• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Links 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom

There is never anybody playing online in Links on Intermediate only Begginer which is far too easy.
Just wondering if anyone on here fancys a round sometime, my Gamertag is
"The Phant0m" (it's a zero - I know, im soooo cool using numbers in my name!!1 1337 h4x0r)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Phantom said:
There is never anybody playing online in Links on Intermediate only Begginer which is far too easy.
Just wondering if anyone on here fancys a round sometime, my Gamertag is
"The Phant0m" (it's a zero - I know, im soooo cool using numbers in my name!!1 1337 h4x0r)

I just got the game myself, been playing on Advance but the putting is so challenging that way. How much easier is the shot making on intermediate?

Phantom

Going up from beginer to intermediate I found it very tough to get going especially with the putting. After putting in a lot of practice though I'm getting better but it's still very easy to make mistakes, unlike beginer where it is very easy to get almost every putt in.

Phantom

Differences from Beginer -> Intermediate are :
No yellow line on power bar
Wind affects the ball more realistically
Errant swings punished more

That's all i know of, possibly a few more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have any of you played this and Tiger Woods 2004? I was dying to get a good golf game since the last good one was HSG3 and TW, while it has great extras, tour pros, etc. is just uninteresting when it comes to the gameplay, they have some sort of "luck" skill that basically means if your shot is anywhere near the hole and you have good "luck" it will find the hole, regardless of your actual shot. Incredibly frustrating. In HSG3, making an Eagle chip was a great feeling, in TW you're almost disappointed when you don't make one. Also it has that analog swing thing, but you almost have to try to not make the ball go dead center. How is all this stuff in Links?

Phantom

Well I haven't played Tiger Woods but i know it has a lot more courses than Links (19-9 or something). Links deffinitly seems to take some skill (on any difficulty other than beginer) no 'luck' factor as far as I'm aware. It uses analog swing but depending on how straight you pull and push the stick affects the direction of the ball although probably a bit too drastically. Regarding the great feeling when getting chips etc in, well thats deffinitly there in Links. I have a huge amount of shots saved just because I was extremly pleased with myself, still not got a hole in one yet though.... someday.

Fifty

AstroLad said:
Have any of you played this and Tiger Woods 2004? I was dying to get a good golf game since the last good one was HSG3 and TW, while it has great extras, tour pros, etc. is just uninteresting when it comes to the gameplay, they have some sort of "luck" skill that basically means if your shot is anywhere near the hole and you have good "luck" it will find the hole, regardless of your actual shot. Incredibly frustrating. In HSG3, making an Eagle chip was a great feeling, in TW you're almost disappointed when you don't make one. Also it has that analog swing thing, but you almost have to try to not make the ball go dead center. How is all this stuff in Links?

Links doesn't rely on luck. I prefer Links. Links are tasty.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fifty said:
Links doesn't rely on luck. I prefer Links. Links are tasty.

The thing that really gets me is that it's not even actual "luck." I've had tons of "lucky" shots in HSG3 and it feels just like making a lucky shot in hoops, good. TW is more like "oh great I hit it within 15 ft of the hole and my luck is 100, so the computer will make it go right at the pin instead of where I actually hit it." It's this kind of predetermined shit that really bothers me about EA; I'm playing an action golf game, not Tiger Woods RPG, let me control the damn shot!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, there is a statistic called "luck." I like arcadey games (Neo Turf Masters is one of my favorite MAME games), but it just greatly detracts from the game in the way that it works. I hit three long eagles from the fairway into the cup in a row at one point, and I've only had the game for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom