• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan was a mean movie and still a mean future for the mutants stop being so mean

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What is in your opinion?

We've gotten Logan, Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman in one year, all great films. Saying one of those 3 is the best comic book movie of the year isn't an out there opinion, they're all that good.

You are entitled to your opinion man.

I would rank the comic book movies so far this year as

1. Logan
2. Guardians
3. Wonder Woman

or

2. Wonder Woman
3. Guardians

I loved them all.

Logan hit me on the emotional side. Fucking amazing send off to the wolverine we have known for nearly 20 years and great send off to Prof X also. Gets top spot for me.

I can't decide where Guardians and WW belong. They both were great movies.

Guardians though felt more of the same, but none the less was a blast and really enjoyable. The set pieces were fantastic, the jokes hit the right tones for me and of course the sound track was great.

Wonder Woman was also really great. The scene when she liberates the town, fucking amazing. After reflecting on the movie though, I want to put it at the same level as Cap: FA and I really like Cap: FA. Like I feel everybody was super excited that DC got a good movie out after BvS and SS faltered.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
We've gotten Logan, Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman in one year, all great films. Saying one of those 3 is the best comic book movie of the year isn't an out there an opinion, they're all that good.

but Logan is the best.

Mesoian

What is in your opinion?

I enjoyed Guardians more than Logan.

But i'll give it up for both movies, because both had people openly weeping in the audience by the credit roll.

We've gotten Logan, Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman in one year, all great films. Saying one of those 3 is the best comic book movie of the year isn't an out there opinion, they're all that good.

Wonder Woman isn't that good. I enjoyed it a lot, but there are a LOT of things wrong with that movie.

New002

Yo I'm just asking a question because I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to fight someone over their opinion on this. And no, to me they're not all that good, but that's just my opinion :)

I enjoyed Guardians more than Logan.

But i'll give it up for both movies, because both had people openly weeping in the audience by the credit roll.

Wonder Woman isn't that good. I enjoyed it a lot, but there are a LOT of things wrong with that movie.

Gotcha! Thought it might be Guardians :)

I totally agree about Wonder Woman, except I wouldn't say I enjoyed it a lot :( I enjoyed parts of it. There were some bright spots for sure, but I just wasn't feelin' it as much as I hoped I would. Loved Gal and her take on WW in it though so hopefully I enjoy the inevitable sequel more.

Mesoian

The last 20 minutes of WW are a big dump on the floor. It's a real shame because up until that point, it's an upward slope of greatness.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I read your OP and what the director said doesn't at all change what Jackman said. According to the director Jackman's words were taken out of context but in the correct text what was his statement supposed to mean? The words "alternative universe" are still present there in that order

???

That's pretty definitive, but the director also followed up and clarified that Jackman's statement just meant that the team had freedom to do what they wished by setting the film after the events of Days of Future Past. "Because we take place after all the other movies, we have freedom. That's all he meant. Breathe."

It was the "darkest timeline scenario" for the Fox X-Men universe, and I am fine with that. It really seemed like the most fitting way to end Logan as a character and overall was just a good send off for Hugh Jackman as well as Patrick Stewart. I think getting rid of the vast majority of the mutants only helped put more focus on the central plot. I would also generally like to think that Wolverine is still alive in the 'happy' DOFP alternate timeline.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I haven't seen Wonder Woman but GotG 2 is far, far worse than Logan.

What do you expect from a Spike fan ?

judgingyou.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
like I said...this does not change the fact that Hugh Jackman used the words "alternate universe"

in the context of fictional storytelling, we all know what that means. the director's statement didn't reverse that

So the director doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to his own movie?

d00d3n

Xavier getting Alzheimers and becoming a weapon of mass destruction when he gets epileptic seizures is the perfect superhero movie idea. The notion that his immortal mutant friend is the only one who can survive the mass destruction and get close enough to inject him with anti-epileptic drugs is also a perfect superhero movie idea. These are AAA ideas in a movie that is also full of great action set pieces and a story that doesn't suck. How can you dismiss this masterpiece just because you find the main character to be mean?

Logan > Wonder Woman >>> Guardians 2

The order of those first two might change once the home releases come out though, I'll have to wait and see but I really enjoyed both of them on first watch. Guardians 2, on the other hand, I can only see suffering even more on second viewing, as I think the first two thirds of the movie will really drag when I already know exactly what's coming.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Xavier getting Alzheimers and becoming a weapon of mass destruction when he gets epileptic seizures is the perfect superhero movie idea. The notion that his immortal mutant friend is the only one who can survive the mass destruction and get close enough to inject him with anti-epileptic drugs is also a perfect superhero movie idea. These are AAA ideas in a movie that is also full of great action set pieces and a story that doesn't suck. How can you dismiss this masterpiece just because you find the main character to be mean?

Because it lacked sassy quips and people in general don't want true tragedy in their comic book movies, just outward displays of grim dark. I loved the movie but you have people in here who prefer the Disney Cinematic Coaster ride that is Guardians 2 which memory has already oozed out of from my brain in record time.

Because it lacked sassy quips and people in general don't want true tragedy in their comic book movies, just outward displays of grim dark. I loved the movie but you have people in here who prefer the Disney Cinematic Coaster ride that is Guardians 2 which memory has already oozed out of from my brain in record time.

This post is too sassy and quippy, not enough steaks either 2/10

Jumeira

Banned
OP, suffering is just as much part of life as is joy. This is simply acknowledged in Logan. If its too much for you stick to Marvel, main hero's will always be safe dont worry.

OP, suffering is just as much part of life as is joy. This is simply acknowledged in Logan. If its too much for you stick to Marvel, main hero's will always be safe dont worry.

This isnt life, its a movie. This means you can very easily see when something is done purely for gratification, Logan is no exception in that regard.

And no, some people suffer without knowing joy. Ive seen so much fucking death and misery that obviously im not going to go out of my way to watch films that use that as a means to make money.

That said Logan is still a really well made movie thats just not for everyone.

life sucks get over it

Indeed it does, more so for some than others.
What was your point though?

PolishQ

like I said...this does not change the fact that Hugh Jackman used the words "alternate universe"

in the context of fictional storytelling, we all know what that means. the director's statement didn't reverse that
Just watched Logan tonight for the first time. Doesn't Jackman's "alternate universe" line have something to do with there being X-Men comics in this world? I took that to mean that this was outside of existing continuity.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is the least of the cbm this year, and will be 4th when Thor Ragnarok comes out. Logan is just on another level.

Top Bottom