• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

Xabora said:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=177966

AHh hahhahaha
I was right.

UNREAL ASSETS!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/dubdesign/BuF/UT20042008-06-1202-29-25-76.png[img] [img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/dubdesign/BuF/Snap15.jpg[img]

[img]http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/835/snap17yb0.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.beyondunreal.com/media/gen_080611_1.jpg[img][/QUOTE][QUOTE]I posted this in the one on the news but ill post it here too.
They ripped off Angelheart's DM-Helmzdeep too it seems

[IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/rahkogen/UT2004-6-12-2008-DM-Helmzdeep-00035.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/rahkogen/Snap3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/24ocysm.gif

PD1403578_l.jpg

They look like mobsters to me. Where is Tony Soprano in that pic? :lol

Vorador

Banned
Ventrue said:
I feel kinda bad for them, really.

I don't . But I do feel kinda bad for the publisher since the shitstorm with probably hit them also, although they were dumb enough to not realize the massive amount of ripped-off scenarios in the game they were publishing.

Has this been confirmed? Skimmed a couple of pages but just found ridicule. I'm not sure if this RoadKillGrill person is the actual texture artist?

It's a shame it has had to come to this but it'll certainly send a message to the rest of the 3D artists about there.
Francias Castiglione said:
Why? They knew exactly what they were doing and were attempting to profit from the work of other artists and programmers.
You say they, but it's probably the actions of one or a handful of lazy artists (if I dare call them that) that have destroyed the reputation of a studio. I'm a little surprised whoever was in charge didn't see this happening.

SappYoda

Visualante said:
Has this been confirmed? Skimmed a couple of pages but just found ridicule. I'm not sure if this RoadKillGrill person is the actual texture artist?

It's a shame it has had to come to this but it'll certainly send a message to the rest of the 3D artists about there.

No RoadKillGrill is a Beyond3d user that noticed they were using UT2004 and RTCW assets.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Visualante said:

You say they, but it's probably the actions of one or a handful of lazy artists (if I dare call them that) that have destroyed the reputation of a studio. I'm a little surprised whoever was in charge didn't see this happening.

There is no studio, it's three dudes in their mid-life crises

Visualante said:

Yeah well, no.
This is just the story about 3 guys wanting to make money with a PC game and using screenshots of other games as background for their Point & Click Adventure. I'd be surprised if the game contains any realtime 3D-stuff. Doesn't look like it in the trailer.

Vorador

Banned
Visualante said:

Majestic Studios is comprised of just three people. I suppose someone of them learned to use FRAPS+photoshop, because the scenarios are 2D, they didn't even needed to rip the assets from the data.

Ah well then I find it hard to believe they weren't aware of the practice taking place in that case, "oh hey can you make me a cave with some blue lighting for this puzzle?"

5 minutes later...
"I can't do blue, but I've got a nice green cave you can have"

Autodesk and SoftImage should check their records to see if these guy bought legit. 3D software to animate that character. Could double whammy them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted One said:
These guys make Nibris look like seasoned professionals.
At least Nibris takes their artworks from Polish art galleries no one has ever heard of.
These guys took stuff from widely known games a lot of people have played.

Steppenwolf said:
Holy shit, they actually had the brass ones to publish photographs of their faces?

This is amazing stuff, and I can't even tell what's real and fake anymore. These guys are either complete retards of the biggest geniuses in the world -- possibly both at the same time.

Haden

Banned
Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That is true though theyve ripped off all the genres apart from point and click

Gordon: During the long gestation for this game, what sort of changes have you made to bring it up to date.

Steve: All of the game (apart from initial background story and some character designs) had to be re-written, all the characters had to be created in 3D and animated, all the background scenes re-created, all the sounds, coding and music?..basically everything had to be redone or newly created for the PC version. This is not an old game that has been dressed up. This is the original concept, dusted off and re-created.

:lol :lol

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=795

Pure gold

Insty

2qwfv52.jpg

Probably my favorite pic of the bunch.

"Asta la vista baby" Guess spell check didn't work for their spanish.

Eccocid

Seriously all those interviews and reviews, this is just so stupid to be true.
What if, it is a viral marketing?lol

Ben Sones

Visualante said:

Actually, the person credited as the project director (Steve Bovis) also did the art (though I guess "did" is sort of a stretch in this case). So I think it's reasonable to assume that he knew. ;)

Visualante said:
Autodesk and SoftImage should check their records to see if these guy bought legit. 3D software to animate that character. Could double whammy them.

Well, Smith-Micro, anyway, since the character animation was clearly done in Poser (with one of the stock walk animations that comes with the software, I'd wager). In fact, the main character is clearly one of the default Poser figures.

Insty said:
2qwfv52.jpg

Probably my favorite pic of the bunch.

"Asta la vista baby" Guess spell check didn't work for their spanish.

That book with the ornate binding--I'm pretty sure I've seen that art somewhere before. Etherlords, maybe? Is that one that's been found yet?

Vorador

Banned
Ben Sones said:
Well, Smith-Micro, anyway, since the character animation was clearly done in Poser (with one of the stock walk animations that comes with the software, I'd wager). In fact, the main character is clearly one of the default Poser figures.

It's getting even better :lol

Ben Sones said:
That book with the ornate binding--I'm pretty sure I've seen that art somewhere before. Etherlords, maybe? Is that one that's been found yet?

The ornate is ripped from the menu of Diablo 2.

zallaaa

This thread should be sticked for better access and the op should do a recap of the infos!
I mean, it could be the mightiest thread of the year :D

zallaaa said:
This thread should be sticked for better access and the op should do a recap of the infos!
I mean, it could be the mightiest thread of the year :D
The OP would only do a recap if it was hosted on his site.

Jme

I cant find anything in particular but something about this makes me think they stole assets from Eternal Darkness as well...

scully1888

Neo Member
I think this should be the first game that it's acceptable to download a pirated copy of.
Loads of people want to see it, and I don't think anyone can argue that the developer deserves money for their "hard work". :lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Vorador said:
The ornate is ripped from the menu of Diablo 2.

It's kicking a dead pig at this point, but the black-and-green coil design (at the top, also clumsily mirrored at the bottom) is from Burning Crusade web art too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so being that their entire "copyright" is apparently invalid, is it technically illegal to pirate this game?

dankir

Francias Castiglione said:
Why? They knew exactly what they were doing and were attempting to profit from the work of other artists and programmers.

Come on lets be realistic here, they aren't going to make any type of profit with a game that looks this bad.

Egg Shen

I last checked this thread yesterday and am pretty much in awe at how much more was found to be ripped looking at it now. Pirates of the Caribbean? Diablo?! That's seriously fucked up.

Eccocid said:
What if, it is a viral marketing?lol
Funny you should mention viral marketing. I did more reading at Just Adventure and it looks like there was already some controversy over the title:

http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1196172821/0

Long story short, someone posting as FABLE posted positively about the game in the forum and in working with the reviewer (who, IIRC, has decided not to submit their review). FABLE was later outed as having ties to the developers, the thread turns into a witch hunt to find out who was responsible, why they didn't come out and say who they were, and then looks at a potential conflict of interest between the publisher/developer and a reviewer for the title. It's a weird, weird twist to an already strange story. What the hell was going on with this game?

DaMainman

I'm oh-so-tempted to pirate this. Pirating a crap game that pirates other, better games is surely a double negative, making it okay to do.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pro hint: Don't buy games made by dudes who host their site on fucking GEOCITIES.

Vorador

Banned
thetrin said:
Pro hint: Don't buy games made by dudes who host their site on fucking GEOCITIES.

Actually they have a new few sales just because of this thread :lol i know a few who have purchased the game online just for the lulz

Top Bottom