• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park new single "Burn it Down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Is it Linkin Park blasphemy if Reanimation is my favourite album by them

Reanimation is probably their best stuff.

even though it's got way too many interludes, I really liked A Thousand Suns. Blackout is probably in my top 5 LP songs.

Sai-kun

Banned
P5hng Me A*wy, FRGT/10, X-Ecutioner Style, Rnw@y, and By_Myslf are the best tracks off Reanimation. Seriously kickass.

Sean

Banned
Linkin Park hasn't been good since 2003 imo.

I like Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora. The rest of their stuff has been meh.

Lunchbox

Banned
hybrid theory and meteora are sounds of a generation, they will be remembered like the white album and thriller

you guys keep your blind hate on, just remember the gen after the beatles and MJ also made fun of them. so when your grandkids are digging up those albums im sure you'll pump your chest then about how you got to see mike shinoda, chester bennington and mr. Hyun perform

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I un-ironically think Linkin Park is fantastic and cool, if dated. I loved Meteora and Hybrid Theory, that combo they (he?) did with Evanescence, and w/e that was they did with Jay-Z. Minutes to Midnight fucking blew and I never heard 1000 Suns at all.

Decently pleased with this track. But I'm 32, married with two babies, and still listen to 311 so you can ignore me. Just saying there are some dorks out there that still love it.

Korey

hybrid theory and meteora are sounds of a generation, they will be remembered like the white album and thriller

you guys keep your blind hate on, just remember the gen after the beatles and MJ also made fun of them. so when your grandkids are digging up those albums im sure you'll pump your chest then about how you got to see mike shinoda, chester bennington and mr. Hyun perform

Actually, almost everyone loves Hybrid Theory and all their early stuff. For some reason, hating on Linkin Park is a self-perpetuating meme. My friends and I were talking about this a year ago when we realized we all liked LP even though we were also aware that we were supposed to hate them.

It was the shit back in the day and their sound defined that generation for those years.

I un-ironically think Linkin Park is fantastic and cool, if dated.

See above. Self perpetuating meme that people now have to qualify their opinions of them with "un-ironically"

big_z

I like Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora. The rest of their stuff has been meh.

Some songs have been alright since then but I mostly agree. It's like they forgot how to add energy to the songs and keep making music for grandma.

As for the picture showing the wave form for a bunch of tracks, you'll see the same results with most music.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Actually, almost everyone loves Hybrid Theory and all their early stuff. For some reason, hating on Linkin Park is a self-perpetuating meme. My friends and I were talking about this a year ago when we realized we all liked LP even though we were also aware that we were supposed to hate them.

It was the shit back in the day and their sound defined that generation for those years.

See above. Self perpetuating meme that people now have to qualify their opinions of them with "un-ironically"

Very true. I think it was that stupid "i'm gonna go listen to linkin park" meme that made that dumbpinion popular. They kicked ass for a few years, then they sucked. Defined a generation? That's a pretty bold statement, considering they were more or less the nail in the coffin of nu-metal/rap metal, w/e.

I really enjoyed "A Thousand Suns" and still listen to it from beginning to end a year later. I really hope they continue in that direction for this album. I'm just afraid of them giving into record labels, fans, and the almighty dollar. I'd hate for them to water down the awesome direction they were going before.

RDreamer

I still regard Hybrid Theory pretty highly. I can't listen to it that much anymore, because I listened so much back when it came out. Every day I'd come home and do my homework to that album, and usually the homework took longer than one play through. I was so excited when Meteora came out, too. And, while I was initially a bit disappointed with it, it grew on me quite a bit. I haven't really paid attention to them since then. I partially grew out of their sound, I think, though this thread is making me want to listen again.

I kind of wish a band with a bit more technical prowess attempted the same sorts of things that Linkin Park did. I liked the combination of different types of music, and everything they did, but they were a bit simple and samey overall. I'd like to hear another band that could really put some chops into it attempt that.

P5hng Me A*wy, FRGT/10, X-Ecutioner Style, Rnw@y, and By_Myslf are the best tracks off Reanimation. Seriously kickass.

fucking this. reanimation is by far their best album, even if its all just remixes. seriously some damn good music in it. i still listen to it to this day!

dvdjamm

Hybrid Theory,Meteora,Reanimation & Collision Course are good...everything else has been hit or miss. This new song sounds like New Divide.

apana

I've never bought any of their albums but I am familiar with their music because sometimes I look for Avatar clips on you tube. Points of Authority is probably my favorite, or at least the one name I can remember right now.

This band is just...terrible now.

In the turn of the century they were unique, fresh, and seen as a good bridge from the 90's to the next "era" of music. Now they seem to not only overstay their welcome, but have no idea what they want to be.

This band hasn't been good since Meteora.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Never been a huge fan, and yeah their lyrics seemed a little to depressed young kid to me.

That being said at least on a lot of the earlier stuff I didn't mind a lot of the music part. Also seems slightly different IMO from a lot of the other hard rock tinged stuff. A Song like Faint or Lying From You just seemed like it was quiet a bit different from much of the other popular stuff played on hard rock radio in the 00s.

They remind me as a more angsty emo version of idk Incubus verses sounding like Nickleback or Seether. Probably why I don't really mind LP's music even if I'm not a huge fan.

Suairyu

Banned
Please to see the Reanimation love in this thread. In high school, nobody understand the point of a remix album and were all "it's just the same songs I felt ripped off!" Bet they hated D-Sides from Gorillaz, too.

Though to be honest their stuff with JayZ is the most re-listenable these days, I feel.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sounds alright. There were some gems on M2M, as well as ATS.

Gems on MTM:

Leave Out All The Rest
Bleed it Out
In Between
In Pieces (another one of my top five LP songs. I love this one)

Gems on ATS:

When They Come For Me
Robot Boy
Waiting For the End
Blackout

special mention: Burning in the Skies

Jzero

Gems on MTM:

Leave Out All The Rest
Bleed it Out
In Between

Gems on ATS:

When They Come For Me
Robot Boy
Waiting For the End
Blackout

This

rdrr gnr

Gems on MTM:

Leave Out All The Rest
Bleed it Out
In Between

Gems on ATS:

When They Come For Me
Robot Boy
Waiting For the End
Blackout

For me it was:

The Little Things Give You Away (which I think is their most mature track ever).
In Pieces (nice to hear Brandon actually play the guitar without using chords).
Leave Out All The Rest (nice calm vocals with a catching outro and chorus).

The Catalyst (again, it has great depth, atypical for Linkin Park).
Blackout (sounds like a mess on paper, but sounds great on record).
Waiting for the End (love the synth/guitar work during the breakdowns).

kirblar

The biggest problem they have had is that they've had to rely far, far more heavily on Bennington's vocals in recent years (instead of going 50/50 rap/singing like on their initial albums) and they've just kinda turned into a generic band in the process.

Acidote

I feel the same, and I still like those LPs. Outside from that, I just like a song here and there which may not even sound like them (i.e. Shadow of the Day).

And I love their Live in Texas pushing me away.

Riposte

For the longest time people told me to be ashamed of my love for "Reanimation" (which I can still listen to today). Knowing there are others out there... well, I feel safe coming out of that closet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For me it was:

The Little Things Give You Away (which I think is their most mature track ever).

Not normally like their stuff that most people have heard, but this track is frick'n great.

I still maintain their appeal to me is the music which fits more into my wheel house verses other stuff that was popular around that time. LP might have been played on the same station as say Puddle of Mudd, but they don't really SOUND similar at all. The vocals and the lyrics are take it or leave it for me, but I don't mind a lot of the music tracks (before they decided to try and be U2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom