• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like all digital PSP / PSone games work on Vita now [Not Anymore]

Interfectum

Only people being willfully ignorant ever though these games weren't on the store because of an actual technical issue.

I hope this comes around and bites them in the ass. Sony doesn't want to put the work/time/money into shoring up the availability of their back catalog and hope to sell PSNow to the masses on the back of the comparatively (to PS1) lackluster PS3 library and current PS4 library so grandma and grandpa can play "The Last of Uncharted 4" on their iPad? Good luck with that. When they fail at that like the company has been failing at most things outside videogames and try to come crawling back and give us access to the back library us core gamers have been begging for for years some of won't give a damn anymore and won't give them the time of day.

Saw this post on Twitter. Congrats man.

Magwik

Banned
"Oh we accidentally did something awesome that a lot of owners of our struggling handheld find to be awesome and exciting? Better fix that!"

WTF.

You know full and well that is not the problem here, so stop exaggerating bullshit. "We accidentally did something awesome" More like a glitch occurred that allowed an entire catalog of games to be downloaded on the Vita. Games that were de-listed, removed by publishers, and demos. Games that you could only get by going through your download list, and nothing else. Games that were never on the Vita store to begin with. I guess if Sony accidentally made a game free and lost a shit ton of money, they should let it slide because Vita owners found it cool? They probably have a ton of publishers getting on their ass right now because of this glitch/accident. These games were not authorized by the publisher, and even if Sony "flipped the switch" they would have no right to do so without getting approval from every single publisher, which would be quite difficult.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I want to believe that a Playstation intern was like "man I can't play those games I got on sale on my vita" and then tried to just flip the switch for him, but really flipped the switch for everyone.

BmAGIVjCYAAX3M6.jpg
#rare

The fact that nothing was announced or acknowledged by Sony themselves says it all. You couldn't legitimately buy the games directly through the Vita either. They payed for the games full knowing that this was not an official policy or update or whatever you want to call it. The games aren't taken away, just the method and system that was used as a work-around to get these games.

Not all gamers keep up with every press release put out by a company or constantly browse gaming sites. Hell, I've met people recently who still thought that the XB1 didn't play used games since that was just a widely reported on story back when it leaked.

People actually do browse online stores, so if they bought a game based on the information provided IN THAT STORE, they are completely not at fault in this situation.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Such a shame really, I was ready to give them my money for quite a few titles. You'd think publishers would want all their classic titles available to buy on whatever systems they can sell them on, it's not like they have to develop these games again. Money is money, having some come in from little effort is surely better than nothing coming in from them currently.

hamchan

This does reveal how not-future proof at all our digital purchases are. The system can play all the games we bought perfectly but we'll never be able to play them because of license bullshit.

Megatron

wow, there goes that slight spark I had for buying a vita again, sad to say but I would grab a vita for some phantasy star portable action along with psp games I missed out on and ps1 classics for my pocket.
it sounds like what you need is a psp my friend.

This is fucking bullshit. I sold my old Vita 2-3 weeks ago so I could get a Vita 2000 which doesn't come till May 6, so I missed out. I was even contemplating a 64GB. But now Sony can go fuck themselves. Canceling my pre order (which I had fully paid off btw) and not buying another Vita for long time. Fuck you Sony.
You sold your Vita before this even happened. Don't forgoe one of the best systems available because of this oversight. There's plenty of other great games to play aside from PSX and PSP classics. Join us, you know you want to. It may come back eventually, but even if not, by then there will be even more good games out.

Hugstable

Banned
Guys, guys! What if Sony knows that they'll never have licenses for these games, and they know that the Vita fan-base is basically all hardcore gamers who frequent NEOGAF and would know about these type of loopholes. So they put a bunch of requested games on sale for $.99, and then flip the switch to let you get em on your Vita. For those in the know, they get all the games they've been wanting, and Sony can pass it off as an "accident", or not even ever mention it at all while the fans get to go crazy for a few days! They're looking out for us, really. Basically, God bless based Good Guy Sony.

nah, this shit is fucked up.

Kolma

Interestingly enough, even after everything else got turned off, Final Fantasy V not only stayed on, but is now on the store on Vita.

Here's the SEN page for it (US):
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ita)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00879_00-0000000000000001

Anyway, I got that, the 3 crash games, and kurulin fusion, all which I already owned.

Final Fantasy V has been officially downloadable for a few months already I thought LOL.

Yeah FFV was approved a couple months ago.

bigkrev

This does reveal how not-future proof at all our digital purchases are. The system can play all the games we bought perfectly but we'll never be able to play them because of license bullshit.

Well, everything you bought digitally works for the platform it was originally sold for. A vast majority of them also work on other systems that came out after the item was sold!

elcapitan

Since this was never supposed to happen, I will consider this a special case where the otherwise impossible was finally made...possible. Never deleting these games from my card.

Malice215

Anyone know if Castlevania Symphony of the Night is properly compatible on Vita?
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ita)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00067_00-0000000000000001

Store listing gives mixed results and for some reason or another it was one of the ps1 games I don' think I ever bothered to put on my Vita since I already beat it on psp/ps3
Did put it in my Vita during this wonderful glitch though.

SOTN better be fine. I have it on my Vita way before this, but after this debacle you now have to second guess.

Sony needs to make things right quick.

zewone

Jazzem

Disappointing that it was a mistake...did manage to download Rock Band Unplugged Lite (which didn't work in PAL) before it was 'corrected' though :D

Tigress

Not all gamers keep up with every press release put out by a company or constantly browse gaming sites. Hell, I've met people recently who still thought that the XB1 didn't play used games since that was just a widely reported on story back when it leaked.

People actually do browse online stores, so if they bought a game based on the information provided IN THAT STORE, they are completely not at fault in this situation.

So they don't keep up with the press release but they keep up with gaming sites to find these rumors that tell them this is available? That makes no sense. Some one who is paying attention to gaming sites that are telling them, "Hey, you can play these PSP games on this device now" are going to easily pay attention to press releases (or even if the game even is sold on the Vita store....) or easily be able to look up to see if that info is correct.

I highly doubt there are many people affected who didn't learn about the whole thing from NeoGaf or some other site.

I learned of this through NeoGaf. I actually waited for official Sony confirmation and I don't check press releases myself, usually I find my news by here or some other gaming site. But since I didn't see it on the Vita store nor advertised as such and I did see people saying Sony hadn't said anything, I held off.

Honestly, I don't know who this person is that doesn't look at these sites nor offical releases and some how learned they could do this that you propose exists. Even if they only checked this site they could easily see people mentioning this was possibly a glitch and there were no official statements yet (I saw that, and as I said, I don't normally look at press releases, I get most of my news here).

Disappointing that it was a mistake...did manage to download Rock Band Unplugged Lite (which didn't work in PAL) before it was 'corrected' though :D

SSSHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTT. This was the first thing (well, after CTR) that I thought of when this happened and I entirely forgot to go actually get the thing.

I actually so still own a PSP, but it's pretty junky at this point. I've thought about looking for one of the newer models they came out with (the 3000 I think) since there are actually some stores that still sell them, but they're still like $100.
Well, everything you bought digitally works for the platform it was originally sold for. A vast majority of them also work on other systems that came out after the item was sold!

We'll see what happens when GFWL goes down and whether or not I'll still be able to play stuff like Viva Pinata or Bulletstorm on my PC without cracking them. :/

KalBalboa

Banned
I wonder how many people actually downloaded Crash, etc, specifically for their Vita without having heard of its availability through GAF or some other enthusiast site.

It's a glitch they're going to end up paying for. Some case by case refunds are likely to happen, but I'm personally happy to have the Crash & Spryo games on my Vita finally. They should really just tackle this now or at E3 to get this mess out of the way before it catches any real momentum. Giant Bomb and Beyond didn't report it this week, so I'm not positive it'll ever reach critical mass considering how small a number of people were "scammed" by the glitch.

bigkrev

Anyone know if Castlevania Symphony of the Night is properly compatible on Vita?
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ita)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00067_00-0000000000000001

Store listing gives mixed results and for some reason or another it was one of the ps1 games I don' think I ever bothered to put on my Vita since I already beat it on psp/ps3
Did put it in my Vita during this wonderful glitch though.

It works. It was given away as a Plus game ages ago.

For reference, THESE ARE THE GAMES THAT DO NOT WORK ON VITA

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bloody Roar
Bloody Roar 2
Command & Conquer
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Future Cop: LAPD
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Myst
Pocket Fighter(?)
Sim Theme Park
Spyro The Dragon
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Star Wars Dark Forces
Vehicle Cavalier

Any of the 188 PS1 Classics not listed here are compatible, though some must be transfered by PS3.

I hope that guy in the server room 'accidentally' leans on the switch again.

It's funny seeing people complain about a game they could play then suddenly can't, even though the game was probably already playable long before, (eg: SotN)

Disguises

I'm so glad I finally managed to download Phantasy Star Portable 2 before they fixed this. What's stopping them? Licenses?

Guess I should back this up to my PC since I wont be able to redownload should space become scarce again.

Only managed to get a couple of games on my Vita in time before The Great PSN Indian Giver Fiasco of 2014 went down.

Should have gone HAM last night when I still had the chance.

Sadness consumes me now.

fedexpeon

Banned
Let's be honest, majority of us knew it was a glitch.
I downloaded every PS1/PSP games to the Vita on a separate a card for the worst case sencerio like this.

But overall, it is a sad thing that the Vita overall catalog system is crippled because of licensing issue.
This has to be the dumbest thing ever for digital titles.
Sony failed on how they negotiated this with 3rd parties in the past from the look of it.
They should have been vague and used a boarder term for ALL future Sony Playstation family products...
But man, so disappointing with this news.
So many games that I would have rebuy again ie: all of the classic JRPG PS1 era in the future. Now? Zero chance because I hate gaming on a big screen for those classics.
Free money on the table, and these publishers are just meh, eff those consumers, who needs money?

Kolma

Useless_1f07e1_1376077.gif

If only they would just hold the switch in the on position
(would edit the gif to be more appropriate but not currently at home)

Tigress

Free money on the table, and these publishers are just meh, eff those consumers, who needs money?

Yeah, I don't get it. It can't possibly cost them much money to just allow it to be played on the Vita... So I don't even see that there's much risk to them and potential for more sales. So why in the world would you refuse more sales for something that would cost very little risk?

I know I'd have bought PSP's Gran Turismo if it were available on my Vita and maybe a few PSX games.

For that matter, shouldn't Sony own the licensing for Gran Turismo? Why is that one not allowed on Vita?!!!!

Chun-Li

Let's be honest, majority of us knew it was a glitch.
I downloaded every PS1/PSP games to the Vita on a separate a card for the worst case sencerio like this.

But overall, it is a sad thing that the Vita overall catalog system is crippled because of licensing issue.
This has to be the dumbest thing ever for digital titles.
Sony failed on how they negotiated this with 3rd parties in the past from the look of it.
They should have been vague and used a boarder term for ALL future Sony Playstation family products...
But man, so disappointing with this news.
So many games that I would have rebuy again ie: all of the classic JRPG PS1 era in the future. Now? Zero chance because I hate gaming on a big screen for those classics.

The PS1 game thing is a huge over exaggeration since nearly all PS1 games are playable on Vita. Some require a PS3 to transfer but it's still possible. I'd like to imagine that if you have a Vita chances are you have a PS3. But I guess not everyone. Still, which RPGs aren't downloadable straight from the Vita store?

maltrain

Ufff... luckly I downloaded Crash Team Racing and Suikoden!!!

This is bullshit... we should have access to our games if the handheld can play them as we saw it!!!

KalBalboa

Banned
So far I've been pretty content with how good PlayStation has been about grandfathering my PSone classics, etc, over.

I have games on my Vita that I bought for ~$5 in 2007 or so on my PS3 that grandfathered over to my PSP and then my PS3. The cross saves have been great, the updated touch manuals, the upscaling, etc, all without additional fees or transferring costs.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if that practice has its limits and that Sony just can't keep "giving away" updated versions. Maybe having these titles span across several consoles for one cost is making licensing a real pain in the ass, but only in NA for some reason. Either way, they need to get on top of it.

I'd drop a few bucks on an updated version of Crash 1-3 if it looked a bit better and came with trophies, etc, but I'd need some reassurance that this content limbo wouldn't happen again. So far they've been the best in the console/handheld realm about it all, but this is an example of how ugly it can all get.

bigkrev

Is there anything like this for digital PSP games?

I'd like to know this as well.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?showtopic=281768

The List of games that don't work
Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus
Midway Arcade Treasure Extended Play
Modnation Racers PSP
Motorstorm Artic Edge
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Platypus
Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Syphon Filter Combat Ops
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Thexder Neo
Twisted Metal Head On
Wipeout Pure

All other games work either by transfer or directly from system, but many games have been delisted over the years and can no longer be bought (can be re-downloaded if owned)

Kolma

So far I've been pretty content with how good PlayStation has been about grandfathering my PSone classics, etc, over.

I have games on my Vita that I bought for ~$5 in 2007 or so on my PS3 that grandfathered over to my PSP and then my PS3. The cross saves have been great, the updated touch manuals, the upscaling, etc, all without additional fees or transferring costs.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if that practice has its limits and that Sony just can't keep "giving away" updated versions. Maybe having these titles span across several consoles for one cost is making licensing a real pain in the ass, but only in NA for some reason. Either way, they need to get on top of it.

I'd drop a few bucks on an updated version of Crash 1-3 if it looked a bit better and came with trophies, etc, but I'd need some reassurance that this content limbo wouldn't happen again. So far they've been the best in the console/handheld realm about it all, but this is an example of how ugly it can all get.

I can't help but feel that Sony should have worded the contracts better so all this licensing issues would be moot

Harmonix makes sure their DLC songs are licensed for "Rock Band" use specifics like Rock Band 2. This allows them to use the DLC on pretty much anything so long as Rock Band is in the titles (like Rock Band Blitz)

Sony just had to make the PS1 games work on "Playstaion" brands not PSP, and PS3, and PSVita which causes issues with bringing certain PS1 games to Vita as they all have to be relicensed and is probably why there are no PS1 games on PS4.
Same could be said about PSP games.

I learned of this through NeoGaf. I actually waited for official Sony confirmation and I don't check press releases myself, usually I find my news by here or some other gaming site. But since I didn't see it on the Vita store nor advertised as such and I did see people saying Sony hadn't said anything, I held off.

Honestly, I don't know who this person is that doesn't look at these sites nor offical releases and some how learned they could do this that you propose exists.
Anyone who takes the time to frequent online message boards (and sign up to become a member), is obviously going to be more informed than a huge amount of people who play games.

And I'm not proposing anything, I just said that if someone had gone onto PSN, browsed around, found one of the (many) games that was shown as Vita Compatible over the last few days, bought it, and was suddenly not able to download it, it's not their fault but Sony's. These stores exist to provide information to the person looking for games on them, and if the information on the store is incorrect it's incorrect, simple as that. It sucks that this was a glitch, but I don't blame someone just because they thought it wasn't.

Obviously most of the people on here probably did see this thread, wanted to play some of their favorite games on the Vita, and picked them up BECAUSE they saw that they suddenly could (probably assuming that Sony was going to announce something in a day or two).

I'm happy that your caution payed off for you and a few others in this thread, but it's just annoying to see people flaunting that fact in peoples faces (not saying you were, but there's definitely some of that going on in this thread). "OBVIOUSLY it was a glitch, you people are ignorant morons for not waiting!" "You entitled babies are so stupid for blaming Sony for this, you're at fault here." "Look how smug I am!"

Kolma

Gran Turismo
Modnation Racers PSP
Motorstorm Artic Edge
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Platypus
Syphon Filter Combat Ops
Thexder Neo
Twisted Metal Head On
Wipeout Pure

All other games work either by transfer or directly from system, but many games have been delisted over the years and can no longer be bought (can be re-downloaded if owned)

Wait.. so Rock Band Unplugged Lite DOES work on Vita through other means?

Chun-Li

Gran Turismo
Modnation Racers PSP
Motorstorm Artic Edge
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Platypus
Syphon Filter Combat Ops
Thexder Neo
Twisted Metal Head On
Wipeout Pure

I wish I grabbed Fat Princess, Twisted Metal Head On and Gran Turismo. That Twisted Metal game is one of my favs in the series. Very close to 2 but felt more solid, similar to Black.

bigkrev

I can't help but feel that Sony should have worded the contracts better so all this licensing issues would be moot

Harmonix makes sure their DLC songs are licensed for "Rock Band" use specifics like Rock Band 2. This allows them to use the DLC on pretty much anything so long as Rock Band is in the titles (like Rock Band Blitz)

Sony just had to make the PS1 games work on "Playstaion" brands not PSP, and PS3, and PSVita which causes issues with bringing certain PS1 games to Vita as they all have to be relicensed and is probably why there are no PS1 games on PS4.
Same could be said about PSP games.

And as we see by periodic removal of songs from the Rock Band store as licenses expire and are not renewed, it really isn't possible to licenses something into perpetuity.

for the new page... anyone who cares

well let's ask Sony to look into this?
I mean #PS4noDRM did help them at the negotiating table right?

so let's try
#VITAnoLicenseLock
#EndLicenseLock
#FreeOurGamesOnVita

@yosp
@amboyes
@giocorsi
@shahidkamal

the point is not to blame Sony. as many have already said, they don't and can't control the entire license agreement. but with all the downloads from this glitch + if we make ourselves heard, I think Sony does have a good case to negotiate with the publishers to rethink about this

"hey look, gamers want this, people are willing to spend money to buy older games, shall we work things out?"

I tweeted Shu my fury

Malice215

I'm still dying to buy Crash Bandicoot. Going back and playing these old games is so much more enjoyable for me on the Vita than on a PS3, especially with the suspend function.

#FlipTheSwitch

Kolma

And as we see by periodic removal of songs from the Rock Band store as licenses expire and are not renewed, it really isn't possible to licenses something into perpetuity.

well ofc ourse not licenses do expire, but while they are still Valid they are available on pretty much whatever Harmonix wants them on. Hell they could probably make a rhythm Racing game similar to amplitude using the DLC tracks.

Top Bottom