• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

I was about to trade this game in today to get killzone 2, but played this and couldnt trade the game in, so I parted ways with skate 2 instead

Teknoman

Outtrigger888 said:
I was about to trade this game in today to get killzone 2, but played this and couldnt trade the game in, so I parted ways with skate 2 instead

Gotta keep LBP and gotta get KZ2. Good call :D

Orz, I'm not sure why but the key in my stage used to have your level name but now when I pick it up it just says "Level Key" without the name. Is it because when you republished your levels in the new slot it rendered these keys useless? If this is the case you have to mail me a new Base 1 key, and Ryanardo a new Waterfall Key. This also might apply to you in regards to Ryanardo's key for Waterfall since he also republished today. Hopefully we sort it out by tomorrow.

Also, a friend of mine is whipping up a Contra PS3 boxart for us at some point tonight. Should I make a new launch thread with it as the OP or just edit this thread in with it?

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
Orz, I'm not sure why but the key in my stage used to have your level name but now when I pick it up it just says "Level Key" without the name. Is it because when you republished your levels in the new slot it rendered these keys useless? If this is the case you have to mail me a new Base 1 key, and Ryanardo a new Waterfall Key. This also might apply to you in regards to Ryanardo's key for Waterfall since he also republished today. Hopefully we sort it out by tomorrow.

I only had a short time this morning, so I mailed both Base keys to you. I don't have Ryanardo on my friends list for whatever reason I think. If you could forward the Base 2 key onto him I'd appreciate it. I'll incorporate the newest Waterfall key ASAP as well.

Also, both Base levels made it to the later Cool Levels pages! I never thought that would happen. Opinion seems split on if they're good or not, but that's fine. As long as you guys like em, I'm more or less content.

Orz

I'll speak to a few issues with the Base levels now.

MisterAnderson said:
I did run into a couple of "glitches" though during my last playthrough. Sometimes when the next screen would appear, the bullets would fire as the pistons would drop them into place. The added velocity of the piston movement would basically make the bullets un-dodgable and they would basically be a cheap hit on the player. This also happened to me with the rollers once.

The wall sections aren't on pistons. They free-fall down a chute into position. On rare occasions, it will hit the stop point at the exact moment a bullet spawns. For whatever reason, their velocities are added and the bullet becomes more or less undodgeable. Without a major, major structural overhaul of the delivery mechanism, I can't fix that.

MisterAnderson said:
Another issue was that I somehow got out of the box and while I still had control of the Contra avatar, when I eventually died the electricity thing couldn't get to me and kill me to send me to the game over screen.

This should be *mostly* fixed now. It's probably still remotely possible to happen. I've seen the occasional, rare, odd glitch that I could never recreate.

MisterAnderson said:
Aside from those issues everything else ran without a hitch, but there are some areas that could use a little polish. I'm sure you are aware that when the boss screen comes up there are a lot of mag switches visible and it just comes off as a little unpolished.

Fixed on Base 1, and will do on Base 2 shortly.

MisterAnderson said:
Also, as difficult I'm sure it was to make the new transition effect (and as good as they look), if there was some way to hide the pistons better that would probably sell it a little more.

I tried zero-length pistons to hide them, but it would crush itself or break apart violently.

MisterAnderson said:
Another nitpick is that the track under the Contra avatar could probably be hidden better, as it is right now you can kind of see the sackboy moving around down there and it would be more convincing if the workings of the track were hidden.

The problem is there has to be that tiny, tiny gap so the Player 1 avatar on the frontmost thin plane can move properly while connected to the Player 1 trolley on the frontmost thick plane. If I narrow the gap any more to try and hide the workings behind the front layer, Player 1 can't move properly.

fernoca

Just to say...Congratulations, on such amazing achievement to all of you. :p
Even though I'm not a big fan of Contra games, I've played most of them since the NES days, and seeing how close to the originals you all managed to make the levels, from the level design, to the bosses, to the "OMFG, fuck you Contra" feeling...keep the great work! :)

P.S.
I always loved Ryanardo's God of War level, so was really excited to play his Contra stage..and it didn't dissapointed! Going to start looking for and playing levels created by the rest of the gang (Leonidas, Beefo, Anderson, etc..).. :p

Orz said:
I only had a short time this morning, so I mailed both Base keys to you. I don't have Ryanardo on my friends list for whatever reason I think. If you could forward the Base 2 key onto him I'd appreciate it. I'll incorporate the newest Waterfall key ASAP as well.

Also, both Base levels made it to the later Cool Levels pages! I never thought that would happen. Opinion seems split on if they're good or not, but that's fine. As long as you guys like em, I'm more or less content.

Thanks for mailing me the keys, I'll send the key to Ryanardo as soon as I log on in a few miutes, and congratz on the cool pages :) I think it's only a matter of time before all of us are on page 1-3.

Regarding the issues you addressed, I didn't realize the track need to be visible for the cart to move back and forth, so with that in mind it's no problem, heh. That's a shame that the emitters have a chance of firing off at the perfect timing as the wall is dropped down, but like you said an entire overhaul is definitely not worth it, and thanks for hiding the switches!

You should be proud of the base levels. You've done a great job making what many people didn't think was possible, and a big part of the praise we have been getting is due to that fact after they watch the trailer. I'm sure you've noticed by now that many of the articles mention the base stages in such a way that they are in awe of the fact that we didn't leave them out, and if it wasn't for you I highly doubt we would have had them remotely close to the Contra bases.

fernoca said:
Just to say...Congratulations, on such amazing achievement to all of you. :p
Even though I'm not a big fan of Contra games, I've played most of them since the NES days, and seeing how close to the originals you all managed to make the levels, from the level design, to the bosses, to the "OMFG, fuck you Contra" feeling...keep the great work! :)

P.S.
I always loved Ryanardo's God of War level, so was really excited to play his Contra stage..and it didn't dissapointed! Going to start looking for and playing levels created by the rest of the gang (Leonidas, Beefo, Anderson, etc..).. :p

Thanks man, it's nice of you to say. And yeah Ryanardo's GoW stage is really fun. It's a shame that the other one is on the cool pages and his isn't, but with the new system in place I'm fairly confident that if he republished his level that it would find it's way up there.

Everyone would really appreciate it if you did play everyone else's stages for sure. Unfortunately I don't have any other ones, Jungle is my first. Hopefully I won't take too long of a break and tackle something soon! :) (Also, I am Leonidas2123 by the way - just to clear up any confusion since you mentioned both Anderson and Leo as two different people, heh)

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
You should be proud of the base levels. You've done a great job making what many people didn't think was possible, and a big part of the praise we have been getting is due to that fact after they watch the trailer. I'm sure you've noticed by now that many of the articles mention the base stages in such a way that they are in awe of the fact that we didn't leave them out, and if it wasn't for you I highly doubt we would have had them remotely close to the Contra bases.

If anyone's really interested in the wacky mechanisms I came up with, I can do a little 'behind the scenes tour' either on here, or through a level.

templeusox said:
Is there a download link for the mp3 on the YT video?

It's on the bottom of the multimedia section of the Contra HQ website I believe

Orz said:
If anyone's really interested in the wacky mechanisms I came up with, I can do a little 'behind the scenes tour' either on here, or through a level.

That would be pretty cool man, but you might wanna wait until all the high fiving dies down some more so that you don't go to all that effort to show your cool work only to have it swamped in a sea of "congratz" and "HOLY SHITS" :lol

But whenever you do post it I'll be sure to place it in the OP so, yeah dude, if you are up for it that'd be great. If you can pry your roommate off of Killzone 2, that is, lol.

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
Teknoman, you should include a link to this thread in the YouTube video I think.

Got it. Also the only thing that sucks about having high traffic is that...now my profile is getting spammed with those "SEXY GRLS WAN U!" style comments :lol

SamBishop

Banned
Jaeyden said:
I'd gladly have beers with you sir!

So long as you don't mind drinking 'em all yourself (I, sadly, don't drink anymore), just name what kind you like and when you're gonna be in the city (unless you already are, in which case, name the bar/place/time and you got it -- my vote goes to Zeitgeist for sheer awesomeness) and it's on like Donkey Kong! Funds allowing, this offer is extended to all you guys that busted this out ad infinitum until everyone's gotten their suds!

SamBishop said:
So long as you don't mind drinking 'em all yourself (I, sadly, don't drink anymore), just name what kind you like and when you're gonna be in the city (unless you already are, in which case, name the bar/place/time and you got it -- my vote goes to Zeitgeist for sheer awesomeness) and it's on like Donkey Kong! Funds allowing, this offer is extended to all you guys that busted this out ad infinitum until everyone's gotten their suds!

Sounds good dude, and thanks! Unfortunately I doubt I will be around that area anytime in the near future...but if ever I am I'll let you know :p

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
Got it. Also the only thing that sucks about having high traffic is that...now my profile is getting spammed with those "SEXY GRLS WAN U!" style comments :lol
I meant link in the description. Annotations can't be copy+pasted afaik.

Ronabo

Wow @ the trailer! I love Contra.

If I had a PS3 guys I'd buy the game just to play your hard work and effort.

Good job!

So guys, great news, all of our stages (awaiting Donkey Show to release, hopefully soon) have made a permanent home on the cool pages! It's only a matter of time before they all make it to page 1-3, since we are all on 1-6 as of this writing (as of the last time I checked more like...which was about an hour ago, heh)

Anyway, Donkey Show how close are you to being ready? I realize you might have replied to my message on PSN by now but I am unable to check at the time. Hopefully it's up soon!

samratty

I think I'll be trying these out at my friends today. Looks like great work guys, can't wait to play em!
Hopefully they'll be further projects like this in the future

Lee N

Membre
MisterAnderson said:
Man...it would be so damn awesome if we each got one of those crowns MM said they would be giving out.
They're not gonna give you a crown for copyright infringement. If anything they'll remove the Contra levels.

That said, I'm amazed by what you guys have done with it - and I'm sure the people over at Media Molecule are as well. But they can't reward that kind of behaviour, they just can't.

Lee N said:
They're not gonna give you a crown for copyright infringement. If anything they'll remove the Contra levels.

That said, I'm amazed by what you guys have done with it - and I'm sure the people over at Media Molecule are as well. But they can't reward that kind of behaviour, they just can't.

Considering that Media Molecule has been reported commenting on a blog about us saying: “we just watched and played Contra LBP levels and trailer in the Mm office while chugging beer and cheering smile :)" I'd say we have at least a chance.

Edit: Not to mention they announced the new ways of getting the crown a day after we launched. :lol

Lee N

Membre
That does come off as a bit strange, and it could come back and bite them in the ass should Konami decide to contact them about it.

Before they blogged about it there was always plausible deniability, they could've said that they were unaware of it and simply remove it when Konami asks them to. Now they can't, it's an inconvenience for them.

Orz

Lee N said:
That does come off as a bit strange, and it could come back and bite them in the ass should Konami decide to contact them about it.

Before they blogged about it there was always plausible deniability, they could've said that they were unaware of it and simply remove it when Konami asks them to. Now they can't, it's an inconvenience for them.

Like I said earlier, the fact that Konami has released a MGS pack and actively encouraged manipulation of that property could be seen as tacit permission to tackle other Konami properties. Whatever the case, I'm just glad some people are playing our levels now. I'm not too hung up on trophies or media recognition, but all the good press we've been getting is nice.

Wow. You guys are just incredible. Seriously. When I frist saw the thread I didn't think it would really happen. Most of these types of things don't pan out, but damn did you guys deliver.

Lee N

Membre
Orz said:
the fact that Konami has released a MGS pack and actively encouraged manipulation of that property could be seen as tacit permission to tackle other Konami properties.
It doesn't work like that. If someone gives you a cookie, you don't take the full jar.

First of all, Kojima Productions is a separate entity inside Konami, they don't have anything do do with Contra. And secondly, if Konami wanted to release a Contra pack they would do so. They don't want others to do it for free.

It's up to Konami to decide whether or not Contra should be in Little Big Planet, it's not up to you or me - or even Media Molecule. And it is a bit stupid of them to welcome that kind of stuff on the service.

Lee N said:
It doesn't work like that. If someone gives you a cookie, you don't take the full jar.

First of all, Kojima Productions is a separate entity inside Konami, they don't have anything do do with Contra. And secondly, if Konami wanted to release a Contra pack they would do so. They don't want others to do it for free.

It's up to Konami to decide whether or not Contra should be in Little Big Planet, it's not up to you or me - or even Media Molecule. And it is a bit stupid of them to welcome that kind of stuff on the service.

I haven't played LBP for a while, just when I check this contra level, but isn't there a lot of copyrighted themed level on LBP right now? I just galnce a little bit while searching the contra level and I think there's god of war, mirror's edge, dead space, and quite a bit level with custom sticker to make jason, freddy, and even Kingdom Hearts. so I assume MM has no problem with copyrighted material.

if Konami want to make Contra pack, the main draw that will separate them with this user level is the official art asset. we'll get actual sackboy contra costumes, official contra stickers, official music, and probably some new weapon.

Teknoman

Lee N said:

Well if they are tasty cookies i'll ask for more.

EDIT: I have a beta level still up with the SEGA logo, Sonic, and Knuckles plastered all over it. I think the gamesradar MM2 level is still up too.

sentry65

just going to quickly post my impressions:

- the level of details is great, love all the work and love that went into everything.

- base 2 is almost unplayable. Slow, and you don't fire when you press R1. Well maybe 1 shot for every 10 seconds, but it's just not even playable

- level 1 boss is really hard to make out what background layer things are shooting on and what you can hit from what layer. When the base goes into its 2nd phase, wtf? too confusing to bother to figure out considering how often you'll die trying

- level 3 boss, wtf do you do? I was shooting everything and nothing was happening.

- I skipped level 4 since level 2 was unplayable

- level 5 has too much death in it. You die from everything. One of the jumps is freaking weird where there's the gun shooting up at you from below.

overall, the LBP sluggish controls make this sorta game difficult. I still think the core LBP gameplay that makes it great is the grabbing and jumping on things

Teknoman

Kill the waterfall boss by shooting its arms off (just keep shooting) and then blow its face up.

Base levels you essentially use jetpacks, so hold X while holding R1 to move really fast and shoot. Snag a machine gun power up for faster shooting. You have to actually hold the buttons, not rapid tap R1.

Shoot the core.

Better yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787uSnQpddM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNf1ILH_ZA&feature=related

Watch those and you'll understand.

EDIT: Snowfield is pretty hard with the grenades though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I hope this level is still kicking about when I get a copy of the game. The YouTube video was astounding. Congratulations everyone!

Orz

sentry65 said:
- base 2 is almost unplayable. Slow, and you don't fire when you press R1. Well maybe 1 shot for every 10 seconds, but it's just not even playable

This is the crux of my concern about the Base levels. Not everyone seems to be able to figure out how to play them properly. I really didn't want to have to put in an exhaustive tutorial section, as I thought it was pretty evident from the directions I gave. Did the speaking cutscene at the entryway sign not clarify that you had to hold R1 to fire? I suppose I had best put in clearer directions.

sentry65 said:
just going to quickly post my impressions:

- the level of details is great, love all the work and love that went into everything.

Thanks! We spent a lot of time on trying to make it look good

sentry65 said:

I'm assuming you're talking about Base 1 actually since you said further down "I skipped level 4 since level 2 was unplayable." But like Tekno said, hold down R1 and if you want to move faster than the default speed hold X for your jetpack turbo.

sentry65 said:
- level 1 boss is really hard to make out what background layer things are shooting on and what you can hit from what layer. When the base goes into its 2nd phase, wtf? too confusing to bother to figure out considering how often you'll die trying

I tried to make it a little easier to notice what layer is in what by making sure the floor was color coded so you won't be confused what layer you are standing in (the outer layers are silver, middle is black). Also, just knowing that the boss is 3 layers and the fact that the wall is symmetrical should be a little bit of an aid to what to expect so that when you learn one layer, you pretty much know the opposite layer. The bullets are also color coded in a sense that in phase 1, red bombs are on the outside and white bullets are in the middle. In phase two, blue bullets are on the outside and the red beam is always in the middle. Also, just a hint, but whenever you die the helicopter will drop you where it's safe.

sentry65 said:
- level 3 boss, wtf do you do? I was shooting everything and nothing was happening.

Like Tekno said, the arms first then the head. Just like in original Contra.

sentry65 said:
- I skipped level 4 since level 2 was unplayable

Level 4 (Base 2) plays a little smoother than Base 1. Sometimes in the level you played the next wall will lag and not appear for a little bit but I've never had that problem in Level 4.

sentry65 said:
- level 5 has too much death in it. You die from everything. One of the jumps is freaking weird where there's the gun shooting up at you from below.

I don't know, I personally never have a problem with the difficulty in this stage. The bombs have a pattern that is easy to avoid and you can even shoot them out of the sky if you want. The turret shooters are easy enough to jump over as well, and the dozer minibosses and the boss isn't difficult when you figure out the trick to killing them.

Top Bottom