• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Codiox

Again, I'm happy for you but i don't know what there is to discuss. LG dimmed the HDR Game mode and they themselves had one tip and that was to put "Dynamic Contrast" to High. It's great you found a setting you are happy with but the difference to the Standard HDR setting was obvious and not changeable, no matter what options you try to change at least on the TV I had. And that experience seems to be one that many, many consumers and journalists had.

Maybe you have an OLED? Can't really argue with that since I had a LCD.

Wow wait, aren't we talking about the Oled?

el3m

Neo Member
The HDR Game mode was dimmer all along in EU. The new update ruins the perfect blacks on B6.

Maybe I should get my eyesight checked, but I don't see any practical difference between HDR Game and HDR Standard with the current 05.30.03 firmware. The settings I use are from the Digital Foundry video. B6 in EU.

I also read about the perfect blacks issue with the current firmware, but I cannot replicate it either.

I'm not trying to dismiss the issues, there might be some hardware revisions in play here?

I configured this in my router
cS2I2qP.png

but still get the update message UU Any idea?
Currently playing Horizon with the 1st european firmware that added HDR and it looks great (with high dynamic contrast, otherwise its too dim).

So you can't downgrade the 2017 models. And mine came with the firmware that fucks up HDR Game mode. Great.

Well someone at AVS has a temporary fix.

If you change the icon of your HDMI input on your B7/C7/etc to PC, the TV will actually change the way it treats that input. Apparently switching it to PC will give you that 21 ms response time while letting you use any of the HDR modes, like HDR Standard. The trade-off is that the advanced settings are no longer changeable. It's the sacrifice for global 21 ms. But the poster who said this also has recommended settings.

I don't know very much about TV calibration but I can confirm that the tuning the HDR Standard mode to his settings looks really nice and restores the brightness without crushing blacks with active dynamic contrast.

Edit: apparently the colors still aren't correct but I can't tell :/
Edit: apparently the colors for PC HDR are fixed with 3.6 webOS

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php#/topics/0?postid=54814664
Thats an interesting solution if even Vivid HDR has the low input lag. I wanted to check the thread from AVS but the link doesnt work.

NYR

cS2I2qP.png

Currently playing Horizon with the 1st european firmware that added HDR and it looks great (with high dynamic contrast, otherwise its too dim).
Try blocking at your modem level, not router.

Also, I’m surprised you need Dynamic contract on the old HDR game mode, you’re going to experience bleeding.

Hawk269

cS2I2qP.png

Thats an interesting solution if even Vivid HDR has the low input lag. I wanted to check the thread from AVS but the link doesnt work.
It's not a fix since changing the icon to PC introduces severe color banding. Until they fix that it is pointless to change to PC icon right now.

Dez

It's not a fix since changing the icon to PC introduces severe color banding. Until they fix that it is pointless to change to PC icon right now.

Choosing 4:2:0 colour in HDR PC mode fixes the banding. Of course you get additional compression but I’d say the effect is negligible.

Try blocking at your modem level, not router.

Also, I’m surprised you need Dynamic contract on the old HDR game mode, you’re going to experience bleeding.

Sorry for my ignorance, how can I do that?

Maybe the EU HDR game mode was always dim, with dynamic contrast it looks just fine, not too bright but not dim.

SOLDIER

Sorry for my ignorance, how can I do that?

Maybe the EU HDR game mode was always dim, with dynamic contrast it looks just fine, not too bright but not dim.

I would like to know as well. I only know of accessing the router through 192.268.etc on your browser.

Weevilone

You can also sign up for Open DNS. It might cost you a small annual fee to get the one that allows filtering, but just set that up and use their IPs for DNS.

Lucifon

I also updated my UK B6 this weekend and yeah...all seems fine to me. Last update introduced HDR Game Mode for us, in all its dim glory from day one (dynamic contrast helps a lot). I'll continue to do more testing but there doesn't appear to be any issues. Main thing I've noticed so far is that there's some nice new 4K standby images of locations which look pretty awesome.

I think the backlash from this could make them change it. It has been pretty negative. Has to hit the bottom-line though.

I had been looking at the LG Oled TVs for over a year now (6 series, not 7), and now this fall I'm finally ready to purchase, yet am leaving towards a Sony 930e now.

I also updated my UK B6 this weekend and yeah...all seems fine to me. Last update introduced HDR Game Mode for us, in all its dim glory from day one (dynamic contrast helps a lot). I'll continue to do more testing but there doesn't appear to be any issues. Main thing I've noticed so far is that there's some nice new 4K standby images of locations which look pretty awesome.
So we always had the dim HDR Game Mode in Europe, makes sense that I need dynamic contrast on high then.

Is it possible that LG will listen to complaints and fix this further with another firmware update?
Hope so, Im not willing to buy another TV from LG right now.

Smokey

I'm not sure what the rules are as far as linking to AVSForums, but I'll quote the guide so you can easily Google the instructions/download the tools from there.

As far as the blocking goes, look up how to block snu.lge.com on your router and it should block all future updates from LG.

Did you have to download the 04.31.10 firmware separately, or was this too able to auto find it?

Why are people still buying these TVs when they have a known bug like his one?

I'm following this thread but can't really say that the dim HDR bothers me (UK set). I have calibrated my TV in a medium lit room and it's stunning.

I accept that other people are unhappy with their set and they may tell me (and may actually be right!) that a "full" HDR Game mode would be even better and that's fine.

However, I have a LCD panel and an OLED panel, both with an XBox attached and the OLED is amazeballs so I'm happy. And would buy again.

Is it possible that LG will listen to complaints and fix this further with another firmware update?

So far they have been doing things their own way when it comes to HDR Game mode. They pretty much decided for us what was better. I say fuck that and provide us with options. Make it optional. Now I'm having to work with a higher input lag if I want to use HDR bright in HDR games, thank you LG. You are far too kind.

I'm following this thread but can't really say that the dim HDR bothers me (UK set). I have calibrated my TV in a medium lit room and it's stunning.

I accept that other people are unhappy with their set and they may tell me (and may actually be right!) that a "full" HDR Game mode would be even better and that's fine.

However, I have a LCD panel and an OLED panel, both with an XBox attached and the OLED is amazeballs so I'm happy. And would buy again.

What are your settings?

What are your settings?

I'm at work at present but I took them from one of these threads and cross-checked RTings and AV Forums for any tweaks. The biggest arse to sort out was the colour settings so they took me ages but, as everyone says, they can be panel specific so wont help everyone in the same way. People have had mixed results but I'm very happy with mine.

I'm really interested to see what the Xbox One X does with HDR implementation as the HDR on games to date has been limited.

NYR

Not a single update request since downgrading this weekend, my block seems to be working.

Can’t say how much I re-love my E6 again, like re-marrying an ex lol.

Kyoufu

Not a single update request since downgrading this weekend, my block seems to be working.

LG can do one tbh. Having to downgrade firmware is total nonsense. I'm not buying their products again.

SOLDIER

Can you tell us how you did it? You mentioned blocking the site through your modem instead of your router? How is this done?

NYR

Can you tell us how you did it? You mentioned blocking the site through your modem instead of your router? How is this done?
My modem had a setting to do keyword blocking just like your screenshot. I guess I was just lucky. Check the back of your modem to see if there is a IP address and password you log into, the settings will be in there.

My router also had these settings but I did it at the modem level and it worked.

My modem had a setting to do keyword blocking just like your screenshot. I guess I was just lucky. Check the back of your modem to see if there is a IP address and password you log into, the settings will be in there.

My router also had these settings but I did it at the modem level and it worked.

Which modem are you using?

Basically following this exactly on my Fios Gateway with no success.

Weevilone

Typically you will only be doing DHCP/NAT and firewall functions on one device. If you have a separate box then the modem will be in bridge mode, thus none of this. My Charter device is bridged in this way. My ATT internet gateway doesn't really do a traditional bridge mode, so you can use the firewall there if desired, while using a separate router. I don't like it.

It all really just comes down to the specific device.

Typically you will only be doing DHCP/NAT and firewall functions on one device. If you have a separate box then the modem will be in bridge mode, thus none of this. My Charter device is bridged in this way. My ATT internet gateway doesn't really do a traditional bridge mode, so you can use the firewall there if desired, while using a separate router. I don't like it.

It all really just comes down to the specific device.

This makes it sound like I should be good on my single modem setup, but for whatever reason it's still not blocking the update request from LG.

Weevilone

This makes it sound like I should be good on my single modem setup, but for whatever reason it's still not blocking the update request from LG.

Sign up for the free Open DNS service. You should be able to filter out those URLs at the DNS level on the website. Then use their DNS servers and it'll block. I don't think you need the paid service, but if so it is only $20/year.

killroy87

It's so sad that this thread has just become a modem support thread haha. I can't believe LG managed to bungle this up so badly. They should, at the very least, make it easy to just roll back to previous firmware if that's what someone wants to do.

NYR

It's so sad that this thread has just become a modem support thread haha. I can't believe LG managed to bungle this up so badly. They should, at the very least, make it easy to just roll back to previous firmware if that's what someone wants to do.

To be honest, it is pretty easy, all you are doing is spoofing the TV to believe your computer is the firmware server and push through the old firmware, the process isn't too difficult.

JABEE

Is anyone else not able to access apps or the LG content store?

It says each app needs an update and just goes black when I click update.

Sign up for the free Open DNS service. You should be able to filter out those URLs at the DNS level on the website. Then use their DNS servers and it'll block. I don't think you need the paid service, but if so it is only $20/year.

OMG Thank you Weevilone!! This worked perfectly. Been trying to figure this out for weeks and it was literally as simple as following these directions haha. Anyone else having problems blocking the update prompt I suggest trying this.

Rocket786

So I cannot find the 04.31.00 firmware on LG's site for the 65 E6. The only available download on their site is for the 05.30.02 firmware. Google hasn't helped me either. Is this firmware still available somewhere for me to download? I need the good HDR game mode back, and I'm tired of waiting on LG to fix this issue!

NYR

So I cannot find the 04.31.00 firmware on LG's site for the 65 E6. The only available download on their site is for the 05.30.02 firmware. Google hasn't helped me either. Is this firmware still available somewhere for me to download? I need the good HDR game mode back, and I'm tired of waiting on LG to fix this issue!

I have it on my computer - if you have somewhere I can put it (1 GB) I can get it to you. Also, LG is NOT going to fix this "issue" - it isn't an issue to them, this was intentional.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll create a gmail and put it on the free storage on the google drive and share the link via PM. Uploading now...will edit this post when done.

I have it on my computer - if you have somewhere I can put it (1 GB) I can get it to you. Also, LG is NOT going to fix this "issue" - it isn't an issue to them, this was intentional.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll create a gmail and put it on the free storage on the google drive and share the link via PM. Uploading now...will edit this post when done.

You can always use wetransfer.com to send up to 2gb of files to anyone. The link is good for a week.

NYR

Oh shit. Forgot to post I was done lol. Fucking Star Wars tickets got me.

Will PM the link out now. If anyone needs it, PM me.

EDIT 11:25 PM EST:
Link sent!

Rocket786

Oh shit. Forgot to post I was done lol. Fucking Star Wars tickets got me.

Will PM the link out now. If anyone needs it, PM me.

EDIT 11:25 PM EST:

Link sent!

You rock man! I was able to download it. Now to sort through the multiple different instructions of how to downgrade... Seems intimidating. Well I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the firmware!

Rocket786

i think 04.31.10 is all you're going to find.
LG's site didn't even show a firmware of 04.31.10 for me. Was that a release in the US? I just downloaded the 04.31.00 from NYR. I thought this was the one before LG screwed up the game mode. Is it not? Should I be looking for another one?

I couldn't imagine what it looks like to play games on an OLED. I've seen them on display but that's completely different than actually bringing them home. I absolutely love the OLED display on my phone! I would likely opt for an OLED PC monitor over a TV though, but I heard there's not much reason for those to exist.

Ashhong

I couldn't imagine what it looks like to play games on an OLED. I've seen them on display but that's completely different than actually bringing them home. I absolutely love the OLED display on my phone! I would likely opt for an OLED PC monitor over a TV though, but I heard there's not much reason for those to exist.

They're gonna have to completely solve burn in before I jump on an OLED PC monitor. There's no way the bottom tool bar doesn't get burned into the image.

NYR

LG's site didn't even show a firmware of 04.31.10 for me. Was that a release in the US? I just downloaded the 04.31.00 from NYR. I thought this was the one before LG screwed up the game mode. Is it not? Should I be looking for another one?
There is no 31.10 for the E6. There are different versions for different models. You’re good with 31.00.

Top Bottom