• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little details you appreciate in Horizon Zero Dawn (may contain spoilers)

Butterfly:

33239624892_71cebf6be7_o.png

it's likely a completely different system, as wind physics can be precalculated in a way that player movement cannot

Maybe but the weather system and clouds are completely dynamic so they are random and different everytime and not scripted meaning you see the same results each time you enter the same location, so the leaves interacting with the wind aren't 100% precalculated. You know when a dyanmic physics system exists, it can be applied to anything. There must be a reason for that. Who knows. Maybe Death Stranding will have foliage interaction using the same engine since Kojima is fond of such details and also many open world games did it even FFXV so it is not something out of reach. Kojima Productions may use the shader method of Naughty Dog as he visited all ther studios and I am sure the studio can borrow their tech or at least use their own tech seeing that Fox Engine allowed foliage interaction in MGS5.

You know, like I said in my previous post, there is more going on with the trees, rocks, cactuses, shacks real-time destruction, truncs' physics in OP and even Aloy's hair than just few leaves moving when touched.

David___

Banned
The game shows you the highest rarity of loot dropped from an enemy in the little icon above the corpse. Such a simple thing that makes a world of a difference if youre looking for a certain mat.

Rather than block you from doing sidequests by causing them to disappear if you've advanced too far into the main story, the dialogue is adjusted to take into account what you've done even before the final quest.

firelogic

You know what's overlooked? The menu system. I absolutely love how the highlighted thing is still highlighted even if you scroll left and right to other categories and come back.

I love how if you're crouched and you jump or walk off a ledge, you're still crouching.

I love the 3D map that clearly shows elevations.

Radec

You know what's overlooked? The menu system. I absolutely love how the highlighted thing is still highlighted even if you scroll left and right to other categories and come back.

I love how if you're crouched and you jump or walk off a ledge, you're still crouching.

I love the 3D map that clearly shows elevations.

3D map was great.

leng jai

The game shows you the highest rarity of loot dropped from an enemy in the little icon above the corpse. Such a simple thing that makes a world of a difference if youre looking for a certain mat.

Except when you kill a rat/turkey/boar/fish with a blue icon and it turns out to be some useless ancient relic instead of a skin.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
TejoF6E.gif

Spear animations.
The animation is great but they chose the worst effect possible for the swiping, the timing is really off and it looks really....cheap compared to the movement of the character.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I noticed earlier when I was playing that foliage reacts to explosions, which makes it pretty odd that it doesn't react to player movement.

dr guildo

I noticed earlier when I was playing that foliage reacts to explosions, which makes it pretty odd that it doesn't react to player movement.

I think GG should add foliage reacting to Aloy at least on Pro if it is too demanding for the OG PS4.
Same thing for the water...

EGM1966

Aloy's voice echoes when she talks to herself in mountain tops. Lovely little touch.

I like how when you manuals save the oldest save file is auto selected for you - the logical option.

I like a lot of the idle animations - Aloy and Machines.

firelogic

I also like the burning effect on machines. They look like they're in genuine pain and the fire looks awesome. Really cool that the carcass continues to burn after it's dead. Same with the freeze effect. Nice that it doesn't immediately go away at death.

The sound effects of a piercing arrow hitting a frozen enemy sounds like Aloy used a high-speed harpoon.

The machine death animations with all the metal pieces flying off and sparks coupled with that wailing powering down sound effect is great as well.

I'm absolutely in love with this game.

I think GG should add foliage reacting to Aloy at least on Pro if it is too demanding for the OG PS4.
Same thing for the water...

True especially if they confirmed they didn't use the PS4 PRO fully and if the game was built from the ground up on PS4 PRO, we would see wonders. This game was built with the only the PS4 in mind and the PRO came later. The assets were done and couldn't be improved more. Only IQ and few other easy things could be improved on the PRO. I hope their sequel and Death Stranding will be based on PS4 PRO and take advantage of it, then it should be easier to scale it down on PS4 and not the opposite.

Exquisik

I like how when you go for a swim in the lake/river after a long period of time on land, Aloy says "Ah, that was refreshing." But she doesn't say that if you've been swimming too often.

Glassboy

The animation is great but they chose the worst effect possible for the swiping, the timing is really off and it looks really....cheap compared to the movement of the character.
It really does. I feel like I haven't really noticed the animation because swipe effect looks so cheap. The water splashes are especially distracting if only because the rest of the game looks so good. Definitely the best looking game at the moment imo

Venture

Right before I was ambushed on the road by bandits I noticed they were communicating to each other with bird calls.

Lots of great little details in the animation. These are a couple I was going to point out.
- Aloy raising her hands above tall grass like Gladiator.

- Aloy shifting her balance depending on the plane she's standing on.
In particular I love how she uses her hands to climb when running up a steep slope.

joesiv

Read what I said. Physics are already here for wind interaction. the foliage doesn't stay static or stiff when exposed to weather conditions. All the foliage moves. Now a little push for one leaf or few more from one character won't do any harm.
The water is another story though, still there are some nice movements in the DigitalFoundry tech analysis video which shows great water behaviour in some instances.
i take it your a computer engineer? :)

from what i understand, weather simulations are easier to do on a mass scale than physical interaction. think of all the foliage as strands of hair. calculating soft body simulations for every strand isn't practical. this is also why hair simulations give great physics for movement but can have poor clipping on shoulders and necks. you can add rigid exclude forces without too much performance penalty but to get the npc to brush their fingers realistically through the hair is not practical yet on current hardware.

the foliage is the same. there is no collision boddies, just physics simulations akin to partical movements. "a little push" that looks convincing isn't just a small addition.

joesiv

Derp. Where ya lookin', girl? These two things always make her feel sort of doll-like to me when you really look closely at her. Really wish they would fix this for screenshots. Because this game deserves to be shown off.
The no look shots are a sign of a skilled markswomen!

firelogic

This isn't really a little detail but sometimes while she's climbing, she'll spin and launch herself off a ledge to get to another one. I think it looks awesome.

Something I thought was happening but wasn't (and maybe GG should patch in) was my controller was dying and when I checked photomode the focus device was showing two dots, I wasn't sure if this was controller battery level, unfortunately when I changed controller it stayed the same. Get on it GG!

I've been playing shooters for a while and I don't play them with vibration, but I decided to turn it on for Horizon and I'm really glad I did.

The game feels great with all the subtle feedback vibrations, from the draw of an arrow, to the thud of a fall from a ledge, to the rumbling of a Tallneck as it walks right by. The game really comes alive with these sensations. The only downside of course is that the dualshocks battery life is ass, so I have to keep my controller plugged in. But I can't imagine playing the game without it.

pixelbox

i take it your a computer engineer? :)

from what i understand, weather simulations are easier to do on a mass scale than physical interaction. think of all the foliage as strands of hair. calculating soft body simulations for every strand isn't practical. this is also why hair simulations give great physics for movement but can have poor clipping on shoulders and necks. you can add rigid exclude forces without too much performance penalty but to get the npc to brush their fingers realistically through the hair is not practical yet on current hardware.

the foliage is the same. there is no collision boddies, just physics simulations akin to partical movements. "a little push" that looks convincing isn't just a small addition.
Funny this is explosions moves all foliage. Use the tear blast ammo.

Wollan

It seems to use the same physics impulse system that was present in Killzone Shadowfall (using GPU Compute).

Anarion07

I don't know if other games did this before (probably yes), but I like the fact that you dont have to triangle-mount your mount. You can just jump on it and she will sit down

PulseONE

I like that if you kill a frozen enemy and go up to their corpse, you can still hear the metal crackling from the sudden change in temperature, like when you take a frozen drink out of the freezer

Also after doing any kind of strenuous activity (lots of running/climbing etc) if you stop moving Aloy will breathe heavily for a while to catch her breath, the length of which seems to depend on how long you were going for

Oneself

I like how Aloy covers herself from strong winds and rain. It's done in realtime and depends on the force of the wind/rain and direction.

Top Bottom