck with Leshurr, but I don't really think she's good. Like Trina I listen to her for the ratchet shit.
I also need to shout out Boogie Brown too. Foxy Brown's Ill Na Na and Broken Silence are good. I haven't listened to China Doll in years though so I'm not sure about it.
Chapter 2 of "Rappers Who Could Be Something If They Stopped Playing Themselves"

Lil Mama

People forget how good she is.

I think when Lil Mama first came out with Lip gloss that was when I said I have enough and stopped listening to rap, but I did come across some of her recent shit and it's good. It reminded me of MC Lyte a bit.

Let's see the pic. I think you're confusing the lead actress of the film Chante' Adams with Keke Palmer. LOL
I meant pics like these were showing up in Google Image Search.
2009-07-24-keke.jpg

Discourse

Fuck I forgot Jean Grae too. If there's anyone who doesn't know her just check out Jeanius please. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpxPMJs3jU&list=PLF1AD6CC9B2FBFCBF

I hope Jean Grae goes back to rapping. She released a bunch of silly shit and tried to sing, but I hope her verse on 1080p means she's going back to rapping.

I heard an interview with her a few weeks ago on the Twice Removed podcast. Check it out here https://gimletmedia.com/twiceremoved/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom