• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

MutFox

Banned
I've had expensive wallets gifted to me. ($700 dollar range)
They last just as long as $20 ones.

I've just stayed with $20 leather ones.
They're fine and there's a ton of variety.

Anything over is just a status symbol.

Ya'll are funny feeling "guilty" about buying something that you can/will keep for a decade or more.

Generally speaking, you should be looking to spend on things that you will use regularly, things that you'll use for a long time, and things that will appreciate in value.

You shouldn't feel guilty about buying a $1000 TV when there were similarly sized $600 models. It's going to be in your living room for 7-10 years, you know? Or a $100 pair of gym shoes when the $20 Converse's could have covered your feet. Or a $500 chair if you sit at it every day. We could all be gaming on PS2's and playing vast libraries of games for < $75...but we certainly don't feel guilty about buying PS4's, XOne's, Switches, 3DSs, $60 games, $400 GPUs, $150 shaving sets when you could buy 10 for $1 at the local Dollar Store, $200 headphones and gaming headsets when you could have spent $20 and heard the games/music, so on and so forth. Shit man, why pay $24 for that Threadless.com t-shirt when you could have bought a 3 pack of white t-'s or random screen prints from Walmart for $8?

There is always a budget version of something you like...but where's the fun in always buying that option? Some of you guys should just...sit back and take some notes and learn about your options (like I am). Don't let yourself feel guilty about anything you might find interest or value in unless its simply out of your budget and you bought it anyway.

A man feeling guilty about spending a $100 or more for a wallet -- something he will use and look at literally every day of his life and last upwards of 100,000 hours -- seems...nearsighted. Especially given how much we're all collectively spending regularly on games, none of which will last us more than a few hundred hours in most cases.

Just a thought. Get what you want if you can budget for and afford it, whether games, electronics, fashion, furniture, home & garden, automobiles, homes. And IMO, if you're going to have it in your life for a lengthy period of time, consider something better than the most budget, ratchet shit you can find. Or don't. It's your money.

Did the OP ever decide?

Business has kept me from getting over to Aventura (another local mall) and Sawgrass Mills (a massive and popular outlet mall nearby). Work week, etc. Plus, a number of things are still in limited stock due to the hurricane aftermath. I'll try to get around to looking at this again later this week, but it may be until the weekend, tbqh.

If I were to say I was leaning, it would be towards one of the HardGraft options but I'm concerned how the wool lining might wear over time or stain. I've seen some photos of used wallets to get an idea of what I can expect wear & tear to look like and...ehhhhhhhh. I scratched off a bunch of wallets that have patches and shit on them because I think they'll have durability issues in under a year (and the sales people also suggested as such). I'm probably going to end up more conservative here than I had hoped, but it's been a good learning experience in the varying kinds of materials used, grades of leather, and how all of these things impact durability. Even reading about resale value for expensive luxury brands has been interesting. People buy certain brands because they know they're not going to lose much value and can sell them later and recover huge amounts of invested money. It's all quite interesting. But yea, I've certainly looked at and felt up more wallets in the last 7 days than I have in life.

And I thought higher-end shoes was an interesting topic! (if you guys aren't up on high-quality dress shoes $800+, you're in for quite the learning experience)

reKon

Banned
Went for that light brown Ekster wallet and I can't believe it shipped already and will be here Saturday. Eveything I was reading on the web suggested that it would be delayed for month. I would have tried the Andar Wallet, but their brown color was sold out.

Secrid didn't have the color I wanted

toneroni

Nester99

secrid_collection_653q36.jpg

Get a Secrid. It's a fucking gamechanger, the mechanism and casing are indestructible.

You'll kick yourself for not owning a wallet with a card-protrusion mechanism like this earlier.

Ekster is basically a Secrid copycat, but with an inferior mechanism.

I bought a Secrid today becouse of this thread. It's really great.

Ya'll are funny feeling "guilty" about buying something that you can/will keep for a decade or more.

Generally speaking, you should be looking to spend on things that you will use regularly, things that you'll use for a long time, and things that will appreciate in value.

You shouldn't feel guilty about buying a $1000 TV when there were similarly sized $600 models. It's going to be in your living room for 7-10 years, you know? Or a $100 pair of gym shoes when the $20 Converse's could have covered your feet. Or a $500 chair if you sit at it every day. We could all be gaming on PS2's and playing vast libraries of games for < $75...but we certainly don't feel guilty about buying PS4's, XOne's, Switches, 3DSs, $60 games, $400 GPUs, $150 shaving sets when you could buy 10 for $1 at the local Dollar Store, $200 headphones and gaming headsets when you could have spent $20 and heard the games/music, so on and so forth. Shit man, why pay $24 for that Threadless.com t-shirt when you could have bought a 3 pack of white t-'s or random screen prints from Walmart for $8?

There is always a budget version of something you like...but where's the fun in always buying that option? Some of you guys should just...sit back and take some notes and learn about your options (like I am). Don't let yourself feel guilty about anything you might find interest or value in unless its simply out of your budget and you bought it anyway.

A man feeling guilty about spending a $100 or more for a wallet -- something he will use and look at literally every day of his life and last upwards of 100,000 hours -- seems...nearsighted. Especially given how much we're all collectively spending regularly on games, none of which will last us more than a few hundred hours in most cases.

Just a thought. Get what you want if you can budget for and afford it, whether games, electronics, fashion, furniture, home & garden, automobiles, homes. And IMO, if you're going to have it in your life for a lengthy period of time, consider something better than the most budget, ratchet shit you can find. Or don't. It's your money.

Business has kept me from getting over to Aventura (another local mall) and Sawgrass Mills (a massive and popular outlet mall nearby). Work week, etc. Plus, a number of things are still in limited stock due to the hurricane aftermath. I'll try to get around to looking at this again later this week, but it may be until the weekend, tbqh.

If I were to say I was leaning, it would be towards one of the HardGraft options but I'm concerned how the wool lining might wear over time or stain. I've seen some photos of used wallets to get an idea of what I can expect wear & tear to look like and...ehhhhhhhh. I scratched off a bunch of wallets that have patches and shit on them because I think they'll have durability issues in under a year (and the sales people also suggested as such). I'm probably going to end up more conservative here than I had hoped, but it's been a good learning experience in the varying kinds of materials used, grades of leather, and how all of these things impact durability. Even reading about resale value for expensive luxury brands has been interesting. People buy certain brands because they know they're not going to lose much value and can sell them later and recover huge amounts of invested money. It's all quite interesting. But yea, I've certainly looked at and felt up more wallets in the last 7 days than I have in life.

And I thought higher-end shoes was an interesting topic! (if you guys aren't up on high-quality dress shoes $800+, you're in for quite the learning experience)
All this ranting about expensive stuff but didn't even make up your mind :p

"I've certainly looked at and felt up more wallets in the last 7 days than I have in life."

With consent?

Clockwork

All this ranting about expensive stuff but didn't even make up your mind

Not to mention lack of realization that many of those items mentioned have tangible differences between the cheap/less expensive version and the more expensive/higher end ones.

But a wallet? I don't think you could truly discern between a $50 and a $350 one.

Top Bottom