• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

New002

So I was getting ready to play panel lottery with my KS8000 I got yesterday, and was planning on returning tonight for a 55", but today I got a very nice holiday bonus and suddenly the B6 is in sight. What's the deal with image retention on this thing? I'm coming from a Panny plasma so I'm certainly no stranger to it, but one of the benefits of the KS8000 was not having to worry about it (I still have some Destiny HUD burned faintly into my plasma).

There is image retention, but it fades. After 4 hours of cumulative use it runs a more thorough compensation cycle to clear up any lingering issues. The only issue I've had was when I first got the set and watched some bright 4:3 anime. You could see a veeeeeeery subtle shift in color on the left and right sides of the screen where the black bands were. I have an eye for that kind of stuff though :/ This cleared up with the 4 hour compensation cycle, but not until then.

Also, I could have sworn these sets ran a mini compensation cycle every time they were powered off, but I can't find a source for that.

There is image retention, but it fades. After 4 hours of cumulative use it runs a more thorough compensation cycle to clear up any lingering issues. The only issue I've had was when I first got the set and watched some bright 4:3 anime. You could see a veeeeeeery subtle shift in color on the left and right sides of the screen where the black bands were. I have an eye for that kind of stuff though :/ This cleared up with the 4 hour compensation cycle, but not until then.

Also, I could have sworn these sets ran a mini compensation cycle every time they were powered off, but I can't find a source for that.

If you are worried about image retention read this article and stop worrying. Get the TV you won't regret it. Just make sure to calibrate it correctly.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/what-to-know-about-oled-screen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

The tv does automatically run a quick compensation cycle when you turn it off and you can run a manual one that takes an hour also to clear panel noise that builds up.

The TV does a regular compensation cycle when it turns off after 4 hours of regular use, yes.

You can manually set the TV to do a more comprehensive compensation cycle which takes an hour (you can also have the TV do this when it turns off), though LG engineers have stated this type of cycle is meant to be done after hundreds of hours of use and not regularly as it may shorten the life of the television. There was a pretty lengthy post about it on AVS. I ran the full compensation cycle once when I got the set out of the box to clear up some vignetting issues but I haven't had the need to run it again.

If you have some type of picture issue that necessitates it, go ahead but I wouldn't recommend running the manual cycle on a regular basis. There shouldn't be a need.

There is so much confusion about this spread across multiple threads. We could use a dedicated thread I'm thinking.. hmm.
There's really not much confusion at all. Give this a read.

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

Deepo

How convenient that the C6 is on sale this weekend! 18999NOK = $2256 = €2115. Would that be a good buy?

n0razi

prices for the E6/C6 will probably hit their lowest in March/April as the stock dwindles out and the 2017s actually hit stores.

If the 65 E6 moves down to $1800 that early, I can see myself getting that for the living room and moving the current 55 B6 to the bedroom. My 46" 1080p Vizio set looks like absolute ass now after getting spoiled by the B6... even my IPS 1440p computer monitor looks like ass lol

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If the 65 E6 moves down to $1800 that early, I can see myself getting that for the living room and moving the current 55 B6 to the bedroom. My 46" 1080p Vizio set looks like absolute ass now after getting spoiled by the B6... even my IPS 1440p computer monitor looks like ass lol

1800 might be a bit ambitious

Afrikan

So that says that your game console/Media Player should always be set to "limited"...no matter what (when using a TV).....and THEN go from there with other settings on the TV.

PS4 Pro - set to "Limited"
LG OLED - Set black level to "Low"

will try in a bit.

that Death Stranding tunnel section opened my eyes again to fix something I messed up apperently.

Sky87

How convenient that the C6 is on sale this weekend! 18999NOK = $2256 = €2115. Would that be a good buy?

Should just get the B6 instead, no? The only difference as far as i know is the curved display, which is just a gimmick.

B6 is still cheaper as well (Norway).

Afrikan

Should just get the B6 instead, no? The only difference as far as i know is the curved display, which is just a gimmick.

C6 has 3D (which looks Amazing on OLED) and has an inhouse LG processor like the E6/G6.

Both are great TVs. Same picture quality.

C6 has 3D and a better processor as well, and also lower input lag on SDR content and maybe HDR content even after the update.

New002

The TV does a regular compensation cycle when it turns off after 4 hours of regular use, yes.

You can manually set the TV to do a more comprehensive compensation cycle which takes an hour (you can also have the TV do this when it turns off), though LG engineers have stated this type of cycle is meant to be done after hundreds of hours of use and not regularly as it may shorten the life of the television. There was a pretty lengthy post about it on AVS. I ran the full compensation cycle once when I got the set out of the box to clear up some vignetting issues but I haven't had the need to run it again.

If you have some type of picture issue that necessitates it, go ahead but I wouldn't recommend running the manual cycle on a regular basis. There shouldn't be a need.

Yeah I'm aware of those things :)

I simply thought for some reason that there was a much less significant compensation cycle that happened automatically EVERY time you powered down the set, regardless of how long it had been on. Nothing to turn off or on in settings. Just something the set was set to do from the factory. Nothing near the scale of the manual or even 4 hour copensation cycles.

And yeah I have not run the manual compensation cycle for the reasons you stated, and because I haven't deemed it to be necessary yet, but I'm aware there are others that have ran it multiple times upon receiving their set.

Sky87

C6 has 3D and a better processor as well, and also lower input lag on SDR content and maybe HDR content even after the update.

So the B6 isn't getting any further improvements in regards to input lag? I thought 3D was dead (certainly is for gaming at least).

LG 65UH8500 HDR Game is darker than HDR Standard kind of in the ball park of HDR Bright. HDR Vivid is Beautiful, this is based on NBA 2K17. The only other game I've tried HDR Game is Infamous and it was dark there as well, and then I remember to go to options and turn up the brightness and it really looks good, there is no HDR adjustment in NBA 2K17 you get what they give you.

yoplay

Hey rtings.com

I know u r lurking in this thread. Sup with that games mode picture settings? Hook us up when u get the chance.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So the B6 isn't getting any further improvements in regards to input lag? I thought 3D was dead (certainly is for gaming at least).

3D is basically dead, but it is awesome on the OLEDs.

B6 will get an input lag update for HDR soonish, but it's regular input lag trails the C/E/G so it's a little assumed the HDR will too.

Remains to be seen

I cannot stress how amazing the 3D is on these OLED's... It's the only TV that I actually enjoy watching 3D movies on.

And yeah, what jstevenson said about lag.

3D is basically dead, but it is awesome on the OLEDs.

B6 will get an input lag update for HDR soonish, but it's regular input lag trails the C/E/G so it's a little assumed the HDR will too.

Remains to be seen

Ugh.. I'm really, really tempted to change my Samsung K9000 order to an LG OLED due to this patch... It's just that I've been so used to sub 20ms input lag on my Sony W900... I know that 34/36ms is still good but damn it is a big deal to me.
Plus I heard the motion resolution on OLD is actually quite average?

Ugh.. I'm really, really tempted to change my Samsung K9000 order to an LG OLED due to this patch... It's just that I've been so used to sub 20ms input lag on my Sony W900... I know that 34/36ms is still good but damn it is a big deal to me.

Trust me when I say that the massive benefits of OLED far outweigh the two points you just mentioned, especially if you do anything else on your TV other than play games.

Trust me when I say that the massive benefits of OLED far outweigh the two points you just mentioned, especially if you do anything else on your TV other than play games.

OK, one more question then that I'm hoping someone can answer. :p
I know the E6 is VESA mount compatible, but looking at pictures the screw holes are really low, and I'm worried about my current bracket poking out from the bottom of the TV. Anyone able to give any first hand impressions regarding that?

x3sphere

Do you use LED Clear Motion or Auto Motion Plus on your K9000? If not the motion res is the same as it is on OLED.

I don't know how well the Clear Motion stuff works with HDR, since it significantly dims brightness as well.

Do you use LED Clear Motion or Auto Motion Plus on your K9000? If not the motion res is the same as it is on OLED.

I don't know how well the Clear Motion stuff works with HDR, since it significantly dims brightness as well.

I don't have the 9000 yet. On my Sony 1080p TV I do use clear mode, simply because it ups the motion resolution to 1080p with no perceivable Soap Opera Effect. Although based on the rtings review the LG had little to no motion blur, which would probably help mitigate the lesser motion resolution. However during gaming I never, never, ever use motion compensation. That shit is the devil for gaming. Other reasons I'm leaning towards the LG is that it supports Dolby Vision, which will also potentially be compatible with the OPPO UHD player I'm planning on buying.

Weevilone

I cannot stress how amazing the 3D is on these OLED's... It's the only TV that I actually enjoy watching 3D movies on.

And yeah, what jstevenson said about lag.

I'm eating words now. My wife always wanted to watch 3D and I hated it. It's amazing on the OLED sets.

SOLDIER

Speaking of 3D, it turns out it also shares its own preset settings, so I'd like to ask what the recommended settings for 3D content would be (if they're different to what's already been recommended). Do you also get HDR through 3D as well?

In any case I fired up the latest Death Stranding trailer in 3D. Looks pretty goddamn amazing. Makes me wonder how actual 3D movies look.

Speaking of 3D, it turns out it also shares its own preset settings, so I'd like to ask what the recommended settings for 3D content would be (if they're different to what's already been recommended). Do you also get HDR through 3D as well?

In any case I fired up the latest Death Stranding trailer in 3D. Looks pretty goddamn amazing. Makes me wonder how actual 3D movies look.

There's no HDR 3D content as far as I know.

You need to see actual 3D content, it blows away the 2D to 3D conversion.

And there is no 3D HDR content, unfortunately.

SOLDIER

You need to see actual 3D content, it blows away the 2D to 3D conversion.

And there is no 3D HDR content, unfortunately.

Good thing I happen to have some 3D movies to test out :)

Question stands, though: is there a recommended preset for 3D movies, or just stick to the same settings suggested earlier?

Also, does the Xbox One have a setting similar to the PS4's RGB setting that I should set for the black levels?

I just bought myself a 65 Inch E6. Should be delivered later this week. Just watching the set in person just made me not care about any small shortcomings. I was just really worried about the edge LED of the Samsung. If it was a FALD set I probably would have stuck with LCD.

I have the strangest feeling right now. I don't regret what I've done, yet I still hate myself for it. :p

SOLDIER

I just bought myself a 65 Inch E6. Should be delivered later this week. Just watching the set in person just made me not care about any small shortcomings. I was just really worried about the edge LED of the Samsung. If it was a FALD set I probably would have stuck with LCD.

I have the strangest feeling right now. I don't regret what I've done, yet I still hate myself for it. :p

Look on the bright side, you probably won't find it unsatisfying, buy another TV when you couldn't just return the original, and then decide at the last minute you liked the first TV after all.

Good thing I happen to have some 3D movies to test out :)

Question stands, though: is there a recommended preset for 3D movies, or just stick to the same settings suggested earlier?

Also, does the Xbox One have a setting similar to the PS4's RGB setting that I should set for the black levels?

Unsure about 3D settings, but the Xbox does have a black level setting.

Decado

What has the lowest price for the lg 65c6 been so far? In Canada, but will keep an eye out for that price poubt on b&h.

Deepo

55" C6 bought! Was only about €100 more than the B6, and the curve is ideal for my setup. Now to badger LG Europe endlessly until they release the firmware over here.

Ricker

LG,Samsung and Sony are the 3 brands I will closely look at during 2017.I currently have a 1080p 55 inch Sony,its around 4 years old I think now and still looks great(its a 120mhz set).The input lag will be important though so I am eager to hear if this LG fix will work well and how easy it is to install...firmware on a USB I guess,I could do that for my current set but I am to damn scared it will mess something up lol...

I just ordered the OLED65E6P from East Coast TV's for $2,515.66 with free shipping. What have I done GAF!?

I hope you actually get your TV! Not heard great things about this store... There's actually a slew of NJ based "businesses" that you should be very wary of when buying a TV.

Edit: If you decide to go with purchasing elsewhere, I can recommend Cleveland Plasma (which was recommended to me on AVS Forum), I paid $2500 for my 65C6P and received it within 2 days.

Also thinking about getting rid of my KS8000 (as it has a few problems) and maybe getting the B6. See it in Best Buy the other day and my jaw dropped, I can only imagine how beautiful games must look on it.

Afrikan

I own a W900a and LG C6. I don't think you'll notice a difference lag wise.

I've been playing Madden Online (on both TVs) and COD Remastered (C6).

julrik

55" C6 bought! Was only about €100 more than the B6, and the curve is ideal for my setup. Now to badger LG Europe endlessly until they release the firmware over here.
Congrats, my fellow Norwegian! You could've gotten the E6 for €100 more on Black Friday (I did, and it's amazing), but it's essentially the same TV (if you don't mind the curve and have no need for a soundbar). You will not regret it - the PQ is stunning!

I just ordered the OLED65E6P from East Coast TV's for $2,515.66 with free shipping. What have I done GAF!?

I'd cancel that ASAP as noted. Bait and switch scam artists there judging by reviews.

Consider the Cleveland Plasma seconded. I bought my VT50 from them years ago and they are reputable and very good.

Top Bottom