• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Fallout 3 is getting GFWL removed as well

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
F1 2010
F1 2011
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
BioShock 2
Batman: Arkham City
Batman Arkham Asylum
DiRT 3
Fallout 3
Dark Souls
Grand Theft Auto IV
Iron Brigade
Resident Evil 5
Bulletstorm
Red Faction Guerilla
Fuel
Buy Street Fighter X Tekken
Lost Planet 2
Flatout
The Club
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition still has GFWL and will likely always have it, because Ultra Street Fighter 4 comes out in August.

Hellraider

This also reminded me how I still wish RE5 one day gets the Bioshock 2 treatment and get the console exclusive dlc along with the GFWL removal update.

They haven't pushed a patch yet. You should still be able to download the game and cheat your way to more gamerscore.

What about disc-based copies of the game? They can't remove GFWL from those somehow, right? Should still be able to get achievements with that until GFWL shuts down for good?

chupon

What about disc-based copies of the game? They can't remove GFWL from those somehow, right? Should still be able to get achievements with that until GFWL shuts down for good?

Yep that won't be affected until the assumed July shutdown of GFWL. You are aware of the console commands right?

Grief.exe

This also reminded me how I still wish RE5 one day gets the Bioshock 2 treatment and get the console exclusive dlc along with the GFWL removal update.

Technically that DLC was on PC, but you had to jump through hoops on the finicky GFWL store to acquire it.

You wouldn't be more upset if they charged $15 just to remove GFWL from AE?

He probably wants the update done for free. Argument being, why should we pay for their fuck ups and poor decisions.
Of course, Ultra edition adds plenty of added value to the purchase.

You are safe

Yep that won't be affected until the assumed July shutdown of GFWL. You are aware of the console commands right?

Even then, you can run the game with xliveless anyways, not difficult to get around the DRM.

If this really happens, I will gladly play the whole game again to get the Steam achievements.

I've actually wanted a reason to play FO3 again, and this might be it :)

Saroyan

I think GFWL forces you to either download available updates for a game or be signed out of Live. But who knows with this situation, IDK if they would push a patch that removes GFWL through GFWL.

Omikaru

Your disc-based copy is good until Microsoft kills GFWL. After that you won't be able to unlock gamerscore. Can't remember the date but you've got a few more months to go before that happens.

And hopefully those with physical copies will be able to redeem them on Steam once the de-GFWL'ing has occurred.

kris.

Banned
How in the hell? I've never had GFWL come up when playing Fallout 3. I always get the Steam prompts telling me I'm gonna need to use a key but never had to use it.

Dark Souls, on the other hand, took like half an hour to start for the first time because of GFWL.

antitrop

Nice, I was just playing this recently after hearing that GFWL will shut down, earning those achievements before they go away. Guess I better go back to this and earn the others I haven't gotten yet!

Is it still possible to unlock all of the achievements with console commands?

Grief.exe

If this really happens, I will gladly play the whole game again to get the Steam achievements.

I've actually wanted a reason to play FO3 again, and this might be it :)

Perfect excuse for myself as well. I really want to go wild with mods.

2eys3i.png

439s40.png

I think GFWL forces you to either download available updates for a game or be signed out of Live. But who knows with this situation, IDK if they would push a patch that removes GFWL through GFWL.

They never push a patch through GFWL.

Bittercup

How in the hell? I've never had GFWL come up when playing Fallout 3. I always get the Steam prompts telling me I'm gonna need to use a key but never had to use it.
GFWL was always optional for Fallout 3. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. Close it and play without it. I have still an unregistered key from my retail version.
If you don't want to even see GFWL when starting Fallout 3 there are mods to disable this as well. You have probably something like that installed when it doesn't come up for you.

kamspy

I purchased FO3 retail and all my DLC through the GFWL Store.

Wonder how that is going to pan out.

Hopefully Besthesda does the right thing and lets me put my retail key into Steam and unlock the GOTY edition.

kris.

Banned
GFWL was always optional for Fallout 3. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. Close it and play without it. I have still an unregistered key from my retail version.
If you don't want to even see GFWL when starting Fallout 3 there are mods to disable this as well. You have probably something like that installed when it doesn't come up for you.

Oooohh, okay, that makes sense. I was always really curious as to why I was always getting the key prompts. Didn't even realize that it was shipped with GFWL haha

Grief.exe

I can swear I had a message before about needing to update to stay signed in to Live when starting Fallout 3. I bet it must have been an update for GFWL itself or something.

I was just referring to GFWL removal patches, they have issued other patches through GFWL client in the past.

You never needed GFWL to run FO3.

Sure you don't need it, but it still installs the client onto your computer.

That may not bother you, but it will effect others who purchased the retail disc or through Microsoft.

f6kaUQx.png

Morokh

Pretty much everyone who played it modded had GFWL disabled anyway, it's not really that big of a change on this one.

Admittedly, Fallout 3 was the one GfWL game where it was practically useless. But yeah, good news is still good news. Hopefully I can get a Steam copy of my retail version (although I can also see Bethesda issuing a straight up patch for it, especially considering it's nothing that FOSE doesn't do already).

Grief.exe

Admittedly, Fallout 3 was the one GfWL game where it was practically useless. But yeah, good news is still good news. Hopefully I can get a Steam copy of my retail version (although I can also see Bethesda issuing a straight up patch for it, especially considering it's nothing that FOSE doesn't do already).

It is one of the last ones people were worried about.

I really don't understand why Namco hasn't said anything about Dark Souls. Are they really that stupid to not remove GFWL? There is a lot of people that bought the game during the Amazon and Steam sales that I would hope by now they realized how long the sales tail of this game is. Are they really just planning to not remove GFWL.

So does this remove the GFWL live client from launching once you launch Fallout 3?

I sent an email to Bethesda last week, asking them if they could give me a Steam key for Fallout 3, now that GFWL is closing down and I still have my retail GOTY edition.

This is what they replied.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Bethesda Technical Support

It is true , Fallout 3 did use GFWL to track achievements. It was Microsoft's decision to retire GFWL in 2014, and any impact on our game is beyond our control.

As far as we are aware, no announcement has been made about transferring a GFWL code for Fallout 3 for a digital Steam version.

Fallout 3 does not require a GFWL code to function. You will still be able to play Fallout 3 even after GFWL has been discontinued. The only missing element will be how achievements are tracked but at this time we have no information on how or if that will be implemented beyond 2014. Fallout 3 was released in 2008 so whether anything will be done regarding GFWL is still open to question. The important fact is the game can still be played no matter if no further developments occur.

We would expect if there were any future announcements on this matter they would be posted on the Bethesda Blog website, www.bethblog.com.

Thank you for your interest in Fallout 3 and we hope you enjoy the game for a while to come.

Regards,

Stewart G.
Bethesda Technical Support

solarus

I've been holding off playing dark souls in anticipation of this happening because I worry that once gfwl is removed from dark souls I would lose my saves- that happened with arkham city if I remember right. Rather not put hours in only to have steam update, remove gfwl and take my data away.

Grief.exe

I sent an email to Bethesda last week, asking them if they could give me a Steam key for Fallout 3, now that GFWL is closing down and I still have my retail GOTY edition.

This is what they replied.

That was quite a good reply she sent you.

Unfortunately they are well aware that the game could work just fine without the key. I hope that they are actually removing GFWL rather than just removing the key and dropping the entire thing.

I've been holding off playing dark souls in anticipation of this happening because I worry that once gfwl is removed from dark souls I would lose my saves- that happened with arkham city if I remember right. Rather not put hours in only to have steam update, remove gfwl and take my data away.

There was actually a method to get your GFWL save to work in the Steamworks version.

solarus

That was quite a good reply she sent you.

Unfortunately they are well aware that the game could work just fine without the key. I hope that they are actually removing GFWL rather than just removing the key and dropping the entire thing.

There was actually a method to get your GFWL save to work in the Steamworks version.

Hmm, do you think I should just risk it with dark souls and play it now then? As long as there is a method to keep my save was guaranteed I'll be happy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The GFWL situation kind of confuses me...I bought AoE 3 and Viva Pinata from their webstore. Is my chance to redownload those games going to end soon? Or will they keep that part functioning so I can download and play em indefinitely?

Hypron

Is it still possible to unlock all of the achievements with console commands?

Yeah, and thank god for that. Otherwise I'd never been able to complete the game because of Bethesda being Bethesda and never fixing a major bug (which was pretty wide spread as well) which prevented my character from completing the mother ship Zeta character. Both my brother and I got the same bug with two different characters on two different PCs, so I just said fuck it and unlocked the last 2/3 achievements I was missing.

Grief.exe

The GFWL situation kind of confuses me...I bought AoE 3 and Viva Pinata from their webstore. Is my chance to redownload those games going to end soon? Or will they keep that part functioning so I can download and play em indefinitely?

Download them before July.

Card Boy

Banned

You paid like 10cents each for those didn't you? You have probably found more than that on the on street.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
is it too late to get these xbox achievements

No, not until March or July, forgetting the cutoff. Get them now with the console command. I did.
Because Fallout 3 is terrible. Fallout 1, 2, Tactics for life

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instead of removing GFWL from SS4: AE they are forcing people to spend $15 to upgrade to Ultra SF4.

They'd do that even if GfWL wasn't dying.

Just like they did with AE 2012 the same for 2014/Ultra.

Frankly the better option is to buy SSF4/AE on Steam sale for like $7-10 bucks if you get the four pack, get the complete costumes through Steam (tied to Steam not GfWL) and wait for Ultra and then pay the $15 to upgrade to Steamworks/Ultra SSF4 instead of the $45 they're going to charge in AUGUST for the full retail/Steam-only, no GfWL version.

szaromir

Banned
I also bought them and I can't even download them anymore as the GFWL MArketplace client doesn't work anymore (can't connect), at least for me :/

Top Bottom