• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Link's Crossbow Training screens

wazoo

bluheim said:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry at what Nintendo is doing.

you can do both using one SPE for each task on the ps3 :)

Seriously, it is like the worst joke about Wii+Brain Training of last year and people are accepting it because it is a pack in game. I do not get the "it is a pack in game" excuse. I can find full ps2 games for the same price.

Neomoto

Looks more fun than Umbrella Chronicles, and that's full priced and in development for quite some time. Not bad for a free pack-in title. Maybe I'll get this if Ghost Sqaud turns out to be good so I have at least 2 games to play with the 'zapper'.

bluheim

Banned
Souldriver said:
What is wrong with a game like that, apart from the stupid name?

What's wrong ?

First, you're right, the stupid name. Zelda. Zelda. Zelda. It doesn't deserve such a fate.
Second, the new politic of Nintendo, based on peripherals and mini-games. That's not the Nintendo I used to love.

Dascu

bluheim said:
What's wrong ?

First, you're right, the stupid name. Zelda. Zelda. Zelda. It doesn't deserve such a fate.
Second, the new politic of Nintendo, based on accessories and mini-games. That's not the Nintendo I used to love.
:lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I just don't "get" the zapper.

The trigger is in the wrong position for any crossbow/gun setup and attaching the wiimote to a clunky peripheral seems counter to the the entire philosophy that the wiimote was born from.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MrSardonic said:

The trigger is in the wrong position for any crossbow/gun setup and attaching the wiimote to a clunky peripheral seems counter to the the entire philosophy that the wiimote was born from.

The design of the 'zapper' it self is pretty shitty. There would be no way I would buy it if it was sold alone. But I'd get it just for this game probably (and it's only $20)

You wanna know what's really weird?

I came home from work last night and Twilight Princess was sitting next to the Wii, yet I didn't remember buying it.

Fun game so far.

Also my hands are quite shaky and thus I tend to have a bit of trouble with wiimote/stylus based games =/. Hopefully this gun works out.

MrSardonic said:

you don't need to get the zapper. that's the brilliance of it.

this thing reportedly works wonders for casual gamers. no idea if those reports are true, but i've heard from people that struggle aiming with just the wiimote that had a better time with the zapper.

i'm not sure i'll ever use it, but $20 for crossbow training by itself may be a fair price... who knows, maybe it'll get my wife interested in games like this and we can play umbrella chronicles co-op.

that'd be worth $20.

koam

It's kinda weird but i'd pay $20 for this, but not if it comes with the zapper. I really don't want the zapper, i hate collecting peripherals. I already have so many and with the wii, that number is even worse.

For me to buy this, the demo must be good, cause i'm buying it for the demo, not for the gun.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo should have done a shooter version of Luigi's Mansion. Move with nunchuk, flashlight is the wiimote pointer, and trigger to enable the vacuum. Then there should also be the puzzles segment (only not laughably unchallenging this time).

Do it Nintendo.

Haunted

PepsimanVsJoe said:
You wanna know what's really weird?

I came home from work last night and Twilight Princess was sitting next to the Wii, yet I didn't remember buying it.

Fun game so far.

Also my hands are quite shaky and thus I tend to have a bit of trouble with wiimote/stylus based games =/. Hopefully this gun works out.
It's a sign of god.
you've been drinking again, haven't you? :/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Nintendo should have done a shooter version of Luigi's Mansion. Move with nunchuk, flashlight is the wiimote pointer, and trigger to enable the vacuum. Then there should also be the puzzles segment (only not laughably unchallenging this time).

Do it Nintendo.

If Nintendo were EA, we'd have MANSION 2008 by now.

bluheim said:
What's wrong ?

Second, the new politic of Nintendo, based on peripherals and mini-games. That's not the Nintendo I used to love.

It's too bad Nintendo has only recently started doing this.

Neomoto

MrSardonic said:

Come on, it's not meant to be a hardcore's dream come true. It's mostly for casuals and possibly non-gamers, so that they enjoy their motion based games even more thinking they are holding a real gun and what not. Gaming is about entertainment after all.

E-phonk

Banned
bluheim said:
the new politic of Nintendo, based on peripherals .... That's not the Nintendo I used to love.

:lol :lol :lol

Nintendo has been releasing peripherals from before you loved them. They are all about interface/peripherals/hardware.

This is the company who released a keyboard for the NES (what's the use!), a mouse for the SNES, a bazooka, a camera and printer for gameboy - started their succes in the US with a robot and lightgun (called... listen good... the ZAPPER) addon and even made 3D glasses that sucked the eyeballs out of your head.

Iam Canadian said:
I still can't believe Nintendo is actually making a game called Link's Crossbow Training.

I just can't believe it.
It'd be worse if they tried to bill it as The Legend of Zelda: Crossbow of Schadenfreude, though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So has anyone questioned why the game packed in with a gun accessory is using a crossbow as the weapon?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Gigglepoo said:
What the hell? That's the irrelevance of it! There's no point to the Zapper. It actually makes pointing harder.

Then you add in the fact that some levels require you to move around with the analog stick, which when in the zapper shell is located on the back. The standard Nunchuck setup seems much more comfortable than the Zapper. It just looks very awkward. I think they shoulda just put this out as wiiware without the zapper for less money.

ksamedi

I loved the shooting range in Wiiplay, it basically made the game worth the 10 euros (and the tank game) so this is an instant buy for me. I hope they have some highscore sharing functionality in it.

E-phonk

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I think they shoulda just put this out as wiiware without the zapper for less money.
But then they would miss the whole point of trying to convince third party's that 40% of the userbase has the zapper addon. This game is made to sell that plastic thing, not the other way around.

dfi

Baryn said:
A new ground texture, Nintendo redeemed.

Also, the starry night pic reminds me of the roller coaster at the Golden Saucer.

Textures look better than TP, but they still didn't do anything about the aliasing.

Ramenman

This game has a real adventure mode, with all the locations of the original Twilight Princess games, where you're totally free to move around along with pointer aiming. Zelda FPS. Don't puke, remember the Secret Village section in Wii TP ? Well, they made a game out of it and called it "crossbow training". Plus a zoom in function for some crossbow sniper action :D

For 20$ I'm in. And I don't give a shit about the zapper.

Edit : IGN needs to be quoted again on this one :

9:37 a.m.: In Stalfos Defender, you see Link in the foreground as Stalfos approach nearby. You have to shoot as many of them as you can. You can turn the screen by dragging the on-screen reticule to the left or right. Very satisfying effect as you blow the enemies apart. For a $19.99 pack-in, this is pretty impressive stuff. Indeed, looks much more fun than Umbrella Chronicles, as far as I'm concerned.

9:38 a.m.: In another type of gameplay style, you actually move Link through the levels with the nunchuk's analog stick and aim normally with the Zapper. You have full freedom of movement and can walk into any direction. Meanwhile, you can zoom in and pick off enemies from a distance, shoot boxes for upgrades, etc. When you shoot something other than an enemy, you still keep your multiplier. Again, color me pleasantly surprised.

this is the cold revenge that nintendo has been cooking to US gamers for preffering realistic zelda over Windwalker stylish graphics.

HAHAHA

Zeed

Banned
I wonder if the story rumors are true. The word when this first leaked was that the story would actually make it a sequel to Twilight Princess, with Link ultimately making his way back to
the Twilight Realm to reunite with Midna

Twilight Princess' ending kind of leaves that open, so you never know...

bluheim said:
What's wrong ?

Zelda has already plunged into that so called fate. Its called Tetra trackers.

Zerodoppler said:
It's a shame it's based on the worst 3d overworld in a Zelda game. I bet the music will be bad as well. :/

TWW = the worst 3d overworld. Nothing but generic endless sea that you can't even fish. The map is basically a symmetrical check board with a bunch of tiny islands. TP's overworld at least has variety and a bunch of set pieces. Hills, canyons, desert, grass, transparent water and frigid mountains FTW!
Music for TWW was pretty bad as well.
Both TP and TWW had the same amount of good music and bad music.

Bidermaier said:
this is the cold revenge that nintendo has been cooking to US gamers for preffering realistic zelda over Windwalker stylish graphics.

HAHAHA

Tetra Trackers was the cold revenge that nintendo has been cooking for the wind wankers for prefering the pedo retard zelda style over Twilight Princess's bad ass designs.

I look forward to playing this--WITHOUT the idiotic plastic shell. The Wii needs more "light gun" games. I've been convinced of this since Rayman Raving Rabbids' plunger games. Namco should bring Time Crisis over.

Bidermaier said:

HAHAHA

$20 Zelda-themed lightgun game? That's my kind of revenge!

Dama

Banned
It looks like a Zelda mini game that was cut from the retail version and now they are charging $$$ for it.

nli10

I'd rather have a full version of police 24/7 (or maybe the lesser Time Crisis) using the Wii Fit board, but this is a good start to proper arcade style shooting at home.

Zeed said:
I wonder if the story rumors are true. The word when this first leaked was that the story would actually make it a sequel to Twilight Princess, with Link ultimately making his way back to
the Twilight Realm to reunite with Midna

Twilight Princess' ending kind of leaves that open, so you never know...

Eh? I posted that info that a source stated the game was a "sequel" to Twilight Princess in that it takes place post-TP, but nothing as in depth as what you said. The other element I said was Princess Zelda would be playable.

What the fuck is wrong with you guys?

1) The game and peripheral together are only 20 bucks.

2) It looks as good as Twilight Princess graphically.

3) You hold the thing like a cross-bow, it MAKES SENSE!

4) The game has a solid amount of modes, environments, and enemies.

5) You will all buy one and most likely enjoy it.

6) It will sell millions.

7) Shut up.

Top Bottom