• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

I'm playing in DX9 mode and it always crashes when loading the level after Atlantic Station. Also, it always resets gamplay options but my other settings stay the same. So much for the no vitachambers achievement.

Grief.exe

I'm playing in DX9 mode and it always crashes when loading the level after Atlantic Station. Also, it always resets gamplay options but my other settings stay the same. So much for the no vitachambers achievement.

As long as you reload a save where you hadn't died yet, then you will be fine.

Grief.exe

I turned on Reverb in the audio settings menu and I was able to replicate some of the issues you guys are having. No gun, limited environmental, ambient, and talking sounds all were gone. Soon as I turned it back off, the sounds returned.

I can see how the issue would be really frustrating, really took me out of the game.

I forgot about the two weapon limit in Infinite, maybe that is why I like Bioshock 2 better. There are always more options for a particular situation.
2 weapon limit means I have to take one medium/long range and a short range counter. Leaving me very limited in both the choices I have to make, and the options I have in a particular encounter.
The 2 weapon limit in Infinite is even more perplexing when you take the weapon upgrade system into account.

I tried to rebind them a few times now and the hacking breaks each time. Maybe it's conflicting with another bind but I don't see any side effects until I switch the attack buttons.

I looked around for a bit and found that the hacking bind bug is actually pretty common. It's a lousy port.
Ran into an odd hacking bug as well. Hack seems to be bound to whatever your Use key is without a problem, in my case E. Buyout being bound to B doesn't seem to have any issues. Abort is bound to Shift by default, but I changed my key bindings to have Shift activate the Telekinesis Shield. This seems to have not only broken my ability to abort a hack, it also causes me to use a medkit during hacking, which is strange because I have Use Medkit bound to Q.

Bioshock 2 worked fine yesterday and now it wont even launch. Tried several things I found on the net but nothing worked. Help?

SP, just reached the Pauper level, no deaths yet but many close calls, getting back into the swing of things :)

The SP to MP jump with the mouse is too bothersome, so I tried it with a controller, damn it feels snug, and I am still kicking A. Some strangeness with the UI while using controller (mouse doesn't disappear, when the chat box appears in the lobby, you kind of cant do anything) and also seemingly variable sensitivity while running around (I know auto aim kicks in, but sometimes the turn speed flies really high for no apparent reason).

Looks like im hooked on B2 again, here's to reaching level 50 .... again !

I also tried running B2 in Big Picture mode, I never really used BPM but im quite surprised, it actually transitions between BPM to the game quite well, no desktop in between, just a black screen and then game, neat !

Grief.exe

Analog sticks generally impose some kind of acceleration, that is why you see it making its way into PC releases of games.

Great example is the Splinter Cell series. Games are made in the Unreal 2/2.5 engine, originally designed for shooters. Mouse acceleration has wormed its way into every single release.

How long do you think it will take to reach level 50?

Absolutely fucking ages (which it did on GFWL too), but the lag causes it to take longer as you end up jumping between games until a playable one is found. They mention they tweaked the MP to make it easier to level so maybe not as much.

I have already seen level 50's playing however ......

Veelk

Banned
I just need a clarification on something.

They're working on doing the same thing for Batman AA/AC, right? Well, what about the GOTY versions? It seems obvious that they would do both, since they're the same game, but I've been surprised before. So, any confirmation?

Grief.exe

Absolutely fucking ages (which it did on GFWL too), but the lag causes it to take longer as you end up jumping between games until a playable one is found. They mention they tweaked the MP to make it easier to level so maybe not as much.

I have already seen level 50's playing however ......

They must have really tweaked the level progression then.

I just need a clarification on something.

They're working on doing the same thing for Batman AA/AC, right? Well, what about the GOTY versions? It seems obvious that they would do both, since they're the same game, but I've been surprised before. So, any confirmation?

Actually, all of the work has been done on the GOTY versions of those games so far, nothing has been touched for the vanilla versions.

I have a feeling Warner is going to do a very similar thing to 2K here. Release the update on Steam, all previously purchased copies are now the GOTY version.

More info here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619976

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't figure out how they sped up multiplayer leveling. The XP per level requirements have matched up with the numbers listed on old listings. I managed to get up to level 24 or so pretty quickly. I could see a committed player doing it in a week I guess.

Bioshock 2 is the best Bioshock. I just don't get the hate.

You know what? I recently replayed the first game and Infinite and I'm now replaying this after having played it a few years ago on PS3 and was having the same thought.

I'll have to finish it though. Some thoughts:

Gameplay improvements over the first one are obvious, dual wielding, enough said.
The hacking mini-game in B1 was obviously more original but it became such a chore after the 100th time, B2's simplicity is a relief.
The big daddies/little sisters were always the most fascinating part of the bioshock lore for me so having the game focus on this aspect is great.

Compared to Infinite (which I also loved) level design is obviously better in B2. I do prefer Columbia over Rapture as a setting but it's a close call.
I loved Liz and Booker but the
Delta/Eleanor arc is actually better.
Getting to see the world through the eyes of a little sister was an amazing moment for me as well.

I have a soft spot for Infinite so I'm having a hard time making up my mind but I'm not one to really dwell on stuff like this. Some people are obsessed with ranking all the entries in a franchise but I don't really care about that.

Anyway, this is one of the top 5 franchises this gen has given us imo. Everyone should check these games out.

Sound mix is feeling a bit odd, weapon sound seems muffled. I wonder if I can fix this, I'll have to look at fixes posted in this thread.
Game looks a bit rough, textures are pretty poor in general.

Izcarielo

Banned
Can you actually play B2's multiplayer? the only matches i found are lag-fest and i think its gonna be impossible for me to get the online achievements. thats a bummer :/

Grief.exe

Since the netcode is still P2P based, it is mainly luck that places you in a match with solid net code.

I live in Denver, Colorado which puts me square in the middle of some huge population centers of the United States. I get great ping to California, Texas, and Chicago so I have had no trouble finding good matches.

Its the mouse controls that have put me off from playing.

Izcarielo

Banned
I live in Barcelona (Spain) and it seems nobody here plays B2 so i think the game is connecting me to an american match or something, i dont know. I have 100Mb though

Bioshock 2 is the best Bioshock. I just don't get the hate.

You know what? I recently replayed the first game and Infinite and I'm now replaying this after having played it a few years ago on PS3 and was having the same thought.

Although I haven't played it on PC, I've played it 4 times on 360 and it's nice to see Bioshock 2 getting some belated praise.

Bioshock 2 (along with Minerva's Den) is my favourite game this generation, great gameplay, and more personal stories that resonated with me much more than the high-falutin' themes of both B1 and Infinite.

For me Infinite was a huge step backwards in gameplay, as combat was a slog, there was next to no finesse in the various areas if you wanted to play with a modiucm of stealth, which was a far cry from the Adam Harvest parts of Bioshock 2, I had so much fun trying to plan those out - really nothing that compared in Infinite.

I did a comparison of B1 & B2 a while back here :-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436774&highlight=bioshock

Dax01 also had a pretty good retrospective as well here:-
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630031&highlight=bioshock

I was actually thinking of going back to it and bringing Infinite into the equation, but think I need to do a 'trilogy' playthough first to be clear on everything; my biggest issue with that is I have no real desire to playthrough Infinite again at the moment. :(

Went through a thread and found several potential fixes

Try verifying cache within Steam first, make sure all of the sounnd files are downloaded.

Make sure you have the correct configuration in both windows and in game.

If you have on-board audio, then you need to disable reverb in game, select low quality audio in the ini, and set less audio channels in the INI.

Update your audio drivers.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?56994-Bioshock-2-sound-cutting-out-with-Reltek
Bit late to this, but I tried every fix mentioned here and nothing works. Audio still cuts out and stutters when it wants to, which is usually during hectic moments with many concurrent sound effects.

Been a long time since I played BIoshock, I really felt on the ropes not knowing the core of the combat, how to heal, restore plasmids etc. Took a while to configure the game also. Didn't care for a lot of the on screen text.

Then it crashed. Woop. edit. Tried uninstalling that update, I'll see how it goes.

Jesus Christ! It still crashes! I've done fucking everything - DX9 mode, uninstalled the Windows update, and installed vcredist. On the bright side, Minerva's Den works.

danthefan

Jesus Christ! It still crashes! I've done fucking everything - DX9 mode, uninstalled the Windows update, and installed vcredist. On the bright side, Minerva's Den works.

It was crashing for me too a lot initially and it seems to have been a corrupt save. I deleted all but the most recent save, started the game, overwrote that save immediately, and haven't had a crash since.

Can someone spell out the deal with Little Sisters to me please. I'm on the Pauper's Drop level and the game tells me there are two Big Daddy/Little Sisters in the level. I killed one and have now harvested two bodies. If I save/sacrifice her, can I then go find the other Little Sister and harvest another two bodies?

Grief.exe

Can someone spell out the deal with Little Sisters to me please. I'm on the Pauper's Drop level and the game tells me there are two Big Daddy/Little Sisters in the level. I killed one and have now harvested two bodies. If I save/sacrifice her, can I then go find the other Little Sister and harvest another two bodies?

Yes.

xenist

It was crashing for me too a lot initially and it seems to have been a corrupt save. I deleted all but the most recent save, started the game, overwrote that save immediately, and haven't had a crash since.

Yes. But before making the final choice, stock up and prepare for a fight because a Big Sister is going to come.

Grief.exe

Some more screenshots. Downsampled from 1440p with Bicubic Sharper

i9wQtsnX5ZOVA.png

iMrFtkAttdvgA.png

io7xts3FWCx5Q.png

Lautaro

I hope these crashing issues aren't that widespread, there are a couple people in here that are having huge problems. I've experienced zero crashes so far.

No crashes on my end. Really good DLC.

I predicted the end though... I'm getting inmune to Bioshock twists

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hope these crashing issues aren't that widespread, there are a couple people in here that are having huge problems. I've experienced zero crashes so far.

I've put about 4 hours into so far and have had no crashes or anything, either.

Grief.exe

I've put about 4 hours into so far and have had no crashes or anything, either.

In the back of my mind, I always wonder whether it is poor computer maintenance.

They haven't reformatted in 3 years, don't update their drivers, don't do a clean GPU driver install, viruses, registry errors causing conflicts, etc.

These are common computer issues that can cause serious problems.

D-e-f-

Banned
I recommend playing it on Hard, the enemies are a little to similar to a bullet-sponge at the beginning, but you are forced to hunt for supplies. Makes the game more interesting.

Best BioShock 1 & 2 experience I've had was playing both on Survivor and Hard respectively. Loved every second of it and it showed off how the combat systems were incredibly underrated.

Grief.exe

Best BioShock 1 & 2 experience I've had was playing both on Survivor and Hard respectively. Loved every second of it and it showed off how the combat systems were incredibly underrated.

I am really enjoying the gameplay on hard with Bioshock 2.

At the beginning it is quite difficult and the enemies have way too much health, but when you start to acquire new weapons, increase the damage to your weapons, and new plasmids you start to be able to fight back.

Eventually, you have so many options to deal with a particular situation. Its so much fun to experiment and come up with new ideas and ways to deal with enemies.

Really makes Bioshock Infinite's 2 weapon system look horrible by comparison.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Damn cold hard crash to desktop for me. Guess I'll try again later.

Guri

Is it a standalone experience? I mean, not connected to the main campaign? Because I don't think I have my savegames from 2010 anymore!

Top Bottom