• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

My new post:

zlCfzRBdGP4nCkqvGK

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnU-M50rQ

This is fantastic. If I had Miiverse I'd Yeah this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe a series of these featuring sad versions of each character would get the point across better?
If I had a Wii U, I would post a bunch of Luigi-themed ones in the Year of Luigi community.

Haha! Good post on the topic.

Region locking doesn't bother me, as much as Nintendo of America simply not listening to the market more. I'm not really sure how many in Japan would want to import U.S., Western, type titles, but I can't say I have ever really wanted to spend the money to import a game/system from another region.

With the Wii, Nintendo had already developed and translated multiple games for a "Western" release (Disaster: Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story), but Nintendo of America failed to bring them over. Why? I mean, Nintendo spent time/money getting the games translated, and NOA couldn't be bothered to support the Wii with those games?

I think perhaps the first step should be getting better market feedback, and doing "limited" releases, especially in the cases above where the games were already translated.

BUT, being that Nintendo listened about the Earthbound (was that it?) Virtual Console title back in January (?), this might make a difference, and for those that want it, I can go "like" some Miiverse posts.

More media coverage!

Gamnesia

I see people are trying to defend region-locking in the comments.
"If everyone in one country simply imported the game from another, the first country's game sellers would lose money."

Not only is that scenario extreme and improbable, it "could" also happen right now, since Europe has several markets with very different game prices. They all share one region, yet there seem to be no issues.

edit: Wait, they were talking about games that don't get global simultaneous releases. Which isn't a good thing to begin with.

I just wanted to stop by and say that the Popular Posts page of the Nintendo E3 2013 Community is filled with Region Free posts! It's a tiny victory, but it's also a step forward in gaining more exposure.

Anyone expecting this to change the Wii U and the 3DS are overly optimistic. The consoles have already been released and it would only severely piss off anybody who has already bought a gimped version of the console.

However, I think there is a (very) slight chance that they may change their policies for any future hardware.

Anyone expecting this to change the Wii U and the 3DS are overly optimistic. The consoles have already been released and it would only severely piss off anybody who has already bought a gimped version of the console.

However, I think there is a (very) slight chance that they may change their policies for any future hardware.

The European 3DS can read Japanese DS-games. It can however not read Japanese DSi-enhanced games. That makes me (us) think the region lock is software based. That's why I (we) think the region lock can be demolished by a software update.

markot

Banned
Yeah, the hardware is identical for all regions, they just stick in a different power adapter for each region.

Its software based, so a software update could remove region locks.

The European 3DS can read Japanese DS-games. It can however not read Japanese DSi-enhanced games. That makes me (us) think the region lock is software based. That's why I (we) think the region lock can be demolished by a software update.

Yeah, the hardware is identical for all regions, they just stick in a different power adapter for each region.

Its software based, so a software update could remove region locks.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that at all. Well in that case, protest away!

Could anyone snap a print-screen? As I don't have a WiiU (and MiiVerse isn't released for 3DS yet), I cannot view the awesome-sauce.

By the way: if anyone needs inspiration for a MiiVerse post: How about Midna buying a game in Hyrule as a reminder to their adventure, but isn't able to play it in the Twilight Realm? (Or is that too spoily?)

Taker666

What does region free have to do with piracy?

The current piracy device on the Wii U only allows 1:1playback of a specific game for a specific region.

Region free will mean games released in Japan will likely be pirated to hell in the west before they've even been translated..making the release of a translated version even less likely.

People would be better off tweeting individual companies to release their games worldwide on the eshop in their current form if they are not getting a retail release in specific regions .

There is zero chance Nintendo will change this policy.

Is Nintendo listening to us?

They ARE actively watching and reading Miiverse posts.
It was because of Miiverse that Earthbound on VC is coming to US and even Europe.

If that is possible then we at least have a good chance of them noticing us and giving out a statement regarding the situation.

The current piracy device on the Wii U only allows 1:1playback of a specific game for a specific region.

Region free will mean games released in Japan will likely be pirated to hell in the west before they've even been translated..making the release of a translated version even less likely.

People would be better off tweeting individual companies to release their games worldwide on the eshop in their current form if they are not getting a retail release in specific regions .

There is zero chance Nintendo will change this policy.

The most requested Japanese games to be brought over to the West are RPGs (Operation Rainfall, Bravely Default, etc). RPGs are most heavily known for their stories. While I don't have the numbers on me, I do believe the amount of people who speak Japanese fluently enough to "enjoy" the stories of said games to be fairly low. Combine that with other factors like the likelyhood of someone being that fluent also being an avid gamer and that number goes down. Taking into consideration that pirates would also likely pirate the game whether it came out in English or not (IE, they have no plus or minus on the sales scale) and then your whole argument kind of falls in on itself.

Standard disclaimer: Piracy is bad, yadda yadda... but strawmen arguments aren't constructive to discussions.

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but Nintendo has been doing a Nintendo Photo-A-Day challenge on Instagram for the month of June:
Appropriately, I think June 25th would be the perfect day to get the message across if they're actually looking at the photos being uploaded with the hashtag #NintendoPhotoADay. If anyone interested in the campaign has access to Instagram, they should consider posting on June 25th with the hashtags #NintendoPhotoADay, #EndRegionLocking, and #NintendoRegionFree. A really good image would help out too.

Taker666

The most requested Japanese games to be brought over to the West are RPGs (Operation Rainfall, Bravely Default, etc). RPGs are most heavily known for their stories. While I don't have the numbers on me, I do believe the amount of people who speak Japanese fluently enough to "enjoy" the stories of said games to be fairly low. Combine that with other factors like the likelyhood of someone being that fluent also being an avid gamer and that number goes down. Taking into consideration that pirates would also likely pirate the game whether it came out in English or not (IE, they have no plus or minus on the sales scale) and then your whole argument kind of falls in on itself.

Standard disclaimer: Piracy is bad, yadda yadda... but strawmen arguments aren't constructive to discussions.

Asking Nintendo to go region free when there's absolutely no chance they will isn't constructive either.

Nintendo are not about to loosen their restrictions at a time when they are concerned their systems are about to be ripped open.

Do I believe piracy is their main reason for region locking?...not by a long shot...but the release of particular chips/devices is one reason you won't see them even consider region free any time soon.

Asking Nintendo to go region free when there's absolutely no chance they will isn't constructive either.

So you'd just rather silence us? How can you be so sure that corporations won't act on feedback, when we saw just that from Microsoft? Consumers have a right to make their opinions known.

Nintendo are not about to loosen their restrictions at a time when they are concerned their systems are about to be ripped open.

How can you be so sure? Are you Iwata?

Just because YOU think they're not even gonna respond doesn't make it a fact.
There is always a chance they'll respond and there's always a chance that this response turns out positive.

Excuse us for being optimistic fans who want Nintendo to get with the times.

Jackano

So you'd just rather silence us? How can you be so sure that corporations won't act on feedback, when we saw just that from Microsoft? Consumers have a right to make their opinions known.

Don't bother! We know for sure Nintendo read Miiverse, period.

I have the 7 most populars posts in the E3 community about region locking now, BY2K leading the wolf pack :D
And much more behind.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This needs to happen. Then I can buy a European copy of X when NOA fails to localize it.

Taker666

Fair enough. If Nintendo fans are happy to cause more negative press to damage Nintendo over a restriction that there's zero chance of them changing (certainly not this gen) then that's up to them.

I wouldn't have a problem really with region locking if we were promised that EVERY GAME came to every region (even third parties), even if some of them are only in downloadable form (or only in Japanese for example, because we didn't had much problem playing Ouendan on DS).

But yeah, as it is, fuck region locking, is not needed. I think Nintendo needs to change this ASAP.

DasMarcos

Banned
Fair enough. If Nintendo fans are happy to cause more negative press to damage Nintendo over a restriction that there's zero chance of them changing (certainly not this gen) then that's up to them.

Seems a bit too overboard to call this attention seeking "negative press" for Nintendo. This isn't even that big of a hot button issue, merely a feature that many would like to see changed in their benefit and would only serve as a tangible success for the niche. I don't see any harm for the public image of the company coming from this so let the gamers stamp their feet (that includes me too).

ASIS

Fans aren't happy with region locking either, and Nintendo will get bad press anyway.

Finally, if Nintendo changed their region free policies mid gen before with the DS, why is it impossible for the Wii U?

Some people seem to not understand that just because it doesn't affect them, doesn't mean the same for everybody else! Region free gaming is not just about importing Japanese titles!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUV51vYTkCg

That's the same reaction we had here with the XBone DRM. Screw consumer rights, if it doesn't affect your buying habits. Those poor corporations.

Personally I only ever imported 2 games: The US version of NMH, and the japanese version of Fatal Frame 4. Good thing the Wii was made region free^^

Region free games have to happen. Lock the media content to states or territories, it's not worth the hassle to get into that minefield, but with games, there is really no excuse.

Top Bottom