• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make our own terrible Switch icons and annoy Neiteio

eGuh1Qu.jpg

I tried.

MoogleMan

Don't worry, I got you:

T5rwNV5.png

From egm sept 2001:

"Q: What was the deal with that old dude on the cover of the SNES shooter Phalanx?

A:phalanx was just another Super NES sidescrolling shooter that we all probably would have forgotten by now - if not for the inexplicable shot of the bearded geezer strummin' a banjo on the game's box cover. Why the old guy? The problem is that all the game art looked alike at the time - monsters or spaceships or something," explains Matt Guss, head of the advertising company behind the Phalanx campaign. "We wanted to create shock value so somone would have to pick the game up. We called it the 'Heavy Huh?!' factor." Art director Keith Campbell says they did the photo shoot themselves, hiring a model for the role of the 80-something hayseed. "I'd used him before as Santa Claus on an album-cover shoot," Guss adds. "I remember him coming into the studio, and I though the poor guy was gonna die right there on the stage. I think he'd had a stroke earlier - not earlier that day, but in the past . . . We stuck a banjo in his hands, and I think we stuck a spaceship behind his head that he was supposed to be staring at in wonder, sort of a Star Wars-come-to-the-Ozarks kind of thing." You gotta admit Guss' cover concept was mighty effective. After all, we're still talking about the game 10 years after its release. Heavy, huh? If you're too young to remember this game, don't worry Kemco's rereleasing it for the Game Boy Advance. "

So bad it's good.

Snake Pass devs MUST be aware of what they have done. Baffling, that they still haven't changed it back. They want to see the world on fire, don't they?

L Thammy

I like to think all the icons on the bottom row are peeking up over the menu at the rest of the icons, and their faces are the reactions to what they're seeing.

I prefer the ones that actually have good quality art here - but are totally generic in their representation and no game title. Like the Call of Cuty ones, all on point (but not even from this thread D;)

Top Bottom