• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back at this generation of Nintendo games

MoonFrog

Core Nintendo properties for me (not in my order of preference but in some seemingly fitting order):

Mario: Competent but forgettable main entries. Mario Maker was amazing. So was Captain Toad.

Zelda: aLbW gets way too much love imo: it's a good game but nowhere near the "best Zelda in a long time." Unless the wait between it and SS was a long time :p. Zelda U has me trepidatious. So much open world, nonlinear, new direction talk for a series that has not thrived on such design, at least since OoT.

Metroid: MIA. A huge gap.

DKC: Tropical Freeze is a great game.

FE: Fates has sort of salvaged FE a bit. Awakening was atrocious and frankly should be burned :p. Conquest managed to mend some bridges in its own, fresh way while also continuing Awakening's disgusting lack of stylistic taste.

Smash Brothers: 4 is largely wonderful but I got a lot less play out of it than I'd have liked and expected. People around me weren't interested anymore.

Pokemon: I almost have a complete Pokedex now despite having skipped some of the generations! I do hope they go back towards BW, 150 new Pokemon style with Sun and Moon.

General impression: Wii U and 3DS have been good systems with quiet gems but the systems haven't blown me away. My investment in them was well placed but I want better in the future. Favorite Nintendo game of the generation is probably DKCTF.

Also, the core of Wii U was probably the Smash/MM/MK/Splatoon multiplayer experience. I only own two of those games and online multiplayer is not my chief Nintendo interest but it's a neat form of success.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think new IP deserves some mention too. Its easily the most fun game in recent years on every platforms

As owner of both a 3DS (two of them actually) and a WiiU I must say this is the first time I've bought more Nintendo games than 3rd party games for a Nintendo System, But I only own very few of the titles mentioned by the OP. In fact, I believe that I own more Nintendo games because 3rd parties didn't release as many interesting games than they did in previous generations.

I'm not one of those guys that think that Nintendo is not for me because I grew up or something, no, my relationship with Nintendo has always been like this.

Top Bottom