• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Played the first two episodes over the last two days.

Didn't realise it was even possible to save Kate until the choice percentages came up at the end. I was DEVASTATED. Seriously, I actually wailed like a little girl.

Man, I would straight-up restart if
Katie-Kate died. Srsly, when you're talking to her on the roof, talking about her Dad is the correct answer.

Tcab96

So, how many of us took an agonising amount of time to come to a decision in the first major choice in episode 4...?

Didn't really take me too long. Maybe five, ten minutes.

Considering I suspected I wouldn't actually be in that timeline for much longer, and figured it was Chloe's decision, I decided to help her.

Choomp

Banned
Didn't really take me too long. Maybe five, ten minutes.

Considering I suspected I wouldn't actually be in that timeline for much longer, and figured it was Chloe's decision, I decided to help her.

Even though I also suspected that we were leaving that timeline soon, I wasn't fully expecting Max to destroy that timeline completely. It's what I would have done in the situation but I wish the game either gave us the choice to destroy it or just let it exist, would have some more emotional impact in the long run.

Tcab96

Even though I also suspected that we were leaving that timeline soon, I wasn't fully expecting Max to destroy that timeline completely. It's what I would have done in the situation but I wish the game either gave us the choice to destroy it or just let it exist, would have some more emotional impact in the long run.

Was it really destroyed? I thought that the Max of each respective time line lives her life and acts as that Max would when the Max of another time line doesn't assume the other's consciousness. That time in each time line proceeds as usual.

So when the Max we know returns to her time line, the Max that either helped Chloe's kill herself or didn't wakes up to find an alive Chloe or dead one.

Really, this is all speculation. Hard to say one way or another.

Choomp

Banned
Was it really destroyed? I thought that the Max of each respective time line lives her life and acts as that Max would when the Max of another time line doesn't assume the other's consciousness. That time in each time line proceeds as usual.

So when the Max we know returns to her time line, the Max that either helped Chloe's kill herself or didn't wakes up to find an alive Chloe or dead one.

Really, this is all speculation. Hard to say one way or another.

Yeah that's how I think the timelines work as well. It was a theory of mine about Rachel Amber that'd she'd been brought to another timeline, but once it became evident that you can exist on them all simultaneously if you leave one I got rid of that idea. I just think that since Max burned the picture they took that day with William and made it so he didn't die, nothing would set up Chloe getting into her car accident, therefore that timeline wouldn't be there.

Man this game has given me a lot to think about. Game is a brilliant piece of art.

Choomp

Banned
Also, I feel so terrible about this. Sorry about the double post. When I can't go to sleep weird stuff happens

CMHD1tCUkAAH6PE.jpg:small

Karu

So, how many of us took an agonising amount of time to come to a decision in the first major choice in episode 4...?
I didn't make a decision right away. One of the decision where I did sit there and thought about it for a second, but as soon as the shock was over, I decided immediately that I wouldn't do it. It wasn't so much, that I wouldn't be against her dying on her own terms, but < I > simply didn't want to do it. No way in hell. Also... her dad.

I didn't make a decision right away. One of the decision where I did sit there and thought about it for a second, but as soon as the shock was over, I decided immediately that I wouldn't do it. It wasn't so much, that I wouldn't be against her dying on her own terms, but < I > simply didn't want to do it. No way in hell. Also... her dad.

What swayed my decision into
accepting her request for euthanasia
was when I found out that her
life was going to end anyway and when Chloe herself mentioned that her respiratory system was failing.
I strongly believe that if one is of sound mind and of adequate health and this topic is brought up, one should honor that request as I don't think anyone wants to die a painful and slow death.

Flame me all you want GAF, but these are just my beliefs and the choice I made at this highly contentious moment in this game.

life was going to end anyway and when Chloe herself mentioned that her respiratory system was failing.
I strongly believe that if one is of sound mind and of adequate health and this topic is brought up, one should honor that request as I don't think anyone wants to die a painful and slow death.

I agree totally that you should be able to choose to die under such conditions.
Just not at the hands of your best friend who's you've given a split second decision whilst high on morphine.

Just not at the hands of your best friend who's you've given a split second decision whilst high on morphine.

I don't think anyone can plan for the perfect moment to carry out euthanasia. Whenever you feel the moment is right, you take it.
For Chloe, to her, she felt that the this specific moment in time, reminiscing about the past and the good times she had spent with Max, was the ideal moment to pass on.

Karu

Flame me all you want GAF, but these are just my beliefs and the choice I made at this highly contentious moment in this game.
That's the thing, though.

I'm with you. The thing is -- I -- as a person don't wanna do it.

Choomp

Banned
That's the thing, though.

I'm with you. The thing is -- I -- as a person don't wanna do it.

That was my thing too. I don't want Max to have to live with doing something like that, nor do I think she was in a position to take an initiative like that. Is that stupid/selfish? Maybe, I don't know. I thought about it for so long before and after I chose to decline her request, I'm starting to question not accepting. Toughest decision of the game so far.

juicyb

I'm so glad I decided to blind buy this game after seeing how large this thread was. Definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm completely enraptured by this world, characters, and story that I just want more. It's a shame that I have to wait now for the next installment after binging through the first 4 episodes in two days. Is there any other games similar to this on Steam?

SomTervo

Man, I would straight-up restart if
Katie-Kate died. Srsly, when you're talking to her on the roof, talking about her Dad is the correct answer.

it was one of the most stunning moments I've ever had in gaming when me and my gf failed to
save Kate

I think we made two wrong dialogue choices

my fucking god

we were both shocked for a week

Why did I jump into this game now? I told myself that j would wait for all 5 episodes but I got impatient because I was curious to why Warren was getting all these GAF inside jokes. Just finished all 4 episodes in one day and now I must suffer and wait until episode 5 :( no emoji

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why did I jump into this game now? I told myself that j would wait for all 5 episodes but I got impatient because I was curious to why Warren was getting all these GAF inside jokes. Just finished all 4 episodes in one day and now I must suffer and wait until episode 5 :( no emoji

You're hella cool.

Anastasia

I had to put the controller down and think for a good 5 minutes. First time I've been so torn while playing this game. The level of emotional attachment it has achieved with me is no small feat. A tip of the hat to the people at DONTNOD, great stuff.

Can't wait for the resolution with episode 5, but I'm also sad to say goodbye to this world and it's characters.

It took me about 30-60 seconds to make my decision. But
I sort of figured Max was going to bring things back to the regular timeline regardless of my choice. Otherwise I would have taken longer.

Also, I feel so terrible about this. Sorry about the double post. When I can't go to sleep weird stuff happens

CMHD1tCUkAAH6PE.jpg:small

This is great!

Jachaos

All 4 episodes in one day? I would need a break after Ep. 2's ending, Ep. 4 would've done me in.

All 4 episodes in one day? I would need a break after Ep. 2's ending, Ep. 4 would've done me in.

I just moved to another state and have pretty much nothing else to do while I relax before I start having to worry about real life for now. Plus, I can't totally immerse myself in this game because of the fact that I can just rewind my decisions :/

Nny7229

I just moved to another state and have pretty much nothing else to do while I relax before I start having to worry about real life for now. Plus, I can't totally immerse myself in this game because of the fact that I can just rewind my decisions :/

Yes, let your powers comfort you. Your super reliable powers.

Nuke Soda

Went and collected locked trophies in Episode 4.

Trying to have a normal conversation with Mr. Jefferson is now impossible.

I had to put the controller down and think for a good 5 minutes. First time I've been so torn while playing this game. The level of emotional attachment it has achieved with me is no small feat. A tip of the hat to the people at DONTNOD, great stuff.

Can't wait for the resolution with episode 5, but I'm also sad to say goodbye to this world and it's characters.

I figured we could use the photo to jump back and let her dad die, but it was still a brutal scene.
The game has exceeded all my expectations and I am really attached to all of the characters. Can't wait for the finale.

epmode

The rewind feels like it may ruin the game when you first try it out but most of the important decisions have consequences that persist well after you lose the chance to reverse your decision.

Xiraiya

Well the whole game's story and puzzle moments are centered around the fact you do that.
So I don't know why that would be a problem, it's a time traveling story, it's kind of the whole point.

jediyoshi

Plus, I can't totally immerse myself in this game because of the fact that I can just rewind my decisions :/

Even though that's not quite the case, the part where you also get there save slots and can pretty simply pick up from different story points would do this regardless.

Jachaos

Oh, well I get plenty immersed and I meant needing a break because of that. Hell, I took a short break after the first part of Ep. 4 because of its atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Even though that's not quite the case, the part where you also get there save slots and can pretty simply pick up from different story points would do this regardless.

You just killed my immersion for dozens of RPG's! God dammit.
I'm glad I'm kidding.

Oh, well I get plenty immersed and I meant needing a break because of that. Hell, I took a short break after the first part of Ep. 4 because of its atmosphere.

I understand what you mean. I can definitely see why people would want to take a step back and take a breather with some of the things going on in this game. Trust me, I'm not afraid to let my emotions take over, but it just doesn't get to that level when it comes to video games.

Anyway, I'm certainly surprised with this game. I didn't expect it to be any better than average but I'm glad I was wrong. Also, the game can't decide if Blackwell is a high school or a college lol.

Steamlord

Chloe's age seems to be a weird thing they didn't entirely think through. Blackwell is supposedly only for high school seniors, and Max and Chloe are the same age, but Chloe apparently attended the previous year, I believe? As did Rachel Amber, and yet all of the students, who presumably just started attending a month or two prior to the events of the game, somehow knew Rachel even though she's been missing for six months.

Chloe's age seems to be a weird thing they didn't entirely think through. Blackwell is supposedly only for high school seniors, and Max and Chloe are the same age, but Chloe apparently attended the previous year, I believe? As did Rachel Amber, and yet all of the students, who presumably just started attending a month or two prior to the events of the game, somehow knew Rachel even though she's been missing for six months.

Maybe this will be explained in Episode 5? Highly unlikely, but seeing as how cleverly and well written the story is thus far, I wouldn't put it past the writers to clarify this temporal issue.

Just finished Episode 4.

Please hold me.

Maybe this will be explained in Episode 5? Highly unlikely, but seeing as how cleverly and well written the story is thus far, I wouldn't put it past the writers to clarify this temporal issue.

This might just be me, but I feel everyone 'knows' Rachel because it's a small town, 'everyone knows everyone' kinda thing.

Isn't Chloe one year older than Max? I believe somewhere in the game (maybe the school records) it says she's 19.

I knew exactly what I was going to do once I sensed where that conversation was going. So there was no hesitation for me, though I did go through each choice just to see how they played out in the short term.

But man, that was still a whopper of an opening for me. This game is crazy and I love it.

The thing about everybody knowing Rachel and Max being the only "new kid" bothered me too, but Chloe is supposed to be 1 year older than Max.

Steamlord

Isn't Chloe one year older than Max? I believe somewhere in the game (maybe the school records) it says she's 19.

That might be the case, I can't recall. There are still some issues regarding Rachel and all that though. Oh well, even if it is an oversight, I can forgive it.

This might just be me, but I feel everyone 'knows' Rachel because it's a small town, 'everyone knows everyone' kinda thing.

Right, but the students all talk about her like they attended Blackwell with her. Plus Blackwell is a prestigious school so a lot of students probably aren't actually from Arcadia Bay.

As did Rachel Amber, and yet all of the students, who presumably just started attending a month or two prior to the events of the game, somehow knew Rachel even though she's been missing for six months.

She is described as a popular outgoing person that everybody likes. That's the kind of person who would become well known in a small town.

...but the school is just strange no matter how you look at it - a special private art school that's only a highschool, only the 12th grade, and an art school that has dumb jocks, dorms, and a swim team?

Choomp

Banned
Right, but the students all talk about her like they attended Blackwell with her. Plus Blackwell is a prestigious school so a lot of students probably aren't actually from Arcadia Bay.

It seems like the general vibe about her is that she was a really nice, attractive person. I guess if she was that good of a person and went missing a lot of people would talk good about her.

Roussow

Just finished episode 2.

I've failed.

But there's no going back. Kate's dead. I honestly thought I nailed the dialogue choices, but apparently not, I even googled the damn Bible passages, and called her earlier in the episode.

By the end I thought her death was mandatory, but nope, she can live.
Oh, and by the way -- what the fuck is wrong with you if you blame Jefferson for Kate's suicide, that's crazy.

Jachaos

Just finished episode 2.

I've failed.

But there's no going back. Kate's dead. I honestly thought I nailed the dialogue choices, but apparently not, I even googled the damn Bible passages, and called her earlier in the episode.

By the end I thought her death was mandatory, but nope, she can live.
Oh, and by the way -- what the fuck is wrong with you if you blame Jefferson for Kate's suicide, that's crazy.

It's a tough one but it is feasible if you have good memory and investigated everything. She has a picture of her with her sisters and the letters and care you see from her father. The passage can be found too, but it's a tough one to remember. Answering her call, telling her to go to the police and getting David to back off from her will all let you bypass some answers. I think there might be other actions too. Two wrong answers is what's too many. It's a real difficult one to do but it's good that it's not too easy or too tough and that the immersion is strong enough to keep going. You can always make a second save file from that point and save her while we wait on Ep. 5. It's a well done moment I feel!

Top Bottom