• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
The NX better be a damn handheld then.

Nintendo, stop self-destructing pls.

I need my graphically cutting-edge Zelda, Metroid and F-Zero games.

Eolz

Eh I don't really think it's happening but that was on Verendus list of crazy predictions and people seemed to really take his word. I dont see it happening personally.

I don't remember Verendus' list talking about regular MonHun getting on PS4. His lists are usually vague enough that he just meant the MonHun IP, and thus, Frontier 2.

Nibel

Narrowing your field of vision in Mario Kart by including racer info of 12 players on the left, and a map on the right. Yeah that is possible but not viable.

We live in the age of HD screens though, and as someone who works on stuff in his free time you can put a ton of information on a 1920x1080 space without intereferring with the game.

BTW, even F-Zero GX did this on a 4:3 aspect ratio and that game - which requires more skill than Mario Kart - was perfectly playable on one screen.

F-Zero_GX_-_Lightning_Loop_Cross_track.jpg

Delio

ah I hadn't heard of that. seems like a good pr move for sony, but maybe a difficult choice for capcom.

Yeah they would be cutting off their bread and butter for a chance of worldwide success. Who knows if that would happen.

I don't remember Verendus' list talking about regular MonHun getting on PS4. His lists are usually vague enough that he just meant the MonHun IP, and thus, Frontier 2.

Ah If it's Frontier then that makes sense.

Hermii

We live in the age of HD screens though, and as someone who works on stuff in his free time you can put a ton of information on a 1920x1080 space without intereferring with the game.

BTW, even F-Zero GX did this on a 4:3 aspect ratio and that game - which requires more skill than Mario Kart - was perfectly playable on one screen.

Off course its possible, but it would look much cooler with just the game on the screen.

Oppo

bad example IMO. that overlay definitely wouldn't fly today. way too huge and dumb. we just ha to put up with it back then due to power and rez. it was perfectly playable the way a Vita is playable in sunlight: it was, but hardly ideal ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It'll be another Nintendo-only console. Fine, but it better not cost more than $199.

Exactly this is what could work in their favour. If they manage to hit the impulse buying price for a console that has Zelda, SSB, MK, Mario, Pokémon, Splatoon etc and on top of that some 3rd parties (mh, yokai, whatever koei) they could have a successful hardware. In a world of consoles being more and more like underpowered PCs there is a place for something different if the price is right. Even as a second gaming device.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If true i don't get it, what's the point of a new home console if it won't even reach the ps4 power in 2016/7, it would be in a even worse situation than the wiiu... if instead it's a handheld... 3ds is doing decently so i don't see the point of a new handheld, even because it's obvious that the handheld market is in decline. If it's both... i dunno, i would probably like the idea(imo already vita should have been a hybrid, i was hoping for that, after all the psp had a tv out) but i dunno how successful it would be.

Nintendo still hopes to repeat the success of the wii but casuals are on mobile, they like the comfort of playing games on the smartphone, hardcore gamers are the ones on console and handhelds, nintendo should to aim at them imo.

Shin-Ra

Not really. The highest end 3DS games are easily comparable. Monster Hunter 4 is visually superior to Tri.

Portable games tend to be low budget so the average 3DS doesn't show it's potential at all.
Nothing on 3DS comes close to the likes of Starfox Adventures, Rogue Leader or Metroid Prime.

Scum

so all that stuff i have been saying about the NX being a way to recoup losses on the wii u project seems to be kind of on the money. man, people will be angry when they find out the handheld is probably wii u levels and the home variant may be only slightly better at best. if the project works out for them though, they can actually have more freedom when it comes to hardware and upgrades.

I think it will work out for them. It solves one of NCL's most crap ass problems - software output/schedules for their console and handheld. And it seems you're right on the money with what to expect.

Think about the Sony offerings on PS1 and 2 (Cardinal Syn! Fantavision! Extermination!) or the Microsoft offerings on the first Xbox (outside of Halo) or towards the end of the life of the 360.

And how much effect did Killzone Shadowfall or Knack have on PS4's success really?

I don't think first party matters much at all in console success. In terms of importance, they are hardly more important than third party games... though they have the benefit of being automatically exclusive.

Nintendo wouldn't have to change... they're already at the top of the first party game.

They'd have to get into the business of moneyhatting exclusives, though..

I think that's purely subjective to modern gamers though. Nintendo games are not everyone's cup of tea much like JRPG's do not appeal to everyone. If I was Nintendo, I would make third parties a secondary focus and concentrate on building a much larger and even more talented first party essentially meaning that they still release quality games at a faster rate. With that, the inevitable lack of third party support won't be near as noticeable.

Also, paying for major exclusives would be useless for Nintendo since most Nintendo owners do not particularly care for the majority of third party games and Nintendo probably wouldn't want to lose millions of dollars on games that are not selling on their console. Your average gamer will not buy a Nintendo system for games like COD, Tekken, Skyrim, GTA6 and WatchDogs 2, especially if it is lacking in horsepower, a competent online infrastructure and other features. I cannot comment on third party sales on 3DS, but I would venture to guess that they still don't hold a candle to first party games sales.

Also, I am confused as to why Nintendo is prematurely killing the Wii U for the NX which most people are assuming is a portable system. Why would those console owners rush out a buy a portable to replace their console unless it has some type of console functionality or something relatively similar. Not to mention, it sounds like it won't be much more powerful than the Wii U and coming out 3 years later probably will not sit well with Wii U owners.

DieH@rd

Banned
Seems like they learned nothing from wii U.

Suposedly, this time they will learn how to more easily port games from portable to home console, and other way around. They are doubling down on Nintendo-produced software it seems.

So there is that. They are doubling down on portable-ports on home console. :D

AniHawk

Well they seemed to have snatched DQ so I guess it isn't that unlikely. Pretty much says everything about how shit Nintendo's third party relations are.
maybe. square enix didn't do a third dqm remake, but they did poet x and are porting viii. not sure if dqh counts as Sony gaining exclusivity or square enix preparing the platform for a dq as well, since it's possible dqxi could be multiplatform.

regarding monhun, nintendo has supported that series rather well, especially helping it grow in the west more than sony ever did. it seems less likely that they support the platform with two higher end spinoffs and then drop support after that. the series could simply be going multiplatform like it was last gen.

Suposedly, this time they will learn how to more easily port games from portable to home console, and other way around. They are doubling down on Nintendo-produced software it seems.

So there is that.

So basically what Japanese companies are doing with all the PSVITA/PS3/PS4 releases without any problems.

Not sure why one could need "special" hardware for this goal.

Ansatz

I prefer this setup, of course without the main-screen map.

bad example IMO. that overlay definitely wouldn't fly today. way too huge and dumb. we just ha to put up with it back then due to power and rez. it was perfectly playable the way a Vita is playable in sunlight: it was, but hardly ideal ;)

Yeah you can see that in modern AAA games too which only use one screen, how they invent mechanics like filling up the screen with blood as an indication of taking damage, to remove simple things like health bars. The UI has to be clean.

Rosur

I hope they don't do this as I won't be buying this if its the case and think its the wrong move by Nintendo considering how the Ouya turned out plus I believe this market more competitive than the full console market as stuff like Amazon Fire TV, Nvida's Sheild Console, Roku and PSVita TV etc is in there...

Nibel

Off course its possible, but it would look much cooler with just the game on the screen.

Sure, but you see where 'being cool' has led the Wii U to.

Well of course it wouldn't fly today since we have an entriely different aspect ratio to work with; this was over a decade ago. You are completely missing my point here.

Zoon

It makes me think that the first NX product could be basically a WiiU without the gamepad and different architecture/OS that could be sold around 100-150$.Or a handheld.

jdmonmou

The thing is, third parties wouldn't bother even if it was on par. The audience isn't there. It'd be a waste of time and money unless they create bespoke titles for the Nintendo audience. And why bother spending time and money doing this when they can develop one title across 2-3 other platforms?

I think the NX could sell well if priced well below the competition (~$200) and if they had 2-3 exclusive games on launch. It would be a huge win if one of those launch games was a 3rd party exclusive. If the NX is similar in architecture and performance to the Xbox and PS4 then porting to the NX would be a no brainer since the sales would more than make up for the cost to port.

Frog-fu

Banned
These guys coulda brokered a deal with AMD to become the first 4K ready console at an affordable price. Super Mario 4, Zelda 4K, Metroid 4K - need I say more? Of course I'm assuming the console wouldn't launch for another 2 years.

virtualS

Brain dead if true.

We already have mobile phones.

Consolised Android devices fail.

Wii U failed because it could not compete on a power level therefore killing third party support.

For NX to have any chance of survival it has to compete with two year consoles from Microsoft and Sony and also have a very similar architecture. This is the only way that third parties will bother developing for it. x86, 8 core, AMD. This far out it should EASILY best both competitors for a reasonable price.

We already have WiiU for anything low powered or indie.

However If NX is simply a portable Wii U then fine, it'll be an awesome handheld.

scitek

I don't know why they'd be talking about how tablets killed the Wii U and contemplating an Android-like machine at the same time since the same thing would likely happen.

Seanspeed

Banned
The thing is, third parties wouldn't bother even if it was on par. The audience isn't there. It'd be a waste of time and money unless they create bespoke titles for the Nintendo audience
I don't understand why people think this. There is not some clear divide between Nintendo fans and 'other gamers'. Tons of people love games of all kinds, including Nintendo games.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Exactly. An affordable platform with almost all of Nintendos new releases on it. No more split between two hardware iterations. So what does this mean? It means Nintendo can support its own hardware without software droughts. Thats the main focus behind NX. Creating a platform like iOS where the library is only expanding and not reset to zero every few years.

Power slightly less than xbox one levels I presume. Nintendo are aiming cheap. Unifying platforms and getting mobile into it.

They are aiming for impulse buy price range $199 or less. Core gamers can purchase at cheap price as secondary console without having to pay too much and casuals/parents will have the lure of mobile/indie scene to provide cheap alternative.

That actually sounds great and makes a lot of sense for them and their usual business plan. I will be buying whatever platform the next Zelda comes out on, new or used I haven't decided yet though. But I still fail to see, no matter the price, how they hope to sell 20 million units in the first year on the market. They don't have Apple's loyalists or their brand power.

Caramello

Why is this shocking in any way? Why would you want games like GTA and CoD on NX when you can get them on PS4 and XB1? It makes sense for Nintendo to put out cheaper hardware that complements those systems.

Oppo

Sure, but you see where 'being cool' has led the Wii U to.

Well of course it wouldn't fly today since we have an entriely different aspect ratio to work with; this was over a decade ago. You are completely missing my point here.

actually I hit post too fast and nuked my last graph; sorry about that. I agree they should go back to a single screen. I just didn't think F0 was a great example why. ;)

Mar Nosso

Banned
I think the NX could sell well if priced well below the competition (~$200) and if they had 2-3 exclusive games on launch. It would be a huge win if one of those launch games was a 3rd party exclusive. If the NX is similar in architecture and performance to the Xbox and PS4 then porting to the NX would be a no brainer since the sales would more than make up for the cost to port.

PS4 in all likelihood will be $299 or less by the time the NX comes out. Price isn't likely to be an enormous advantage by then. They must have a surprise up their sleeve.

I expected this. I'm thinking 'Android console'-level device. Cheap and easy to develop for.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. It's then "integrated" with the 3DS successor and there we have that hybrid system. Kinda like what Sony wanted with Vita and PS4.

Nintendo doesn't need a powerhouse console with their games lineup. They need something cheap, so cheap that people can afford to impulse buy it when the next Metroid or Zelda or Mario is released.

Huff

Banned
Well they can't compete with sony and ms. 3rds won't come back. They really need a cohesive strategy besides heres another Nintendo machine with Mario games.

Eolz

It makes me think that the first NX product could be basically a WiiU without the gamepad and different architecture/OS that could be sold around 100-150$.Or a handheld.

Some people really want that WiiU at 100$ without a gamepad uh

Oregano

maybe. square enix didn't do a third dqm remake, but they did poet x and are porting viii. not sure if dqh counts as Sony gaining exclusivity or square enix preparing the platform for a dq as well, since it's possible dqxi could be multiplatform.

regarding monhun, nintendo has supported that series rather well, especially helping it grow in the west more than sony ever did. it seems less likely that they support the platform with two higher end spinoffs and then drop support after that. the series could simply be going multiplatform like it was last gen.

There was supposed to be a brand new DQM game, teased years ago, which has become vapourware. I think even with SE's new focus they simply couldn't afford to completely ignore the 3DS in Japan.

I bet DQVII and DQVIII remakes are being remastered for PS4 alongside DQV PS2 and localised.

Neff

Wii U rebranding confirmed.

People here saying that Nintendo is lame, backwards and can go into oblivion unless NX is portable.

But what if NX is portable? I mean, 3DS was made in 2011, when Wii was stills supported. It has a fair share of bottlenecks that Nintendo cannot overcome even with New 3DS (screen resolution is the main one).

I've always assumed NX was a portable from the moment Iwata first mentioned it, or more likely a 3rd pillar portable experiment in the vein of the original DS. If it's a portable Wii U with a new hook, that'd fit the facts we have, and the timing, not to mention being a fairly solid idea and an opportune chance to cash in on some great, under-appreciated software.

Mega Drive/Genesis was more powerful than SNES, failed

What the fuck

NX should be Wii U power built inside a smaller version of the gamepad (3DS replacement), sold with TV Dock and a Pro Controller to plug it into TV (Wii U replacement).

Hybrid console. Let's do it!

None of this would surprise me, and it sounds pretty good. I imagine they'll enable picture-in-picture or a switch for games that need both screens.

Doesn't bother me even a little bit. I'd rather Nintendo keep on focusing on games and innovation over cutting-edge graphics.

Most Wii U titles look gorgeous to me and much more than good enough. The best PS4 titles look incredible, granted, but the best Wii U visuals look perfectly nice next to them.

Why is this shocking in any way? Why would you want games like GTA and CoD on NX when you can get them on PS4 and XB1? It makes sense for Nintendo to put out cheaper hardware that complements those systems.

Because I am primarily a nintendo fan who can live without sonys first party support. Its he third party stuff i cant give up. If there was ever a ninty console powerful enough to get third party support it would be the only console id have for the majority of that generation.

Edit: I do like EatChildrens explaination of events though: Sony and Micro are doubling down on a proven approach and thats fine. Nintendo is searching for that Apple money and trying to carve out their own niche. They are trying to give us something that we dint even know that we want yet. And hell-apple products usually arent even the most powerful device when they firdt drop either.

I just hope the damn thing has third party support that i wanna play but if its too low power i dont see how that happens.

skylanders and lego games are 3rd party

Haha, that's what I was thinking. These days, Skylanders and LEGO ARE major third party support for Nintendo.

So far it sounds like im out then. I know ninty has to to whsts best for them but all i want is a powerful console with third party support.

Doesn't sound like you want a Nintendo console at all then. Even if they made the powerful console you want so much, they're still not going to get much third party support.

Personally, what I want from Nintendo is to embrace the "second console" market, by ensuring their next console is as cheap as possible. If they managed to create an Android-like environment where the handheld and console were interchangeable, then I'd be even more interested.

He said there's more than one MonHun game coming to PS4 and I doubt he'd even bother mentioning it if it were just Frontier. I don't know why anyone would doubt his leaks at this point.

A $300-$350 system is closer to the Wii U. If the console failed because surprise, a high powered console doesn't fix their 3rd party problem, or consumers don't want to pay a high entry to Nintendos content...

A PS4 like system is a much bigger risk. Nintendo being locked into another high priced console w/ no room to slash, is exactly like the Wii U situation.

PS4 will be $300-350 by the time NX launches. They need to be priced even lower than that to compete even just on a value proposition level.

Rodin

I can be ok with this, but really depends on what he means. Not having a console on par with/more powerful than PS4 is not a big deal for me, but not having an hardware able to fully support every engine on the market would be a bad, bad idea (and might i add, this thing probably comes out in 2017, not being able to reach 1080p easily would be stupid). Because if it is successful and third parties want to port some games, the console will not be able to run them properly without having to heavily rework stuff so they won't even bother. Hoped they learned their lesson with the Wii U, but...

This was expected. They're clearly not looking to compete with software diversity either because there goes all hopes of any 3rd party support. Not that there was much anyway.

Pandy

Weird argument since it's mostly used for maps, display UI info and menu navigation.

It would be stupid of them to change a winning formula, and that is the clamshell design. And with that I think it makes sense to have a second screen.

I personally wouldn't want to go back to a Mario Kart that doesn't let you see what items the other racers are carrying in real time. It adds a new dimension to strategy. Or constantly pausing the game to bring up the map in Zelda.
This.
There are a large number of games that would have the play experience markedly improved by using a second screen just for map or UI. It really annoys me when people say that it's 'just for map/UI' and then I have to suffer through another shitty pause-screen inventory system, or worse, I have to negotiate the menus in GTA Online in the middle of a car chase while the game won't let me pause. Having a second-touchscreen in the device/controller has the potential to improve every game which involves accessing in-game menus, which is a huge number of popular games. We just don't see much of it due to the lack of multi-platform titles.

I had hoped that the PS4 touchpad would be some sort of middle-ground, but the implimentation of that in games has been simply abysmal so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom