• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan was a mean movie and still a mean future for the mutants stop being so mean

vctor182

CHRONO-001.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Why do people try so hard to find merit in the canon these movies try to establish.

If you let go, just let go of all logic in these movies, you will have a better experience.

Just watch Wolverine dice everyone up

Sane_Man

I thought it was meant to be a different timeline or something?

I don't really care. The movie was average as fuck.

Capitan

Pretty sure it's in an alternate timeline. they could still go somewhere else with the series. It's pretty clear after DOFP that they don't really care about messing with timeline stuff.
It's also the best x-men movie so far, IMO. Sure it's bleak, but that's the point. Did you also not like The Road or The Last of Us?

MisterHero

On a positive note we can have a sequel with Laura, some of the X kids, and possibly some surviving X-Men in the future.

Valkerionseven said:
Name a X-Men story line with a happy ending for mutants.... ok thank you, there isn't one.

"but but but wolverine woke up and everyone was alive so it must have been a happy future!" yeah for that day. All x-men stories lead to horrible stuff. Sentinels, Apocalypse, Stryfe, Phallanx, Mr. Sinister, Terrigen mist, legacy virus (which this movie slightly refrences in the form of their cure), Phoenix, ect. ect. ect. ect. ect.

On to the movie in particular yeah, Prof. X killing some people he cares about deeply, hurting the others severely in the hundreds which we can assume were mostly the children at the school... yeah that probably had a huge affect on him, and Wolverine who as they said was more resistant to it thanks to healing factor.

Just be happy you got a good x-men movie for once. But as an x-men fan, you were never getting a happy ending if they follow the theme of the comics.
The comics can do fucked up things and deny the heroes happiness.

Sometimes they're best not adapted.

GamerJM

Banned
I thought it was completely fine but I wasn't impressed by it at all. My biggest issue is that the whole movie I felt like I was watching something that was made with the goal of making me feel emotional about the end of Wolverine as a character in the X-Men universe and it just.....didn't.

I didn't love it, and a lot of it felt dark for the sake of being dark and ending the story. The characters barely had any evolution over the story and overall I thought it was good, but not near the praise at hand.

Don't look at Logan as a culmination of the convoluted timeline and mythology of the previous X-Men films. It works as a great standalone film about a man that has led a shitty life but still tried to do good, and somehow finds peace with himself at the end of it all.
The emotional payoff is amplified by our having had 17 years of experience with the actor in the character, not the mythology. It is the actor finally having a last hurrah with the character and going out on a strong note.

The second you start nitpicking continuity in the film with the other mutant films, you start to undermine what the film was going for. This isn't a culmination of the X-Men films. This is a culmination of Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart's times with their characters and giving them a proper and emotional sendoff.

Fury451

Banned
It's almost like the movie shows that life sucks sometimes and horrible things happen to good people, and some people aren't so good.

But then there's still hope.

The movie is great because it doesn't give a shit about you or your precious canon. Best comic book movie since The Dark Knight, easily.

MisterHero

The problem with ignoring the continuity is that someday you might want a sequel with Laura, and well, her origin is probably gonna count.

They could also ignore Laura and put Daken in the main series. They need a Wolverine whatever the case may be.

BriGuy

Just look at it as a stand-alone story set in an alternate universe. I think that's what it is supposed to be.

DeSo

Banned
Sounds like you didn't like it because it was such a downer and I can understand that. It's still an excellent film though.

Alright who changed that title? I'm dying over here.

At least now it's more in line with what the OP is saying instead of the ungraceful hyperbole that used to be there.

And it's true. Logan is a mean, mean motherfucking movie. I can see how that would turn people off, I definitely have friends who will never, ever see it because they can't handle the grisly fates met by our heroes. I love it, but I understand it's not the most accessible piece of cinema.

Top Bottom