• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited FOV = *barf*

Yeah it bugs me sometimes too, on PC usually more than consoles. Halo 4 bugged me a bit though, especially since a lot of the bigger weapons literally take up a 1/3 of the screen space.

I'm not a big fan of stretching out the FOV. I pretty much want it to look exactly as it would if I just had a frame stuck over my eyes (which I do, since I wear glasses). I'd rather give up the peripheral vision (what I don't see through my glasses lenses) due to the screen edges, but not distort the image itself, than squash it into the frame unnaturally. The high FOV fisheye is terrible in motion, and at a really high FOV it even looks absurd in stills.

Shorthand: I want that virtual lens to be shaped the same as my actual eyes' lenses. Don't distort the image just because I'm looking at it on a screen.

Wanting that high FOV is like the inverse version of people who insist on stretching 4:3 content to fill a 16:9 screen. But personally, the fat people and oval circles drive me crazy.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Oculus Rift will solve this for us. Yeah!

Top Bottom