• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

Teknoman

2ibkwn5.jpg

contani1.gif

Teknoman

rexor0717 said:
So, when will this amazing level be hitting the community?

Gonna be a set, but I guess like all great devs say: When its done :lol

Seriously though, i'd say before February is over.

Orz

Another day, another failed to load level...

This time it struck Base 1, its backup, and Base 2. Lost about 4 hours worth of tweaks and bugfixes. I think I caught up to most of them, but damn is this ever getting ludicrous. Backing up my levels to locked online ones every night now.

Didn't help with my Last Battleship level, mind you, which is now gone forever.

This really is a bug they needed to eliminate in beta. Losing all your work is inexcusable.

Orz said:
Another day, another failed to load level...

This time it struck Base 1, its backup, and Base 2. Lost about 4 hours worth of tweaks and bugfixes. I think I caught up to most of them, but damn is this ever getting ludicrous. Backing up my levels to locked online ones every night now.

Didn't help with my Last Battleship level, mind you, which is now gone forever.

This really is a bug they needed to eliminate in beta. Losing all your work is inexcusable.

:( Yeah I've been publishing after every major save I do, to try to avoid this from happening. If I ever "lost" a level like you did with Last Battleship I'd go apeshit on something.

The only good thing about losing work is it usually motivates you to make the best out of the situation and do an even better job than you had done previously to make yourself feel better about losing the work. But that mindset only works up to a point, lol.

Okay, how does this fleshy material look? I really haven't done too much considering I want to get this down right first. I think I finally got something I can accept so I can finally more forward.

lbpfleshy.jpg

The shapes are basic right now, but I think I can make it look better now. :D

Mik2121

donkey show said:
Okay, how does this fleshy material look? I really haven't done too much considering I want to get this down right first. I think I finally got something I can accept so I can finally more forward.

lbpfleshy.jpg

You are talking about the reddish area? I think it's way too small and the pattern it creates isn't very good.. Too old style (and not in a good way) for it's own good...

Mik2121 said:
You are talking about the reddish area? I think it's way too small and the pattern it creates isn't very good.. Too old style (and not in a good way) for it's own good...
Not the red part, the brownish part. The base under it with the texture stickers.

EL Beefo

Jaeyden said:
Some more recent Hangar photos.
DSC01458.JPG.w560h420.jpg

What materials are you using for the ground in this shot? I want to make the end of my level look like it leads into yours somewhat, and I can't figure out exactly what your using there.

Teknoman

donkey show said:

lbpfleshy.jpg

Looks nasty/fleshy enough.

Teknoman said:
Looks nasty/fleshy enough.
Word. With that in mind, I tried to go further with that idea. I messed with the color correction and got the brown textures to look more fleshy, pinkish, etc.

lbpfleshy1.jpg

Finally progress. :lol

donkey show said:
Word. With that in mind, I tried to go further with that idea. I messed with the color correction and got the brown textures to look more fleshy, pinkish, etc.

lbpfleshy1.jpg

Finally progress. :lol

Looking awesome man :)

Oh how I envy your thermometer, lol.

Jaeyden

EL Beefo said:
What materials are you using for the ground in this shot? I want to make the end of my level look like it leads into yours somewhat, and I can't figure out exactly what your using there.

The floor is a layer of rusty metal grill with brown stickers and then barbed wired under neath with white sticker. The black shiny material is Geckko armour plating with black sticker and the spots where the floor is white is woodeen basket with white sticker.

I was thinking that a "Fill" tool would totally rock in a new update. It'd make some of the stuff I'm working on in this level so much easier.

Anyway, I have the big alien penis monster moving and spitting out ugly sperm like spawn now. Looks gross and creepy. :lol I think I can do something cool with the heart at the end before I head off to the SFIV launch party tonight.

EDIT: I hate how this in-game snapshot does not show lighting or gas. =/

lbpalien4.jpg

lbpalien5.jpg

Penis monster in action. I think I'm going to have to electrocute the sperm monsters as the spiked teeth don't kill the way they should.

Looking really great Donkey Show :D

In other news I just successfully integrated an "easy" and "hard" mode in my level with a ghetto Konami code. Basically when you start off I give the player a sticker that they can use on the scrolling Contra title screen (they have about 10 seconds to do it). If they stick it on the piece, it will replace the spawn with a double checkpoint, mimicking the Contra extra lives cheat :p

zeloe326

Just wanna post and say you guys are putting together some amazing stuff. The screens posted are incredible. Can't believe I haven't picked this game up yet. Feels like I'm doing some type of disservice or something.

Here are some pics from NinjaMicWZ's Snowfield!

2cyhf7a.jpg

For some reason the in-game pic kept distorting the hell out of the spike dozer miniboss. This doesn't do it justice since you can't see the wheels/treads and the rest of the gun mount. For some reason the picture kept glitching and making them transparent.

nybmm1.jpg

n1cpdj.jpg

25hfpqv.jpg

Teknoman

donkey show said:
I was thinking that a "Fill" tool would totally rock in a new update. It'd make some of the stuff I'm working on in this level so much easier.

Anyway, I have the big alien penis monster moving and spitting out ugly sperm like spawn now. Looks gross and creepy. :lol I think I can do something cool with the heart at the end before I head off to the SFIV launch party tonight.

EDIT: I hate how this in-game snapshot does not show lighting or gas. =/

lbpalien4.jpg

lbpalien5.jpg

Penis monster in action. I think I'm going to have to electrocute the sperm monsters as the spiked teeth don't kill the way they should.

2dt3yo5.gif

Going great so far, cant wait to see the larger creatures in action. Really does look nasty with the lighting and effects added.

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
Check out the sticker I made to be used on the Extra Lives sticker switch at the title screen to be granted extra lives:

2kpxso.jpg

:D

How's the title screen going to work? Something similar to MGS pack's intro?

Its the giant CONTRA logo just moving in from right to left, centering on the screen followed by the opening title music, then it disappears and reveals the players being dropped off by a helicopter. You have about 10-15 seconds to open your popit and stick the konami code sticker anywhere on the title screen and it will give you a double checkpoint instead of the 4 life spawn. Also when you beat the level, you get rewarded a sticker to stick on the helicopter which will turn the level into a race so you can play the stage with a timer.

Edit: So yeah, somewhat similar to the MGS intro but much shorter.

So...I have no idea how but Neruthul apparently played my level (he even took a pic and uploaded it) and commented like 4 times on how he could help us out and that he liked my boss. He said he would lend enemies out because Contra is a very good cause. My question is how did he get access to the level? I never published it unlocked, but somehow it has been hearted 9 times when there are only 7 of us on the team. It still has 5 stars so I don't think I accidentally published it unlocked.

Edit: He even referred to the level as part of a "project" so I'm assuming he found out about us from GAF. Still doesn't explain how he had access to the level though

Edit 2: WTF Jungle has a bubble over it on the planet with the number 1 in it...someone is playing it and it's locked. This is starting to annoy me.

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
So...I have no idea how but Neruthul apparently played my level (he even took a pic and uploaded it) and commented like 4 times on how he could help us out and that he liked my boss. He said he would lend enemies out because Contra is a very good cause. My question is how did he get access to the level? I never published it unlocked, but somehow it has been hearted 9 times when there are only 7 of us on the team. It still has 5 stars so I don't think I accidentally published it unlocked.

Edit: He even referred to the level as part of a "project" so I'm assuming he found out about us from GAF. Still doesn't explain how he had access to the level though

Edit 2: WTF Jungle has a bubble over it on the planet with the number 1 in it...someone is playing it and it's locked. This is starting to annoy me.

Maybe someone cracked the safe code?

Jaeyden

During rewinds? I have found that if your level thermometer is nearly full and you try rewinding more than once in a row while online, you run the risk of hard locking your system.
Save often and work offline. I was also having freezing issues the other day while placing the runner/bomber into my level.

Dragnet said:
Holy shit you guys this is so awesome :D

You should totally take on something like Bionic Commando next :D

I guess it would be possible by placing "swing points" wherever you'd have to use the claw, but I don't think it would be the same without being able to shoot your grappling hook you know?

I just got back into playing LBP. Picked up the SF costume set. I hadnt read much of the thread, so I thought it was already available..did a search in LBP for "Contra" and the levels that came up weren't all that impressive, so I figured it wasn't ready yet. Can't wait!

are you guys posting them all up at the same time or lock them all part from the first level and give them the key to next level at the end

^^ keep up the good work

Orz

MisterAnderson said:

Maybe you left the combination mechanism functional?

Regardless, I think it's cool he wants to help, even if we are all almost done.

PartlyCloudlike said:
I just got back into playing LBP. Picked up the SF costume set. I hadnt read much of the thread, so I thought it was already available..did a search in LBP for "Contra" and the levels that came up weren't all that impressive, so I figured it wasn't ready yet. Can't wait!

Those levels definitely aren't ours since we have them locked for team members to play only, there are other Contra levels by other people on there though, which is what you played.

jump_button said:
are you guys posting them all up at the same time or lock them all part from the first level and give them the key to next level at the end

^^ keep up the good work

I was wondering about this...I thought it would be really be cool if we award a key to the player once completing the stage that grants them access to the next stage in chronological order, but that probably isn't fair to the authors of the later stages as far as plays are concerned since they aren't able to play it until the others are beaten.

Orz said:
Maybe you left the combination mechanism functional?

Regardless, I think it's cool he wants to help, even if we are all almost done.

I didn't, he said he was somehow able to grab the key through the safe wall. I am going to take down the lock and key level since Ninja said you can make an object our of keys and mail them to friends. Then they can drop the object into a level and grab it.

Jaeyden

jump_button said:

^^ keep up the good work

I have a magic mouth at the end of my level that says "Continue on to Stage 8 - Aliens Lair by gevurah22 - Check my hearted list! " then I will have a key for Aliens Lair there too just to give the player the idea that they have unlocked a new level and to remind them to continue on. Many authors put keys in their levels while never actually locking them just to get people to venture into their other stuff.

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
I guess it would be possible by placing "swing points" wherever you'd have to use the claw, but I don't think it would be the same without being able to shoot your grappling hook you know?

Yeah. That was the first thing I tried to do back in the beta (see Rag Tag Commandos). Didnt really work out so well. Now GAF creates could tackle Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes next.

Maybe even a non run n gun genre game...like Double Dragon. Dont know how that would work out, but it's something that hasnt been done yet :D

Orz

Can I get a picture of the ending, post-boss-death appearance of Jungle and Waterfall? I'd like to have my starting areas be more of a transition from those levels. Since I can't have them immediately appear in the player 'trolleys' without some sort of conveyance to get them there.

I've put a semi-decent advancing wall wreckage mechanism back in, and a few explosions using Mr Anderson's object. Rollers are working. Most bugfixes are done. All I have to do is finish Base 2's boss, and some cosmetic work, and both levels are done.

I wouldn't mind some honest feedback, though. Since they're my levels, I can't be objective about them. Are they 'fun'? Do they fit with the project? I've tried to go for a more 8-bit look (and trying to forge an illusion of depth limits the detail I can put on the playfield) whereas a lot of what I've seen on other levels is going for a more 'updated' look. I don't want my levels to be a gimmicky low point of the project. Honesty appreciated.

Orz said:
Can I get a picture of the ending, post-boss-death appearance of Jungle and Waterfall? I'd like to have my starting areas be more of a transition from those levels. Since I can't have them immediately appear in the player 'trolleys' without some sort of conveyance to get them there.

I've put a semi-decent advancing wall wreckage mechanism back in, and a few explosions using Mr Anderson's object. Rollers are working. Most bugfixes are done. All I have to do is finish Base 2's boss, and some cosmetic work, and both levels are done.

I wouldn't mind some honest feedback, though. Since they're my levels, I can't be objective about them. Are they 'fun'? Do they fit with the project? I've tried to go for a more 8-bit look (and trying to forge an illusion of depth limits the detail I can put on the playfield) whereas a lot of what I've seen on other levels is going for a more 'updated' look. I don't want my levels to be a gimmicky low point of the project. Honesty appreciated.

I'll send you a pic of my scoreboard area in a bit, although I plan to add some better lighting in that area when I finish all the enemy placement in the stage. Currently trying to free up some thermo to get enough to finish. It's gonna be a photo finish lol.

Teknoman

Orz said:

Well you really were fighting an uphill battle taking on the Base areas. I dont know about anyone else, but I think those style levels (at least in Contra 1 and Contra IV) weren't that great in the first place.

Though if its hard for the player to mess up the way the stage works, and it has a nice flow to it, I say it worked out great.

Top Bottom