• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of studios closed since 2006

trinest

CiNG... ;_;

They went from been unknown with a Japanese only release lineup consisting of Mobile games and one PS2 title to been at the top of their time with high profile point and click adventure DS games to releasing Again and falling off the face of the planet. :(

Speevy

Banned
Beep Industries was listed as closed by someone, but I saw that they're actually still open.

Swingin' Ape Studios is closed.

The difference is studios use to be able to handle a few flops before going under. Now they can't. It's blockbuster sales or bankruptcy, and that is not a sign of a healthy business model.

That's an issue with the Western market. You really don't see many Japanese developers attempting to compete with that model. They develop low or mid-range console titles (in terms of budget) and they also develop handheld titles. The lack of handheld titles from Western studios is something that really sticks out. When they do develop the titles they often just come across as being something that they really don't care about. Just look at most of UBI's titles from their major franchises.

Ah, I completely forgot about that.

Now that you've mentioned it, I remember that thread where Onq compared it to Wave Race or something, haha.

Here's another Home space from them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ii6HM4_uYY

I've worked for two of 'em. Well actually, you've not put SEGA Racing Studio on there and Bigbig is 2012, not 2011 (just saying)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm still hurting over Ensemble's closure.

But looking at the full picture in the form of a list, is a real eye opener. You can't possibly imagine how hard the industry has been hit until you see this in one place. And I wonder whether it'll go through a worse period, or if the worst part is over. Recovery, if even possible, is gonna be a bitch.

RIP middle dev class.

Speevy

Banned
I would like to see a list of studios opened since 2006 if you weren't including companies making $.99-$15 downloadable games.

Corto

Lots of great talent there. There should be a list of studios opened since 2006, just so we don't feel so depressed :(

That's really the silver lining here. Talent shifts from old studios to new ones to work on new projects, some go independent to work on personal projects and deliver new, original smaller games. But it certainly is depressing reading this list some people will eventually leave the industry altogether. Some IPs will be forever lost...

DGRE

Banned
Do publishers count? I mentioned Gamecock in the THQ thread. Technically bought out by Southpeak, it was basically a colossal waste of Southpeak's money and I think they're in trouble now.

duckroll

What about Microsoft Japan Studios? Shouldn't that also be counted? They shut down all their development offices there years ago. That's why Futatsugi eventually left.

Opiate

Much of this talent has been reconstituted in to social/portable gaming. I'd be more interested in knowing if there are more or less game development staff now than there was in 2006.

In other words, I can imagine that there are legitimately less people making games today, but I can also imagine that much of this is simply evidence of a slow migration away from consoles and towards other types of platforms.

duckroll

Only made Sword and Poker, so no one noticed except me and Wario because no one plays excellent iOS games.

Hey, Atlus localized Monster Kingdom! No one bought it, but it counts! I'm pretty sure literally no one played Coded Soul though, not even in Japan, which is probably why they died. Lol.

Mabase

Thanks for this list. I've actually wanted a list like that for quite some time now, just to visualize the brutality of this gens business side. Depressing to see.

That's an issue with the Western market. You really don't see many Japanese developers attempting to compete with that model. They develop low or mid-range console titles (in terms of budget) and they also develop handheld titles. The lack of handheld titles from Western studios is something that really sticks out. When they do develop the titles they often just come across as being something that they really don't care about. Just look at most of UBI's titles from their major franchises.

That's true. You'd think these Western studios would learn after so many studio shutterings, but...

Tiktaalik

It looks like a dire list, but it's an incomplete discussion without a list of newly formed studios and also acknowledging the rise of indie and iOS development. Social as well though I know GAF hates this.

duckroll

When discussing the Japanese market at large, I totally agree. It is much easier for the majority of lower-tier publishers and developers to stay alive with the usual low sales and staying at a lower tech level.

But let's not ignore the fact that climbing the tech ladder does impact several major Japanese developers (and their publishers). We're looking at reduced sales at the sales ceiling for each generation in Japan for all the major tech driven systems. The PSP has no million sellers other than the Monster Hunter Portable series. The PS3 has no million sellers other than FFXIII. Current Vita games are not even breaking 100k. Yet at the top end of the spectrum those games aren't costing less to make, but more.

Zoonami as well.

Shocked that KMM closed so quickly after becoming Krome's new home. What's left of Australia aside from the Fruit Ninja dev? Big Ant and Wicked Witch?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
well the guys from iron lore are now Crate Entertainment who got the rights to keep there titan quest engine and are making so Grim Dawn so i guess thats positive

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Much of this talent has been reconstituted in to social/portable gaming. I'd be more interested in knowing if there are more or less game development staff now than there was in 2006.

In other words, I can imagine that there are legitimately less people making games today, but I can also imagine that much of this is simply evidence of a slow migration away from consoles and towards other types of platforms.

Yeah, it's not uncommon that a traditional dev goes under and 4-5 splinter devs form from them.

Two examples:
GRiN -> Fatshark, Might and Delight, Trinity QA Studio, BitSquid engine
Ensemble -> Robot, Bonfire -> Zynga, Windstorm, Newtoy -> Zynga

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Need anymore evidence that the current developer/publisher model is broken?

A list of closures without a list of openings or total companies in the industry means less than nothing. You can't even tell what percentage that is that closed, or how that compares to any other time in the history of the industry, or how that compares to other entertainment industries.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Shocked that KMM closed so quickly after becoming Krome's new home.

KMM Sydney is still going. KMM Brisbane was formed purely to pick up Happy Feet 2.

What's left of Australia aside from the Fruit Ninja dev? Big Ant and Wicked Witch?

Krome is still doing something, though I don't know what or how big they actually are. They have been in a black box since late 2010.

Home Entertainment Suppliers is a Sydney based publisher that is propping up a bunch of the Australiasian industry with console sports titles (we've done some titles through them including Rugby Challenge most recently).

MMO tech company Big World is still going strong.

Firemint acquired Infinite Interactive, then got bought by EA. Iron Monkey got bought by EA. Rock You acquired 3 Blokes Studios.

Tantalus is still going with mobile and handheld stuff as usual I think. Torus is doing Leapster stuff mainly I think. Endgame Studios is ticking along.

Not sure what is happening with 2K and SEGA in Australia. There were some rumours of closures after finishing out the next couple of projects when THQ shut their stuff down, but I have no idea how valid those comments are and I don't know anyone in those studios.

Raoh

I wonder how long Zipper will last. While I don't want to see anyone out of a job, its not like zipper has been delivering their A game lately. MAG was ambitious but their success in delivering quality and compelling games has been low.

And sadly if they go down we will never see another socom game again. (then again that might be a good thing. The socom name would still be held in high regard if not for slant six's confrontation and zippers socom 4)

It would be interesting to see if they make it into playstations next generation.

Corto

Yeah, it's not uncommon that a traditional dev goes under and 4-5 splinter devs form from them.

Two examples:
GRiN -> Fatshark, Might and Delight, Trinity QA Studio, BitSquid engine
Ensemble -> Robot, Bonfire -> Zynga, Windstorm, Newtoy -> Zynga

Another one:

Pandemic -> Blendo Games (after checking this one, its foundation predates Pandemic demise. It was always a personal, one man project of Brendon Chung), Downsized Games, Seismic Games, Ntro (not really a game endeavour but a new social network project)

Another one:

Pandemic -> Blendo Games (after checking this one, its foundation predates Pandemic demise. It was always a personal, one man project of Brendon Chung), Downsized Games, Seismic Games, Ntro (not really a game endeavour but a new social network project)
While these are always nice to see, it's also goes the other way too: a company closes shop, and 5 splinter small indie startup happens, but it's highly doubtful that everyone gets back into these smaller groups either.

Hudson hit me like a ton of bricks...

Was hudson getting eaten/repurposed a bigger deal in Japan? It'd almost be like SEGA being bought by capcom and only making facebook games, but I haven't seen the western community caring very much...

It also seemed to come out of freaking nowhere.

When discussing the Japanese market at large, I totally agree. It is much easier for the majority of lower-tier publishers and developers to stay alive with the usual low sales and staying at a lower tech level.

But let's not ignore the fact that climbing the tech ladder does impact several major Japanese developers (and their publishers). We're looking at reduced sales at the sales ceiling for each generation in Japan for all the major tech driven systems. The PSP has no million sellers other than the Monster Hunter Portable series. The PS3 has no million sellers other than FFXIII. Current Vita games are not even breaking 100k. Yet at the top end of the spectrum those games aren't costing less to make, but more.

But are those the types of games that need to sell a million in order for the publisher/developer to do well? I look at something like Yakuza. Those games have never sold a million units and the mainline titles usually sell around 500k. That may seem like a low number compared to other major titles, but that's been enough for Sega to allow them to create their own studio. I can't imagine them doing that unless the sales were at a point where they're making a decent profit on the titles. You also have the Tales titles. I remember people saying that Xillia looked like a HD Wii title. And some even speculated that it was originally a Wii game that was turned into a PS3 title. So if it was a Wii title then that means that they managed to cut back on costs while creating the third best selling game in the franchise.

It just really doesn't seem like Japanese developers bet big on games that aren't surefire big sellers. Square's obviously going to put a lot of money into FF, DQ and KH because they know that they're going to sell millions. They took a shot at putting a large chunk of money into an unproven IP (TLR) earlier this gen, but it seems like they've backed off from doing that since then. Capcom has really been the only company that gambles a lot with unproven games and big budgets. They've done that with Dead Rising, Lost Planet and they're currently betting big on Dragon's Dogma. But they really seem to be the only one that's constantly willing to take that gamble.

Top Bottom