• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmonmou

PS4 in all likelihood will be $299 or less by the time the NX comes out. Price isn't likely to be an enormous advantage by then. They must have a surprise up their sleeve.

I hope the surprise is game streaming. Imagine if you could play NX games remotely on your mobile device or 3DS. I think that would be huge. But then again, Microsoft may already have them beat with game streaming in Windows 10. Whatever surprise they have, I hope it's successful this time around.

Ridiculous. The PS4 was built on profitable budget hardware at launch nearly two years ago. There's absolutely no reason to not at least match the PS4 in 2016, and still sell it at a reasonable price and be profitable. Unless they pull a Wii U (or launch era Xbox One) again and tack on another expensive gimmick that drives the price up to an unreasonable point.

AniHawk

There was supposed to be a brand new DQM game, teased years ago, which has become vapourware. I think even with SE's new focus they simply couldn't afford to completely ignore the 3DS in Japan.

I bet DQVII and DQVIII remakes are being remastered for PS4 alongside DQV PS2 and localised.
are you basing this on ps4 owners' desire for games with ps2 era graphics?

thefro

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617283185819394048

Tamaki
‏@Doctor_Cupcakes
I will make a video, elaborating on where this NX thing came from. It's not just a guess, I didn't just make it up. There are valid sources.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617283784870916097

Tamaki
‏@Doctor_Cupcakes
I don't know what the NX is because it is a closely guarded secret, but this will give context to what I said and offer a bit more insight.

Ridiculous. The PS4 was built on profitable budget hardware at launch nearly two years ago. There's absolutely no reason to not at least match the PS4 in 2016, and still sell it at a reasonable price and be profitable. Unless they pull a Wii U (or launch era Xbox One) again and tack on another expensive gimmick that drives the price up to an unreasonable point.

Was the PS4 profitable at launch or did it require the purchase of a game? Also, the leap from ps3 to ps4 was much smaller than ps2 to ps3. Everyone took a power backseat this gen. There were no bleeding edge consoles. I expect to see that trend contiue.

Jigorath

Banned
Hey they're taking my advice.

They need to figure out a way to push NX as a "secondary" console. Make it cheap, make it profitable, and load it with a steady stream of unique Nintendo software you can't get anywhere else. It won't be market leader, might not even be second place, but at least it'll be successful.

PS4 also has a better online infrastracture than Nintendo, an online subscription service that Nintendo hasn't and full third-party support that Nintendo hasn't since the Gamecube era.

Not even comparable.

If the NX is a console and it doesn't match the PS4 in terms of power, then what is the point of it existing?

Developers are pulling away from the last gen consoles and moving towards the PS4/XB1/PC solely, why would they add a weaker console into the mix? At least on a power level and similar architecture it would make sense to make a cheap port and provide that support, especially on a scalable engine.

Is it just Nintendo being contrarian again?

Eolz

He said there's more than one MonHun game coming to PS4 and I doubt he'd even bother mentioning it if it were just Frontier. I don't know why anyone would doubt his leaks at this point.

Well, let's see what it is then. Can avatar bet for a year if it's a mainline title if you want, pretty sure it won't be one
and just in case, no, the Portable line wasn't mainline

lol. So we'll get just really vague stuff to damage control?

AniHawk

PS4 also has a better online infrastracture than Nintendo, an online subscription service that Nintendo hasn't and full third-party support that Nintendo hasn't since the Gamecube era.

Not even comparable.
nintendo had way better support last gen over the gamecube era.

Oregano

are you basing this on ps4 owners' desire for games with ps2 era graphics?

Nah just on Square Enix's complete disregard for anyone who doesn't own a PS4 in the west. That and stuff like their comments about people wanting the DQVII remake and hints from Weekly Jump and Verendus.

We seem to be looking at a portable device with a cradle that outputs to HDTVs when it's at home, don't we?

- A single game library with two different screen form factors.
- An OS that organises differently depending on how it's plugged in.
- The cradle will have a disc drive and a HDMI output but nothing else.
- The portable (NX) is a GBA style affair, or even DS with heaps of power.
- Put it in the cradle and the same games get reformatted for 1080p.

Hey they're taking my advice.

I dont think they want to be the second console that people keep trying to box em into. I believe nintendo smelled blood in the water with the ds and wii and want that blue ocean money/apple type money.

Both of those devices were market leaders and hugely profitable. Every other nintendo console sans the nes and snes could have been seen as the "second console" which I am sure nintendo does not want. They arent content with being a n64, cube, or wiiu anymore.

Well, let's see what it is then. Can avatar bet for a year if it's a mainline title if you want, pretty sure it won't be one
and just in case, no, the Portable line wasn't mainline

Why would I avatar bet? I don't care about Monster Hunter, I'm just reiterating what Verendus said and pointing out that only a fool would doubt his leaks at this point. It's going to happen, get over it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
He said there's more than one MonHun game coming to PS4 and I doubt he'd even bother mentioning it if it were just Frontier. I don't know why anyone would doubt his leaks at this point.
It's hard to believe because they'd be losing the portable audience that's so important to MH in Japan. NX seems like such an obvious choice, if it's the cross-system platform we think it is.

Kuni

Well this isn't surprising unless we get a major change of direction from Ninty.

I just hope it's good enough. They need a console that Acti can look at and go "yeah we'll put CoD on that, doesn't seem like a huge amount of work".

Give me Galaxy level graphics at 1080p and you'll have my interest.

It's hard to believe because they'd be losing the portable audience that's so important to MH in Japan. NX seems like such an obvious choice, if it's the cross-system platform we think it is.

I doubt they're moving the entire franchise back to consoles, I think it'd be more along the lines of a MH4 port.

Ansatz

NX should be Wii U power built inside a smaller version of the gamepad (3DS replacement), sold with TV Dock and a Pro Controller to plug it into TV (Wii U replacement).

Hybrid console. Let's do it!

The hybrid concept is a bad idea. It puts restrictions on what the handheld can be and kills the possibility of doubble dipping. I would buy the two different hardware SKUs if they shared save files like PS4/PSV.

Eolz

Why would I avatar bet? I don't care about Monster Hunter, I'm just reiterating what Verendus said and pointing out that only a fool would doubt his leaks at this point. It's going to happen, get over it.

And I don't doubt Verendus leaks. Just that he never talked about mainline MonHun, which is what people want.
Capcom has currently no interest going back to Sony, to work on a more expensive MonHun, even with a similar deal than what they have with Nintendo, especially when japanese players want to play it on an handheld. And since there's no Vita successor, there's more MonHun spinoffs than ever, and Frontier 2 is in development already, it's not hard to see it'll be another spinoff on PS4 (if they get one).

AniHawk

Nah just on Square Enix's complete disregard for anyone who doesn't own a PS4 in the west. That and stuff like their comments about people wanting the DQVII remake and hints from Weekly Jump and Verendus.
i kinda would prefer quotes and the like instead of just references to people saying things. i had to lookup what verendus said about monhun and it was more about bringing more of the series to the ps4 and not so much in the way of moving the series over wholesale.

Zombine

Banned
This would make a lot of sense to me if its just a beefed up version of the 3DS with a stick to stream the games to your TV.

We seem to be looking at a portable device with a cradle that outputs to HDTVs when it's at home, don't we?

- A single game library with two different screen form factors.
- An OS that organises differently depending on how it's plugged in.
- The cradle will have a disc drive and a HDMI output but nothing else.
- The portable (NX) is a GBA style affair, or even DS with heaps of power.
- Put it in the cradle and the same games get reformatted for 1080p.

Why on Earth would they do that? It makes the whole thing more expensive, more complex and it limits their flexibility in different markets.

I'm betting on NX being a family of systems based around a common architecture, with a shared dev environment and software ecosystem, cross-platform accounts etc. - think iPhone/iPad/iOS or the Android setup. The device being referred to as "NX" right now will be the first form factor released, likely a handheld of some type, and it will hit some time toward the end of 2016. A more powerful home form factor will hit in 2017, replacing Wii U. From then on, Nintendo will be releasing software that runs on both, scaling appropriately, with the occasional title perhaps built for one form or another. As tech improves and component prices drop, they can release more powerful incremental upgrades (again, think the iPhone/Android phone model here) which maintain full backward-compatibility, even if forward-compatibility remains limited.

It lets them target different markets with different hardware - Japan may favour the handheld NX more than home NX, the US may be the reverse - while not having to support two different lines of software development. It also lets them release more regular hardware revisions and upgrades and breaks them out of the current console model.

Well this isn't surprising unless we get a major change of direction from Ninty.

I just hope it's good enough. They need a console that Acti can look at and go "yeah we'll put CoD on that, doesn't seem like a huge amount of work".

Give me Galaxy level graphics at 1080p and you'll have my interest.

Exactly. Just good enough for third parties is what i want.

Scum

Why on Earth would they do that? It makes the whole thing more expensive, more complex and it limits their flexibility in different markets.

I'm betting on NX being a family of systems based around a common architecture, with a shared dev environment and software ecosystem, cross-platform accounts etc. - think iPhone/iPad/iOS or the Android setup. The device being referred to as "NX" right now will be the first form factor released, likely a handheld of some type, and it will hit some time toward the end of 2016. A more powerful home form factor will hit in 2017, replacing Wii U. From then on, Nintendo will be releasing software that runs on both, scaling appropriately, with the occasional title perhaps built for one form or another. As tech improves and component prices drop, they can release more powerful incremental upgrades (again, think the iPhone/Android phone model here) which maintain full backward-compatibility, even if forward-compatibility remains limited.

It lets them target different markets with different hardware - Japan may favour the handheld NX more than home NX, the US may be the reverse - while not having to support two different lines of software development. It also lets them release more regular hardware revisions and upgrades and breaks them out of the current console model.
Cosmo gets it.

Oregano

i kinda would.prefer quotes and the like instead of just references to people saying things. I had to lookup what verendus said about monhun and it was more about bringing more of the series to the ps4 and not so much in the way of moving the series over wholesale.

I can't remember the exact wording(and I'm on mobile at the moment) but he said an older Dragon Quest was being remastered but he wasn't sure which one. Weekly Jump said they will have a big announcement next week and referenced DQV. Horii said implied that remaster(s) were coming when asked about big remakes ala FFVII.

Ichimura a while back said they were looking at ways to bring DQVII over.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well, that's not what I wanted to hear.

Games locked behind amiibos

DLC locked behind amiibos

Dashboard skins locked behind amiibos

Think of the possibilities.

So this could be Nintendo's Dreamcast then? I don't want them to leave the market but this time they don't have the GameBoy to keep them going like they did when both the N64 and GameCube failed to meet expectations. With the WiiU and 3DS both doing poorly if the NX also flops, what is Nintendo going to do?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'll be interesting to see what space it will compete in. Or maybe it will create a new space for itself much as the Wii did?

Whatever it is, I think it's only going to frustrate people to expect Nintendo will launch a home console that aims to compete in the 'traditional' or mainstay home console arena - roughly what we might consider the space PS and Xbox have catered to over the last 3 generations. It's arguably coming up on 15 years since Nintendo attempted such a play... Maybe it's time to let go of the idea that that business is on their radar.

And I don't doubt Verendus leaks. Just that he never talked about mainline MonHun, which is what people want.
Capcom has currently no interest going back to Sony, to work on a more expensive MonHun, even with a similar deal than what they have with Nintendo, especially when japanese players want to play it on an handheld. And since there's no Vita successor, there's more MonHun spinoffs than ever, and Frontier 2 is in development already, it's not hard to see it'll be another spinoff on PS4 (if they get one).

The same Capcom who are working on three PS4 exclusives right now? And I'm not sure where you got the idea it'd be more expensive. Everything Verendus said (it won't be a massive effort, they're fitting in what exists) made it sound like it'd be a MH4 port.

Oppo

Cosmo gets it.

the thing about apeing the phones is, they actually have kind of bad backwards compatibility. games get dropped all the time when new OS updates and phones come out. even that new Fallout Shelter game needs a fairly modern device to play smoothly. wouldn't want to see Nintendo copy that aspect.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Handheld obvs, but it better be like 2x Vita level or I'd rather Nintendo stopped making hardware because what's the point in it at that point.

AniHawk

I can't remember the exact wording(and I'm on mobile at the moment) but he said an older Dragon Quest was being remastered but he wasn't sure which one. Weekly Jump said they will have a big announcement next week and referenced DQV. Horii said implied that remaster(s) were coming when asked about big remakes ala FFVII.

Ichimura a while back said they were looking at ways to bring DQVII over.
so really nothing that points to all three of the games you mentioned being made for ps4, but perhaps one of them.

Ansatz

Yeah this seems to be the concensus. They could also sell the gamepad 2.0 as an optional accessory for the home console version which gives you access to handheld features like dual / touch screen. I'm pretty sure NX will be based around a second screen, just think about Splatoon and how it would work without the gamepad screen info or gyro aiming. They force you to use the gamepad as it is now on Wii U, you can't play online with the pro controller. Someone playing with a dual analog based controller that has to bring up the map on the main screen to utilize it would not be able to keep up competitively vs someone who is playing on "4DS."

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can see them charging £34.99 for android ports, but I'm not surprised Nintendo has been been spending as little as possible to Max profits for years.
I bet Sony has spent more on R&D for firmware then Nintendo has sent on both the Wii and Wii U combined.

AniHawk

Handheld obvs, but it better be like 2x Vita level or I'd rather Nintendo stopped making hardware because what's the point in it at that point.
yeah who needs creative freedom when it comes to making the games you want to make. no one wants good nintendo games anyway.

Breakage

Nintendo are crazy if they plan on using the low power/low power consumption philosophy again. They've been doing that since the GC days and need to move away from it.

Rodin

Yeah there is, and it's power consumption. Nintendo aimed at low power consumption again and since they'll most likely use 28nm, there's no way they can create a more powerful console than the 140W PS4 at the same node.

Scum

It'll be interesting to see what space it will compete in. Or maybe it will create a new space for itself much as the Wii did?

Whatever it is, I think it's only going to frustrate people to expect Nintendo will launch a home console that aims to compete in the 'traditional' or mainstay home console arena - roughly what we might consider the space PS and Xbox have catered to over the last 3 generations. It's arguably coming up on 15 years since Nintendo attempted such a play... Maybe it's time to let go of the idea that that business is on their radar.

It's going to piss goons like myself who like their fancy tech, but the common architecture, with a shared dev environment and software ecosystem way, makes a lot of fucking good sense for Nintendo to pursue. Let's face it, mate, anyone interested in AAA games isn't going to own a Nintendo console for them.

the thing about apeing the phones is, they actually have kind of bad backwards compatibility. games get dropped all the time when new OS updates and phones come out. even that new Fallout Shelter game needs a fairly modern device to play smoothly. wouldn't want to see Nintendo copy that aspect.
It's doesn't have to be yearly hardware refreshes like smartphones. Make it every ~3yrs.

"Oops, I guess I shouldn't have said something that's easily misinterpreted, gotta clean this mess up by making it even more vague."

But by this point, no one is listening because everyone has heard what they expected to hear, even if they didn't actually hear it.

Yeah, pretty much. It's not the first time I've seen this guy run with guesses as hard info.

Don't trust him at all really.

Now he's upset that NeoGAF are making threads about him. You can't just drop unconfirmed 'info' on a mysterious next gen console and expect nobody to pick up on it and pull apart what you said.

Sadist

This will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom