• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Hattori

Banned
what about those who live in Japan that wants to play western games that aren't localized? what about games that are already localized yet not arriving on NA and/or EU shores? either contribute or just stop with BS nonsense please

Anura

I stand by my original post!

The only reason for region free was always to play the badass japanese games upto a year earlier.

This is no longer the case as Japan is making crappy games right now.

NOE is fucking awesome. Awesome 60hz conversions, great translations, fast releases, sometimes before Japan from what I remember.

It's just NOA that is lacking.

Speak for yourself! MH4 is coming out this year

Sakura

The only reason for region free was always to play the badass japanese games upto a year earlier.

NOE is fucking awesome. Awesome 60hz conversions, great translations, fast releases, sometimes before Japan from what I remember.

I guess games like Bravely Default are just crappy games eh...

Meelow

Banned

Why do you care what Nintendo does? You clearly don't like Nintendo so I don't understand why.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah after this, it would be awesome if we can do a "#WiiUThirdPartySupport" campaign, because I just read something right now that crossed the line as a Nintendo fan.

I really think third parties don't care about Nintendo fans anymore.

Azure J

You guys talking about a Third Party campaign do realize that these movements aren't solely just for instant gratification's sake right? We're trying to end an antiquated practice hopefully forever within gaming.

Please don't shit this thread and it's purpose up.

Vinnk

Thank you for setting us straight on the entire Japanese gaming industry. I guess we were wrong. Some of us falsely thought that there were games of value coming out of Japan. It seems that is no longer the case.

I for one don't want to play crappy games. For that reason I am now launching the new campaign #RegionLocksForXB1PS4 I fear that these terrible games might hits our shores if we do not take extreme measures soon. Nintendo is safe (for now) they have wisely decided what games are safe for us to play. But with Sony foolishly letting gamers play anything they want (except P4 Arena) they are opening the floodgate for potentially Japanese games to worm their way in.

As for XB1, they are probably safe for now. Japanese companies won't make anything for it. But I fear with no locks, 2D shooters might get smuggled across our boarder. As we all know, those are "gateway games".

But what about the food? If people start liking the food they might want to know about the gaming culture behind Japan... #RegionLocksForSushi

ok.. I'm done.

Yeah after this, it would be awesome if we can do a "#WiiUThirdPartySupport" campaign, because I just read something right now that crossed the line as a Nintendo fan.

Let's not. Let game publishers put their games on whatever platform they want. Actually, with Wii U and 3DS being region-locked, it might be better for me as a consumer to see all 3rd parties abandon Nintendo forever :/

How about localizationbombing DQX's Miiverse? And Yakuza 1&2 once that's up?

I think they are aware those games are wanted, so let's not.

Some more Miiverse posts on the subject that need attention. I don't think these are from GAF.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAAYUKk9Vv4eMg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaWzMxAABg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABtUV58UN_TLQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnU9YlRbw

For a new page:
I can get you a Miiverse account if you're genuinely interested (beyond just this campaign).
See this post.
Miiverse is like a giant snowball once you start something interesting. ^^

- Earthbound
- 60 Hz

Next: Region Lock ;D!

backlot

I think nintendo is more aware of that need than people give them credit for. Hopefully we hear something about it before the end of the year...
Reinforcing that idea certainly couldn't hurt though. I don't want to end up with a subpar account system equivalent at the end of the year.

Keyouta

I lived in Japan for about a year back in 2010/2011, and with my DS I was able to bring it over and buy games there no problem. It was awesome.

Now, being back in Canada, I have a NA model 3DS. I've slowed down on my Japanese studying but I'd like to start it up again with some games! The 3DS and Wii U are both region locked, it's annoying that I can't play any games in Japanese/Spanish/French/etc. without buying hardware from that region.

People have said "It skews their predictions for sales" and such, but they're also the people harping "region locking barely affects anyone." If it barely affects anyone, meaning a small group of people are the only ones importing, then it wouldn't skew the sales results a lot!

There are many other situations where region locking is a hindrance: NOE localizing games and then NOA not bringing those over, and vice versa! What if I lived in Japan and wanted to play a couple titles that weren't on my JP Wii U or 3DS? What if I went traveling and wanted to buy a cool game I saw?

If anything, I think Nintendo would make more money if they were region free. Games stuck in X country gets a sales boost from importers.

Edit: I also would think that Nintendo loses more money from having their systems region locked, detracting purchases from those who care. More people would be inclined to buy if they were region free. I mean, how many people buy multiples of the same consoles from different regions? I bet much less than the people who would have bought the console locally if it was region free. That's lost money!

Sakura

I lived in Japan for about a year back in 2010/2011, and with my DS I was able to bring it over and buy games there no problem. It was awesome.

Now, being back in Canada, I have a NA model 3DS. I've slowed down on my Japanese studying but I'd like to start it up again with some games! The 3DS and Wii U are both region locked, it's annoying that I can't play any games in Japanese/Spanish/French/etc. without buying hardware from that region.

People have said "It skews their predictions for sales" and such, but they're also the people harping "region locking barely affects anyone." If it barely affects anyone, meaning a small group of people are the only ones importing, then it wouldn't skew the sales results a lot!

There are many other situations where region locking is a hindrance: NOE localizing games and then NOA not bringing those over, and vice versa! What if I lived in Japan and wanted to play a couple titles that weren't on my JP Wii U or 3DS? What if I went traveling and wanted to buy a cool game I saw?

If anything, I think Nintendo would make more money if they were region free. Games stuck in X country gets a sales boost from importers.

Edit: I also would think that Nintendo loses more money from having their systems region locked, detracting purchases from those who care. More people would be inclined to buy if they were region free. I mean, how many people buy multiples of the same consoles from different regions? I bet much less than the people who would have bought the console locally if it was region free. That's lost money!

If you understand Japanese then you should have just gotten a Japanese 3DS over an American one, as it's not like there are many, if at any at all, good western only 3DS games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Eight out of the top 10 popular posts in the E3 community on Miiverse are about removing region locks.

EDIT: Snapshot:
BRdClDk.png

atbigelow

If you understand Japanese then you should have just gotten a Japanese 3DS over an American one, as it's not like there are many, if at any at all, good western only 3DS games.

You'd rather he have to import every game from a country thousands of miles away just because he can understand some of the language? Get this shit out of here.

Jrs3000

I will make up a few posts and "Yeahs" to the ones out there when I get home. Maybe they'll give a response soon to this.

Somnid

Paying 30,000yen to import a 3DS to play games in your non-native language and forfeiting your warranty and Club Nintendo perks is not a choice someone needs to make. Also the Japanese eShop generally sucks compared to the American one.

Dont see why this is so important. There are way more important things Nintendo needs to work on.

There's plenty of important things, but let's not get sidetracked. Also, you aren't championing any of them.

Dont see why this is so important.

Okay.

I never got the big deal with region locking. So I can't play a Japanese game on my US WiiU, no skin off my back.
The next step is to imagine that you did care about that, and then you would get it!
It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.

It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.
And that has to suck for those of you who care for this sort of thing, but I don't. Not to sound rude or anything, but again, no skin off my back.
I'm not sure why you're bothering to tell everybody that it doesn't matter to you. The default state for gamers in a region is not caring about region locking. This affects the people who do care. Pointing out that you don't just makes you seem incapable of empathy.

I will support the campaign.
This is something that really pisses me off.

Waiting for Fire Emblem while Americans had been playing it for months was excruciating.
Fuck you Nintendo

Wow that one Miiverse brings up a really great point. Miiverse is open so everyone from around the world can communicate and share ideas, opening up region locking should have been an obvious step for that and a great way to draw additional support to games that could be localized.

L Thammy

How about localizationbombing DQX's Miiverse? And Yakuza 1&2 once that's up?

I wouldn't mind this, but one thing at a time.

But what about the food? If people start liking the food they might want to know about the gaming culture behind Japan... #RegionLocksForSushi

I wouldn't mind a region lock on California rolls. Raw fish and cephalopods only. Enough with this avocado garbage.

Top Bottom