• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back at this generation of Nintendo games

Zalman

As we are about to close the book on another Nintendo generation, I figured we could look back on how the different first-party franchises did on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. I’ll go over the major franchises and give my opinion on their performance. I won’t cover every game, but I’ll talk about the ones I feel are the most important. You can discuss what you think of the generation overall below, but please give reasons too so we can have decent discussions.

Edit: Keep in mind I intentionally left out certain games because I mainly wanted to focus on old IPs and how they did. This isn't a "Nintendo Gen 8 Hall of Fame" thread, I mention bad games too. Feel free to talk about other games though.

Super Mario:
fQyoMBt.png
As always, Mario played a big role in Nintendo’s plans. As far as the main series goes, we saw three 2D games and two 3D games. New Super Mario Bros. 2 and U were released extremely close to each other, which I feel was a big mistake. The games themselves are actually pretty great, but I think people were already tired of the “New” style of Mario after the Wii version. Super Mario Maker released last year and has been received much better. We finally have an official and seamless way to create our own Mario levels. I feel it’s an important game for a couple of reasons. One, it showcases the value of the GamePad fairly well, and two, it will likely be a part of Nintendo’s future going forward.

When it comes to 3D Mario, we have Super Mario 3D Land and World. 3D Land was the first time we got an original 3D Mario game on a handheld, and it was universally acclaimed at the time of its release. To this day, I think it is still the best example of what stereoscopic 3D can do for gaming. For Wii U, Nintendo decided to build upon the concept of 3D Land, which led to Super Mario 3D World. This game didn’t have as smooth of a run as 3D Land. Despite also being received very well, many fans would have liked something brand new and original. To be frank, I’m tired of the whole “real 3D Mario” talk, so I won’t even go there. However, I do think it’s an incredibly well-made game, and it’s pretty important for the franchise in the sense that it is the first 3D Mario game to support 4 players.

Mario Kart:
Mario Kart had a good run this generation. 7 came out around the same time as 3D Land and really kickstarted 3DS sales. It introduced gliders and underwater sections. These were neat little additions that evolved the game without changing the formula too much. Then Mario Kart 8 came out, and I remember being surprised by the high production values compared to Mario Kart Wii. Everything from the visuals to the music just seemed leagues above the previous entires. I guess the massive success of Mario Kart Wii is part of the reason for it. Anyway, fantastic game. In my opinion the best in the series.

Luigi’s Mansion:
I feel like Luigi deserves some credit here. Luigi’s Mansion on the GameCube was seen as an “underdog game” for quite a long time. It took over a decade for Nintendo to bring it back, and it has now outsold its predecessor by a pretty big margin. When the sequel got announced, I personally felt that the first game finally got the respect it deserved. People started talking about it again, and if you forget the initial shock that Mario wasn’t there for the GameCube launch, there’s actually a lot to like about the game. I’m pretty happy Luigi’s Mansion 2 happened, and I’d love to see more revivals like it in the future.

Yoshi:
Wii U got Yoshi’s Woolly World and 3DS got Yoshi’s New Island. The latter is… not that great. However, Woolly World? I really like it. To me, it’s the best Yoshi game since the original Yoshi’s Island. I know that doesn’t really say much, but I did enjoy the game quite a bit. Also, those amiibo plushies are cute. Admit it.

Wario:
I don’t have much to say about Wario. There was no Wario Land game and no WarioWare game. Well, sort of. We got Game & Wario, which was basically a tech demo for the GamePad. It’s pretty mediocre, to be honest, which is a shame.

Donkey Kong:
Retro ended up making a sequel to the beloved Donkey Kong Country Returns, and we all know how that announcement was received. However, I think it has found quite a big following – especially here on GAF. Tropical Freeze also marked the return of composer David Wise, which resulted in a fantastic soundtrack. Donkey Kong might not have been what most people wanted from Retro, but I think Tropical Freeze will be looked back on as a truly great game.

Returns was also ported to 3DS, which has become my favorite way to play it. It’s nice to have a modern Donkey Kong game on the go and one for the home console in the same generation, although it is fair to question whether both were necessary.

The Legend of Zelda:
The Wii U still hasn’t received an original Zelda game. However, it did get two great remasters. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are great additions to the Wii U library, and I’m honestly surprised they didn’t decide to do more of these. Especially since they very clearly turned down the budget of Wii U releases later on.

Another game I think is worth talking about is Hyrule Warriors, the odd-yet-fitting collaboration with Koei Tecmo. It’s the ultimate fan service game for Zelda nerds. Some of the most obscure characters are playable. It’s like Smash Bros., except just for Zelda. I found it to be pretty fun, and it’s still receiving content to this day.

Lastly, I can’t forget the 3DS. This is where Zelda truly shined. Not only did we get two remakes, Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora’s Mask 3D, but we also got A Link Between Worlds (my favorite 3DS game) and Tri Force Heroes. I have to be honest here – I think this might be a little too much Zelda. It’s almost as if they took all their Metroid resources and put them into this franchise. Nevertheless, great games all around.

Metroid:
I feel bad about writing this one, but it has to be done. I’m tempted to say Metroid was missing in action for this entire generation, but that’s not really true. Federation Force is coming, and honestly, it might be a good game. Next Level Games know what they’re doing. However, it’s clear that wasn’t what fans wanted when they screamed “METROID” for most of the generation. Metroid has seen better times, that’s for sure.

Kid Icarus:
One of the first games Nintendo announced for the Wii U/3DS generation, and boy what a way to start. This was the first Kid Icarus game in almost two decades. Directed by Masahiro Sakurai himself, one could almost call this an entirely new IP. Everything was new – not just the gameplay, but the characters were also redesigned (although mostly based on the Brawl models). The game is remarkable, and it has one of the best soundtracks of the generation if you ask me. However, it was undoubtedly held back by the controls. It feels like it should have been a home console game, but overall I think it’s one of the highlights of the generation.

Fire Emblem:
This generation was super important for Fire Emblem. Awakening basically saved the series, and it is now more successful than ever – both critically and commercially. The franchise has had an unusual history. For the longest time it was a Japan-only series, but it has now become a million-seller worldwide and a big part of Nintendo’s all-star lineup. The 3DS also got Fire Emblem Fates, which has also been received very well in the Americas and Japan. Europe is still waiting for it!

Kirby:
Nintendo continues to show Kirby a lot of love. Both Wii U and 3DS received a Kirby game, with a second 3DS one coming in a few months. Rainbow Curse is a sequel to the popular Canvas Curse on DS, while Triple Deluxe is a more traditional game in the series. Personally, I’m a big fan of Triple Deluxe. I think it might actually be my favorite Kirby game ever. I was just a joy to play, and I really enjoyed the music too. I’m optimistic about Planet Robobot too.

Star Fox:
After completely skipping the Wii, we finally got a new Star Fox game. At the time of writing this, I have not yet played Star Fox Zero, but I am at least happy to see Fox back on the big screen. I’m happy the Platinum team-up happened, at long last. The 3DS also received a great remake of Star Fox 64, which was a welcome addition to the library early on.

Pokémon:
You can’t have a Nintendo handheld without Pokémon. X and Y started the 6th generation, and a year later we got remakes of the 3rd; Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. I can talk about Pokémon for ages, so I’ll try to make it short. What I will say is that I really enjoyed both of these releases – especially X and Y. It added quite a few QoL improvements that an old school fan like me really appreciated. Having Pokémon games aren’t exactly an accomplishment for the generation as they are always a given, but it’s clear the franchise is still going strong and that’s what matters. I’m looking forward to Sun and Moon.

Oh, and Wii U received my favorite Pokémon spin-off since the N64. Pokkén Tournament is a Tekken “crossover” by Bandai Namco, but it barely plays anything like Tekken. I appreciate how unique it is, and I see a lot of potential in a sequel. I hope it happens.

Animal Crossing:
Currently one of Nintendo’s most important franchises, Animal Crossing had a great run on 3DS. New Leaf is an excellent title and is considered a big improvement over the previous couple of games. The game is significant as it introduced Isabelle; a new character that would end up becoming the face of the franchise. This is pretty unusual for any franchise, so it’s kind of neat to see. Happy Home Designer came out in 2015 and was a spin-off that focused on the home designing aspect of the series. Aand... That's all I have to say about Animal Crossing!

Pikmin:
After years and years of waiting, Pikmin 3 was finally released on Wii U. Pikmin 3 is a true gem in the Wii U library. It was the game that sold me on the GamePad. Being able to control three different characters and tell one of them to go somewhere while you control another was a game changer for the series. It almost feels like the GamePad was made for this game. Combine this with the excellent pointer controls of the New Play Control ports and you have a real winner in your hands. If Pikmin 4 goes back to completely traditional controls, it would be a huge step back for the series.

Xenoblade Chronicles:
It actually felt like Nintendo tried to make Xenoblade a thing this generation. Shulk became playable in Smash and the first game got ported to the 3DS. Both great moves in my eyes. However, the real star of the show is of course Xenoblade Chronicles X. Despite a somewhat controversial soundtrack, I really enjoyed this game. I thought I was sick of open world games, but I thought this one was very well done. I can’t wait to see what’s next for the series.

Super Smash Bros.:
Sakurai blessed us with not just one, but two Smash Bros. games. For the first time in the history of the franchise, we got a handheld version too. The game is a technical marvel on the 3DS and it plays as well as you can expect a handheld version to play. The Wii U version didn’t arrive until a couple of months later, but the 50-fact video made it clear it would be the definitive version. Still my most played Wii U game to date, and definitely my favorite in the series.

Missing in action: Every generation ends up ignoring certain franchises, and this one is no exception. There was no Punch-Out game on Wii U and 3DS despite there being one on Wii. However, if we give Metroid a pass, I think the biggest no-show here is F-Zero. It’s been quite a long time since we’ve had a new entry. But hey, at least we got those cool Mario Kart 8 tracks, right?

Anyway, I’m done. I hope people actually read this, haha. Feel free to talk about how you think the different franchises did, and whether you think Nintendo did a good job in terms of variety, but please try to give reasons too. Personally, I think it’s been a pretty strong generation for Nintendo first-party, but let me know what you think.

DocSeuss

I'm astonished at the amount of underwhelmed I feel looking at the covers of all these games. Nothing here really appealed to me, really sold me on the idea of Nintendo as a must-buy platform.

Why did I even buy Nintendo devices this gen? I guess I had a lot of fun with Pokemon, but... beyond that? Did I really need Nintendo? I'm not really sure.

My fun was largely contained to virtual console. :\

I'm astonished at the amount of underwhelmed I feel looking at the covers of all these games. Nothing here really appealed to me, really sold me on the idea of Nintendo as a must-buy platform.

Why did I even buy Nintendo devices this gen? I guess I had a lot of fun with Pokemon, but... beyond that? Did I really need Nintendo? I'm not really sure.

My fun was largely contained to virtual console. :

They published way more than those boxarts listed.

It's a shame their small digital projects don't get the love they deserve.

Chase17

Nice write-up! I think it's been a fantastic generation for Nintendo games, and am very excited to see what the NX era brings.

Also one of the best Mario spinoffs, Captain Toad, was born this gen. So that's a big plus.

jonjonaug

I bought nearly every game listed here and enjoyed every one that I played. Nintendo has been super on the ball this gen with exclusives and I can't wait to see what they have in store for the NX.

Also, no Captain Toad or Splatoon?

I'm largely meh on this generation, they're all mostly well designed yes, but I think they ought to rethink HD development and build more assets that can be reused so we can get games out faster which is their main issue before any single franchise reappearing.

It seems even Nintendo had to swallow the bitter pill that is HD development. I can only hope that it didn't poison them to death.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I liked this generation, but I wasn't as engaged with it as I was past generations. I don't know if this is me or Nintendo, though. For franchise highlights, Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, and (maybe) Animal Crossing: New Leaf feel like games that will be remembered. Some may remember ALBW, too, but it wasn't my favorite (still enjoyed it!).

You missed Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and to a lower extent the Animal Crossing Plaza.

I think amiibo Festival was intentional, based on the write-up. I am surprised about no New Super Luigi U, though, for Luigi games. :p

There are certainly a lot of other games that could be talked about, too (Mario RPGs, Mario spinoffs, Nintendo's new IPs, etc.), but I like what's here. Nice job, OP!

Nice list, but where is Splatoon? It was one of Nintendo's biggest games in recent years.

I would mention games like The Wonderful 101 too, it was not successful but it seems to get quite a bit of love on gaf.

dtm808

You missed Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and to a lower extent the Animal Crossing Plaza.

What are you talking about. I have never heard of that game....................

By the way OP. You missed Splatoon, Bayonetta (Its basically a Nintendo franchise now), and Smash Bros.

Zalman

The point of my post wasn't to include every good Wii U game. I mainly wanted to focus on old IP and how they did this generation, hence no Splatoon/Captain Toad/Wonderful 101 etc. You can of course talk about others I didn't mention.

Still the best exclusives around, even though they dropped the ball with shit like Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis and Mario Party.

Nothing here really appealed to me

If these games does not appeal to you, why has Nintendo games ever appealed to you? What are the games you are missing?

Besides many Nintendo games for Wii U/3DS are not included in this list, even some big games, like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Project Zero 5, Paper Mario, Pokken, Smash, Captain Toad etc.

Neiteio

Haven't had a chance to read the OP in detail yet, but skimming the pics, where's Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4, a.k.a. two of the most fun games this generation?

EDIT: Ah, I see the OP's disclaimer now

This looks like an outstanding first party support.

The only reason I still don't have a WiiU is because of the region lock, caved on the 3DS because of Fire Emblem Awakening though. I really hope the the NX is backward compatible as well as region free so that I can play all those games.

Excellent thread Zalman !

entremet

Haven't had a chance to read the OP in detail yet, but skimming the pics, where's Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4, a.k.a. two of the most fun games this generation?
Strange omissions. Two of the biggest selling too. Plus they do have a long legacy series wise given his disclaimer.

But we are feel to discuss them.

MK8 was greatness.

I think you should of talked about the Mario spinoffs, like Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc.

I can't help but feel Mario spinoffs have taken a hit in quality this gen. Sure MK7 was really good and MK8 was great, and I hear good things about Mario Golf on 3DS, but both Mario Tennis games seemed very half hearted and the Mario RPGs have slowly been getting dumbed down in terms of charm and story (especially Paper Mario, holy shit).

Josh7289

As far as Nintendo home consoles go, I think Wii U's lineup is the greatest of this century. I really hope many of its best games get ported to NX, because those titles deserve more attention.

Aldric

I thought they did a very good job digging up forgotten franchises such as Kid Icarus or to a lesser extent Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin. Their new entries for Mario Kart and Smash were also extremely solid and far superior to their Wii counterparts. I also think Tropical Freeze is up there with their absolute best games, probably the highlight of this generation of Nintendo games for me along with Splatoon.

Mario is a different story, overall it felt very stale. The best game was probably 3D Land, a very good fit for its system and a pretty innovative take on the formula while 3D World was comparatively my biggest disappointment. The NSMB series far outstayed its welcome and overall it feels like the Mario franchise is in need of a shake up.

I'm satisfied with Zelda, Hyrule Warriors was a very well done spinoff and AlbW one of the best games on the 3DS, plus all the polished remasters on 3DS and Wii U. Overall a satisfying gen, which is obviously not the case for Metroid. Not much to say here except it's definitely their biggest blunder.

Generally speaking I thought it was a solid few years of software for Nintendo, despite their hardware problems.

butalala

I think that Nintendo has made some of its best software of all time this generation. Sucks that it's stuck on underwhelming hardware.

I saw your disclaimer, but I don't understand why you omit Smash 4 and Kart 8. Both series are over 15 years old and their most recent releases are arguably the best of their series.

Splatoon and Nintendo Land are also wonderful and deserving of mention.

Almost every 1st party WiiU and 3DS game they put out was a homerun for me.

LM: Dark Moon in particular was really something special. Played it during halloween and it really captured and complemented the vibe of the season. Would absolutely adore a seuqel, handheld or console.

I think that Nintendo has made some of its best software of all time this generation. Sucks that it's stuck on underwhelming hardware.

I saw your disclaimer, but I don't understand why you omit Smash 4 and Kart 8. Both series are over 15 years old and their most recent releases are arguably the best of their series.

Splatoon and Nintendo Land are also wonderful and deserving of mention.

No lies detected here.

Great OP, thanks for doing this. Having played Nintendo since the NES, I can say with confidence that Wii U/3DS library is the best since SNES in my eyes. Freed from the burden of their blue ocean strategy and making classic IP acessible to the Wii Sports crowd, Nintendo focused on making immersive, polished, content rich adventures with fun and novel play control. I'd say that Mario Kart 8 is the game really exemplifies this era. They really poured their heart out to give us the dream Mario Kart experience when they could have coasted.

Neiteio

Here's how I see it, in no particular ordert:

Kid Icarus Uprising — One of the greatest Nintendo titles ever made. Sakurai's masterpiece. Crown jewel of the 3DS. A Top 15 Game of All Time.

Luigi's Mansion 2 — A fantastic sequel to a series that deserved one. Unexpected but much appreciated!

A Link Between Worlds — Probably the best-playing 2D Zelda ever made (although it competes with Link's Awakening DX in my heart)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf — Best in its series

Pikmin 3 — Best in its series

Mario Kart 8 — Best in its series

Super Smash Bros. 4 — Best in its series

Pokemon X/Y — Best in their series

Kirby Triple Deluxe — (A contender for) best in its series

DKC: Tropical Freeze — (Tied with DKC2 for) best in its series

Yoshi's Wooly World (Almost the) best in its series

Remakes/remasters of OoT, MM, TWW, TP, SF64, DKCR — All masterful

Hyrule Warriors — Top-notch spinoff

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker — Top-notch spinoff

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse — Very welcome sequel

Super Mario 3D World — Superb game, a blast with four players

Super Mario Maker — The freshest and best-playing 2D Mario, plus infinite content

Splatoon — One of the best shooters and most fun online multiplayer games ever

Xenoblade Chronicles X — One of the most amazing worlds in all of videogames

Fire Emblem Awakening + Fates — The most successful the series has ever been

...I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting offhand.

And oh, I can play DKC2, EarthBound, etc, on a portable now.

The State of the Union is strong, my friends.

Astral Dog

The point of my post wasn't to include every good Wii U game. I mainly wanted to focus on old IP and how they did this generation, hence no Splatoon/Captain Toad/Wonderful 101 etc. You can of course talk about others I didn't mention.
you should or else there will be many posts like these.
Of the 40 games you listed, 14 were Wii U titles. That's what went wrong with the Wii U.

Chase17

Some slightly in depth thoughts. I would probably consider platformers my favorite genre of game, so this gen has pleased me greatly. I consider NSMBU the strongest of the "new" mario games, and was also very pleased by Luigi U. At first I wasn't sure about the 100 second time limit, but it grew on me. As you rarely hit the 100 second mark in the other games, it offered a nice variety to the main game.

Both 3D Land and 3D World were superb. Went crazy with 3D land and beat every level with Mario and Luigi to get that screen select star. While some aren't too fond of the 2.5d these games took on, I've been pleasantly surprised and feel that it is the natural 3D evolution of the classic Mario games. Been meaning to run through 3D World again too.

DK Tropic Freeze is an excellent follow up DKCR. Love that there is a weight present in this game that isn't present in Mario. Nice challenge too, only think that probably tops it this gen is the 3D World final level.

As for a few other things that stood out this gen, I was happy with how Captain Toad and Tri Force Heroes turned out. Feel like these are perhaps the two biggest examples of reusing prior game assists in an experimental way.

This gen also brought us Hyrule Warriors and Pokken, spin offs developed by a 3rd party. Never really been interested in Warriors games or fighting outside of smash (although I'm getting more into this now) and these games were a great introduction for me. Would like to see Nintendo allow for more partnerships like this.

Music, which for whatever reason is important to me, has been on point this gen too.

Anyways, might write up some more thoughts later. Two biggest Wii U games left for me to beat are Yoshi and XBX. I'm hoping to get to these this summer, and have heard some mixed things about both.

Edit: need to try out Rainbow Curse too

Zalman

Alright, I decided to add Mario Kart and Smash after all because I felt like I had some things to say about them.

Decent generation.

The worst generation for Mario, imho. I won't be hyperbolic - 3D World is just my least favourite 3D Mario, and while New Super Mario Bros. U is a good entry in the 2D series, it added very little to the DS/Wii episodes. Sticker Star and Paper Jam are my least favourite Mario RPGs, too.

On the other hand, I appreciated Nintendo's efforts to introduce Splatoon; Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 are fantastic entries in their series; Luigi's Mansion 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze and Zelda: ALBW are some other favourites. Can't wait for Zelda U.

Thud

ALBW and Mario Kart 8 are the best things from this cylus.

It reminds me that old franchises can feel fresh and just need that sweet control.

Jawmuncher

Smash Bros COULD have been the perfect game. But alas no snake hurts it.

As for the rest the output was decent, but the release schedule for the WiiU titles was so odd. I bought the system for stuff like snake in smash and Xenoblade. Then Xenoblade comes out at like the end of its life. Despite being revealed so early.

Going to play it safe next time.

DJwest

I'm not a fan of 2D platformers so the Wii U output was pretty underwhelming for me. This console needed a Mario Galaxy 3 and we still don't have a Zelda. My Wii U library is basically:
-Mario 3D World
-Bayonetta2
-Wonderful 101
-Mario Kart 8
-Zelda WW HD
-Zelda TP HD
I'm considering buying Splatoon and maybe Xenoblade despite the serious complaints I've heard. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the Wii U and will probably wait until the tail end of the NX life cycle to jump in unless Nintendo delivers an E3 of dreams with amazing first party titles. More 3D Mario please!

jdstorm

Banned
I'm not a fan of 2D platformers so the Wii U output was pretty underwhelming for me. This console needed a Mario Galaxy 3 and we still don't have a Zelda. My Wii U library is basically:
-Mario 3D World
-Bayonetta2
-Wonderful 101
-Mario Kart 8
-Zelda WW HD
-Zelda TP HD
I'm considering buying Splatoon and maybe Xenoblade despite the serious complaints I've heard. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the Wii U and will probably wait until the tail end of the NX life cycle to jump in unless Nintendo delivers an E3 of dreams with amazing first party titles. More 3D Mario please!

No Lego City Undercover? Based on the games you bought you'd probably enjoy it

TI82

Banned
Handful of good games, lots of mediocre games and some outright bad ones. One of the weaker Nintendo sagas unfortunately. Obviously just my opinion before a defensive fan jumps down my throat.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That's a killer library of games, and that's missing out on a bunch of eShop exclusives (Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Sakura Samurai, the various games ending in -mo, etc.) and other retail titles that Nintendo funded like Lego City Undercover, Bayonetta 2, and Devil's Third.

Nintendo may have had a hard time with hardware sales this generation but they were certainly killing it with their software output.

GamerJM

Banned
Lots of quality stuff, as Nintendo has consistently given us since the 80s. I wouldn't say it was as strong as the Gamecube or Wii's but it was still strong overall.

Zebei

This is the gen that made me a nintendo fan. Grew up with Playstation and missed out on a lot of games. But this gen knocked it out of the park for me.

Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite game of all time, W101 is my 3rd favorite, the new smash being on a handheld is amazing even if it isn't perfect, ALBW is awesome, Tropical Freeze is marvelous (and so is its music), and the list goes on and on.

Nintendo may not have been perfect this gen by any means, but damn are there some fine titles for the 2 systems. Looking at it like this makes it really nice.

Mario Kart 8 is hands down the best Mario Kart.

Super Luigi U is the best 2D Mario since the SNES.

Wind Waker HD became my favourite Zelda, period.

Yoshi's Wooly World was relaxing and wonderful, the anti-Dark Souls.

Super Mario 3D World is my favourite 3D Mario.

Nintendo absolutely killed it this gen. Easily their best output since the 16-bit days, and with no compromises like the Wii (SD) or N64 (cartridge medium limiting cinemas and soundtracks) had.

I kinda want to see someone do something similar but looking back on the new franchises Nintendo made this gen, Pushmo, Code Name STEAM, Splatoon, Dillions Rolling Western, Steel Diver, etc.

Glass Rebel

It was an alright generation. Had some of my favourite Nintendo games in fact. However, I'm gonna be a Debbie Downer here and complain about two things I didn't like:

Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi
I've completely lost interest in both series. Dream Team was still pretty good but Paper Jam just has to be the most unimaginative sequel in recent memory. It really feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel there. Similarly, Paper Mario has just completely lost what drew me to the first two entries. It's selfish because I'm sure there's people that enjoy these game regardless but I really wish Nintendo would put both series on ice and give Alpha Dream and Intelligent Systems the opportunity to work on other stuff.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. aka "Where is Advance Wars?"
I know we like to complain about Nintendo milking their franchises but S.T.E.A.M. was just underwhelming across the board for me. From the unappealing artstyle to the slow gameplay I just kept thinking how much I'd rather play a new Advance Wars game. I enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates looks to be even better but they're no replacement. I hope they come up with a way to resurrect the series
waifu tanks

Ponn

Banned
Been more than happy with the 3DS output, mostly because the third party JRPG stuff has been great for me. Have a huge backlog to sustain me for years and quite a few games I will want to replay. 3DS made me a Fire Emblem fan.

There's a handful of Wii U games that interest me and I started picking up some of them like Pikmin 3 Selects and Bayonetta 2 and I need to get Wonderful 101 and I have FE # preordered. I'm just waiting till after E3 to see if NX is going to be BC or not. Wii U not dropping price is killing it for me, really hard to spend $300 on a console with only a handful of games you want to play and its future already sealed.

Somnid

They went Zelda crazy, I think the new Zelda needs to be a capstone and let it sleep for a while.

Metroid went into hibernation after a rather long streak starting with the GCN. About time it comes back.

Mario could use a little slowing, I think Mario Maker pretty much settles the 2D games onto a single platform. Next time they'll have to go a different direction.

Xenoblade X is my favorite game in a very long time. I always wondered if I'd play another game like Metroid Prime or RE4 that just hit me in all the right ways, Xenoblade X was that game.

Kid Icarus was a treat. Not what I expected but in the best of ways.

It's been the golden age of Fire Emblem.

Griss

I don't have a lot to add to OP's analysis, I agree with most of it. Honestly many of these franchises have absolutely never been in a better state.

I will say, though, that the Zelda list is kind of upsetting. All those games... and how much originality? That's 4 remasters, one new game that uses an old overworld to the point that it often feels like a remake (which really hurt what was otherwise an incredible game), one multiplayer spinoff and a musou that could have been more than fanservice if it wasn't for the grindy, level-based bullshit.

Back in the day every Zelda release was an event. I can't hate on them for the remasters, I know that, especially when OoT and Wind Waker were so perfectly done. But that's a ton of Zelda games, and not one truly memorable new experience there. Lots of good games, but... not how it used to be.

Save us Zelda NX, and after that, perhaps a fallow period.

EDIT: I'll also say that I was expecting Xenoblade to become my 'favourite new Nintendo franchise' after the original blew me away but XCX killed that stone dead. Hugely disappointing game in a ton of ways to the point that the next one would need astonishing word of mouth for me to pick it up.

jnWake

Fire Emblem is clearly the winner of the generation. From almost dying it went to become pretty popular and managed to get 6 characters in Sm4sh. It's looking brighter than ever for Fire Emblem and I hope Nintendo cashes on that. Fire Emblem NX will probably have awesome production values and I can only hope some spin-offs are coming. Soul Calibur x Fire Emblem or something like that would be incredible.

Luigi is also a big winner of the generation. From Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon to his MK8 meme, he was a big part of Nintendo's marketing for a while.

Finally, Kid Icarus Uprising made a great comeback with an awesome game and 3 characters in Sm4sh. I can only hope the franchise doesn't go dormant again. Sakurai has kind of distanced himself from an Uprising sequel but I'm sure someone else can take the realms.

Splatoon deserves a mention too, being the most successful new IP by Nintendo in quite a while.

They went Zelda crazy, I think the new Zelda needs to be a capstone and let it sleep for a while.

Not a chance, they've effectively annualised the franchise. Something with the Zelda name hits each Christmas...and now seemingly spring.

Metroid went into hibernation after a rather long streak starting with the GCN. About time it comes back.

No Metroid and no proper Fire Emblem were Nintendo's two biggest failings with the Wii U library.

Neiteio

I haven't picked up Fire Emblem Fates since I can't find the three-in-one edition, but I loved Awakening. It's pretty amazing the sort of reversal Nintendo pulled off with Fire Emblem. With Fates, they've set a precedent where each release can be like Pokemon with multiple versions. To go from rock bottom to that level of relevance and viability is just incredible.

Top Bottom