• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Fourze

The classic mid-season power up build up!

Ookami-kun said:
Damn it Ryusei!

Also the ep hints Tachibana is Gen's dad.

Where? All I get is that Tachibana didn't plan for Fourze to be defeated.

Everyone is telling you to start with Gokaiger, and while it's a SICK show, I kinda hope that you get to see a bunch of other Sentai shows instead first...because then when you get to Gokaiger, its nostalgia overload...there's also a spoiler here or there for series. Maybe start with Shinkenger? That's modern and very well liked. The characters are super likable and there are some great moments there.

Then maybe Dekaranger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Abaranger (if you can put up with HK subs), Gaoranger, Liveman. Once you get to know a lot of shows, THEN go for Gokaiger and enjoy seeing all your old friends come back and see where they end up in the universe. :p

There's not much nostalgia in Gokaiger if you just marathoned the series. I barely watch Sentai and I really loved seeing the old actors back.

WillyFive

Yeah, Gokaiger can make itself very nostalgic even if you have never seeing the original shows before; due to how the show builds up to the tribute Gokai Change. The show takes time to tell you who they are, why are they important, and what a big deal it is that the Gokaigers get their blessing; so when it's time to do the tribute morph and play the instrumental, it's a very touching sequence, even if you haven't seen the original show.

Wiseblade

Fourze

Where? All I get is that Tachibana didn't plan for Fourze to be defeated.

While I never took it that far, I suspected that Gen's parents were astronauts and worked on Fourze or Meteor. The way Gen's Grandad said that their jobs were too complicated to understand guaranteed that they did something important to the plot.

vareon

There were almost no buildups on Tachibana and Gentarou's parents was only mentioned like once. It is possible, it just had no impact on the show right now.

Yeah, Gokaiger can make itself very nostalgic even if you have never seeing the original shows before; due to how the show builds up to the tribute Gokai Change. The show takes time to tell you who they are, why are they important, and what a big deal it is that the Gokaigers get their blessing; so when it's time to do the tribute morph and play the instrumental, it's a very touching sequence, even if you haven't seen the original show.

Yeah, but it adds even more when you knew the characters before. Like when you found out that Gao Red still kept in touch with Gao Lion and stuff even after 10 years, that meant something if you've seen the original because you knew their relationship...or most of all, Time Yellow. You had no idea what that last scene with him was about if you haven't seen Timeranger, and even if someone told you, when you saw throughout the Timeranger series what he went through to try to win over his love and what it meant, being 3000 years apart...it has a big impact.

Yeah, Gokaiger is awesome no matter who you are, I had two friends who saw no other Sentai series besides Shinkenger (and one saw Magiranger too), and they loved it...but having seen at least 15+ other shows, you get a lot more out of it.

WillyFive

Very true.

Even simply hearing the Shinkenger sound effects one last time in the Gokaiger tribute elevates the episode to levels beyond what you could have gotten from not watching Shinkenger before Gokaiger (and that's not even counting the nasty spoiler the whole episode in itself is).

Not to mention the stuff the Jetman left on the
grave
; what Yellow Lion was talking about during his story; what the necklace Gekired was wearing was all about; and more.

What's great about Gokaiger is that you don't need to know what those things are to enjoy the show, but for those that do, it elevates the show to another level.

Very true.

Even simply hearing the Shinkenger sound effects one last time in the Gokaiger tribute elevates the episode to levels beyond what you could have gotten from not watching Shinkenger before Gokaiger (and that's not even counting the nasty spoiler the whole episode in itself is).

Not to mention the stuff the Jetman left on the
grave
; what Yellow Lion was talking about during his story; what the necklace Gekired was wearing was all about; and more.

What's great about Gokaiger is that you don't need to know what those things are to enjoy the show, but for those that do, it elevates the show to another level.

Exactly!! That's why I think anyone new to Sentai should watch a few other shows first...then when they see Gokaiger it'll mean so much more to them. The Yellow Lion stuff was super meaningful having seen Liveman, and added extra weight to what Joe had to do. Seeing GekiRed still carrying that burden of protecting that necklace so nothing could happen to it, and just the familiarity and nostalgia...like seeing the Hurricangers fight one more time almost ten years later...it's awesome.

But like you said, at the same time, if it wasn't an anniversary season and didn't have all the other stuff, it still would have been a fantastic show, but as a tribute season? It's a total classic.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
damn, gentarou went "out" like a g. its amazing how much hes jumping into my fave 5 of riders. and seeing yuki parrot his movements was pretty hilarious.

gobusters.... needs something. it feels like it could be a better series with more riders. but having 3 straightlaced riders in this setting is hurting it for me.

WillyFive

damn, gentarou went "out" like a g. its amazing how much hes jumping into my fave 5 of riders. and seeing yuki parrot his movements was pretty hilarious.

gobusters.... needs something. it feels like it could be a better series with more riders. but having 3 straightlaced riders in this setting is hurting it for me.

Nah, I think having only three is a plus. More time to focus on characters and story.

The problem with Go-Busters, I think, is that it takes itself too seriously with characters that aren't really that serious. Red is a jerk who is afraid of chickens, Blue is an old guy trying to be young, and Yellow is trying to have an attitude but has to eat candy all the time. it should be a comical premise, but the show is not.

The Buddy-roids also seem to be designed to be like the Imagins from Den-O; but they spend all the time in the base doing nothing and not being funny. They should be out there with the Go-Busters or something.

Enter is, I think, the best part of the show; because he is a comical character that delivers his premise. He is still a very real threat, but he's not a total bore to watch.

Don't get me wrong, Go-Busters has a rich story and really great ideas. But the show isn't doing a lot to make itself more lively.

Parallax

Nah, I think having only three is a plus. More time to focus on characters and story.

The problem with Go-Busters, I think, is that it takes itself too seriously with characters that aren't really that serious. Red is a jerk who is afraid of chickens, Blue is an old guy trying to be young, and Yellow is trying to have an attitude but has to eat candy all the time. it should be a comical premise, but the show is not.

The Buddy-roids also seem to be designed to be like the Imagins from Den-O; but they spend all the time in the base doing nothing and not being funny. They should be out there with the Go-Busters or something.

Enter is, I think, the best part of the show; because he is a comical character that delivers his premise. He is still a very real threat, but he's not a total bore to watch.

Don't get me wrong, Go-Busters has a rich story and really great ideas. But the show isn't doing a lot to make itself more lively.

maybe thats the issue. because it feels like nothing is going on in this series.

WillyFive

Meteor's unveiling is not how I expected it to be, but it sure does bring in a nasty twist to the story. His relationship with the Kamen Rider Club is probably permanently ruined.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think the problem with Go-Busters, while its a super fun series, is that it's much more serious that most series, but it doesn't go all the way for fear of being too serious or too depressing. Some people have compared parts of it to Evangelion, and obviously its nowhere near as depressing as that show, but like, the most recent example is Ryuji's buddy in the most recent episode...he betrays his friend, his job, and puts the world in danger by letting the enemy get their hands on super important technology and at the end, they tried to save it by saying he was brave for coming back, but he wouldn't be arrested or get in any serious serious trouble in a show like this...and that's the thing.

I felt the same way about OOO. It was trying to be serious, but not totally serious. So like, the episodes where it was comedic it was great...like that one where they all fall in love or the 1000th episode. I LOVED those...but it was kinda stuck in the middle in tone. The king of combining seriousness and lightheartedness is still Gokaiger. Dekaranger and Abaranger do it great as well (all the same writer, right?). Go-Busters is still trying to find its groove. When the 6th shows up in every series the tone of the show always changes a little bit (like when Genta showed up in Shinkenger it got a little less serious) so we'll see what happens when we get more Busters.

Yeah so um...Gokaiger 23

Man Basco has one kickass theme song and I'm digging the trumpet playing/summoning.

My one thing I was mad at Gokaiger about was that they never released a Basco trumpet toy. That would have been a day -1 buy for me.

WillyFive

My one thing I was mad at Gokaiger about was that they never released a Basco trumpet toy. That would have been a day -1 buy for me.

Yeah, that made no sense. It had it's own sound effect, it used the Ranger Keys, and was used by an important character a lot during the show.

wonzo

Banned
Akibaranger 2

akibaranger2a.jpg
akibaranger2.jpg

I must say I'm rather fond of antagonists fighting for a noble cause.

vareon

Meteor's unveiling is not how I expected it to be, but it sure does bring in a nasty twist to the story. His relationship with the Kamen Rider Club is probably permanently ruined.

What I like most is Tachibana just went "Bitch no!" and pulled the lever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Makes me wonder why Tachibana didn't turn off the device even as Ryusei made the deal, since he can hear him after all.

"no hesitation"? He could have turned Meteor off before the One Inch Punch...

Fair enough lol. I guess he wanted to see how far Meteor would go, after all Meteor DID hesitate for a second before delivering the blow. I gotta say thats been my least favorite thing about Meteor is him being at the mercy of Tachibana.

WillyFive

It never felt to me that Meteor was really much under any influence from him, other than the Meteor Storm episode.

It felt more like he was the guy that lent him his powers, not much more.

It never felt to me that Meteor was really much under any influence from him, other than the Meteor Storm episode.

It felt more like he was the guy that lent him his powers, not much more.

For me it was always the back thought of "oh shit this guy can flip the switch at any moment and no more Meteor!" especially after the Meteor Storm ep.

Parallax

What if Tachibana can become Meteor? Also, is Meteor suit relying on cosmic energy too?

i wonder if theres just a switch he can leave on to active it, or if he has to grant permission to use meteor?

edit: dat power rangers spd shoutout! i fucking love akibaranger now!

WillyFive

Akibaranger is so delightfully good, it even has commentary on real life Otaku culture.

The DekaRed cameo was fantastic and brilliant as well, every single part of it (especially the Decade-like powerup).

Is Akibaranger done by the actual Sentai guys, or are they actually having the actors around in an unofficial way? Either way I'm in love with this show. There's the over the top antics and the subtle black humor which really make the show a blast to watch.

WillyFive

Akibayellow is hilarious, especially when her ears fell out and she momentarily went back to her true self.

In fact, all three are excellent characters.

Is Akibaranger done by the actual Sentai guys, or are they actually having the actors around in an unofficial way? Either way I'm in love with this show. There's the over the top antics and the subtle black humor which really make the show a blast to watch.

Akibaranger is an official Super Sentai production in every way except being part of the canon lineup (like Ninja Captor). It has the people, the production crew, the talent, the toys, and such.

Which I think is really great and unique, because previous stuff like this (like Galaxy Quest) were made by different companies than the stuff they were talking about, so they couldn't actually use the Star Trek name and such.

But since Akibaranger is made by the same people that do the Super Sentai show, it gives it that additional dynamic that makes it more real. They can actually talk about the same stuff that fans are talking about, instead of making a different version of it and hoping fans get which stuff they are talking about.

It shows that Toei is really open about it's fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom