• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little details you appreciate in Horizon Zero Dawn (may contain spoilers)

vivekTO

Found this on reddit , a neat detail imo, if possible someone from here can replicate and confirm.

If you shoot off a Shell-Walker's container holder, but don't kill it, it will pick up and try to hold it on as it walks

KfefyqJ.jpg

a harpy

It was first pointed out by Shin-Ra in the Cinematic Trailer thread

KBBtIzy.gif

This is really cool! I always felt there was something about her mouth that made it look more realistic than I expected. I think it's just simply that it's imperfect.

The reflection in the eyes is really cool, too. Do we have multiple examples of this in-game? I wonder how realistic it actually is.

As seen in the skin pore pictures, I really like the soft rubbery lighting this game has. It unfortunately makes everyone's neck look a little weird.

What has really sold me on the graphics of this game are the animations. Some examples were posted in OP. It really makes it feel like I'm interacting with a world, not just creating cause and effect. A major take-away for me was the movement. In a game like Assassin's Creed or Witcher 3 (or many others), when you start to move forward, there is a little wind up animation for the walking, then the movement animation, and then a stopping animation. They do this so that the character looks more realistic moving. And it works... so long as you actually plan on moving. If you are just nudging yourself forward, it ends up looking very awkward. Then you have games like MGSV that favor precise movement. The animations are great there, too, but they they are only exactly what they need to be. It's hard not to be reminded you're playing a game when you play MGSV (I don't think this is bad - it just is what it is.)

Horizon seems to give the best of both worlds. Aloy feels incredibly responsive and, in my limited play time with the game (so many good games out right now...), I have had zero control issues. At the same time, she moves and interacts with the world so realistically. Even the infini-roll looks great despite being one of the most gamey things, because the end of that animation sets it up so that she can spring back up into standing, walking, running, or rolling again.

Anyway, it's hard to put into words because it's actually a thing that effects the game in a huge way, but I'm at work and can't make my own videos or go digging for any right now. I'm just really impressed with the way the game blends its animations with the controls.

CHC

Pretty sure Aloy closes one eye when aiming the bow.

Also nice how you can talk to most NPCs again after completing their quest for a couple extra lines of dialogue.

Rivers' currents also carry not only you, but anything that falls in as well.

If you trigger a stealth kill from further away than normal distance, Aloy does a low and wide swoop-step kind of thing to close the distance.

Also as my gif in the OP shows, you can do any height context-sensitive moves (drop attack, mount your overridden bot) directly from a rope slide without dropping first. So you can just hit R1 if you pass over an enemy while sliding and she'll let go and go right into the attack animation.

RedFury

Don't know if it was mentioned but you clothes actually changes dialog. You wear carja armor and people will mentioned it and depending where you are will say things like "Is that carja garb?, might have to keep an eye on her",etc. Walk with the same armor in front of hunters and they'll say things like "she wears carja colors but walks like a hunter". Blew my mind that that the NPCs actually comment on your appearance and characteristic. Wear heavy armor and they make comment like you look well equipped, etc.

dr guildo

This video has been made by taking "little" details in Zelda that play a full and central part in its gameplay, (so not so "little" as details, in the end) and compare this to details that don't play a role in HZD's gameplay...
This is quite unfair, because you can do exactly the same video by taking "little" details in HZD, playing a full and central part in its gameplay's mechanic and face them to Zelda with the very same results in favor of HZD,

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This video has been made by taking "little" details in Zelda that play a full and central part in its gameplay, (so not so "little" as details, in the end) and compare this to details that doesn't play a role in HZD's gameplay...
This is quite unfair, because you can do exactly the same video by taking "little" details in HZD, playing a full and central part in its gameplay's mechanic and face them to Zelda with the very same results in favor of HZD,
Although I'd rather not get in on this, I genuinely don't think this is very true, at least not for the majority of those comparisons. Stuff like climbing everything organically isn't a major proponent in HZD so stuff like that falls under what you're referring to but other than stuff like that Nintendo sincerely came up with as many solutions as humanly possible when it comes to what players might do. It seems more like a simulation of an world moreso than anything based on that. I sincerely wonder if there's a game out there with as many solutions and reactions from the world as BOTW currently. It's praiseworthy as hell. However, that user's post was really transparent, and should've been ignored instead of quoted over and over. :|

Something that really got me was that when I was in a valley on a mountain and started sliding down a bit, which I love that Aloy reacts reassuring herself or talking to herself in these situations, I feel that adds a lot of realism to it, but what actually got me was that the voice echoed. A fucking echo blew me away.

Unfortunately though this has the same problem that I also noticed quickly in Skyrim, small animals (I haven't seen the boat do it though) will walk on the bottom of the rivers presumably as they have no swim animation.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Unfortunately though this has the same problem that I also noticed quickly in Skyrim, small animals (I haven't seen the boat do it though) will walk on the bottom of the rivers presumably as they have no swim animation.

It was rather hilarious watching a fox run from me last night, and run underwater far longer than any real fox would have been able to breathe underwater.

KodaRuss

That is really damn cool about the shellwalker. Something about this game blows me away everytime I play it. I saw the priests doing the hymn when I was in Merdian last night. I heard it and was like what the hell. wow

WGMBY

In some battles, if you managed to down a robot, birds can swoop in and loot the resources off it.

I once attracted a Scrapper by not looting a downed Strider quickly enough. I was picking off some stragglers, and turned around to see the Scrapper tearing at the body and running off with my parts.

Oh yeah, I don't know if they do this anywhere else, but there is a specific location where a Stalker hides vertically on the face of a rock pillar. I thought that was damn cool for a stalking enemy, but haven't seen it done outside of that place.

Spoiler for the location if you are concerned:
the southern hunting ground outside of the sacred land, spurflints or something

kpaadet

Although I'd rather not get in on this, I genuinely don't think this is very true, at least not for the majority of those comparisons. Stuff like climbing everything organically isn't a major proponent in HZD so stuff like that falls under what you're referring to but other than stuff like that Nintendo sincerely came up with as many solutions as humanly possible when it comes to what players might do. It seems more like a simulation of an world moreso than anything based on that. I sincerely wonder if there's a game out there with as many solutions and reactions from the world as BOTW currently. It's praiseworthy as hell. However, that user's post was really transparent, and should've been ignored instead of quoted over and over. :|
It's good to see we have defenders of shit posters like you here, standing up for the trolls keep it up.

After sprinting for awhile or finishing a big fight, Aloys exhausted posture looks really realistic. Her shoulders slump forward, she clenches her chest, and as she catches her breath she has realistic heavy breathing facial animations (her cheeks actually fill with air).

I want to try and gif it whenever I get the chance if someone else doesn't.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's good to see we have defenders of shit posters like you here, standing up for the trolls keep it up.
At what point did I defend that poster? How is this not succinct and clear?

However, that user's post was really transparent, and should've been ignored instead of quoted over and over.

eizarus

Banned
The character collision models work in sync with the animal behavioural patterns. I had an incident where a grazer ran into my broadhead. As my broadhead scrambled back up, it ducked its head so that it doesn't accidentally headbutt the grazer while trying to get out of its attack range.
I'll post a gif of it when I get home.

pixelbox

Anybody noticed when it rains the surface of bodies of water gets distorted. Also when windy particles like smoke and sparks will be carried by it.

KZObsessed

Found this on reddit , a neat detail imo, if possible someone from here can replicate and confirm.

That's pretty fucking incredible if true. I have to try that.

My favourite details so far are some of the behaviours and collisions.

1. Glinthawks fly down and collect the carcasses of other dead robots.

2. You can shoot a Sawtooth in one leg causing it to limp like a wounded animal for the rest of the fight.

3. Two charging robots can actually collide with each other instead of you.

4. Robots can knock piles of logs loose and be crushed by them. Happened to me with a corruptor.

5. The fact that you can shoot off nearly every part of the robots exoskeletons and either loot them or use them against it. eg disc launchers.

To me they're small details but important ones. Ones that really affect the gameplay. Guerrilla really focused on the combat and the enemy robots specifically. The human combat is pretty standard but against the robots it can't be beat.

Kyne

I gotta call the devs on this... there is no reason why the ants are bringing the leaves back up the tree, it should be down only...

the ants were so afraid of humans destroying the earth that they evolved in the future and decided to build trees.

Wozman23

I swear once while exiting some water I saw a few minnows jump, but I never saw it happen again.

I was also really impressed by the tree destructibility - which happened early on when I was fighting a smaller machine - and the way Aloy pivots atop a mount.

The random insects are a nice touch as well, but I was expectedly disappointed when I tried to shoot a dragonfly. Another time, a nice Photo Mode shot was photobombed by a flying beetle.

After a little more thought, the first time dialogue echoed due to a closed space was pretty cool. I believe I was just in a tight canyon-like area, so it wasn't just utilized in caves and completely closed spaces.

When you're a kid and following Rost around, every once in a while Aloy will add a little skip to her step. It's subtle and doesn't feel like it's some canned animation. That was just the first little detail that really stuck out to me. 60 hours in and they're far to numerous to name.

Comandr

Having recently completed Horizon, I have to say, it was an absolutely incredible game. The detail to everything was astonishing.

Two moments that really stand out to me were: Quickly descending a steep mountain, Aloy seemed to wobble a bit and threw her arms out to balance. I was really astonished by how natural this animation looked and felt. I'd only seen it a handful of times in my playthrough.

Aloy's voice echoing in a valley. This one got me.

My biggest complaint is Aloy's somewhat unremarkable facial animation during gameplay. When she is idling and kind of looking around, she moves her whole head to look around, but her eyes look dead straight out. Looks lame considering she moves her eyes realistically during conversation. Also regarding her eyes, she only ever looks straight forward during actions, which makes taking cool photos kind of lame.

Derp. Where ya lookin', girl? These two things always make her feel sort of doll-like to me when you really look closely at her. Really wish they would fix this for screenshots. Because this game deserves to be shown off.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Derp. Where ya lookin', girl? These two things always make her feel sort of doll-like to me when you really look closely at her. Really wish they would fix this for screenshots. Because this game deserves to be shown off.

She's smiling for the camera.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
One lack of detail that does annoy me: why is the moon always full? :p
Two moments that really stand out to me were: Quickly descending a steep mountain, Aloy seemed to wobble a bit and threw her arms out to balance.
She'll also occasionally something like "might regret this...!" or "ouch!" if you slide down abruptly.

Aloy's voice echoing in a valley. This one got me.
I got that last night, playing with headphones. That was so cool.

Top Bottom