• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

:lol

the real question is who has more egg on their faces in this debacle,
the developer that stole all the assets to make his game or the publisher that decided to bring this game to market?

Xabora

Great Rumbler said:
I keep reading that there's evidence of them ripping off Crysis in one of the trailers at 1:33, but I can't figure out what exactly.
If you download the big trailer off their ftp server you can see more. ftp://ftp.trisynergy.com/pub/LimboOfTheLost/LotL-Trailer.zip

Heck they have some movie scenes in it with live actors they shoved into the teaser. :lol

MPAA would ream them big time.

EDIT: F*CK
Is it Pirates of the Caribbean?

alerus

Neo Member
This thread is in dire need of epic failure pics. Here:

epic-failure08.jpg

FailDog.jpg

best_fail_dog_ever.gif

Xabora said:
If you download the big trailer off their ftp server you can see more. ftp://ftp.trisynergy.com/pub/LimboOfTheLost/LotL-Trailer.zip

Heck they have some movie scenes in it with live actors they shoved into the teaser. :lol

MPAA would ream them big time.

EDIT: F*CK
Is it Pirates of the Caribbean?

Oh man, that's incredible! They throw in scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean, a flyby of the island from Crysis, and the character walking through a fully-3D world that clearly isn't the same game.

You know something fishy is going on when the CG looks considerably worse than what you're purporting to be the actual levels. :lol

neight

Banned
Yea that made me lol for real. It's going to be a sad realization when these idiots come to realize how much they suck.

Slayer-33 said:
Gamespy BEST OF E3? LOL IGN platinum/gold awards?!?! :lol :lol :lol

...I think you missed the joke...

This seems to be someone who couldn't get their own art team together, so just ripped a bunch of assets instead? I'd be surprised if the 'developer' was more than just a guy in his bedroom using klik & play or whatever, to be honest.

Xabora

Wow...

Not only are they fucked.
But they are Disney FUCKED! :lol

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1XpfbuZOA - 0:35

EDIT: Wiki is saying Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End so it might be either or.

Capped from the Video on FTP
vlcsnap489754ru2.png

Looks like they are trying to HIDE something in this pic. [Look at the bars on the top and bottom]
vlcsnap490530pw2.png

YAY OCD!

JeremyR

Great Rumbler said:
They were apparently involved, at some level, in publishing Runaway and The Longest Journey.

Yeah, about half the stuff they carry is from European companies that couldn't find another channel (also the various UFO games, and some wargames). But a lot of the stuff is just shareware quality stuff.

I guess it's closer to Lulu.com, actually, but if you read the about me on their site, it's clear they aren't a regular publisher in the traditional sense.

hteng

Banned
this just keep getting deeper and deeper, holy shit at the pirates of the caribean ripped off and black bars, those were fucking obvious

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is a joke huh? I mean, this cant be real. I am %100 confident this is some big ass viral marketing for some elite game that hasn't been anounced. Srsly, whoever is pulling this joke, my utter respect. I cant believe it tbh.

Koomaster

Koomaster said:
Wow, wonder how they thought they could get away with that one?
It's been 16 hours since I saw this thread. I can't believe that this got even worse than ripping off some Oblivion screens.

If everyone involved with this game is not fleeing the country this very minute, they have balls of steel. Absolutely shameless. And oh god at ripping movies too, Disney at that. They must have a deathwish, or want the game to utterly fail similar to 'The Producers' to have done something like this.

My statement still stands, how could they think they would ever get away with this?! 0___o

Xabora

Koomaster said:
It's been 16 hours since I saw this thread. I can't believe that this got even worse than ripping off some Oblivion screens.

If everyone involved with this game is not fleeing the country this very minute, they have balls of steel. Absolutely shameless. And oh god at ripping movies too, Disney at that. They must have a deathwish, or want the game to utterly fail similar to 'The Producers' to have done something like this.

My statement still stands, how could they think they would ever get away with this?! 0___o
Check THIS!
http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1213220420/4#4
Ivinia said:
Someone is claiming the hand pointer/icon in the game is from Black & White 2. It's all turned into a game in itself as people are identifying parts of the game from MANY different sources - mostly other games. The big game now is finding out where the main character came from or if they created him themselves.

I really can't image adults trying to pull something like this. Right now I have a mental picture in my head of a bunch of kids sitting around saying, "Hey, let's make a game." There's tons of stuff out there we can rip. No one will notice. Tri-Synergy and G2 has to have a lot of egg on their faces for actually signing these guys up. I wonder if they paid them advanced royalties? According to GameSpot the publisher has not been able to contact them as they are supposedly on vacation.... I bet they are!

EDIT: Just did some searching on my own and found that the dialog on this trailer with the demon speaking:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34863.html

Is from the video game RUNE: "The dead do not welcome the presence of the living, warrior. You remind them of all they have lost."
http://www.inkslinger.org/writing/samples/writing/writingsamplerunescript.html

godhandiscen

This is a freaking joke and you guys are falling for it. The forums were this conversations are had, are obviously just made up and filled with content. The thing that gave it away was the Bethesda mods responding inmediately. The game cannot be even purchased. Its all fake guys. I bet it has to do with Fallout 3 or something. Its just a marketing ploy.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
godhandiscen said:
This is a freaking joke and you guys are falling for it. The forums were this conversations are had, are obviously just made up and filled with content. The thing that gave it away was the Bethesda mods responding inmediately. The game cannot be even purchased. Its all fake guys. I bet it has to do with Fallout 3 or something. Its just a marketing ploy.
If the game is fake, could you tell GAME (The UKs biggest gaming retailer)?

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/PointandClick/~r330135/Limbo-of-the-Lost/

Oh...dear.

Frenck

Banned
The retail version has to be full of even more goodness. Can't wait to click my way through Silent Cartographer or Phendrana Drifts.

godhandiscen

Stop It said:
If the game is fake, could you tell GAME (The UKs biggest gaming retailer)?

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/PointandClick/~r330135/Limbo-of-the-Lost/

Oh...dear.
Release date "07/03/2008" Bet you a week long ban something big is happening this day. Nbody can be this stupid. Its all a freaking Viral marketing. All the other games released by the same publisher are also shovelware nobody ever heard about until now. The forums were the developers are having their conversations are totally made up and filled with shat on reviews of games that no one knows about. Srsly, this is a freaking viral marketing crap. The fact you guys cant see it makes it that good.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
godhandiscen said:
Release date "07/03/2008" Bet you a week long ban something big is happening this day. Nbody can be this stupid. Its all a freaking Viral marketing. All the other games released by the same publisher are also shovelware nobody ever heard about until now. The forums were the developers are having their conversations are totally made up and filled with shat on reviews of games that no one knows about. Srsly, this is a freaking viral marketing crap. The fact you guys cant see it makes it that good.
UK dates, the game was released in March.

Leonsito

godhandiscen said:

7th March

xenix

Ivnia said:

I really can't image adults trying to pull something like this. Right now I have a mental picture in my head of a bunch of kids sitting around saying, "Hey, let's make a game." There's tons of stuff out there we can rip. No one will notice. Tri-Synergy and G2 has to have a lot of egg on their faces for actually signing these guys up. I wonder if they paid them advanced royalties? According to GameSpot the publisher has not been able to contact them as they are supposedly on vacation.... I bet they are!

:lol Tri Synergy got pwnd.

The developer this game is probably taking a vacation in Qatar, permanently.

Ventrue

godhandiscen said:

The publishers are legit companies.

Also, who would rip off Disney movies for their viral marketing?

SappYoda

More rips found at beyond3d LoL thread:

RoadKillGrill said:
I posted this in the one on the news but ill post it here too.
They ripped off Angelheart's DM-Helmzdeep too it seems

UT2004-6-12-2008-DM-Helmzdeep-00035.jpg
Snap3.jpg

heres another rip, Painkiller again, first ep, 3rd level catacombs

pnklr-20080612-031757.jpg
932503_20080514_screen015.jpg

This its fun, its like a trivia game, find that rip.
edit: here another RTCW first map

lol.jpg

932503_20080507_screen009.jpg

SappYoda

Atilac said:
I thought the guy on the forum admitted he altered them photoshop.
He said:

RoadKillGrill said:
Yes I used photoshop, I cropped in the image and saved for web, no alteration to the images past that was done

So I underestand he just resized them in photoshop.

Anyone thinking of downloading the game illegally should probably consider they could potentially get prosecuted for multiple instances of copyright infringement as well! :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Controversy

The game features apparently stolen graphics that, according to news site GamePlasma, are identical to the game The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.[1] Further screenshots and video have suggested[2] that environments and features have also been stolen from Diablo II, Painkiller, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Silent Hill 4, Crysis, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and scenes from the 1997 film Spawn and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and World of Warcraft.
:lol Why am I tempted to pick up this game?

Edit: According to that Shack News article, there were 3 people working on this game. I can just imagine them sitting around loading up various games and pressing print screen. 'Do you think anyone will notice?', 'Nah.' :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tri Synergy's press release:
– Tri Synergy, Inc. ( www.trisynergy.com) would like to publish an official comment regarding recent comparisons of level design and artwork between Majestic Studios’ Limbo of the Lost and Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion/Eidos Interactive’s Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Tri Synergy is just as shocked as everyone else is by the recent screenshot comparisons. At no point during our dealings with Majestic Studios up until the point that the comparison was first publicly made by a third party did we have any knowledge of these similarities. Additionally, Tri Synergy will discontinue distribution of Limbo of the Lost in both retail and online outlets.

We have contacted the developer, Majestic, and are anxiously awaiting their response. As soon as we know more on this matter we will issue another statement.

More information about Tri Synergy is available from www.trisynergy.com.

Top Bottom