• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longest distance you have driven by car?

Media

Southern New Mexico to North Dakota. (that one sucked, had two kids in diapers and literally had staples in my stomach from surgery lol) Then east North Dakota to Western Washington state.

In a week, I'll be driving from Central Illinois to Austin Texas.

Ryoku

Rockville, MD --> Chicago, IL --> Mt. Rushmore, SD --> Yellowstone, WY --> Crater Lake, OR --> Redwood Forest, CA --> SF, CA --> LA, CA --> Grand Canyon, AZ --> Denver, CO ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) --> Rockville, MD
>6000 miles

However, if I want to plan a trip with friends and they hear the word "road trip," the idea gets shot down immediately. Guess it's one of those things you have to have instilled in you from the beginning.
Same here. No one likes the idea of road trip or being a driver for more than an hour. The worst is my boyfriend and his distaste for mountains and big bridges. Going out to the Bay Area or Yosemite is like pulling teeth.

dickroach

in one straight shot? about 1250 miles. NY to South FL

in one trip? 11,000+miles around the country. South FL to Seattle and back. tons of stops along the way

el jacko

Philadelphia to Seattle, indirect, through New Orleans, most of Texas and Salt Lake City. I'm actually still working on it, arrived in Austin tonight!

Driving with a friend so we can split the load, and we've divided up the days well enough so it's never more than ~7 hours in the car a day. The two longest were probably a Pittsburgh-Columbus, IN day which included a detour to fallingwater, or today which took us from New Orleans to Austin. Both about 500+ miles with significant portions off main roads at night

My family drives down South every summer for vacation, so for us, our longest drive would be around 1,350 miles. New York to Marco Island, FL. We break it up into two and a half days.

Zizbuka

Banned
Coming home from Orlando, FL to Intercourse, PA. I think it was just over 1000 miles. Planned on spending the night in Virginia, but decided to go straight through. Did it 3 times so far, though now that the kid's older I'm not sure we'll go back to Disney World.

sarcastor

drove my dad, his wife, and some of his old friends from Vietnam in a giant van

from Orange County > Las Vegas > Fresno > San Francisco > Monterey > San Luis Obispo > Orange County = 1,300 miles

in like a 8 days. God damn that was miserable. At least I didn't have to listen to Vietnamese music at all.

150km max. Anything further than that I took public transportation or have someone else drive. You can tell I am not a fan of driving long distance.

Rounder

Neo Member
Drove from California to Florida nonstop using just the I-10 in about 50 hours with two other friends. Literally pulled over to nap on the hood because we were tired of sitting. One of my worst decision of my life.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The longest in one shot without breaks was 700 miles from Las Vegas, NV to Steamboat Springs, CO.
The longest with breaks and sleep was Garden Grove, CA to Bath, MN. 3,115 miles one way.

320 mile round trip, that's there and back. Took about 6 hours cause of traffic on the M6. Insignificant compared to some of you guys. The UK is not that big I guess.

It was around 1,800 miles. It was after I separated from the Air Force. I drove from my duty station (Minot, ND) to my hometown (San Diego, CA). I stopped halfway in Utah and got like five hours of sleep before driving the rest of the way.

mhayes86

G7tOUmH.jpg

My wife and I did a road trip around New Zealand for our honeymoon, which was roughly over 3500 km/2000 miles. It was over the course of three weeks, though, so it wasn't as intense as some of the others here. The longest drive was 8 hours in one day going from Queenstown to Milford Sound and back.

caramac

From where I live in England up to Peterhead which is about 40mls north of Aberdeen. It was a round trip of around 880 miles over a 24hr period. The last half of the return leg was pretty tiring.

Garibaldi

We did San Fran to New York back in 2011. Totalled about 4500 miles I think. Can't remember exactly. Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Chicago, Niagara and Manhattan. Then flew back to the UK.

EDIT: Longest on my motorbike (Yamaha R6 at the time) was the MCN version of the North Coast 500 around Scotland. The route is 767 miles (redubbed the NC767) with another few hundred to get from home to start and end to home. Totalled about 1000 miles in 3 days.

DocSeuss

I've always wanted to go on a really long road trip with friends, but it's never happened.

Longest I've been on was Wichita, KS, to Niagara Falls, NY? Google says 17 hours of driving, but shows the route going through Canada, and we went through Ohio and Pennsylvania first.

Osahi

Little over 2000 km to Portugal. Did it in two days, with a sleepover around 900, so second day was harder. My wife and me changed every three hours or so too. Got to keep it safe.

I once drove (or rode along) from Bergen to Harstad in Norway. 1500km. Took about 26 hours I think. My friend and his brother switched between driving while I got drunk.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Dont understand how some of you guys do it damn. Perhaps having a nice car helps ..

Did 4000km in 3 days driving 2 up in a trademans ute towing a log splitter on the way back.

Really think about truck drivers, doing thousands of kilometres a week is normal.

380 km one way non-stop, 15 minutes coffe break, then the same 380 km going back also non stop (I was dropping my family on the seaside then going back).

Took me about 8 hours total due to shitty traffic. Sometimes I was going 190 km/h other times 40 km/h :(

Fastest I've ever run my car was 206 km/h.

Victoria, BC to Halifax, NS.

Not sure how far that is but it's basically from coast to coast in Canada. We were moving and for some reason our family didn't want to fly.

I do pretty long road trips every summer. So far my longest was a little over 5,000 mi (~8,000 km) in 2013:

0jNT2kZ.png

The original plan was IL->Denver->Portland->Seattle->Minneapolis->Back to IL, but at the end I had to scrap the Minneapolis portion due to time.

Longest distance in a single day is about 900 miles (~1,500 km) from St Louis to Cheyenne, WY.

1500 km in one day is CRAZY. Hope you drove a comfortable car, man.

Zona

1500 miles from Long Island to near Oklahoma City. I was going to do it in two 12 hour days, but my mother guilted me into making it three with constant phone calls about how anxious it made her that I was going to try for 2.

LayLa

600 miles in one day, when I went to bed at the end of it the whole room felt like it was constantly flying towards me lol. Hats off to those who have done 1000 plus, think I'd go crazy.

TAD

Birmingham to Glasgow is the longest single journey I've done, been there a couple of times.

But with work I've been to Essex (~150 miles away), arrived about 10am,worked until 7pm and driven back, that's a lot worse than a single trip.

My family drives fairly often from Southern MN to north/central Idaho fairly often to visit family. ~1,370 miles one way. We never stop for hotels or sleep. Just drive in shifts. For some events when we can't get PTO, we've done the trip, stayed for a day, and then driven back. It's happened maybe 5-6 times I can remember. ~2,740 miles in 72 hours sucks.

Also go south to other family in Texas, though not as often. ~1,070 miles or so.

Absolutely hate stopping on road trips. Don't know how people do it. Drive straight through, get the shit over with.

I've driven about 600km in one day but even that had a few hour break inbetween. The most I've driven without a break is around 200km I think, so nothing particularly long.

Machine

I think my longest was from Flint, MI to Lakeland, FL which is about 1,200 miles. I probably could have driven straight through but ended up stopping about an hour south of Atlanta and finishing in the morning to avoid throwing off my sleep schedule.

Top Bottom