• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

New002

EDIT: I would go ahead and follow this post in your case, as he has a US E6P. The LgDTVUpDater version linked there comes with US firmware 04.30.95, and the proper response file. Just update IP addresses as he mentions in the post, and you should be golden.

Do you the E6P and C6P use the same firmware? Could I use this to downgrade my C6P?

NYR

John Archer, the writer at Forbes, tweeted this a few hours ago. I hope he is right.

YQfuJce.png

holygeesus

Banned
I still think it is lag related, at least on the B6. The original US firmware that first introduced HDR Game mode, was as bright as the other modes but had tearing. I wonder if that was related to their fix? Does the 2017 range have a dim HDR Game mode too?

SOLDIER

Here are some rough but hopefully useful instructions to downgrade to your firmware of choice:

1. Get the LgDTVUpDater_04_2017.zip program. I won't post a link here to avoid any trouble :) Google.

2. (Delete the "LgDTVUpDater" folder if you already set it up, that'll make it simpler)

3. Extract the zip to C:, so you end up with "C:\LgDTVUpDater"

4. Identify the firmware you want to downgrade to. You need the actual firmware file, which you can might be able to get from your countrys LGs support site at the moment. If not, hopefully you have it downloaded previously. ( I chose 04.31.05 as my target)

5. Copy the firmware to "C:\LgDTVUpDater\htdocs"

6. Follow the 3 first steps here to identify what your Response file should be named.

7. Go to "C:\LgDTVUpDater\zagotovki\local\2016". Identify your model from the folder list. For example, for C6, go to "UH780, UH850-UH855, UH950-UH955, OLED E6, C6"

8. Go into one of the folders in there. The firmware numbers there shouldn't matter, as we'll edit it to fit the firmware we're downgrading to later. I used "04_30_55_GB_" as my base.

9. Copy the file you find in there to "C:\LgDTVUpDater\htdocs". The file name for my C6 was "HE_DTV_W16M_AFADABAA".

10. Rename the file to whatever you came up with in step 6!

11. Open the file you just copied in a text editor like notepad.

12. You need to edit this file to match the firmware you have downloaded. Here's the file I ended up with for reference:

Code:
<RESPONSE><RESULT_CD>900</RESULT_CD><MSG>Success</MSG><REQ_ID>00000000008076692602</REQ_ID><IMAGE_URL>http://snu.lge.com/SWDownload.laf</IMAGE_URL><IMAGE_SIZE>892884989</IMAGE_SIZE><IMAGE_NAME>starfish-dvb-secured-m16-7.deua.m16-727-04.31.05-prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk</IMAGE_NAME><UPDATE_MAJOR_VER>04</UPDATE_MAJOR_VER><UPDATE_MINOR_VER>31.05</UPDATE_MINOR_VER><FORCE_FLAG>Y</FORCE_FLAG><KE></KE><GMT>19 May 2017 14:24:34 GMT</GMT><ECO_INFO>01</ECO_INFO><CDN_URL>http://snu.lge.com:80/starfish-dvb-secured-m16-7.deua.m16-727-04.31.05-prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk</CDN_URL><CONTENTS></CONTENTS></RESPONSE>

Things to pay attention to here:

• <IMAGE_SIZE> should match the exact file size of the firmware. You can find it by right-clicking the firmware file and choosing Properties. Copy the bytes value like in this picture:

Mrn8tKo.png

Remove the spaces after pasting it into <IMAGE_SIZE>
  • <IMAGE_NAME> should be the exact name of your firmware file.
  • <UPDATE_MAJOR_VER> should match the two first digits of the firmware version you're downgrading to, 04 in my case.
  • <UPDATE_MINOR_VER> should match the last 4 digits of the firmware version, plus the dot inbetween, 31.05 in my case.
  • <GMT> I entered the date the firmware file was created, you can find that in the properties of the firmware file as well. In my case it was 19 May 2017 14:24:34.
  • <CDN_URL> you need to add the filename of your firmware after "http://snu.lge.com:80/". In my case it was http://snu.lge.com:80/starfish-dvb-secured-m16-7.deua.m16-727-04.31.05-prodkey_usb_V3_SECURED.epk.

13. Save the file

14. Go to "C:\LgDTVUpDater" and double click on "start.bat"

15. Answer N to the first question and press Enter.

16. Look at the IP address at the start of the next question. Verify that this matches the local IP of your computer. (Here's how to find your local IP) If the address matches, answer Y and press Enter.

17. Repeat the previous step. If the IP matches, answer Y and press Enter.

18. Go to the internet settings on your TV, choose Ethernet or Wifi, select Edit, Uncheck "Set Automatically". Enter the Local IP of your computer into "DNS SERVER"

vKCmyxg.jpg

Click Connect. (It won't connect right now)

19. Go back to your PC and press Enter in the command window with yellow text. If you get any Firewall warnings, allow them all through the firewall.

20. Go back to the TV and verify that it connects to the internet (All 4 rings should be green in the window you entered the computer IP.

21. If it connects, go to General -> About This TV, and click "Check for updates". Hopefully it finds the firmware you want to downgrade to. Click "Install".

22. If all is well, it should start downgrading!

I recommend resetting the TV to Initial Settings after downgrading, to be sure it works as intended. I have no idea if this is needed, I just like to do it as an added precaution. Not doing it might be perfectly fine.

This was long and hard to read, but it should contain all you need to complete the downgrade successfully. Let me know if it works for you!

UPDATE: If you're running IIS on your Windows installation, you might have to perform the steps mentioned here. (Scroll down to the instructions regarding Windows 10 and W3SVC) Be sure to reverse the steps once you're finished.

Lord almighty, I finally got it working.

So it turns out the thing I was doing wrong was using whatismyip.com to look up my IP. It spat out something that wasn't what I needed. When I followed your instructions and looked up my ip through ipconfig, that's what finally did it.

Right now it says "update in progress", though the bar isn't advancing. Does it usually take this long, or is something else holding it back?

Edit: Just restarted using the AVS link you posted. It's downloading now.

Super stocked about this. Now I can go back to stuff like Horizon without losing the HDR. This should be stickied or something.

Dammit, ithought my E6 had already updated a week ago so I didn't bother turning off updates... Then I got a dreaded prompt saying ny TV had updated this morning... :p

I'm in Australia for what it's worth. :p

TLZ

Banned
This is good advice. It's definitely better on a reset.

But still too dark.

But always better to work with a reset baseline if picture setups have been changed.

Did just that.

My 2 cents may not sound good to many here, but I don't have an issue with it. When I switched between HDR and SDR in Last of Us, brightness looked the same to me so nothing changed there, but that's because I already play SDR content on 40 OLED light. In that sense, it's all good for me. But the problem is, HDR Game mode is on 100 OLED light. 100 OLED light HDR almost = 40 OLED light SDR. Lol. That is not good for many people. I can't believe they made the max OLED light for HDR that dim. Why not make it as bright as SDR's and leave us bring it down to 40 or 50 or whatever we want?

Might as well lock us out at 50 color and other options. We have all these options to play with for a reason.

Deepo

Lord almighty, I finally got it working.

So it turns out the thing I was doing wrong was using whatismyip.com to look up my IP. It spat out something that wasn't what I needed. When I followed your instructions and looked up my ip through ipconfig, that's what finally did it.

Right now it says "update in progress", though the bar isn't advancing. Does it usually take this long, or is something else holding it back?

Edit: Just restarted using the AVS link you posted. It's downloading now.

Super stocked about this. Now I can go back to stuff like Horizon without losing the HDR. This should be stickied or something.

Good to hear you got it working!

Scoop-Li

Excuse my ignorance on the issue. Is the dim HDR game mode only in 2016 LG OLEDs? I'm in the market for a 2017 model. Would the dim HDR game mode be a problem for this year's LG OLED models?

NYR

And this is about the dim HDR game mode for all the OLEDS like B6, E6 etc?
Yep.
Excuse my ignorance on the issue. Is the dim HDR game mode only in 2016 LG OLEDs? I'm in the market for a 2017 model. Would the dim HDR game mode be a problem for this year's LG OLED models?
Right now, it's 2016 but if the fix was to prevent burn in on OLEDs per some unverified rumors, you best believe it is coming to 2017 models.

Dave_6

My B6 (US) is still on the 4.31.20 firmware. Looking at their site that is the latest for my model. I've got automatic updates off anyways but hopefully they do come up with a fix.

New002

Good to hear you got it working!

I followed the steps in the AVS link you posted since I'm on a C6. The tv connects and I get all green circles, but when I click check for update it just says no update found. Tried to retrace my steps to see if I missed something but it was a pretty straight forwards process in that AVS post.

Any thoughts?

Deepo

I followed the steps in the AVS link you posted since I'm on a C6. The tv connects and I get all green circles, but when I click check for update it just says no update found. Tried to retrace my steps to see if I missed something but it was a pretty straight forwards process in that AVS post.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a US model C6, a C6P?

New002

Do you have a US model C6, a C6P?

That's correct.

One thing I noticed is when I run startDNS the command prompt stays open, but when I run startHTTPS it opens for a sec but then immediately closes. Could that mean that part is failing?

After like 1.5-2 hrs tinkering around I was able to hop on my wife's win 10 machine instead. Definitely an issue with my pc and startHTTPS. That command prompt stayed open on her machine and it's downloading now.

That's correct.

One thing I noticed is when I run startDNS the command prompt stays open, but when I run startHTTPS it opens for a sec but then immediately closes. Could that mean that part is failing?

After like 1.5-2 hrs tinkering around I was able to hop on my wife's win 10 machine instead. Definitely an issue with my pc and startHTTPS. That command prompt stayed open on her machine and it's downloading now.

Well if you still want to check why it didn't work with your own computer, try this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245117617&postcount=1668
It's possible that some service is blocking port 80 that is required to run apache.

Deepo

EDIT: Essentially what Yappadappadu said above. (Need to learn to read all posts before replying),

That's correct.

Sounds like Apache had trouble starting. This can happen if you're already running a web server, like IIS. Here's some info. If you're not running IIS, I'm not really sure why it failed.

Anyway, good to hear that you found a workaround.

NYR

Is there a way to tell my E6 to stop asking if I want to upgrade the firmware?

I believe you can block the LG server in your router. Deepo posted a few pages back to block snu.lge.com and su.lge.com in the firewall of your router:

As a bonus I blocked snu.lge.com and su.lge.com in the firewall on my router, so now it no longer nags me for the 05.30.10 update when I turn on the TV. Yay!

New002

Well if you still want to check why it didn't work with your own computer, try this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245117617&postcount=1668
It's possible that some service is blocking port 80 that is required to run apache.

EDIT: Essentially what Yappadappadu said above. (Need to learn to read all posts before replying),

Sounds like Apache had trouble starting. This can happen if you're already running a web server, like IIS. Here's some info. If you're not running IIS, I'm not really sure why it failed.

Anyway, good to hear that you found a workaround.

Appreciate it :)

And yeah, not running any web server as far as I know o_O. No clue what was up.

holygeesus

Banned
Ugh, that sucks. I would just abandon HDR Game Mode and use HDR Bright at this point.

I've changed my approach. HDR Bright blows out white levels too much for my liking. Currently I'm rocking HDR Standard with Dynamic Contrast on 'Low'. Works better in maintaining detail and keeping 'pop'. The Last of Us looks amazing.

Deepo

Any links where to download Software_File(Version_04.31.05).zip for Canada/US?

Don't think 04.31.05 exists for US models, but here's a link to 04.31.00 for the Canada/US C6P and E6P: http://www.lg.com/us/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?DOC_ID=20150368731783&what=MANUAL&fromSystem=LG.COM&fileId=RQ8o8WmYwypD3WzDOdyJw&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=Software_File%28Version_04.31.00%29.zip

I believe that was the last FW released before the one with the screwed (or improved, depending on taste) HDR Game Mode (05.30.02)

Paz

Just catching up and in utter disbelief that this was an intentional change, what incompetence.

Fuck ever buying another LG product if this isn't fixed, that's for sure.

Weevilone

Just catching up and in utter disbelief that this was an intentional change, what incompetence.

Fuck ever buying another LG product if this isn't fixed, that's for sure.

It'll go well with my LG monitor that goes black if it doesn't receive the perfect refresh/resolution combination to make it happy. Lesson learned..

Wiped89

Shiiiiit. I changed networks recently and stupidly put my TV back on wi fi because I forgot about this. Now my TV has bloody updated.

It looks awful. Fuck. The colours are ruined. I'm playing Wipeout now and I can tell its screwy because menus that had black text on now have grey text, and some text looks almost transparent. So that effect is being applied to all colours. Every thing looks washed out.

And the same has happend to HDR Vivid (yeah fight me), albeit not quite as pronounced, which leads me to believe this is some proposed change to target burn in or something.

I hate it.

Lol, my friend just bought the C6T and I immediately noticed the unplayable input lag when we turned the HDR on, then I remembered seeing this thread all the time.

Kyoufu

But running any other HDR mode than game does increase input lag, correct?

Yeah. LG needs to fix this nonsense.

Lol, my friend just bought the C6T and I immediately noticed the unplayable input lag when we turned the HDR on, then I remembered seeing this thread all the time.

This thread is no longer about the input lag since they fixed that. It's the brightness that's borked now.

NYR

Don't think 04.31.05 exists for US models, but here's a link to 04.31.00 for the Canada/US C6P and E6P: http://www.lg.com/us/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?DOC_ID=20150368731783&what=MANUAL&fromSystem=LG.COM&fileId=RQ8o8WmYwypD3WzDOdyJw&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=Software_File%28Version_04.31.00%29.zip

I believe that was the last FW released before the one with the screwed (or improved, depending on taste) HDR Game Mode (05.30.02)
Ah okay, 04.30.95 was the last one I had installed.

holygeesus

Banned
What's the input lag on those modes?

B6 & C6/E6?

They will be different for both. I've not seen measurements for the latest B6 firmware though. The first one after HDR Game mode was introduced had lag for the other HDR modes at ~80ms but there is no way that is accurate.

Deepo

Yukstin

Would be interesting to see the input lag differences between HDR game mode and HDR standard mode with all the processing turned off.

I'm assuming game mode turns everything off to achieve the ~32ms input lag. Does turning off all processing (trumotion etc.) in HDR standard mode re-create HDR game mode or is LG doing additional things behind the scenes that consumers can't access?

Read the article. That's certainly not the move I'd make after just winning an award for second best TV in the industry.

Introduce HDR Game Accurate Mode. Done. Everybody's happy.

Yeah for all I care they make it optional so that you can choose the dim mode as well. Sigh LG.

It's starting to look more and more that I'll be having to get used to some input lag while using one of the other HDR modes.

Would be interesting to see the input lag differences between HDR game mode and HDR standard mode with all the processing turned off.

I'm assuming game mode turns everything off to achieve the ~32ms input lag. Does turning off all processing (trumotion etc.) in HDR standard mode re-create HDR game mode or is LG doing additional things behind the scenes that consumers can't access?

That's what I wonder as well. People on AVS told me the input lag increase really isn't all that big. But what exactly is it I wonder. I am fine with game mode now and I'm sure HDR game mode as well with its small input lag increase but if I notice any more increases I have no idea.

Well that fucking sucks. Here goes my hope that the input lag wouldn't be too bad outside HDR game in other HDR modes.

Top Bottom