• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any idea if that "final fantasy killer" RPG Verendus mentioned is still happening? Don't get me wrong, I want to believe it is, but that post is over a year and a half old at this point.

injurai

Banned
Why do people still do this? The same is said before EVERY Sony event and they always end up disappointed. At this point it should be incredibly obvious that Sony spread their game announcements out between E3, Gamescom, TGS and (now) PSX. Expecting them to announce everything at E3 is madness.

Yuuuup. It's just a bunch of mental masturbation.

I never saw that post. What did he say exactly?

- 'Unannounced JRPG 2' will be SCE's second attempt at a big game emulating FF. If this comes to fruition, and is successful, then there is a franchise opportunity which can be exploited. Probably the most experimental project as if it bombs, then they'll never touch anything like it again. I don't think it will though. With the advent of FF15, KH3, and the announcement of FF16 sometime between 2014-2015, Japan gamers will be ready for this. The big question mark is whether they can translate some of that success to the West which will obviously be an aim.

Source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65162306&postcount=335

Sadly, Sanzaru begs to differ: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932980

I really hope they're bluffing.

On another note, I'd really like to see FuturLab's new IP and know if Queasy Games (Everyday Shooter, Sound Shapes) is working on something.

FuturLab is third party, so doesn't really have much to do with Sony.

But Queasy Games still have one more game on their Sony deal (they signed a three game deal, like thatgamecompany and Giant Sparrow), so they'll definitely be working on something. I doubt the Sound Shapes DLC takes up much of their time (assuming it isn't outsourced in the first place).

Josh5890

I feel like I've been teased with Guerilla's new IP forever now.

Also,
anyone hear about a Last Guardian release date?

If we are going by the rumours there is a not so surprising lack of big Morpheus titles. Sony is going to send the thing to die and hoping indies and small titles will carry the thing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If we are going by the rumours there is a not so surprising lack of big Morpheus titles. Sony is going to send the thing to die and hoping indies and small titles will carry the thing.

Hopefully it will be independent studios that make the bulk of its content. We need it to be refreshing not rehashing.

Salex_

A Ni No Kuni sequel doesn't sound like something so radical that they wouldn't do anything like it again if it bombs though. Plus, wasn't the first one developed by Level-5, not Studio Japan?

Yes, but someone suggested another possibility of what their E3 game could be.

Personally, I think that rumor might be true.

This really drills home to me how much I dislike Sony's first party studios.

There's three I like: Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Japan Studio.

Naughty Dog and Japan Studio though I should just cross off the list, the last release I really liked from each are Jak 3 (2004) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) (excluding collaborations with other studios like Demon's Souls). How depressing :\

I doubt the Morpheus will be commercially available until late 2016. So I can understand the lack of games for the device. As it is not ready, there will not be many studios working on it.

Yes, but someone suggested another possibility of what their E3 game could be.

Personally, I think that rumor might be true.

Maybe so. If Sony is as worried that the project may fail as Verendus said they are, it would make sense to collaborate with another publisher to try and minimize the risk, at least a little bit.

I think it's more that Morpheus is not going to be released in the immediate future, so there's no reason to announce any big games for it yet. At least that's the impression I've gotten.

Sadly, Sanzaru begs to differ: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932980

I really hope they're bluffing.
Before that announcement I was 100% sure they were actively developing it. The game did well in all respects and with the movie coming, I thought another game was pretty much guaranteed. That post was a heartbreaker. I can only really imagine two possibilities:

The game hadn't started development yet at the time of that post, but Sanzaru will be making it. If it started around now, that's a totally reasonable dev time for that sort of game, especially with the engine and stuff established for Thieves in Time. But, then, why make that post? Had Sony just not contacted them yet? I mean, we know they're making a PS4 game.

Now, if it's not Sanzaru, there's only one alternative, since Sly 5 must be coming: Sucker Punch wants to go back to the franchise. It would require a smaller team than inFamous, and would probably be a good side project. I can't imagine Sony choosing anyone else over Sanzaru.

I mean, they're third party, but they're basically best pals with SCEE. They work in a university with Sony in a PlayStation development classroom. They publish mostly PlayStation exclusive games. Their fans are on PlayStation. Whatever game they're making will almost certainly be exclusive.

Reveirg

Would be nice if Verendus could chime in about the JRPG's status. The post is quite old, who knows if it's still happening.

injurai

Banned
Would be nice if Verendus could chime in about the JRPG's status. The post is quite old, who knows if it's still happening.

image.php

Big unknown Yes. There is also some SEGA project he talked about - not sure if that game has been announced or not.

image.php

Wozman23

They are independent, and own their IP, but they did sign an unspecified deal with Sony to develop for the Vita. Saying a quality third party studio like FuturLab doesn't have much to do with Sony is like saying Insomniac is also negligible. Without those two developers I may have never owned a few of my Sony consoles.

I mean, they're third party, but they're basically best pals with SCEE. They work in a university with Sony in a PlayStation development classroom. They publish mostly PlayStation exclusive games. Their fans are on PlayStation. Whatever game they're making will almost certainly be exclusive.

Sure but they self-publish their titles and their games can come out on PC (Velocity Ultra did, after all).

I just feel like as soon as you start including them then you start muddying the waters of who should be included and who shouldn't. I mean, do we include NIS then? They're basically PS exclusive.

They are independent, and own their IP, but they did sign an unspecified deal with Sony to develop for the Vita. Saying a quality third party studio like FuturLab doesn't have much to do with Sony is like saying Insomniac is also negligible. Without those two developers I may have never owned a few of my Sony consoles.

No, it isn't. Insomniac were second party for years and years, developing games that Sony funded and owned. And even though they aren't as close with Sony as they used to be, they still do R&C games.

There's a huge difference between them and a Pub Funded developer like Futurlab.

Verendus

Banned
I think this Verendus post is relevant
It's nothing like those, they're all Sega productions (I don't even know what Miku is, first I'm hearing of it).

If I break down what I know of certain upcoming titles in terms of genres:

4 RPGs (this includes the announced Bloodborne)
3 TPS (this includes The Order and Uncharted 4)
3 Horror (this includes Until Dawn)
3 Action/Adventure (all unannounced, one will be the GOW shake-up)
3 Platformers (includes LBP3 and Tearaway)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced)
1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Brawler (unannounced - think like that old PS1 game Fighting Force)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

The Sony/Capcom and Sony/Sega projects fit into those. I would personally put Bloodborne into Action/Adventure but GAF has always referred to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as RPGs (I wouldn't really know since I never played them), so I've been following suit pretty much whenever I talk about it. Someone will also probably be begging Konami to get something off the ground, but we'll have to see about that since they're about to shit out 3 Metal Gear games in the next 6 years.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571797&page=23
Sony/Capcom is now out with Street Fighter. The unannounced TPS is done with Jaffe's new game.

This year, you'll likely be able to remove the RPGs from there too since the unannounced three will probably be out in the open, and that includes the two JRPGs I mentioned long ago. Although one of them is pretty much "plans subject to change" so please don't send me a dozen PMs insulting me if you don't see everything. It's great to be passionate, but still weird. Also, you all should stop calling the second one a FF killer. It's just kind of wrong really. How would you feel if I said that about you? And as we know, games and pieces of plastic have feelings.

Most of that list will likely end up trimmed this year to be honest.

iirc Verendus hinted that the fighter was akin to something like Power Stone.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=140103220#post140103220
That post links to a huge thread so I'm not sure what post you're referencing, but if I mentioned something Power Stone being announced soon, it's to do with the CyberConnect2 exclusive that should have been announced in December for PS3/PS4. It's a cartoon game which most people probably don't even know of, and would probably find underwhelming. I don't actually remember the name either. To be fair, I'm not even sure if it's been announced now.

jayu26

Most of that list will likely end up trimmed this year to be honest.

What do you mean trimmed? Are they going to announce most of it (or something opposite)?

And what category do games like Wild fall under?

You know, ever since the whole "project beast" thing your hints have kind of dried off. I would love for some more of your cryptic messages. It is always fun to realize what your clues mean after the game is finally announced.

I loved what Sony first party had to offer in the PS2 gen. I don't know If it's just because I was so much younger or what, but most of this stuff just doesn't really excite me.

Verendus

Banned
What do you mean trimmed? Are they going to announce most of it (or something opposite)?

And what category do games like Wild fall under?

You know, ever since the whole "project beast" thing your hints have kind of dried off. I would love for some more of your cryptic messages. It is always fun to realize what your clues mean after the game is finally announced.
Trimmed as in they'll be announced.

I also think you're confusing me for the poetry man. "Beast" is Bloodborne, and I'm pretty certain I've never referred to it with that moniker since that's not the kind of thing I'd do.

The list referenced unannounced titles that are coming soon, which are Sony exclusive titles, and where SCE is involved in some manner. Most of it is stuff I've probably mentioned here and there on GAF (such as the RPGs, the Capcom exclusive, the Sega exclusives etc). It's not a comprehensive list either. Wild doesn't fall under any category in that list.

isnt it time polyphony made something other than gran turismo already?

also, who are second party studios exactly? quantic dream, ready at dawn, and who else?

No... as if they need any more distractions.

Yes, they made a few other titles in the past, but Gran Turismo is basically a licence to print money and the studio seem to care as much about the car culture as the games.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Sony/Capcom is now out with Street Fighter. The unannounced TPS is done with Jaffe's new game.

This year, you'll likely be able to remove the RPGs from there too since the unannounced three will probably be out in the open, and that includes the two JRPGs I mentioned long ago. Although one of them is pretty much "plans subject to change" so please don't send me a dozen PMs insulting me if you don't see everything. It's great to be passionate, but still weird. Also, you all should stop calling the second one a FF killer. It's just kind of wrong really. How would you feel if I said that about you? And as we know, games and pieces of plastic have feelings.

So we are down to:

3 RPG's unannounced. (1 from Studio Japan (JRPG w/ western appeal), 1 from Level 5 prob (so 2 JRPG - it's either Ni no Kuni or Dark Cloud - almost confirmed now :), Guerilla's RPG)

2 Horror unannounced (Sony Bend open-world horror and an unknown (Silent Hills @StrongBlackWide?))
1 Platformer (Ratcher and Clack Reboot? or Sly 5? or none of those two - Activision rebooting Crash would be a surprise)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced - gotta be Wipeout - San Diego is too busy with Killstrain/MLB to handle a new mod-nation racers - too early for Evolution to announce another racer)
1 Stealth (unannounced - no idea)
1 Fighter (unannounced - PS All Stars 2?)

TLG does not fit any of those :( It could fit action/adventure but it's more of a puzzle platformer from the original videos.

Guerrila Cambridge supposedly taking reigns on Killzone does not fit this list at all. No FPS mentioned. Can't be Starhawk either - all TPS announced. Process of elimination say: ____________ . Multi-million selling franchise that's not a FPS/TPS...Verendus you're sure you got this list right?

So we are down to:

3 RPG's unannounced. (1 from Studio Japan (JRPG w/ western appeal), 1 from Level 5 prob, Guerilla's RPG)

2 Horror unannounced (Sony Bend open-world horror and an unknown)
1 Platformer (Ratcher and Clack Reboot? or Sly 5? or none of those two)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced - gotta be Wipeout - San Diego is too busy with Killstrain to handle a mod-nation racers - too early for Evo to announce another racer)
1 Stealth (unannounced - no idea)
1 Fighter (unannounced - PS All Stars 2?)

TLG does not fit any of those :( It could fit action/adventure but it's more of a puzzle platformer from the original videos.

Is Silent Hills considered known?

The problem with Verendus's list is well... It's not exhaustive. So when Wattam gets announced, unless he tells us it's not part of his list, then we're left guessing.

HAL-x9000

I switched from Xbox to PS for this generation but I never realised that Sony has so many first party devs. Holy shit, thx OP for this awesome reminder!

Im really looking forward for everything from naughty dog, After playing the Last of Us remastered.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good looking list with plenty of studios not showing their hands yet.

I really want everybody's golf this year, and hopefully Gt7 (or at least a prologue). Other than that I,m happy with whatever we get.

I'm not going to scream for new IP from Sony because IMO they are very good at delivering a broad range of titles big/small, trusted IP/new IP, safe/interesting.

stryke

Technically SOE are first party but their titles are not exclusive to PS4. However one should expect to see Everquest and H1Z1 on the console in the (far) future.

Verendus

Banned
The problem with Verendus's list is well... It's not exhaustive. So when Wattam gets announced, unless he tells us it's not part of his list, then we're left guessing.
That's a good point. But it's mostly a pretty deliberate list. You could eliminate pretty much all of it if you've seen other posts of mine since I've referenced these titles in one way or another in the past two years. I'm pretty sure I remember saying Street Fighter on next gen was in development back in 2013 or something, and that there's a Capcom exclusive. Add it up and you get your Sony/Capcom project which is the fighting game in that list for example.

I just don't give the relevant information in one post or in the same time frame. This way people always end up confused so it's next to impossible to keep on top of it, or even know what I've said, which is why it's good. Since I'm sure I've said a lot, and I've forgotten half of what I've said.

The remaining titles on that list are all retail, and notable titles. So you don't need to look at digital titles or small titles. Jaffe's game was the smallest one in there also.

also, who are second party studios exactly? quantic dream, ready at dawn, and who else?

Second party is a made-up term, so the definition differs from person to person. But if we're saying that second parties are simply third parties who are working on first party IPs, then Sony's second parties would include:

Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers)
The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (Drawn to Death)
The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture)
Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf)
FROM Software (Bloodborne)
Fun Bits Interactive (Fat Princess Adventures)
Funomena (Wattam)
Giant Sparrow (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)
Housemarque (Alienation, Super Stardust Ultra)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank)
On The Metal (BigFest)
Ovosonico (???)
Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)
Quantic Dream (???)
Queasy Games (???)
Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Tarsier Studios (Hunger)
Tequila Works (Rime)
Valkyrie Entertainment (Guns Up!)
Wild Sheep (WiLD)

I'm sure there are a few others who have signed deals with Sony but haven't announced anything yet though.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Second party is a made-up term, so the definition differs from person to person but if we're saying that they're simply third parties who are working on first party IPs, right now Sony's second parties would include:

Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers)
The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (Drawn to Death)
The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture)
Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf)
FROM Software (Bloodborne)
Fun Bits Interactive (Fat Princess Adventures)
Funomena (Wattam)
Giant Sparrow (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)
Housemarque (Alienation, Super Stardust Ultra)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank)
On The Metal (BigFest)
Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)
Quantic Dream (???)
Queasy Games (???)
Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Tarsier Studios (Hunger)
Tequila Works (Rime)
Valkyrie Entertainment (Guns Up!)
Wild Sheep (WiLD)

I'm sure there are a few others who have signed deals with Sony but haven't announced anything yet though.

That's a lot of money Sony is putting in the industry supporting third party developers.

The remaining titles on that list are all retail, and notable titles. So you don't need to look at digital titles or small titles. Jaffe's game was the smallest one in there also.

That makes it even easier to get that list narrowed down. You sure there are no unannounced retail FPS/TPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom