• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Simply put, they feel nicer to type on and have a much greater operating lifespan than membrane-based keyboards. This is because each key has a mechanical switch with metal contacts, rather than simply being a carbon pad embedded in a big silicon sheet.

I'm sure they feel nicer, but since I'm not willing to pay up front without being sure I prefer switches and haven't seen any on display to feel for myself, it's hard to make the leap to mechanical, even though I've been looking at them for over a year now.

I've also read the lifespan/keystroke argument many times, which just makes me wonder how many keyboards people go through for that to be part of the discussion. I've been using the same Logitech keyboard for around 7 years now.

I've been plenty tempted to just buy one and find out, as most swear by them, but from the outside, it really appears to be among the most pointless of luxuries.

adg1034

I'm sure they feel nicer, but since I'm not willing to pay up front without being sure I prefer switches and haven't seen any on display to feel for myself, it's hard to make the leap to mechanical, even though I've been looking at them for over a year now.

I've also read the lifespan/keystroke argument many times, which just makes me wonder how many keyboards people go through for that to be part of the discussion. I've been using the same Logitech keyboard for around 7 years now.

I've been plenty tempted to just buy one and find out, as most swear by them, but from the outside, it really appears to be among the most pointless of luxuries.

Membrane boards just feel... mushy. The sound plus the tactility of a mechanical switch is a huge reason why I switched.

Try one out sometime, if you can.

Orayn

I recommend waiting for a sale on the Razer BlackWidow, or just getting a Ducky from TankGuys for ~$80. The difference is worth it.

So many great keyboards here... but none has a Spanish layout :(

WASD Keyboards can give you any character set you like!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't know about you, but what I do on computer more than anything else is type or use the keyboard in some way. It may even be double my mouse use. I wouldn't consider it any more of a "pointless luxury" than wearing comfortable shoes.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I'm coming from the other direction - mechanical keyboards were all there was when I was young, and i miss them. It's taken this little thread to warm me up to the fact that it is the keyboards, not my typing, that got worse over the years. 40-odd years ago, with a bit of practice, I could just float my fingers over the keyboard - turns out it is the keyboard is the problem, may try and buy one next week.

Writing on a 1988 Model M right now. Found it and a 1993 Model M for a total of $5 at my local second hand store. Gave them a good cleaning and now they're like new, awesome durability on these.

Orayn

Are there any good wireless mechanical keyboards? I may take the plunge...

They may exist, but they definitely won't be easy to find.

What does n-key rollover mean?

Ability to press "n" keys at once and have all of them register. With a properly designed matrix and a PS/2 connection, there's no limit to it. On USB you're limited to six distinct keys plus certain modifiers.

They may exist, but they definitely won't be easy to find.

Ability to press "n" keys at once and have all of them register. With a properly designed matrix and a PS/2 connection, there's no limit to it. On USB you're limited to six distinct keys plus certain modifiers.

i use a noppoo choc mini and it uses usb and also has no n key rollover. i don't know how they do it but i don't know many usb keyboards that have no n key rollover.

adg1034

Okay, GAF. Any reason I shouldn't go for a Ducky Shine with Cherry Browns? $155 or so shipped. The Blues are calling my name, but the typing/gaming middle ground that the Browns seem to be known for seem to be pushing me in that direction.

Writing on a 1988 Model M right now. Found it and a 1993 Model M for a total of $5 at my local second hand store. Gave them a good cleaning and now they're like new, awesome durability on these.

I found a model M the same way, paid $1.50 for it. I think it's a 1987.

I had a Logitech G15 but one of the keys broke (the plastic underneath got broken when I was trying to fix a sticky-keys problem).

The only thing I miss about the G15 is the macro keys on the left side - I used the bottom part as a left-hand arrow keys replacement - Much more ergonomic than hitting the arrow keys.

I love my clicky model M though, typing on it is awesome. I think I'll keep using it and eventually get one of those gaming-side-key thingies to replace my missing Logitech macro keys.

I had to wash the G15 keys (soapy water on the keycaps), and it had one bad spring on the (-) o the numberpad - I scrounged a replacement from a failed IBM Model M2 and fixed it though. Great keyboard.

Wallach

choc mini has nkro through usb.

and a button to swap the caps lock/ctrl functions.

and nonsensical engrish jibberish on the box.

i love this thing.

Yes, the Choc Mini uses an odd proprietary controller that basically pretends it is two keyboards so that it doubles the available permutations. Unfortunately the downside to doing it this way is that the keyboard is non-functional with a Macintosh system (or at least has been up until I last checked).

Also, there are still other ways to get more than 6KRO over USB through other custom controller/matrix techniques. Both Leopold and Microsoft have ones that can achieve 17/18KRO over USB.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yes, the Choc Mini uses an odd proprietary controller that basically pretends it is two keyboards so that it doubles the available permutations. Unfortunately the downside to doing it this way is that the keyboard is non-functional with a Macintosh system (or at least has been up until I last checked).
i read something about going from usb>ps/2>usb through adapters worked, should i ever wish to tether it to one of those innocuous devices.

what's your apm with that keyboard?
i can over-repair around 90 17lb'ers per minute.

Fugu

I have a Unicomp keyboard and I love it. It is quite a bit louder than most other mechanical keyboards but I find the action and feedback to be much better. If you can deal with it being incredibly loud, though, I highly recommend it.

I own a Model M as well but has an RJ connector and I have yet to discover a way to get it to work with a modern PC.

Septimius

Children, please.
Nothing beat the Model M for feel and sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ80bIUEMyQ&feature=related

This was the exact keyboard I had for the first.. many years of my life. I think we threw away the keyboard. Kind of sad, in retrospect. Now I'm looking at shelling out 100$ for something I had 23 years ago.

I own a Model M as well but has an RJ connector and I have yet to discover a way to get it to work with a modern PC.

Really? Mine had a DIM 5. Hmm, maybe it wasn't a Model M.

Picked up a Filco Majestouch 2 and already feel a difference in input speed. Definitely an amazing pickup if you want something well-made.

Linkup

I have a nice cheap rosewill chiclet keycap design slim keyboard, but one of the keys was hit and now it won't stay on. Does a virtually silent slim mechnical chiclet keycap design keyboard exist? Yeah I know that's way to many adjectives, but I'd seriously easily drop $100 on something like that to replace my current one altogether. Otherwise the keyboard has lasted 2 years now without any problems after being dropped and having the cord pulled on so I'll probably just grab another.

Sethos

Banned
I picked up the SteelSeries 6Gv2 despite being very much against all those cheap, flimsy gaming brands out there. The keyboard space button is squeaking like fuck when you press it, tried taking it off but can't see anything. One of the arrow keys also seem dodgy, when you press it, it feels like it stops and then you can press it down even further.

Awful keyboard.

mm04

Children, please.
Nothing beat the Model M for feel and sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ80bIUEMyQ&feature=related

Holy shit! Good call, I was trying to remember my first mechanical keyboard that I had from the early 90's and that's either it, or a very close variant. I loved that thing. I remember my boss had one at the office and I tried it out and had to have one. This thread makes me wanna go back to using one. I just liked the feel better than standard keyboards.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I have a nice cheap rosewill chiclet keycap design slim keyboard, but one of the keys was hit and now it won't stay on. Does a virtually silent slim mechnical chiclet keycap design keyboard exist? Yeah I know that's way to many adjectives, but I'd seriously easily drop $100 on something like that to replace my current one altogether. Otherwise the keyboard has lasted 2 years now without any problems after being dropped and having the cord pulled on so I'll probably just grab another.

Mechanical keyboards can't be slim ( I assume you mean like a laptop ) because of the Cherry switches need to go somewhere. I guess you could look for a scissor switch keyboard if you really want a laptop style keyboard. But they are just domes still.

Orayn

Holy shit! Good call, I was trying to remember my first mechanical keyboard that I had from the early 90's and that's either it, or a very close variant. I loved that thing. I remember my boss had one at the office and I tried it out and had to have one. This thread makes me wanna go back to using one. I just liked the feel better than standard keyboards.
You're in luck, because IBM sold the buckling spring patents to a company called Unicomp who make what are essentially NEW Model M keyboards. They're a bit pricey around $80, but there is much value in that classic CLACK CLACK CLACK.

Their store is here: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

I got a das keyboard silent (brown) a while back and like it a whole lot. My older keyboards really feel like crap now.

Only thing I didn't like was the full size caps lock key. I like the style where it's sunken down to give room between it and 'A'. I just swapped it with a standard black letter key and it's fine.

choc mini has nkro through usb.

and a button to swap the caps lock/ctrl functions.

and nonsensical engrish jibberish on the box.

i love this thing.

swapping caps lock and ctrl on the keyboard sound great. I use a program to swap them since the capslock key is in a more natural position for my pinky than the ctrl key. So many years of playing games on my PC and I still don't understand why ctrl always has important functions bound to it.

Wallach

swapping caps lock and ctrl on the keyboard sound great. I use a program to swap them since the capslock key is in a more natural position for my pinky than the ctrl key. So many years of playing games on my PC and I still don't understand why ctrl always has important functions bound to it.

Ever since I got my HHKBP2 (which was the first 'board I got that did this via DIP switch rather than software) I have swapped them. I am lazy enough that I don't use any of the 'boards that can't do it in in hardware like that at all anymore.

JoeMartin

Well-designed website.

Has recently moved to www.pckeyboard.com

But it doesn't really matter either way, if you're willing to dismiss the product out of hand because the website isn't hip enough for you then don't bother. Been using the hell out of my Unicomp for a year now and I love it. Buckling springs are definitely my prefered switch and Unicomp is the only company left that makes them anymore, and they make a hell of keyboard at that.

Linkup

Mechanical keyboards can't be slim ( I assume you mean like a laptop ) because of the Cherry switches need to go somewhere. I guess you could look for a scissor switch keyboard if you really want a laptop style keyboard. But they are just domes still.

I was more interested in the chiclet keycap more than it being slim as far as design goes. I see some mechanical chiclet ones around $170, a bit much for me.

mhayze

I was more interested in the chiclet keycap more than it being slim as far as design goes. I see some mechanical chiclet ones around $170, a bit much for me.

Mechanical chiclet sounds cool - linky? (Yes I tried google for a bit, no luck)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
whoa really?
qyKeG.jpg

andylsun

Love Mechanical Keyboards - these are spares, the ones I use regularly are much cleaner!

lugBG.jpg

I have 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II's (both UK and US layout) and two IBM Model M keyboards (both UK and US). I prefer the UK layouts as I like the 2 line return key. Think they date from 1986 - one I picked up NOS in 2002.

Managed to pick up two ADB to USB adapters for the Apple Extended's and a specific IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard to USB adapter. Both work great with my latest computers. The IBM dates from 1984.

I *think* I prefer the Apple over the IBM, but nothing beats the sound of a Model M. A friend of mine is a 115 wpm typist, and it's pretty insane to hear her work!

Edit: Sorry for the overlarge image

Deadly

So if those ancient classic IBM keyboards were usually the norm before, why'd we stop manufacturing mechanical keyboards in the first place?

I had a Razer Blackwidow with the Cherry keys for only a single weekend and barely used it even then. And it already feels super weird to use a keyboard with membrane keys at work.

Orayn

So if those ancient classic IBM keyboards were usually the norm before, why'd we stop manufacturing mechanical keyboards in the first place?

We never stopped, but the Model M fell out of favor because it was darn expensive to produce. Many computers back in the day used awful, awful key mechanisms like foam pads, the Model M was better by leaps and bounds, but also comprised a significant portion of the original IBM PC's price.

Top Bottom