• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I hope Bethsoft, Blizzard/Activision, and Eidos destroy these fucks. Hell, the Spawn movie dudes too, because as horrible as that movie was, it didn't deserve THIS.

Xabora

Mejilan said:
I hope Bethsoft, Blizzard/Activision, and Eidos destroy these fucks. Hell, the Spawn movie dudes too, because as horrible as that movie was, it didn't deserve THIS.
Epic Games and DreamCatcher Interactive to that list.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Bah, why do I always get the last post. :(

Is that screen I posted from resident evil? I never really played the entire series but it does look familiar.

Xabora

I read some stuff that this game was in production for 10+ years. :lol
Like the devs sitting on their ass for 9 years before they threw this together to make the publisher happy.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/LimboOfTheLost/LotL.shtm

Photoshopped... Badly. XD
Snap1.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
a Master Ninja said:
I'm totally digging the "name the stolen asset" meta-game Limbo has.
Please do not go there.

Anyway, is there any art assets in this game which HAVEN'T been stolen? so far it seems this game is a massive thievery, completely shameless too, I'm just mystified as to how this game even got to retail the plagiarism is so obvious.

Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.
http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=795

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
" Gordon: During the long gestation for this game, what sort of changes have you made to bring it up to date.

Steve: All of the game (apart from initial background story and some character designs) had to be re-written, all the characters had to be created in 3D and animated, all the background scenes re-created, all the sounds, coding and music?..basically everything had to be redone or newly created for the PC version. This is not an old game that has been dressed up. This is the original concept, dusted off and re-created."

Amazing!

duckroll

Doesn't look like it's even worth a lawsuit anymore. By the time each company is done with them, they'll walk away with 5 bucks each. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Xabora said:
Current List:
Black & White 2
Oblivion
Morrowind
Diablo (Not sure but a helm that appeared may be possible?)
Theif
Silent Hill 3
Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

The REAL Official Site for the POS: http://www.geocities.com/limboofthelost/

Diablo is definite. The skulls on the wall on the library they screenshotted from Thief 3 are from Diablo.

EDIT: Aaaaand.... the official GeoCities site for the game is shut down due to going over bandwidth restrictions.

Xabora

FlyinJ said:
Diablo is definite. The skulls on the wall on the library they screenshotted from Thief 3 are from Diablo.

EDIT: Aaaaand.... the official GeoCities site for the game is shut down due to going over bandwidth restrictions.
Site works for me atm.

EDIT: And yes your right it is down.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
These threads linked off Just Adventure are fucking golden.

Apparently the developer "Steve Bovis Creative/Project Director MAJESTIC STUDIOS" has been spamming all the adventure game forums with fake user names talking about how much they loved the game (Limbo of the Lost). Then Steve himself would show up and thank himself over the comments he made as the fake users, and all the forum members would get excited about the game.

At this "GameBoomers" site, he sent them an "exclusive review copy" then wigged out when the reviewer gave hints to people on the forum, saying that she was forbidden to give any hints.

Starts here:

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233736&fpart=5

This whole thing reminds me of that awesome Legend of Zelda : The Light Of Courage thing from the IGN boards... where some guy pretended to be from DIC studios and wanted to make an animated cartoon of this IGN guy's absolutely terrible script.

Except, it's like the Zelda script guy tried to make it himself. And succeeded. And then sold it for money.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh wait, correction. The developer wasn't posting pretending to be a player. His -daugher- was the one who posted pretending to be a player (apparently), and her dad would come in and thank her for the compliments.

JRPereira

Would it be too early to call this the Frankengame?
Or more accurately Frankenstein's game, even though that would be a terribly lame name for it.

Vark

duckroll said:
But a whole barrel of lolz! :D

It's also really useful in that you can just use the credits from the game as a handy black-list barring any of these goofballs from working in this industry ever again!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Here's some choice quotes from the "daughter" berating the reviewer for giving out hints. This is before it was revealed that it was just Steve the developer pretending to be a player... err I mean his daughter pretending to be a player:

Key: INFERNO = Game Reviewer
MSSTUDIOS = Steve, the Limbo developer, his own daughter, or not\

LimboDaughter said:
If I had known she was going to do this with the info I would not of helped her! It took me weeks to complete the game, it took her only days, do you see my point?

This I think is as bad as the developers themselves giving her a full solution and then her using it on the forum to help others, the knowledge was not gained by herself and noone spoilt it for her or me, that's the whole enjoyment and point of adventure games.....is it not?

I wonder what MSTUDIOS would think......care to comment MSTUDIOS??

Knowledge is best earned by oneself, rather than given away and obtained without effort.

I just feel betrayed by INFERNO after we both agreed not to do any spoilers or walkthroughs, then she posts the spoilers.

INFERNO has let me down, in return for hours of helping her to complete the game ready for the review.

LakeEarth

Honestly, how'd they think they could get away with this in this day in age? They didn't think that gaming forums across the board weren't going to catch this instantly?

JRPereira

I guess this guy didn't notice all the suspicion surrounding project exile, which wasn't nearly as blatant and is still questionable.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The only way anyone could have done such large-scale asset theft would be using one of those programs that dumps out the contents of a single frame from a running game into a 3D file. Or do all of those games offer easily convertable 3D/texture assets?

I said wow

Top Bottom