• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead working on Unreal Engine 4 game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case there was any doubt before, this is now confirmed: https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/307035456216915970

Lionhead said:
Audio Designer
4 month contract

Role Purpose

Lionhead Studios is looking for an experienced Audio Designer to assist in the creation and implementation of Sound Design for one of its current projects.

This contract role requires the Audio Designer to work with the Sound Supervisor on the project to help realise the creative vision, through excellent sound design skills, audio feature design and implementation using Wwise and Unreal Engine 4.

Key Accountabilities

• Sound Design, Field Recording, Foley Recording, Dialogue Editing.
• Implementation using Wwise.
• Implementation of Audio into Unreal 4 Engine.

Essential Experience & Skills

• Excellent Sound Design Skills with a keen ear for detail and fidelity.
• The Desire to create Sound Design that pushes current Game Audio Techniques and Implementation.
• Working to a compact schedule.
• Advanced Wwise Implementation Skills.
• Unreal 3 Editor Experience – Kismet Scripting Logic for Sound Implementation. UE4 Experience would be a bonus.
Source: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nhead.com/audio-designer/&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

UrbanRats

Yup, it came to me as i was posting.

Anyway, hopefully Lionhead will get back doing at least decent games.
To be honest i enjoyed Fable 2, the Fable 3 demo though turned me off completely and Fable Journey was a Kinect game (which i don't have), not the greatest track record as of recently.

pelican

I wonder if it will be another Fable. I wouldn't mind if it was. Will be interesting to see how the franchise develops post Molyneux.

Damn, Fable 2 was so good. Fable 3 was conceptually a good idea, just a fail in execution once
you became king
. Really looking forward to another, although I hope it's not an MMO, or at least there's a more traditional experience alongside an MMO.

As far as U4, sweet ha, does anyone really want lionhead to use their own tech?

Good stuff though, Fable is one of the highlights for me out of MS' IP.

Jadedx

Banned
Why doesn't MS create an engine that highlights the strengths of their console instead of a multiplat engine? Get 343 to make it.

Why doesn't MS create an engine that highlights the strengths of their console instead of a multiplat engine? Get 343 to make it.

Eh, probably just because their strengths are going to be focused around the os level, and not the game level, and Unreal 4 is probably going to be a pretty good engine if you can go by Unreal 3. Also, launch. Give it time.

EDIT: If this does indeed turn out to be an MMO or something too (job hiring has involved a bunch of mo experience required), graphics may not be a focus for this game.

MCD

What if Lionhead doesn't want to use said engine?

I am no developer or knowledgeable about this shit but there must be a reason why they would go for a middleware instead of in house stuff by Rare or 343.

Jadedx

Banned
I would much rather have a new IP from Lionhead as well. Fresh IP, fresh start.

From the rumors I've read, the MMO is a new IP, they are also making fable 4. I'll probably buy both.

Pretty much that is what 343 and Turn 10 do.

I want one team to create a super engine exclusive to MS first party games so that all the other teams can focus on making games.

Hana-Bi

Well it says that there are multiple projects they are currently working on. So they could use their own engine for other projects...

Yup, it came to me as i was posting.

Anyway, hopefully Lionhead will get back doing at least decent games.
To be honest i enjoyed Fable 2, the Fable 3 demo though turned me off completely and Fable Journey was a Kinect game (which i don't have), not the greatest track record as of recently.

I enjoyed Fable 2, well except the coop which seemed to be an after thought. Fable 3 was such a let down, it felt development had been rushed, and had some very strange gameplay design choices.

Doffen

I don't think "1 engine to rule them all" would be the way to go. A good engine for a racing game doesn't necessarily make a good engine for a shooter.

Either way I would expect Unreal Engine 4 to look great on the next Xbox. After all it doesn't seem like MS and Epic's 3. party relationship is about to end.

mocoworm

Acc to IGN it is Fable MMO

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/what-are-microsofts-first-party-studios-up-to

"Fable: The Free-to-Play MMO

STUDIO: Lionhead Studios

ODDS OF IT HAPPENING: 95%

Of every Microsoft-exclusive developer, Lionhead makes the most sense to lead the massively multiplayer charge on the next Xbox. The Fable franchise has been building out the world of Albion for a decade, so there’s an established interest in the world and its inhabitants. Here’s where it gets good:

Lionhead is hiring a lot of online-focused positions, veteran MMO developers, as well as someone to configure “monetization features within our upcoming game,” and to “coordinate pricing of virtual goods and balance free vs. paid currency in the game economy.” Given the direction many developers are moving, a free-to-play Fable game with microtransactions for in-game goods is fully within the realm of possibility.

Also, while we’re making bold calls: Lionhead will use Unreal Engine 4 for the Fable MMO."

TheOddOne

FYI MS has something called the "Advanced Technology Group". They help with a lot of stuff:
Ready to work on some of the most advanced hardware on the planet and solve mind-bending game development problems on a daily basis? The Advanced Technology Group (ATG) is looking for software engineers with a strong interest in game technologies who are passionate about helping the world's leading game developers by investigating, reporting and solving challenging Xbox coding, API and OS problems they encounter. You will have opportunity to work with many game technologies such as LIVE, Graphics, Audio, performance optimization and many more.

They recently picked up this guy:

jbbr6yACAtIlk7.png

Here are the videos: Mega Meshes and Mighty Light.

UrbanRats

^^^ Cool stuff.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/what-are-microsofts-first-party-studios-up-to

Of every Microsoft-exclusive developer, Lionhead makes the most sense to lead the massively multiplayer charge on the next Xbox. The Fable franchise has been building out the world of Albion for a decade, so there’s an established interest in the world and its inhabitants. Here’s where it gets good:

Lionhead is hiring a lot of online-focused positions, veteran MMO developers, as well as someone to configure “monetization features within our upcoming game,” and to “coordinate pricing of virtual goods and balance free vs. paid currency in the game economy.” Given the direction many developers are moving, a free-to-play Fable game with microtransactions for in-game goods is fully within the realm of possibility.

Also, while we’re making bold calls: Lionhead will use Unreal Engine 4 for the Fable MMO."
Oh.. oh.

Dabanton

Hmm didn't realise that Fable:TJ ran on UE3. The game looked stunning when I played it. Can't wait to see what they've got UE4 doing.

The MMO is new ip i remember.

Didn't Lionhead develop an engine some time ago? Did they ever ended up using it?

EDIT: Megameshes it's what i was thinking of: http://youtu.be/pAyqryrN-I0

A common misconception, but Megameshes was not an engine, it was a technique for virtualizing geometry in a way similar to what id's Megatextures do for texture data (it's interesting to note that it might have been one of the things that influenced Durango's hardware design). It makes games look better, but it also speeds up development and makes artists' lives much easier. Perhaps it can also be implemented in UE4. Here we can see it running on the engine developed internally to Milo and Kate, but Lionhead has since switched for UE for their base technology. Of course, they'll build on top of that, EU is highly modular.

That's just their speculation, likely based on this report. What they seem to be missing is the fact that it's a) a new IP, and b) not an MMO.

That said, we'll definitely be getting more Fable as well, and who knows what multiplayer setup it might use.

UrbanRats

A common misconception, but Megameshes was not an engine, it was a technique for virtualizing geometry in a way similar to what id's Megatextures do for texture data (it's interesting to note that it might have been one of the things that influenced Durango's hardware design). It makes games look better, but it also speeds up development and makes artists' lives much easier. Perhaps it can also be implemented in UE4. Here we can see it running on the engine developed internally to Milo and Kate, but Lionhead has since switched for UE for their base technology. Of course, they'll build on top of that, EU is highly modular.

Interesting.
Did they ever use it this gen? Like on Fable Journey for example (or other Microsoft titles).
Also, are Lionhead first party to MS, or more like Quantic Dream, in relation to Sony?

Biggzy

Interesting.
Did they ever use it this gen? Like on Fable Journey for example (or other Microsoft titles).
Also, are Lionhead first party to MS, or more like Quantic Dream, in relation to Sony?

Lionhead are first party and I don't think Fable: TJ used mega meshes.

Raide

Fable MMO with character aging, being able to alter the world etc and grow trees? Sounds interesting. Maybe a Fable world and humor in an MMO could make it pretty unique.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lionhead has really gone downhill since Fable 2. With Molyneux gone I'm just not expecting anything great out of them anymore.

Interesting.

Lionhead are owned by Microsoft.

Edit: beaten.

Im personally not much of an MMO person, interested in Fable 4 and hopefully its more of a game with online connectivity than actually an MMO.

TheOddOne

He is the best at what he does.

Internet stalking.

I don't feel safe.
The call is coming from inside the house.

Possibility of Mega Meshes being shared with other first party developers? Or to put it anohter way, the engines that Microsoft's first party studios use will be incorporating it into them?
I get the impression that sharing tech has become a thing for MS, finally.

Raide

Lionhead has really gone downhill since Fable 2. With Molyneux gone I'm just not expecting anything great out of them anymore.

You never know, they might actually be more focused and able to produce without all the crazy time-sink ideas that kept popping up. Plus they won't have to worry about PR.

As much as Fable has been a rollercoaster of quality, I'd be looking forward to a next-gen version. At the very least I really love the world of Albion, and the franchise is flexible enough to let the developers be as creative as they want with new characters and story.

Raide

As much as Fable has been a rollercoaster of quality, I'd be looking forward to a next-gen version. At the very least I really love the world of Albion, and the franchise is flexible enough to let the developers be as creative as they want with new characters and story.

True! Really hoping they reboot it as Fable and try to do some impressive stuff with next-gen tech. I would like to see the good/evil and aging thing expanded on. I would like to see they go back to the old combat style where I get better as I use particular skills. Also stop making spells so stupidly powerful that it becomes easy to steamroll the game by casting AoE Fire over and over.

Top Bottom