• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

Wickerman

Just saw the video on IGN.com.

WOW!!

I can't believe you guys pulled it off. The boss at the end of the 'Waterfall' looks so incredibly awesome. Well done fellas!!!

Took a while to find the real deal (there are a lot of crappy versions of the same idea out there), but I'm glad I took the time to find it. I can't beat the first level, though. Guess I'll use the Konami Code. :lol

Seriously brilliant stuff.

This may seem like a dumb post but I got the game is mail and I started it but I do not see the option to Go online. I Only played one level from single player story mode.. do I have to wait till it unlock ?

Ranger X

Unregistered007 said:
This may seem like a dumb post but I got the game is mail and I started it but I do not see the option to Go online. I Only played one level from single player story mode.. do I have to wait till it unlock ?

After the first couple of training levels everything will unlock.

EL Beefo

I think you may have to beat the first 3 story levels, or something like that. Don't worry though, they're very easy, should only take you about 15 minutes.

Jaeyden

What a way to finish guys!! Congratulations. Cool Page 1 - 03/05/09

IM000423.JPG.w560h420.jpg

IM000424.JPG.w560h420.jpg

Our stages are now being retired due to the new changes in the Cool Page rotation. You can still find them in LBP by typing Contra into the text search or search for any of the authors.

Crisis

Banned
I tried my luck at the level earlier today. I can make it through the level no problem and I even beat the first stage of the boss but I can't figure out how to take him down a second time. This is harder in 3D.

Jaeyden

Crisis said:
I tried my luck at the level earlier today. I can make it through the level no problem and I even beat the first stage of the boss but I can't figure out how to take him down a second time. This is harder in 3D.

There are eight 'levels'. Sounds like you only tried the Jungle. Good luck with the rest :)

Sorry for asking something that's probably been asked about a billion times I'm sure,
but how is Konami cool with this? Is it because you're using stuff from their MGS expansion pack?

Anyway, this looks awesome and makes me wish I had a PS3 to play it.

civilstrife said:
Sorry for asking something that's probably been asked about a billion times I'm sure,
but how is Konami cool with this? Is it because you're using stuff from their MGS expansion pack?

Anyway, this looks awesome and makes me wish I had a PS3 to play it.

Considering this is free marketing for their virtual console releases, I'd say they would probably be cool about it. Everyone who sees the trailer gets Contra on their brain and probably is more likely to spend money on things Contra. So they should be thanking us. :p
Plus they probably just think it's a cool tribute.

Whatever the case may be there have been Contra stages (and God of War, and Mario, and Sonic, and Star Wars, and every other franchise you can think of) on the LBP servers for a while. The moderators stopped modding levels so harshly a while back when a bunch of companies white-listed themselves from the list of companies who give a shit.

Sweet! I haven't checked back since a couple days ago, but that's nice to know people are finally getting to the end. I got halfway done with the ending, but I think I'll work more on it tonight or tomorrow after work.

Gratz for everyone else on the project. We all did an awesome job and thanks to MisterAnderson for setting it all up and keeping it coherent. Speaking of which, I have to finish that reply for the 1up thing.

donkey show said:
Sweet! I haven't checked back since a couple days ago, but that's nice to know people are finally getting to the end. I got halfway done with the ending, but I think I'll work more on it tonight or tomorrow after work.

Gratz for everyone else on the project. We all did an awesome job and thanks to MisterAnderson for setting it all up and keeping it coherent. Speaking of which, I have to finish that reply for the 1up thing.

Yep Alien's Lair is definitely getting it's fair share of plays! Congratz :) and can't wait to see the credit sequence you're working on. Orz sent me pics of his sackboy but he emailed them to me so I don't think you can use them....is it possible to import pics into the editor from the PC?

scitek

Yeah, it was mentioned on Thursday's show. Sessler was wowed by the dedication and said it was impressive.

i haven't played LBP in a while, but that's about to change! :D

Nicktals

Banned
Anyone find the video? Xplay uploads pretty much everything online, right? I'd love to watch you guys get a mention by webb and sessler!

gtmax

i hate to be the jackass asking, but i typed Contra on the text search and nothing came up. Can i find it just by flipping pages?

EL Beefo

gtmax said:
i hate to be the jackass asking, but i typed Contra on the text search and nothing came up. Can i find it just by flipping pages?

It's best to search for the names of the creators by typing "@" followed by the psn id.

Check it out guys!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3173346

"When I first saw it I was watching the YouTube link," said Konami associate producer and Contra 4 producer Tomm Hulett to us. "I thought: 'This is awesome!' then went into the normal fan reaction of spotting all the little things they threw in there and pulled off. I have yet to delve all the way into Little Big Planet's editor so I wasn't sure what was or wasn't possible. But, I knew it was possible for like-minded gamers to pull off some amazing things. When I tried to download it at home I couldn't figure out how to find it. Simon Lai, the other Producer on Contra 4, tried it and said it was really, really hard. I'll have to see about that soon - when we play NES Contra, Simon's always the one holding me back."

Media Molecule's also gone on the record in support of the project.

"I was really amazed by the scope of the project," Media Molecule artist Rex Crowle told us. "It's exciting seeing teams collaborating together to create larger projects in the same way that we all jam together at Media Molecule. The attention to detail was superb, I loved the little touches like the emitted explosion stickers, to give it that proper 8-bit action game feel. It also reminded me how insanely hard the games we used to play were -- I need to get back into training!"

"What also really stood out for me was the professional approach with making a great trailer to 'sell' the levels," he continued. "Without the trailer I might not have come across the project, but as soon as I started watching I couldn't resist tweeting it, and then whole team watched it through in our weekly Friday 'Show & Tell' while drinking beer and cheering!"

I had no idea that Konami commented on - and supports - our project...that is fucking sweet! And Media Molecule's thumbs up makes it all really worthwhile...thanks for an awesome game MM. And thank you Konami for Contra...please keep making more ;)

Edit: And Thanks to eXxy for the great article of course!

Just on X-Play, there was a segment discussing some of the LBP levels that have been made with one of the LBP developers. They even showed some footage of your group's level and he talked about the actually Contra level. Congrats.

dk_

Just playing the first jungle level. I mean it's nice and all, but way too hard. Sucks all the fun for me. :-/

dk_ said:
Just playing the first jungle level. I mean it's nice and all, but way too hard. Sucks all the fun for me. :-/

Try using the Konami code sticker on the title screen for double the lives. And also stay tuned in the coming weeks because Media Molecule is releasing an update soon with an "infinite checkpoint." It's always been my wish to have the code grant the player infinite lives, and I plan on changing out the double life checkpoint the code gives you with the infinite checkpoint when it comes out.

civilstrife said:

Play Contra 4 and get all the bonus content. The game is a digital museum to everything Contra for a reason. As I see it, there is nowhere left "to go" with the Contra franchise (read the interview content), so it's safe to say that it's not in Konami's interests to not be cool with this [awesome] tribute. (to Contra and thereby the eighties)

Cool to see LBP getting some 'proper' usage too, btw. How could anyone not like this kind of effort?

icechai

congrats on the crowns guys! Any chance you will be putting infinite lives (with the code sticker) in the next update? :)

Darkpen

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Try using the Konami code sticker on the title screen for double the lives. And also stay tuned in the coming weeks because Media Molecule is releasing an update soon with an "infinite checkpoint." It's always been my wish to have the code grant the player infinite lives, and I plan on changing out the double life checkpoint the code gives you with the infinite checkpoint when it comes out.
YES!

because really, I can't beat the level even w/ the konami code :(

Xenon

Awesome and deserved... Congrats guys. Nice surprise to see Konami supports this.

MisterAnderson, kudos for a great idea and pulling everyone together.

Top Bottom