• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet - 'Catch-All' Hype & Information Thread (UK beta codes gogogo)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Quaz51 said:
i count 137 material on this build, it's good!

- 12 Basic material
- 8 Cardboard
- 17 Metal
- 1 Polystyrene
- 38 sponge
- 22 stone
- 34 wood
- 5 Glass

and 20 shapes for modeling
and hundreds objects, stickers, decorations...

Thanks for this :) I was going to go freeze-framing through the latest vids, but they're loading too slowly for me :| I've included some of your info in the OP, if that's OK with you.

The PAX video mentions that there's over 500 different costume pieces alone, also.

Concept17

Thanks for the thread gofreak, much appreciated. It shall be my new home until the official thread rolls around. :D

After seeing all these gameplay vids, it would be great to have a nice 10 minute long or so video of someone just messing around in Create mode.

Quaz51

just the tools menu (lack the last window after the background choice. it's the background setting, sun position, lighting, fogness...) and shapes

LBP61.jpg

OP said:
Text Bubbles

You can pop up notes to players, or have NPCs 'talk' using text bubbles to which you can add..text.

Lionheart said:
I was thinking of cool things to add to this game and I think it would be awesome if you can add your own story to each level you create somehow. Say the level starts with a Star Wars-esque intro where you can type your own text and have NPCs with dialogue boxes explain more of the level as you go on, it could really add to the theme of each level. You would create chapters like in Siren to make a complete "game".

:D

Quaz51

Materials

Different materials have different physical properties. Some might be heavy, for example, and require multiple Sackboys to move. Materials can be glued to surfaces to prevent movement, or can use a special 'Dark Matter' material to hover. They can also have other properties applied to them (see Functions).

basic material physical properties are weight, friction, grabbable or not (lot of material are not grabbable), destructible or not (with explosives)

Functions
Ice - turns material to ice. With prolonged exposure can freeze and kill Sackboy.

this function have disapeared since a long time.

Stickers

A plethora of images to stick on object surfaces. This category also includes functionality to capture images from the Playstation Eye and embed them as stickers in your creations.

stickers menu also contain "decoration" object. it's 3D object but used like a sticker on a surface and without physical reality contrary to true object in object menu
for complete the Pseye function there is also a screenshot function to grab a screenshot or part of screenhot and apply on a stickers

Can Sackboy die?

Yes. Dangerous materials, like fire and electricity can kill Sackboy. Sackboy can also be squashed, or killed by other objects such as spikes. Sackboy will respawn at the nearest respawn point, which will count down remaining lives. When Sackboy is on his last life, the respawn point will flash red. If you die then, you'll have to start the level from scratch. In their own levels, players will be able to place respawn points where they wish and control number of spawns to manipulate difficulty.

and every time you die you lose some score

Awesome thread. Soo much info in one place. I now have a link to show people exactly what I'm talking about when I speak of the awesomeness that is LBP.

The number of backgrounds (only 9??) and music tracks (only 22??) is pretty disappointing. I was hoping they'd offer a lot more so that each level doesn't end up sounding/looking the same.

GDJustin said:
This is the first piece of LBP media that has truly impressed me.

I think for me it was something like the 68th. I've yet to see a video of this game that hasn't made me :D.

Great thread gofreak, too many splintered discussions. Anyone know anything about the beta?

edit:
Loudninja said:
LittleBigPlanet Skulldozer level

T-Rex chase level incoming

mr_nothin

Banned
CSSer said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=164853

15:24:24 -

Obli asks: A boring one I'm afraid! Does the game run at 60fps or 30fps? 720P or 1080p?

David Smith: 30fps at 720. The game uses a lot of filmic techniques like depth of field and motion blur, so this fits the game pretty well.
And MORE importantly:

15:36:36 -

ShiftyGeezer asks: Will there be independent camera controls and video capture? I think creating virtual 'theatre plays' would be great, but it would want some camera controls and an ability to export video.

David Smith: We have a big wish list of things that we'd like to add after the initial launch of the game. Making videos of theatre plays and stunts is definitely on the list. Whether we add the feature or not is partially up to you guys. How much do you want it? Tell us!
YES MM we want it!

Private Hoffman said:
The number of backgrounds (only 9??) and music tracks (only 22??) is pretty disappointing. I was hoping they'd offer a lot more so that each level doesn't end up sounding/looking the same.

Wouldn't one be able to use stickers on the background as well? I know this makes the level more data heavy, but I would assume that stickers would help the variety.

Private Hoffman said:

it's likely that sort of stuff is unlocked with play, so it's possible the pop-its showing those items haven't been fully unlocked yet

i remember hearing that there'd be more than nine backgrounds, and remember - you can alter the lighting, add fog, etc. and mix the music in different ways, so even if it at first seems limited, there'll be a lot to play with

SetUhatU said:
oooooh, if this game doesn't support 1080i/p I will be veeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry upset.

Even though TV prices for a 720p TV have plummeted, I still feel for the users that get shafted. Sony really should have taken care of this from the beginning. Here's to hoping you get to play this in an HD resolution.

Quaz51

Private Hoffman said:

each background is really big and varied (because editor space is really big), with one background you can create lot of variante according where you put your level in the bagkground (more up, more down, more left, more right), how you adjust sun position, color and lighting, fogness... and you can customise the background with large backboard

and 30 music with customization is enough

the base of the game it's that all component are imposed (material, stickers, music, background....) but with a large catalogue and customization. it's good because it's preserve game identity (and it's a very good identity). preserve share comfort (little file) and don't need great artist talent for really participate to the LBP community (it's really a game design and level design centric tool)
i like all this choice

Quaz51 said:
every background is really big and varied (because create space is really big), with one background you can create lot of variante according where you put your level in the bagkground (more up, more down, more left, more right), how you adjust sun position, color and lighting, fogness... and you can customise the background with large backboard

and 30 music with customization is enough

the base of the game it's that all component are imposed (material, stickers, music, background....) but with a large catalogue and customization. it's good because it's preserve game identity (and it's a very good identity). preserve share comfort (little file) and don't need great artist talent for really participate to the LBP community (it's really a game design and level design centric tool)
i like all this choice

The problem is that this is a Blu-ray release...doesn't really matter that there would be tons of different background options or music; the file size would be small because all that data would be on the disc anyway.

Quaz51

i talked "imposed component" versus "i can create all myself. music, stickers ect..."
and i talked the comfort of "shared level file size" between the community

i understand you want more background and music or maybe material, stickers, object... but for me it's more than enough and there will be lot of DLC for next months and years ;)

lol51

Already preordered...

In addition to DLC, they also made it sound like more content will be unlocked after venturing further in the single player experience...

It's going to be funny having two "official threads" for LBP. One for the game itself, and one for making your levels. Should be interesting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Quaz51 said:
this function have disapeared since a long time.
There's no more Ice? it was there at E3, there was whole level made of ice, and they demonstrated freezing etc. Why would they remove that?

GDJustin said:
This is the first piece of LBP media that has truly impressed me.
That? I've seen probably a dozen of LBP videos more impressive than that one.

Quaz51

Marconelly said:
There's no more Ice? it was there at E3, there was whole level made of ice, and they demonstrated freezing etc. Why would they remove that?

ice (or glass) is now just slippery material (like at E3), no freezing function now

this is old menu with freezing function: (build number 18596, last video is build 25343)
LBP2.jpg

jmd494

Quaz51 said:
ice (or glass) is now just slippery material (like at E3), no freezing function now

this is old menu with freezing function: (build number 18596, last video is build 25343)
LBP2.jpg
Are you sure there aren't just two separate types of ice (i.e. one that freezes and one that doesn't)?

G-Bus

Banned
Can't help but get a Mario Party vibe when watching people play the mini games.

I think we need to get rid of this "level maker" mentality. It's a game maker.

vdo

Awesome form of advertising!

It would be so hard to resist the temptation of snagging it, but then you know that if you do, that would stop the advertisement it is doing and I would want this game to do well so it would be best to leave it there, but then someone else would probably take it anyway...arrggh - if these show up around where I live I don't know what I'd do, especially since they pretty much admitted/sanctioned that people would take them in their announcement of these.

The best thing would be if they continually are putting these out all over so that even though a lot get taken, people still see them a lot.

But these look to be pretty high quality and so that could end up being expensive.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Zoe said:
Somebody snatch it!!!
Orders received. Commencing Mission.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Quaz51 said:

LBP2.jpg
Yeah, looks like you are right. As long as the icy surfaces are there, I don't mind it - I was worried those were gone as well, not just the freezing feature.

vdo

Marconelly said:
Yeah, looks like you are right. As long as the icy surfaces are there, I don't mind it - I was worried those were gone as well, not just the freezing feature.

One thing that sounded cool about the freezing feature on one of the videos was when they said you could make the player freeze sackboy to get him into places he otherwise couldn't. But maybe instead of having him slide around as a block of ice, you just make him jump on something that has an ice texture underneath it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
jiggle said:
http://ps3center.net/img/littlebigplanet_billboard.jpg[img]

[url]http://www.ps3center.net/story-1940-A-PS3-Little-Big-Planet-Billboard.html[/url][/QUOTE]
It begins. :D

Top Bottom