• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited FOV = *barf*

elektrixx

Banned
I don't think I've ever had a problem with FOV. It all looks the same to me, possibly because I play PC games on the same large TV at the same viewing distance.

Chris_C

I remember playing RAGE for the first time, it was probably the first First-Person game to give me a headache because of the limited FOV. Changed it to a 100 and it was so much better.

I swear sometimes GAF scares me. I was playing Rage today and started to feel queasy, first time in a game. Can the FOV be altered in the PS3 version?

Angry Fork

I'm still upset after all these years that TF2 doesn't allow 90 it's at 70 or 75. Anyone know how to increase it? I don't understand why Valve would limit it like that.

how can we change fov in half life 2 and it episodes ?is there a command for it?

Source games have FOV settings in the options.

I'm still upset after all these years that TF2 doesn't allow 90 it's at 70 or 75. Anyone know how to increase it? I don't understand why Valve would limit it like that.

It's either in the normal options or the "advanced options" (or whatever it's called, I mean the special looking options screen where you can set up stuff like sound effects when you hit someone - has it's own FOV slider there).

Vagabundo

There was a fabulous FOV article posted here last year explaining the "why" of FOV. Lots of pictures and science etc. I wish I had a link for you.

In summary: sit further away from the TV for console games and bad PC ports.

Nabs

I'm pretty sure TF2 supports 90 right in the menu. I think it gives you a 75-90 slider.

SparkTR

I swear sometimes GAF scares me. I was playing Rage today and started to feel queasy, first time in a game. Can the FOV be altered in the PS3 version?

I think you can only do it in the PC version. People say they don't offer the option for console games because it affects performance, but I don't recall my FPS ever dropping significantly when I change it in PC games. They just don't like giving options.

Reiko

Banned
I think you can only do it in the PC version. People say they don't offer the option for console games because it affects performance, but I don't recall my FPS ever dropping significantly when I change it in PC games. They just don't like giving options.

By adjusting the FOV, you are rendering more objects per frame.

Alienups

viewmodel_fov "90"
fov_desired "90"

Enter those into the console or add them to your config file located in \Steam\steamapps\whatever your steam account name is\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

You can set up separate fov's for different classes etc

TF2 only goes to 90 but it can be pushed to 120 (iirc) with a not so legal plug-in.

Angry Fork

Just checked my game, it is at 90 so I was wrong. I don't know why it feels so limited compared to other games though. It feels like the gun takes up way too much screen space in TF2 but I've played 90 fov on other games that feel like it shows a lot more.

viewmodel_fov "90"
fov_desired "90"

Enter those into the console or add them to your config file located in \Steam\steamapps\whatever your steam account name is\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

TF2 only goes to 90 but it can be pushed to 120 (iirc) with a not so legal plug-in.

Thanks gonna try the console command for both maybe one of them will change something else since my slider in normal options is at 90.

Alienups

Just checked my game, it is at 90 so I was wrong. I don't know why it feels so limited compared to other games though. It feels like the gun takes up way too much screen space in TF2 but I've played 90 fov on other games that feel like it shows a lot more.

Thanks gonna try the console command for both maybe one of them will change something else since my slider in normal options is at 90.

If those don't help you out you could also try playing without viewmodels. It's what most comp players do since it frees up so much screenspace.

Enter r_drawviewmodel 0 into the console if you want to try it. It might take a while getting used to but it's worth it imo. You can also edit your cfg so it uses viewmodels for some weapons/classes and not for others.

I don't actually usually notice low FOV. I've been playing Borderlands 2 on PC for 150 hours with the standard setting.

The only thing that bugs me is with really high FOVs, where the textures and stuff on the side of the screen get stretched when you move around. It doesn't make me nauseous, but it does break immersion. No modern games have this though(by default), that's more of a Quake II thing.

Hari Seldon

Yeah one thing that will put me into a rage is a console port with no option to change the fucking FoV. I cannot stand console FoV.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
FOV is still annoying on consoles regardless of how far you sit. The mere option to adjust it, even if slight, would be nice.

Fugu

I used to not really care very much about FoV but in the last couple of years it's become a pretty significant factor in my enjoyment of various FPSes. I play Quake 3 at 130 degrees. which makes the transition to the significantly lower numbers seen in most other FPSes very jarring. I had to stop playing Metro 2033 pretty quickly because the game is made both unpleasant and nauseating by its ridiculous 45 degree FoV. I'm also bothered by games that let you change the FoV but are clearly not playtested at higher numbers, like Chivalry; it's annoying to have the hands holding my weapon to start about a third of the way up the screen.

I find that the sweet spot for most games is somewhere between 95 (really really slow-moving games that depend heavily on accuracy) and 130 (Quake/UT or similar games) and is mostly dependent on whether or not the engine can handle numbers above ~100 without the graphics becoming completely warped.

Fisheye Quake offers a pretty interesting summary of the appearance of higher FoVs: http://strlen.com/gfxengine/fisheyequake/compare.html

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Low FOV still feels shit no matter how far you are from the screen. How much you can see actually effects the playablility of a game. Shocking, I know.

That's great people think it's all okay because science though.

Waaghals

console style FOV is less of a problem if you are sitting far from the screen, but you still loose peripheral vision.
This makes it possible to "lose" an eight feet tall Space Nazi just because he walked up to you. this is why you'd want a relatively high FOV (at least around 70) even when playing a game on a console from far away.

The youtube video posted only explains that a low FOV will not make you physically uncomfortable if you are sitting far enough away from the screen and that screen is big enough, it does not claim that there aren't gameplay implication to using such a low FOV.

Haunted

Yeah, it's a godsend that most FPS games (and proper ports) are offering the option now.

I'm playing all my games on the TV and still don't like the narrow pov. Can't imagine how it would be if those made me sick, I feel you OP.

PC is the way to go for adjustable FOV options.

glaurung

That YT lecture is really, really good.

But this does not mean that I would tolerate exceptionally low FoV on consoles. It comes down to my ability to process the extended field and the objects within it. If I can do it, why should I restrict the information simply because the developer considers my brain below average.

I have never experienced nausea with FPS games. Neither from bad FoV or head bobbing.

But then I am not really normal either.

Hasney

viewmodel_fov "90"
fov_desired "90"

http://clugu.com/tf2mate/

It's just a config file and you can set the FOV up per class, even per weapon if you're nuts and can handle the switch.

RoadDogg

This isn't a fully related image, but I think it explains the concept a well (at least it did to me).

binocular_vision.gif

FOV is how much peripheral you have. Human's normally have ~100 degrees side to side so having half that on a game can really screw with you. I have seen some people go absurd with it in TF2 going over 180 degrees so they are basically looking behind them. That was since patched out and you have to use their defined range now.

console style FOV is less of a problem if you are sitting far from the screen, but you still loose peripheral vision.
This makes it possible to "lose" an eight feet tall Space Nazi just because he walked up to you. this is why you'd want a relatively high FOV (at least around 70) even when playing a game on a console from far away.

The youtube video posted only explains that a low FOV will not make you physically uncomfortable if you are sitting far enough away from the screen and that screen is big enough, it does not claim that there aren't gameplay implication to using such a low FOV.

Agreed. Hopefully the wave of larger TV's will allow an option to change FOV. It'll be something like "What is the size of your TV?" and "How far are you sitting?" or maybe just the former. And choosing a larger size will increase your FOV.

I agree, I'm not a fan of low FOV, but a low FOV on a 40-50 inch TV at about 7 feet away is what you need to not want to vomit.

Glass Rebel

Low FOV still feels shit no matter how far you are from the screen. How much you can see actually effects the playablility of a game. Shocking, I know.

That's great people think it's all okay because science though.

Well, that's a separate problem. It's probably also why we have tubular level-design and braindead enemy AI that can't even flank you.

I haven't seen anyone else post this yet... but games with high FOV give me headaches/ eye strain which usually lead to migranes... I think it's the slightly fish-eye look it gives the games...

Alienups

http://clugu.com/tf2mate/

It's just a config file and you can set the FOV up per class, even per weapon if you're nuts and can handle the switch.

I keep forgetting about that, that would be way easier for him. Thanks.

I have seen some people go absurd with it in TF2 going over 180 degrees so they are basically looking behind them. That was since patched out and you have to use their defined range now.

Nah, like i said earlier, there's a plug-in on the ETFL2 site that allows you to go higher than the defined range but it involves injecting a dll and Valve has said that if VAC ever picks it up you're basically fucked.

injurai

Banned
I'm playing through Bioshock 1 and this has been a problem for me. I'm really hoping the PC version is better handled in Bioshock Infinite.

Waaghals

Agreed. Hopefully the wave of larger TV's will allow an option to change FOV. It'll be something like "What is the size of your TV?" and "How far are you sitting?" or maybe just the former. And choosing a larger size will increase your FOV.

I agree, I'm not a fan of low FOV, but a low FOV on a 40-50 inch TV at about 7 feet away is what you need to not want to vomit.

Well, I believe that one of the reasons for using very low FOV's in console games is performance. On pc upping the fov has few performance consequences, but on a console you are trying to maximize visual fidelity on limited hardware.
This is why console game never have FOV sliders, performance would be affected.

Derrick01

Banned
I didn't even know what FOV was until I became a PC gamer, now I wish every game had a slider. It seems simple to do so outside of laziness I don't know why it's not in every PC port, though it is getting better.

... the one thing that really bothers me about games these days, your hand and gun take up 50% of the screen

50% of the screen? 50%? I'm sorry but what games have you been playing? I've played a lot of shooter but never have I seen a gun cover half of the screen. That's ridiculous. Do post some screenshots, because it sounds like you either have some weird screen settings or are overexaggerating like crazy.

injurai

Banned
This isn't a fully related image, but I think it explains the concept a well (at least it did to me).

binocular_vision.gif

FOV is how much peripheral you have. Human's normally have ~100 degrees side to side so having half that on a game can really screw with you. I have seen some people go absurd with it in TF2 going over 180 degrees so they are basically looking behind them. That was since patched out and you have to use their defined range now.

These are a bit more accurate, your FOV including peripheral vision ranges from 190° - 210°

On Tf2 like you said I need a minimal of 90° to feel comfortable. But 120 and up is much preferred, unless of course it starts being distorted based on where your monitor lies in your real world FOV.

visualfield1.gif

P%26TV.jpg

Anything below 90 degrees makes me nauseated. I realized this years ago when I wondered just WHY some random FPS games make me throw up.

Glass Rebel

These are a bit more accurate, your FOV including peripheral vision ranges from 190° - 210°

On Tf2 like you said I need a minimal of 90° to feel comfortable. But 120 and up is much preferred, unless of course it starts being distorted based on where your monitor lies in your real world FOV.

probably because it's a fucking owl

Nabs

I haven't seen anyone else post this yet... but games with high FOV give me headaches/ eye strain which usually lead to migranes... I think it's the slightly fish-eye look it gives the games...

So don't jack the slider all the way up?

Dipswitch

I wasn't even aware what FOV was until I started reading these forums. And even then, the only game where I found it bothered me was Killzone 2.

Still, always nice for people to have the choice to adjust it if necessary.

Top Bottom