• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

NYR

So who's the guy on AVForums talking shit about GAF ? lol, just surfed some threads and the guys there seem to shit on anyone who doesn't prefer the new HDR Game Mode especially people in this thread. To each their own, their settings are pretty obvious, I have been using settings close to this for ages minus Dynamic Contrast. I still don't think jacking up Dynamic Contrast is a solution.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-settings-for-oled-2016-hdr-game.2121116/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread-part-6.2097705/page-167

So who's the guy on AVForums talking shit about GAF ? lol, just surfed some threads and the guys there seem to shit on anyone who doesn't prefer the new HDR Game Mode especially people in this thread. To each their own, their settings are pretty obvious, I have been using settings close to this for ages minus Dynamic Contrast. I still don't think jacking up Dynamic Contrast is a solution.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-settings-for-oled-2016-hdr-game.2121116/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread-part-6.2097705/page-167

I've tested this out, and although it makes the picture more punchy like it used to be it still comes with all the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. I'm tired of constantly regurgitating myself, so I'll just quote myself directly from the AV forums.

Dynamic contrast does NOT work differently in HDR. Hell, even with the 2017 models and their active HDR implementation through the dynamic contrast setting they still show the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. Dynamic contrast adjusts brightness levels on the fly which will screw up gamma, contrast, and brightness depending on scene. The one thing dynamic contrast does is make the screen artificially brighter, but to the people that are sensitive to the dynamic nature of dynamic contrast, it ain't a bloody solution. Most people simply aren't aware of these side effects, so dynamic contrast is a solution that works for them. But to people that care for an accurate display, dynamic contrast is not a fix, it's a damn compromise.

Now this new tone mapping does provide more detail in highlights yes, but in doing so it sacrifices the overall brightness of the display to a shocking degree on the C/E/G series. It also crushes blacks by default too, so that's nice. Now the only solution to the crushed blacks is to either enable dynamic contrast which has a whole host of drawbacks or crank up your TV's brightness and in doing so losing the perfect blacks or hope the HDR enabled game you're currently playing has an in-game brightness slider which many don't. So yeah, you get more detail in highlights, but in doing so we get slightly crushed blacks and a pathetically dim screen that is unplayable in normal lighting conditions. LG has forced gamers to use a setting that artificially enhances the brightness on the fly with a myriad of issues simply because they can't be bothered giving us an option to choose the older implementation of the game mode. The saddest thing is they're going to get away with it because the majority of people aren't impacted by the side effects of dynamic contrast, so the minority that care for an accurate display get screwed.

I still can't wrap my head around what an absolute cluster of horse crap LG's response to this issue has been. Initially they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix, then the American and Canadian branch started suspiciously implying this was a deliberate change even though it wasn't included in the patch notes. Then some other branches of LG started saying they were going to put this out to the 2017 models (which they haven't yet), and not just to the HDR game mode either but apparently to all the HDR modes. Oh, and I was informed by LG themselves that they had already forced out this new tone-mapping into all the HDR modes in the 2016 and 2017 series which is just a downright lie. This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is. The C/E/G series also never suffered from any screen tearing issues, their previous HDR game mode's tone-mapping was completely in line with the standard HDR mode which hasn't been changed, and honestly I don't think it will. I don't think LG will enforce this change onto their 2017 series, or the other HDR modes, I think this new tone-mapping will stay exclusive to the poor old HDR game mode of the C/E/G models because nothing about this situation screams like a deliberate change on LG's behalf. Hell, even an LG employee said this change was forced on us by some engineers without much thought before their statement was taken down by LG.

I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option. All they'd have to do is give two HDR game modes, a bright pre-set with the old in my opinion superior tone-mapping, and a dark pre-set with the new aggressive tone-mapping. Something that would take one of their engineers literally a few hours to implement, will they do that? No, much easier just to tell everyone to throw dynamic contrast on. Damn disgusting. What a load of bollocks.

I'm staying downgraded forever it seems. Even more so considering that a recent firmware actually got rid of perfect blacks, what the hell LG?

Weevilone

It's pretty clear to me that I won't ever buy another LG ... anything. It's a shame because just a few months ago I was pretty stoked about my TV.

I still have what I had then, but I clearly can't upgrade if they add some killer feature.

It's pretty clear to me that I won't ever buy another LG ... anything. It's a shame because just a few months ago I was pretty stoked about my TV.

I still have what I had then, but I clearly can't upgrade if they add some killer feature.

It's damn disappointing man, it's put me in a really sour mood this whole affair. I was so happy with my set and now I've been forced to downgrade just to keep the old superior HDR mode. I can't even block the damn update notification because blocking the LG URL causes my router to shutdown sporadically for no reason. Great way to treat a customer who's thrown down thousands on your product LG.

NYR

It's damn disappointing man, it's put me in a really sour mood this whole affair. I was so happy with my set and now I've been forced to downgrade just to keep the old superior HDR mode. I can't even block the damn update notification because blocking the LG URL causes my router to shutdown sporadically for no reason. Great way to treat a customer who's thrown down thousands on your product LG.
You should just disconnect the TV from the Internet, that is brutal.

I've tested this out, and although it makes the picture more punchy like it used to be it still comes with all the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. I'm tired of constantly regurgitating myself, so I'll just quote myself directly from the AV forums.

Dynamic contrast does NOT work differently in HDR. Hell, even with the 2017 models and their active HDR implementation through the dynamic contrast setting they still show the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. Dynamic contrast adjusts brightness levels on the fly which will screw up gamma, contrast, and brightness depending on scene. The one thing dynamic contrast does is make the screen artificially brighter, but to the people that are sensitive to the dynamic nature of dynamic contrast, it ain't a bloody solution. Most people simply aren't aware of these side effects, so dynamic contrast is a solution that works for them. But to people that care for an accurate display, dynamic contrast is not a fix, it's a damn compromise.

Now this new tone mapping does provide more detail in highlights yes, but in doing so it sacrifices the overall brightness of the display to a shocking degree on the C/E/G series. It also crushes blacks by default too, so that's nice. Now the only solution to the crushed blacks is to either enable dynamic contrast which has a whole host of drawbacks or crank up your TV's brightness and in doing so losing the perfect blacks or hope the HDR enabled game you're currently playing has an in-game brightness slider which many don't. So yeah, you get more detail in highlights, but in doing so we get slightly crushed blacks and a pathetically dim screen that is unplayable in normal lighting conditions. LG has forced gamers to use a setting that artificially enhances the brightness on the fly with a myriad of issues simply because they can't be bothered giving us an option to choose the older implementation of the game mode. The saddest thing is they're going to get away with it because the majority of people aren't impacted by the side effects of dynamic contrast, so the minority that care for an accurate display get screwed.

I still can't wrap my head around what an absolute cluster of horse crap LG's response to this issue has been. Initially they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix, then the American and Canadian branch started suspiciously implying this was a deliberate change even though it wasn't included in the patch notes. Then some other branches of LG started saying they were going to put this out to the 2017 models (which they haven't yet), and not just to the HDR game mode either but apparently to all the HDR modes. Oh, and I was informed by LG themselves that they had already forced out this new tone-mapping into all the HDR modes in the 2016 and 2017 series which is just a downright lie. This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is. The C/E/G series also never suffered from any screen tearing issues, their previous HDR game mode's tone-mapping was completely in line with the standard HDR mode which hasn't been changed, and honestly I don't think it will. I don't think LG will enforce this change onto their 2017 series, or the other HDR modes, I think this new tone-mapping will stay exclusive to the poor old HDR game mode of the C/E/G models because nothing about this situation screams like a deliberate change on LG's behalf. Hell, even an LG employee said this change was forced on us by some engineers without much thought before their statement was taken down by LG.

I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option. All they'd have to do is give two HDR game modes, a bright pre-set with the old in my opinion superior tone-mapping, and a dark pre-set with the new aggressive tone-mapping. Something that would take one of their engineers literally a few hours to implement, will they do that? No, much easier just to tell everyone to throw dynamic contrast on. Damn disgusting. What a load of bollocks.

I'm staying downgraded forever it seems. Even more so considering that a recent firmware actually got rid of perfect blacks, what the hell LG?

Did they say there wouldn't be any future updates or is this bullshit?

Is there any way to disable notifications on the B6? I have auto-updates turned off but obviously when I boot the setup for the first time, it tells me an update is available and i have to cancel it.

Did they say there wouldn't be any future updates or is this bullshit?

They've already released two firmwares since this debacle and their support is saying this change is deliberate without any plans to fix things. I'm really thinking we're stuck with this new HDR game mode. You really got two choices, use dynamic contrast with it's rather nasty drawbacks, or don't update, ever. I personally can't stand dynamic contrast so I know what I'm doing. It's an all round shitty situation because even with dynamic contrast you're never gonna get an image as vibrant as the old HDR game mode provided. Just damn.

Is there any way to disable notifications on the B6? I have auto-updates turned off but obviously when I boot the setup for the first time, it tells me an update is available and i have to cancel it.

As a B6 owner you should be fine as far as I know. It's only the C/E/G 2016 models that have been changed to the incredibly dim HDR game mode.

e90Mark

Agreed. This is my first LG TV and probably my last. Obviously, back then there was only one choice for OLED. I'll be heading back to Sony/Panny.

I've tried 256k's settings, and I share your sentiments with DC.

SOLDIER

What's the best resource to find a local calibrator for my E6?

And what credentials would I need to look for in order to get a professional calibrator? I want to make sure I don't hire an amateur who could potentially fuck up my TV.

As a B6 owner you should be fine as far as I know. It's only the C/E/G 2016 models that have been changed to the incredibly dim HDR game mode.

Oh, I thought you were specifically talking about the B6. I've got the update prior to the most recent, but I just turned it offline so I won't get the update notifications anymore. They better fix that shit. I'm planning on sticking with this set for the next 3-4+ years as my primary gaming TV.

Dave_6

The past two nights when I've turned by B6 on, it's asked me if I want to update. I have automatic updates set to off so I don't know why it even asks. Hopefully it won't force it.

The past two nights when I've turned by B6 on, it's asked me if I want to update. I have automatic updates set to off so I don't know why it even asks. Hopefully it won't force it.

It will ask you every time, since you have auto-update off, it will not force it. Remedy so far has been to modify router settings to prevent the update inquiry to LG server's from happening.

I believe the B6 just received its own update in the States which raises the black level across the board as well as adding HLG support, etc. (take a look at the AVSforum thread)

So no, I'm not updating.

It will ask you every time, since you have auto-update off, it will not force it. Remedy so far has been to modify router settings to prevent the update inquiry to LG server's from happening.

Any info on that modification? Are you simply restricting a URL? What URL?

golem

I believe the B6 just received its own update in the States which raises the black level across the board as well as adding HLG support, etc. (take a look at the AVSforum thread)

So no, I'm not updating.

Any info on that modification? Are you simply restricting a URL? What URL?

Redirect or block everything from .lge.com

SOLDIER

I leave my online as that is what I use for Netflix, etc.

Crap, I would have to do that too if I want to use Netflix on the TV.

So I would be getting that "ready to update" message every time too, huh.

There a way to keep it from popping up?

Weevilone

Crap, I would have to do that too if I want to use Netflix on the TV.

So I would be getting that "ready to update" message every time too, huh.

There a way to keep it from popping up?

Yes, it's been posted many times. You block the update URLs in your router/firewall.

Wounded

Can someone clarify, the HDR game mode that was released while still being bright, did that still have the tearing along the bottom? I know that was an issue in a firmware, but not sure if they fixed the tearing in an update that also made it dimmer.

Thanks.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option.

I know how you feel. I spent over 3 grand on one of these things, and before I was able to play my first HDR game on it, an auto-update gets pushed to it, and I have yet to play a single game on the TV that I bought for gaming.

holygeesus

Banned
Can someone clarify, the HDR game mode that was released while still being bright, did that still have the tearing along the bottom? I know that was an issue in a firmware, but not sure if they fixed the tearing in an update that also made it dimmer.

Thanks.

Depends which country you are in. There was never a non-dim HDR Game mode for UK sets, and the US HDR Game mode pre-dimming was the one with tearing.

NYR

I thought most agreed the dynamic brightness setting mitigated the problems with the new Game HDR mode?
The nerds at AVForums now say putting Dynamic Contrast at high is too much and to put it on MEDIUM. Apparently the high setting forces the ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) to kick in faster causing massive dips. Medium apparently allows for a "higher color expression" according to them.

It's darker. It looks worse. LG fucked up and some people refuse to accept it.

Afrikan

I also wish they would update some of their apps...like the UFC App.

It's the old version and you can't fast forward properly without accidentally spoiling the outcome of a fight sometimes.

I don't know if it's up to UFC or LG...but with the good sales of LG's TVs.. you would think UFC would push the issue.

It's the same with the DAZN streaming app, a major sports streaming service that shows english and spanish football league in Germany. The latest app update is from December 2016.

NYR

The nerds at AVForums now say putting Dynamic Contrast at high is too much and to put it on MEDIUM. Apparently the high setting forces the ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) to kick in faster causing massive dips. Medium apparently allows for a "higher color expression" according to them.

It's darker. It looks worse. LG fucked up and some people refuse to accept it.

Okay, the nerd with the anime avatar called me out on AVforums by name because he is too much of a pussy to do it here, lol.

The snowflake, in his best broken english, is now saying go back to HIGH because everyone is replying saying the image is too dark and washed out on Medium (obviously). Take that for what it is worth. We shall await the next flip flop.

bodine1231

I just purchased a B7 today and the dim game mode HDR issue is in full effect. Going back and forth between Game and Standard is very very noticable. Setting the Dynamic Contrast to Medium helps as well as cranking the brightness ingame in Horizon but it still has this greyish tint compared to the other HDR modes.

Guess I'm dealing with the update notification every time I turn my 55" B6 on since I forgot my router login information lmao

What a fucking failure on LG's part. Firmware update that destroys perfect blacks, which is literally the biggest selling point of an OLED panel? What fucking incompetent idiot is in charge of that?

Whatever. Next OLED I buy (65+ inches) will be a Sony or a Philips, easy choice.

Ashhong

I'm confused, thought I read that the 2017 models don't have any issues? But then another poster saying he has it on his B7?

julrik

Fuck this. I'm selling my E6.

I'll buy a Panasonic OLED in a few years. In the meantime, a Sony X900E should cover my needs.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A bit of a different problem, but, does anyone elses apps sometimes close citing memory problems?

It's mainly the Youtube app and the browser for me.

bodine1231

I'm confused, thought I read that the 2017 models don't have any issues? But then another poster saying he has it on his B7?

I read somewhere that they plan to put this in all HDR settings,its intended. I found a workaround on my B7 though for PS4 games. Just set my input to PC,on PC all HDR settings have the same input lag so now I can use Standard and it feels as responsive as Game without the dimness.

Ashhong

Is there a way to see the details of the video output, like it's resolution, Hz, hdr etc? I'm watching a video that is supposed to have hdr but not even sure it's on..

Weevilone

Could you link me to the post with instructions? I have a Netgear router, Xfinity is my service (if that matters).

It was posted literally the post above where you asked.

The exact process will depend on your network devices, so you'll have to research that.

flozuki

Guess I'm dealing with the update notification every time I turn my 55" B6 on since I forgot my router login information lmao

What a fucking failure on LG's part. Firmware update that destroys perfect blacks, which is literally the biggest selling point of an OLED panel? What fucking incompetent idiot is in charge of that?

Whatever. Next OLED I buy (65+ inches) will be a Sony or a Philips, easy choice.

Both use ATV so that is unfortunately a no go for me since I also like good usability and ux for my tv habits :/

But I will happily return to Pana if Lg doesn't fix their mess regarding HDR gaming.

killroy87

I wouldn't call myself a straight up videophile, so I probably won't end up noticing the changes to my B6, which I was foolish enough to have auto update on for. That said, I spent the money on it (a LOT of money), because it was considered one of the best sets available. So the idea that the image has been actively altered for the worse now is super frustrating, and makes me incredibly turned off of buying any future LG products. I don't spend the premium price of a B6 for shoddy updates that make so many compromises.

f@luS

More than a member.

i couldn't do it with my routeur
I use open dns to block it. Works like a charm. No pop up

SOLDIER

Redirect or block everything from .lge.com

Not sure if I'm doing it right:

ObwhuPq.jpg

I still get the notification update after this.

Wounded

Is there a way to see the details of the video output, like it's resolution, Hz, hdr etc? I'm watching a video that is supposed to have hdr but not even sure it's on..

Move the cursor to the top left and tap once or twice it should be.

If HDR is on it will pop up in the top right saying HDR when it starts playing, so it should be easy to tell.

Top Bottom