• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Local multiplayer gaming on the Switch, an in-depth and updated recommendation list!

Hello all. One of the main things I love about the Nintendo Switch is how easily it lends itself to local multiplayer gaming, and already has a huge catalogue of local multiplayer games to choose from! It might all get a little confusing with so many games available, and that's where I come in. Who am I, you ask? I'm just an average guy, but local multiplayer gaming has been my thing ever since the N64 days, and it is a huge thing in my household. From your Guitar Hero to your Smash Brothers, to your Bomberman to your FIFA, it's our favourite type of gaming experience and since there are very regularly 3-4 of us available, and we can quite easily gather up to 8 people to play, I can say with at least some confidence that my opinion on which games are fun and which games are really fun is noteworthy.

It's impossible to order these games from best to worst as your experience will vary depending on the tastes of the players, how many players you play with, the skill levels of the players and other factors. However, I will use this simple chart:

Fully Recommended
Highly Recommended
Recommended
Not Recommended
Avoid

And everything in between.

As you can see I am a positive person and believe most local multiplayer offerings are great fun provided you have great people to play with (unlike normal review scores where anything below a 7 is seen as bad). Don't dwell on the difference between the top 3 too much. Whether the game is "Fully Recommended", "Highly Recommended", or "Recommended" it has my full approval and you should get it and it will be great fun. The difference is just there to make choosing a little easier for you. With the right players and the right setup, most of the "Highly Recommended" games can become "Fully Recommended", and most of the "Recommended" games can become "Highly Recommended". Not recommended means there's still some fun to be had. I will hardly use the Avoid rating unless the game is pretty much broken.

Please note that none of this is final and as I play the games more and more with different people, my opinions on them may change slightly, but this will not happen very often.

Remember that I am rating the local multiplayer part of the game only. It is possible that a game has an amazing single player mode but a not so good multiplayer mode, or that it has an amazing multiplayer mode but a not so good or even non-existent single player mode. Also, use your own judgement as to what you are specifically after. If you want a good 4 player experience then you won't get that with a 2 player co-op adventure!

Edit: Due to running out of space, I will link my thoughts of the game under each one!

68srjSI.png
Jackbox Party Pack 1/2/3 (Fully Recommended)
Click here for description
Note: Icon for Jackbox Party Pack 3 doesn't have the game title.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Fully Recommended)

Super Bomberman R (Fully Recommended)

Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (Fully Recommended)

Overcooked (Highly/Fully Recommended)

Use Your Words (Highly/Fully Recommended)

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Highly/Fully Recommended)

Death Squared (Highly/Fully Recommended)

Tumblestone (Highly/Fully Recommended)

Arms (Highly Recommended)

FIFA 18 (Highly Recommended)

Inversus Deluxe (Highly Recommended)

Pokken Tournament DX (Highly Recommended)

Namco Museum (Highly Recommended)

Rocket Fist (Highly Recommended)

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Highly Recommended)

1-2 Switch (Recommended/Highly Recommended)

Snipperclips (Recommended/Highly Recommended)

Astro Bears Party (Recommended/Highly Recommended)

Conga Master Party (Recommended)
Note: Icon for Conga Master Party doesn't have the game title.

Astro Duel Deluxe (Recommended)

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Recommended)

Flip Wars (Not Recommended/Recommended)

Infinite Minigolf (Not Recommended)

Sonic Mania (Not Recommended)
Note: Icon for Sonic Mania doesn't have the game title.

Rudymical Dark Witch: Music Episode (Not Recommended)

De Mambo (Not Recommended)
Note: Icon for De Mambo doesn't have the game title.

Ultra Hyperball (Not Recommended)

PedroRVD

Just subscribed to this thread. Thank you very much.

Since Switch launch, local multiplayer meetings with my friends have revived ... since like the N64 era. And I'm very willing to buy a lot of multiplayer games.

Let me mention Namco Museum as Highly Recommended because of PAC-MAN Vs. I LOVE the fact that they let the second Switch download a multiplayer version for free so you just need one copy of the game to enjoy the full experience (I'm looking for more games to do that ... ARMS really needs this!!) . It's really awesome ... $30 seems like too much but I really enjoyed my time with my friends in this game. I wish it had more stages and 4 ghosts instead of 3.

Fast RMX is not a game I would recommend for local multiplayer ... unless all are hardcore players and fans of this game.

Never tried Rocket Fist. Will look for it on YouTube now.

Just subscribed to this thread. Thank you very much.

Since Switch launch, local multiplayer meetings with my friends have revived ... since like the N64 era. And I'm very willing to buy a lot of multiplayer games.

Let me mention Namco Museum as Highly Recommended because of PAC-MAN Vs. I LOVE the fact that they let the second Switch download a multiplayer version for free so you just need one copy of the game to enjoy the full experience (I'm looking for more games to do that ... ARMS really needs this!!) . It's really awesome ... $30 seems like too much but I really enjoyed my time with my friends in this game. I wish it had more stages and 4 ghosts instead of 3.

Fast RMX is not a game I would recommend for local multiplayer ... unless all are hardcore players and fans of this game.

Never tried Rocket Fist. Will look for it on YouTube now.

I'm very curious to learn about Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley's multiplayer functionality and impressions.

I forgot to add in Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania and Namco Museum, thanks guys.

Alpha_eX

1-2 Switch shouldn't be so highly recommended based on it's price and limited number of games you'll realistically want to replay.

I highly recommend Minna de Spelunker (JP import), it's basically an N64 feeling 4-player split-screen platformer with Indiana Jones vibes. I really enjoy it with 2 or 3 players, 4 players is a bit manic but usual group is 3 people.

Death Squared looks great fun, will get that for the co-op but single player seemed a bit soulless.

1-2 Switch shouldn't be so highly recommended based on it's price and limited number of games you'll realistically want to replay.

I highly recommend Minna de Spelunker (JP import), it's basically an N64 feeling 4-player split-screen platformer with Indiana Jones vibes. I really enjoy it with 2 or 3 players, 4 players is a bit manic but usual group is 3 people.

Death Squared looks great fun, will get that for the co-op but single player seemed a bit soulless.

I will look into Minna de Spelunker!

What rating would you give 1-2 switch so I can add it it to the post?

SummitAve

Banned
2p party mode in Arms has been my gf's favorite coop experience so far. It really works with any number of people though as you can just keep passing controllers after rounds.

kunonabi

Ill definitely pick up 1-2 switch and bomberman once i buy a switch in a year or two. Already 100%ed Snipperclips on a friends unit so no need to pick that up. i already have puyo puyo elsewhere so id need a big discount to double dip.

I really do hope Fire Pro gets a Switch version. That would have been crack back in high school/college.

2p party mode in Arms has been my gf's favorite coop experience so far. It really works with any number of people though as you can just keep passing controllers after rounds.

Definitely. My sister and I love playing this mode together, and it gives you a handicap if you are doing badly so theres always room to catch up.

Sucks Splatoon 2 doesn't have local...

For sure. At least we have local wireless with multiple Switch systems I guess.

Metalmarc

Subbing as a Switch Owner for a Week today

I love local multiplayer, its the reason I bought the Switch, well that and i like Fun games, but I could only afford Mario Kart & Sonic this month along eith the cos of the Switch, but the coming months i Intend to buy many more before the year is out, have played some Demos and now totally interested in Snipperclips, Puyo Puyo Tetris, but with no demo i still love Bomberman of old so i am excited to get it.

This weekend I noticed Nintendo are doing a Global Testfire of Arms, which was not on my radar at all cos I don't think it would interest me, that said if i love the testfire i will buy the full game.

Also my and the girlfriend love playing Fifa together, thouh she likes Fifa & Football more than me, i'm more into Hockey now, which i know is odd as a Brit but thats how it is, so I hope for NHL in the future for the Switch

Subbing as a Switch Owner for a Week today

I love local multiplayer, its the reason I bought the Switch, well that and i like Fun games, but I could only afford Mario Kart & Sonic this month along eith the cos of the Switch, but the coming months i Intend to buy many more before the year is out, have played some Demos and now totally interested in Snipperclips, Puyo Puyo Tetris, but with no demo i still love Bomberman of old so i am excited to get it.

This weekend I noticed Nintendo are doing a Global Testfire of Arms, which was not on my radar at all cos I don't think it would interest me, that said if i love the testfire i will buy the full game.

Also my and the girlfriend love playing Fifa together, thouh she likes Fifa & Football more than me, i'm more into Hockey now, which i know is odd as a Brit but thats how it is, so I hope for NHL in the future for the Switch

Sonic is a fun game to watch someone okay so you guys will get some enjoyment out of that together too. If local multiplayer is what you want then you won't be disappointed in Bomberman. All are great choices but if money isn't an issue I'd recommend PPT before Snipperclips, it lasts longer I feel.

Go for the testfire, I believe it's party mode which is great fun even if you are new to the game. FIFA is coming to the Switch and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it! I can feel it's going to be high up in the list for sure (with a disclaimer that at least some interest in football is recommended :p)

Rudymical Dark Witch: Music Episode (Not Recommended)
Rudymical is a rhythm game where you face a boss who throws balls at you, and you must slice them in time to the music to bring their health down. The multiplayer can be played both co-op and competitively which is a nice addition to the game. Whilst there is some fun to be had, the music is nothing special and the number of tracks is limited. The difficulty also spikes very quickly. I wouldn't really recommend this game whether you are a rhythm game fan or not, but if you are and you are also stubborn and want to try it, you should go ahead. Like I said, there is a bit of fun to be had.
(Single Player: Only give it a chance if you are really into rhythm games and even then make sure you do your research first).

I have also added a single player one liner to each game.

maxmars

You know what, I agree with most of what you've written so far, but I would put Astro Duel Deluxe up there with Rocket Fist. Power ups and the kill-the-pilot variant give it quite a bit of depth.

You know what, I agree with most of what you've written so far, but I would put Astro Duel Deluxe up there with Rocket Fist. Power ups and the kill-the-pilot variant give it quite a bit of depth.

It's funny you say that, ADD is the only game whose rating I've changed while typing. It was first Recommended but then I put it down a peg when my sister got bored of it after just two rounds. I have a friend coming over today and will give it a go once more and maybe I'll put it back up to recommended.

kitsuneyo

Great thread, thanks Waluigilicious. Getting my Switch next week.

Quick question - can you play Puyo Puyo in 2-player with just one set of joy-cons?

Great thread, thanks Waluigilicious. Getting my Switch next week.

Quick question - can you play Puyo Puyo in 2-player with just one set of joy-cons?

Yes. Looking through the list, I believe every single one of those games allows this!

Wish someone would do this for the other consoles.

Great thread OP.

Thanks for the thread, will check out Rocket Fist.

Thanks this is really useful!

Thanks guys.

JJShadow

Bumping this just to thank you for making the thread, I was looking for a new game to play with my GF on my Switch and this is exactly what I was looking for

Subscribed!

Awesome thread OP! Bought the Switch mainly for local MP so this is a great resource.

I'm gonna go ahead and fully recommend MK8, been having a blast with it with the fiancée. Gonna get Snipperclips soon (bundled with some Joy-cons) so I'll update this post with impressions. There's also a good chance we'll buy overcooked, although that might be on PS4 since it's cheaper and apparently performs better.

If you're looking for an incredibly fun local MP experience, don't sleep on Bomberman. It had my non-gamer relatives howling with laughter for several hours when they came to visit. Grudges and rivalries were born that day.

How's the Mario+Rabbids coop mode? Is it a throwaway mode or is it a relatively substantial? Is there a decent amount of content?

What about the NEO GEO games? I've never played any NEO GEO games except for a couple on Wii VC (Metal Slug X and Baseball Stars 2). I'm mainly interested in couch co-op but enjoy competitive as well. Not interested in the fighting games though. So far I'm leaning towards Shock Troopers, is that a safe bet?

Just bought a switch and picked up snipperclips and overcooked on the recommendations of others, but this will be a great resource.

jariw

The 2-player mode in Mario+Rabbids is quite good! The levels are specially designed for multiplayer, and it's quite different being 4 i the party. Some of the more difficult levels demands that you plan as a team.

Rayman Legends Definitive Edition (Fully Recommended)

It really hurts me to give this game the fully recommended rating. The game is missing two key features from the Wii U version as far as multiplayer is concerned. You cannot play with 5 players (it is capped at 4) and also you cannot have someone be a dedicated Murphy player, using the touchscreen to help out everyone else. Despite missing these key features, Rayman Legends continues to be a must have for multiplayer platforming, and I simply cannot give it any other rating. If however you don’t have to have all your games on the Switch, do yourself a favour and get the Wii U version. The platforming is not punishing at all as if you die you can easily come back when someone frees you, and even if you all die you will start from a checkpoint and they are frequent within the levels. You can also run through eachother freely. I would say the multiplayer is arguably even more accessible than New Super Mario Bros! Other than that you have a Kung Foot mode which is a very fun diversion and very simple to understand and play, and everyone will enjoy it no doubt.
(Single Player: Fully recommended also. Great platformer and the online challenges help keep the game fresh for months and even years!).

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Recommended)

Mario + Rabbids has a multiplayer mode which actually in a way adds more content to the single player also. They are levels specifically designed to be tackled with four characters (controlling two each with your buddy), and also for the first time you don’t have to use Mario. I recommend this mode only if your buddy is willing to learn or already knows the mechanics of the game, otherwise it can be all too confusing for them and you will basically be telling them what to do and playing on your own (which you can pretty much do anyway since it is turn based). Also, the single player campaigns must be finished to unlock their respective multiplayer levels, and to unlock hard mode you have to finish the whole campaign, and for completionists there really is no point doing these challenges on easy or normal as doing it on hard will overwrite this achievement. Despite all that I still recommend this multiplayer experience as it is something very unique that perhaps your buddies have never really experienced before.
(Single Player: Fully recommended. Definitely a surprise hit, but do some research first to see exactly what type of game it is).

Infinite Minigolf (Not Recommended)

This game in its current state feels very clunky, wonky and unfinished. The presentation feels bland, the physics feel off, and some of the powerups just make no sense (you can jump forever with one of them thus never ending your turn). It’s a huge shame as with the correct tweaking this type of game can easily shoot up to be fully recommended. There’s still some fun to be had if your force it, and there is a level editor, but in its current state it gets old really fast. Certain angles of slopes make the ball move for ages before you can continue, and something just feels off which will unfortunately hamper the multiplayer experience. The controls are also super sensitive (even if you turn it down fully) and it is very difficult to adjust the bar and get the correct power of shot.
(Single Player: You can play user created courses online and rate them and there are unlockables which can keep you playing, but what’s the point when the game itself has problems. Just like the multiplayer, there’s a lot of wasted potential).

What about the NEO GEO games? I've never played any NEO GEO games except for a couple on Wii VC (Metal Slug X and Baseball Stars 2). I'm mainly interested in couch co-op but enjoy competitive as well. Not interested in the fighting games though. So far I'm leaning towards Shock Troopers, is that a safe bet?

Unfortunately I haven't bought any. There's so many out there and I wouldn't have the time nor money to keep up! But if anyone would like to recommend the best few for multiplayer I'd gladly give them a go.

How's the Mario+Rabbids coop mode? Is it a throwaway mode or is it a relatively substantial? Is there a decent amount of content?

Definitely worth a play. They are designed for multiplayer and feel like extra content for two very cool reasons (read above).

If you're looking for an incredibly fun local MP experience, don't sleep on Bomberman. It had my non-gamer relatives howling with laughter for several hours when they came to visit. Grudges and rivalries were born that day.

Yes!

There is Lichtspeer, basically tower defense. You can play drop in co op, 2nd player is a floating Dachshund, which is ofc awesome! Seems pretty fun so far but I can't say much since I just started with the gf.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There is Lichtspeer, basically tower defense. You can play drop in co op, 2nd player is a floating Dachshund, which is ofc awesome! Seems pretty fun so far but I can't say much since I just started with the gf.

In for lichtspeer
Just played with a friend and we lived it

Plus. Is OP seriously lacking ultra street fighter 2?!

Stopdoor

You didn't mention, Astro Duel Deluxe apparently has 6-player multiplayer exclusive to the Switch version. Pretty sure one of the only games to do more than four, past Bomberman?

Potentially very interested in this....but how does the coop-mode work? Cant find any videos of it. Would you mind describing how it works?

NimbusD

Great thread. I'm definitely gonna come back later to make a full thread but just have to say I 100% disagree with a fully recommend on Bomberman. Unless you for some reason are in love with this game and the single player... You're forced to slog through the single player to unlock multiplayer stuff otherwise, from what I remember (I sold the game after a week), there's like 3 stages to choose from and a handful of characters.
At the time that I had it, the coins you got to unlock stuff also were used to continue the main story when you died due to the cheesy AI. Making it even worse. Really wanted to like this game but I couldn't get past being forced to play a bad single player to unlock the multiplayer stuff in a game that already cost way too much money.

Great thread. I'm definitely gonna come back later to make a full thread but just have to say I 100% disagree with a fully recommend on Bomberman. Unless you for some reason are in love with this game and the single player... You're forced to slog through the single player to unlock multiplayer stuff otherwise, from what I remember (I sold the game after a week), there's like 3 stages to choose from and a handful of characters.
At the time that I had it, the coins you got to unlock stuff also were used to continue the main story when you died due to the cheesy AI. Making it even worse. Really wanted to like this game but I couldn't get past being forced to play a bad single player to unlock the multiplayer stuff in a game that already cost way too much money.

Since you sold the game they have updated it so that you get 150 coins for every local multiplayer fight, so you can simply play the multiplayer and by the time you get bored of the available levels you should be able to unlock new ones. The game now has 20 multiplayer levels to play, which is a huge number for any Bomberman game. I can't remember the exact number but this is around double of what was available at launch. The game has also gone from 30fps to 60fps which normally I wouldn't really care about but it makes a nice difference in a game like this. I really recommend picking it back up if you play local multiplayer.

Also the single player is fully co-op which gives it points, and I believe they've updated easy mode in that to continue it costs something like 10 coins.

You didn't mention, Astro Duel Deluxe apparently has 6-player multiplayer exclusive to the Switch version. Pretty sure one of the only games to do more than four, past Bomberman?

You're right. You know what, I might bump that game up to recommended. It's the only game I wasn't sure what rating to give.

In for lichtspeer
Just played with a friend and we lived it

Plus. Is OP seriously lacking ultra street fighter 2?!

I don't have every game :p feel free to post impressions!

Potentially very interested in this....but how does the coop-mode work? Cant find any videos of it. Would you mind describing how it works?
The second player is a floating Dachshund and can throw speers as well, the enemy count is upped I guess bc it was pretty hard even with 2P.

Dunno about LCU but Lego Worlds has a co op mode as well, runs pretty well apart from an aggressive lod solution. Can't give too much impressions though since we just started.

jariw

Just a heads up - Tumblestone is out on Switch October 05!
http://nintendoeverything.com/tumblestone-coming-to-switch-out-october-5/

I posted this comment about the game in the eShop thread:
I got that game on Wii U, and we played it a lot here at home. It's a fantastic local multiplayer game (there's a single player campaign as well) with really awesome rubberbanding for the computer AI players as well. For local vs. mode, I personally think Tumblestone is a better game than Puyo Puyo Tetris.

FIFA 18 (Highly Recommended)
If you are into football then I highly recommend this game as it will add a great variety to your collection. There are people out there who will only play this out of all the games, so you can use it to ease them into the Switch ;) (anyone in the UK will know what I’m talking about). FIFA 18 is a solid FIFA game that you can play locally with friends with up to 4 people, splitting into teams of your choice. However, if you do win, then be prepared for the excuses that it’s not their usual version! If you are not into football too much but are into your local multiplayer gaming then this will still be a decent purchase for sure. You can also go online with a local buddy and play against others that way.
(Single Player: Again, if you are into football, then the online seasons mode should keep you going).

Inversus Deluxe (Highly Recommended)
Inversus is a game that can be played 1v1 or 2v2 locally. You control a small square and must shoot the opposing team, only being able to walk in opposite coloured squares. You advance by shooting and must watch your ammo as it will need to reload if you shoot too often. It is a highly strategic and highly fun game! There is also an arcade mode which can be played co-op with two people, and it is more than just a fun diversion. If a friend is less skilled then you can team up 2v2 against CPU players or go online together. There are lots of maps to unlock and they are all very unique.
(Single Player: Arcade mode is great fun and everything you can do offline, you can do online)!

Top Bottom