• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little signs you're getting older....

BlackTron

I won’t do yoga I think, but I will start stretches and some type of workout (resistance bands or kettle bells plus I have to walk. I just love walking )

Because otherwise I don’t really move much.

I use a resistance band actually kept near my main desk. Sometimes I'll even use it while sitting in the same spot, like between gaming matches, to stave off that "your limbs are dying sitting here" feeling.

Gotta say I'm really glad I took a yoga class 20 years ago. I rarely spend a long time doing a "session" but if I feel like I need to stretch I'll do it by dropping a yoga pose and maybe switching between a few. Taking between a few seconds and a few minutes. Kind of stuff you do during ads, waiting for food to heat up, whatever. It adds up to a LOT better than nothing before you commit any extra time (which you should still do). For me it's like the difference between feeling like I have rigor mortis at the end of the day.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I use a resistance band actually kept near my main desk. Sometimes I'll even use it while sitting in the same spot, like between gaming matches, to stave off that "your limbs are dying sitting here" feeling.

Gotta say I'm really glad I took a yoga class 20 years ago. I rarely spend a long time doing a "session" but if I feel like I need to stretch I'll do it by dropping a yoga pose and maybe switching between a few. Taking between a few seconds and a few minutes. Kind of stuff you do during ads, waiting for food to heat up, whatever. It adds up to a LOT better than nothing before you commit any extra time (which you should still do). For me it's like the difference between feeling like I have rigor mortis at the end of the day.
I did take yoga once. I spent the whole time perving at the women thinking how yoga was made up for sex purposes and resisting the urge to scream out yoga fire yoga flame. Maybe DDP might be the yoga for me.

My other I’m getting older thing is im slowly in starting to realise I don’t need an opinion about everything (politics, world events etc) and sometimes with thing like games lists or movies. People’s choices are valid for them.

Except that there are two alien movies and two terminator films and if you like godfather 3 you are wrong. Apart from that. You do you it’s your choice it’s valid.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I did take yoga once. I spent the whole time perving at the women thinking how yoga was made up for sex purposes and resisting the urge to scream out yoga fire yoga flame. Maybe DDP might be the yoga for me.

LMAO. Yeah my yoga class was full of hot women. Usually I was the only guy. After the initial shock, I spent most time with my eyes closed and if they were open, looking dead straight focused totally on my yoga.

Consequently people started talking to me after class. Instructor even walked right up to me and gave me a big hug after I missed a session. I did absolutely nothing but show up to do yoga and make sure every time someone looked at me, I wasn't looking at someone else's ass. NGL it was an enormous challenge but successful social experiment.

Shit, maybe I should take a yoga class again. Walk in smiling ready for all that spandex and it ends up being full of old people. Maybe all from this thread. This should be a movie.

Majormaxxx

LMAO. Yeah my yoga class was full of hot women. Usually I was the only guy. After the initial shock, I spent most time with my eyes closed and if they were open, looking dead straight focused totally on my yoga.

Consequently people started talking to me after class. Instructor even walked right up to me and gave me a big hug after I missed a session. I did absolutely nothing but show up to do yoga and make sure every time someone looked at me, I wasn't looking at someone else's ass. NGL it was an enormous challenge but successful social experiment.

Shit, maybe I should take a yoga class again. Walk in smiling ready for all that spandex and it ends up being full of old people. Maybe all from this thread. This should be a movie.
I used to work as a personal trainer at a gym, but for me I prefer to train alone at home or at private gyms with friends.

That said, a yoga class sounds enticing!

Laptop1991

Looking in the mirror then at old photos sort of gives it away a bit, and i look better and younger in the photo's.

Billbofet

Being really affected by what I eat after decades of having an iron gut. Had friends over the other day and also realized my best stories about being fun and spontaneous are usually over ten or more years old.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I can’t get drunk like I used to. What was once a mild hangover now takes me a full day to recover from
It takes me around four :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The crap thing is I don't get overly drunk anymore, I can drink and drink and not much happens. I'm not an alcoholic either, far from it. The wife and I will have a drink, I'll drink a bit more than her, act a bit silly (Not in a horrible way) go to bed.. BANG, you died for four days..

It's crap.

Another thing of getting old. Aching.

Wake up, ache. Go to bed, ache.

I've decided to make a few changes in the next few days. Should be fun :messenger_neutral:

Cyberpunkd

Youtube No GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Also if you wake up with a sore neck frequently, try sleeping without a pillow.
Or sleep on your back instead of your side.

Brigandier

Making noises like your grandad used to when he sat down or got up!!!

Clicking cracking joints

Sporting injuries taking 6 months to heal rather than 6 days

Picking up common colds more frequently

Talking about how you can't believe how dark the nights are getting when it's obvious that it's because it's approaching autumn 🤣

Games/music/life was better when "I was a lad" I'm guilty of this... 🤣

2-3 day hang overs

Needing V pills sometimes

Needing a piss all the time

Sooooo many more!!!

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Trying to workout how old people are in movies. Thinking I look younger. Especially true with 80’s and 90’s movie’s

Watching old movies and being sympathetic to any character that doesn’t want to be dragged Into the main characters zany antics.

Watching home alone wondering how they can afford that house.

Thinking the 90’s were like five years ago right.

Trying not to eat like a teenager/young guy but still doing it. Realising it takes longer to lose weight now.

9/10 maybe 11 o’clock are great times for bed but for straying out late, no way. lol.

Needing to piss more at night but also having a piss stream that is mild and being jealous of those younger who sound like they are pissing like a horse.

Neck aches from sleeping funny.

Realising I might have been alive for longer than I have left.

I love naps

I don’t drink or smoke and get mistaken for late thirties for age when I’m actually 46 which is nice. I shave my beard off and it’s a lot younger.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What are the little things you now do that make you realise you're an old bastard?

1. Heading straight for the pralines in a chocolate box
2. Watching mystery TV adaptions from Agatha Christie
3. All your favourite sports players are now whoring themselves out to commentary teams with their puffy faces
4. Your pee comes in two or three installments during the same visit
5. You go to bed fine and wake up with a sore neck

How old are you daddy?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well I've lived like a decade+ more or less semi solitary so I missed a lot which makes me feel younger then I am. I'm not though.

Old man noises
Going to bed earlier
Total disconnect from current trends/media
More wise and appreciative in general.
Giving less shit about various shit in general.
That salt & pepper hair/beard.
More relaxed regarding my behaviour in social scenarios.

Romulus

I recently went to a 20 year HS reunion. I had 6-7 comment that i haven't aged, one person even mentioned it was freakish to him. Of course he smokes and drinks.

But the one thing that has really changed is my energy. At 11pm I'm typically crashing and can't keep my eyes open I'm so tired. That never happened until 2 years ago.

Other than that, I'm 2-3x stronger than I was in HS with better cardio and the same size waist.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Looking at the younger generation and wanting to just slap them for being so idiotic yet being fully aware it's probably all me
I’m also jealous about missing that spark they have the one where you are so full of it they take on the world type mentality. Nowadays ki just want to be in bed by 11 pm latest.

Tams

My other I’m getting older thing is im slowly in starting to realise I don’t need an opinion about everything (politics, world events etc) and sometimes with thing like games lists or movies. People’s choices are valid for them.

Except that there are two alien movies and two terminator films and if you like godfather 3 you are wrong. Apart from that. You do you it’s your choice it’s valid.

I wish I'd taken up yoga in Japan.

Man, all those MILFs... I mean poses!... I could have done...

Goddamn.

Some of ya'll sound like you are aging like shit. I'm actually healthier now than I was 10 years ago and I'm closer to 40 than 30.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For me, it was this boxing week. Now, to be clear, I do pretty well and we get pretty much anything we need whenever we want it however we are not flashy people and don’t waste money.

That being said, when we were walking through the mall, the level of vulgar, decadence in the clothing ( on display and being worn) blew my mind. I literally was shocked. I avoid shopping malls so this is probably nothing new but it certainly bothered me. It felt like the dying grasps of a society to me…

poodaddy

The realization that almost all of my daughter's teachers are younger than me.

I'm younger than the principals and senior administrators though, typically speaking, so there's that. I suppose that makes me comfortably middle aged :/

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
- Groaning when you stand up

- Looking forward to a nap

- Complaining about new music

- Doggedly insisting that older music is better (and be right about it btw)

- Being annoyed with technology

- Getting grumpy when the kids playing outside or across the street are being loud

- Getting upset that other drivers are going way faster than you

cormack12

Gold Member
I feel pretty good for my age. I look pretty good as well.

No complaints.

How old are you daddy?
42 my good sir. Truth be told, I'm in decent shape really. But as another year rolls by, sports injuries take longer to heal, my recovery from the gym is longer. I'm aware of more thing I do now my younger self never did. Just a weird time. I guess I'm right on track for my mid life crisis in another decade at least.

When I started seeing characters in movies that I watched growing up and thought "Damn... that right there is a grown ass man". And then realizing the actors were younger than I am now when they played those roles.

I.e. Bruce Willis was 33 in Die Hard and Russel Crowe was 35 in Gladiator. Im 39.

Fuckin hell.
This you?

I can't last more than an hour playing videogames; so instead, I watch a playthrough on YouTube so I can vicariously play it through the player without the extra steps.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
42 my good sir. Truth be told, I'm in decent shape really. But as another year rolls by, sports injuries take longer to heal, my recovery from the gym is longer. I'm aware of more thing I do now my younger self never did. Just a weird time. I guess I'm right on track for my mid life crisis in another decade at least.

Same here sir. 41 but we're surfing that same wave. Let us go with the flow and have a good ride in the meanwhile!

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I was always judgmental, towards people both old and young. But the new level of contempt I have for today’s teens and 20- somethings is on another level. Seeing some of them working and thinking that that passes as working irks me physically. The sheer ignorance of people younger than me is also stupefying. I have two coworkers going for 30 that looked at me like I was an alien sorcerer when I used a physical map to know where to go one day.
I know this is something every generation experiences when getting older, but it’s still awful. Hard to shake the feeling that those damn youths aren’t inferior and that they aren‘t the doom of civilization.

Headaches, digestive problems, and a general stiffness that I always had but only got worse in time, these are my main physical ailments. I used to be able to fall asleep in places and positions only cats should, I can’t anymore. My poor vision isn’t improving, too, and hair loss, while slow, is now to a point where I can’t look at a full head of hair without a pang of envy.

I’m not doing as bad as it may sound, though. I can pull an all-nighter without having to sleep through the following day. I don’t suffer from hangovers, even if I rarely drink that much. I don’t have chronic or recurring pain, except the occasional headache. I rarely get a fever or come down with the flu. And my metabolism still hasn’t shifted to that dreadful mode where you have to constantly watch what you’re eating or else.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Another sign you're getting older... Was out for an Indian last night with a load of mates to commiserate me turning 50, afterwards we where going to hit a bar but decided it would be too loud/can't talk and besides I had a load of beers in the house, so came back to mine, got drunk and everyone left by 11:30 (granted that's when the non drinkers gave up listening to us lot) years ago we would've hit a bar/club and partied to the early hours..

Later this evening we'll be just having a quiet new year's and probably in bed shortly after 12

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ahh yes. I totally forgot: eyesight.

Been wearing reading glasses for about almost 2 years now.

From +1 to +1.5 now. When I'm rested my eyes function slightly better but yeah.

dave_d

Well and that there's only 1 Matrix movie. (You forgot to mention that.)

dave_d

When you're talking to a group of 8 people and none of them have seen movie Aliens, nor Predator, and have never even heard of Max Headroom.
Or talking to someone that says he loves comedies and he hasn't seen Airplane, the Blues Brothers, or The Jerk.(There were just a ton of good comedies he hadn't seen because he hadn't seen anything before the 90s.)

Top Bottom