• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord British (aka Richard Garriott) seems ready to show off his next game

jaxword

We'll get an amazing Final Fantasy game before we get an amazing Lord British game :(

We wouldn't have Final Fantasy if not for Lord British.

Regardless of all his flops, moral issues, and pretentiousness, the man did something legendary for the gaming industry and that should be respected.

Hahah yes.

uzBlP.jpg

Judging by this picture being on your profile, I'd say your opinion is so far outside the objective realm you may as well be in the Ultiverse.
The Ultima series is a joke, all around terrible writing, art, music, and above all - game play.

jaxword

Judging by this picture being on your profile, I'd say your opinion is so far outside the objective realm you may as well be in the Ultiverse.
The Ultima series is a joke, all around terrible writing, art, music, and above all - game play.

You do realize that the first Dragon Quest was a clone of Ultima.

And that Final Fantasy was, in turn, created as a clone/competitor of Dragon Quest?

You clearly misunderstood what I was saying, since it had nothing to do with quality of art or music or anything.

epmode

The problem with this analogy is that Richard Garriott is only one person and there were a whole team of people at Origin who were incredibly talented. People who worked on Wing Commander worked on Ultima or Crusader or Bioforge, and so on. Then you had all those people there who went on to work at Looking Glass Studios.

A lot of those old Origin people are now working on Star Citizen, by the way.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
We wouldn't have Final Fantasy if not for Lord British.

Regardless of all his flops, moral issues, and pretentiousness, the man did something legendary for the gaming industry and that should be respected.

I've always come across that claim about Final Fantasy and Ultima - is there any evidence supporting that other than anecdotal? Not that I find it hard to believe since the Ultima series is still pretty mindblowing even to this day.

Though I may have my rose-tinted glasses on, I don't think I've come across any modern RPG that has topped the U7 games.

BTW this is a decent read: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/26/ultima-most-important-game-series-ever/

You do realize that the first Dragon Quest was a clone of Ultima.

And that Final Fantasy was, in turn, created as a clone/competitor of Dragon Quest?

You clearly misunderstood what I was saying, since it had nothing to do with quality of art or music or anything.

And Wizardry. Ultima took the party-based combat from Wizardy, too.
So even without Ultima there would have been Wizardry to draw from.
Either way we would have ended up with games very similar to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest because Ultima didn't invent the RPG genre.

Durante

I knew people were wrong on the internet, I see it every day. But I believe this amount of concentrated wrongness is a danger to humanity. It could rip open a hole in reality and suck the whole universe into the void.

Seriously, the Ultima series pioneered so many concepts that we now take for granted (and introduced many others that are still generally unmatched decades later) that a statement such as this can only come from someone who is either woefully misinformed or actively trying to stir things up.

Ultima 7 like RPG Kickstarter campaign, please!!!!
Larian are already making Divinity: Original Sin, no need for a kickstarter!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
And Wizardry. But either way we would have ended up with games very similar to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest because it's not like Ultima invented the RPG genre.

Have you really played Ultima VII? It's pretty amazing stuff. Has decent writing, a compelling story, great music, fantastic graphics and a full open world.

Even U5 and U6 were damn fantastic at the time.

Ultima 7 like RPG Kickstarter campaign, please!!!!

I tweeted Garriott about a Kickstarter campaign and all I got in return was indifference.

He was probably in orbit or riding the magic dragon or something.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I knew people were wrong on the internet, I see it every day. But I believe this amount of concentrated wrongness is a danger to humanity. It could rip open a hole in reality and suck the whole universe into the void.

Seriously, the Ultima series pioneered so many concepts that we now take for granted (and introduced many others that are still generally unmatched decades later) that a statement such as this can only come from someone who is either woefully misinformed or actively trying to stir things up.

Larian are already making Divinity: Original Sin, no need for a kickstarter!

I hope Divinity: OS nails it. I still listen to the Divine Divinity (love the game) soundtrack occasionally.

jaxword

I've always come across that claim about Final Fantasy and Ultima - is there any evidence supporting that other than anecdotal? Not that I find it hard to believe since the Ultima series is still pretty mindblowing even to this day.

Yes, there is.

Dragon Quest, the VERY first Dragon Quest, used the same graphics and interface as the early Ultimas. Specifically, Ultima 4, but those that came before it played a role. Ultima was out for 5 years before DQ.

Ultima had a clunky interface for its sprites where the sprite did NOT change direction when you moved. It was just a static sprite, maybe it moved its arms and legs a bit.

End6Zdn.png

Note the similarity to DQ's King room.

DQ1 used the same flat sprites that did not change with the direction you moved. Later versions of DQ incorporated the now-standard jRPG 2d sprite movement.

Original version on left, newer on right:

KS62AxS.png
Dp6C1w5.png

b7Un4x8.png
xNOqFtf.png

Most people do not know that DQ started that way, because they're so used to the American version which created the standard.

There's also the world map interface:

O6RdRUP.png

WuSohJ8.png

The tile-based map and small-town-graphic = larger explorable town is a jRPG standard now, but it definitely started before DQ and FF. Ultima was one of the first, if not THE first, to popularize this style.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070223a/barton_pfv.htm

Sure, Ultima wasn't the ONLY rpg that did this, but to deny the influence the Ultima series has is just dishonest.

And I don't even like the early Ultimas, they're completely unplayable. In fact they're all unplayable before 6, early gamers must just have had far more time and patience.

Deku Tree

And I don't even like the early Ultimas, they're completely unplayable. In fact they're all unplayable before 6, early gamers must just have had far more time and patience.

Yeah I played Ultima IV on four double sided floppy disks.
You had to swap disks every time you entered a town for example.
The load times were terrible. But most games were like that back then... No other option.

They also expected you to translate a cryptic language that Lord British created for the game. It was actually fun at the time. But it probably wouldn't fly nowadays.

Fortunately they released a free PC version that plays off your HDD. No load times in 2013.

jaxword

Well, it's an obvious attempt to stir things up, (especially with the shifting goalpost) so it's best to just ignore the troll.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Woah, woah, slow down. I love Origin, I just meant that Final Fantasy and Ultima are legendary series', and neither has been worth a damn since their respective devs learned to count to 8.
Puts on flame shield.

I think Ultima VI really got the open world concept right, what with the persistent item states, and respawns. I loved farming nightshade on that little island east of the road to... I wanna say Trinsic. It was so cool how any item you dropped, or placed into a container would stay there forever -except the unique Concave Lens which was *required* to beat the game. Arrrrgh.

xenist

Don't cloud your mind by dealing with such nonsense.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
please don't be "The Cave: The RPG".

:(

fleck0

You're probably safe there, that would make no sense, unless you mean -
Richard's Garriot's new game will be to ultima as The Cave was to Maniac Mansion. That sounds pretty likely actually.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You're probably safe there, that would make no sense, unless you mean -
Richard's Garriot's new game will be to ultima as The Cave was to Maniac Mansion. That sounds pretty likely actually.

noooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooo

oooooooo

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Would prefer an Autoduel remake.

But I liked Ultima, a lot.

I confess, I was an Ultima Dragon, UDIC :p

dejan

*inhale*
Stay calm and don't get excited.
*exhale*
Fuck it. Woohoo \o/

The evolution of RPGs is as follows:

Norse/germanic mythology -> Lord of the Rings -> Dungeons and Dragons -> Wizardry -> Ultima -> Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy

The creator of Dragon Quest said that he wanted to do an Ultima/Wizardry game in Japanese and that's where DQ1 came from. He copied the graphical style of Ultima with the tactical battles of Wizardry. He even directly copied the placement of the first two towns from Ultima IV as you can see in the pic above. And Final Fantasy was a Dragon Quest clone.

Sentenza

*inhale*
*exhale*
Fuck it. Woohoo \o/
There's no point in getting excited, Garriot is too much into the social gaming kool-aid.

Richard, come back to Earth, look at your goddamn fellow Chris Roberts and what he's doing.
Doesn't that fill you with shame on comparison?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Would prefer an Autoduel remake.

But I liked Ultima, a lot.

I confess, I was an Ultima Dragon, UDIC :p

OMG! Which dragon were you!? I would say which one I was, but I'm really not interested in my RGCUD post history coming back up.

Let's just say their OT was a thousand times worse than GAF's OT.

Girl-AGE has nothing on Ophidian's posts.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There's no point in getting excited, Garriot is too much into the social gaming kool-aid.

Richard, come back to Earth, look at your goddamn fellow Chris Roberts and what he's doing.
Doesn't that fill you with shame on comparison?

I remember reading an interview with Garriott in Next Gen magazine where he said he was surprised at how much time and money Roberts was investing in the Wing Commander cutscenes. He said it all made sense when Roberts left Origin to go make Hollywood movies. So let's not pretend Roberts was a focused laser-beam here.

Going to over-excite myself by expecting this to be a true sequel to Ultima Online.

I'll just be happy if this is a better game than Tabula Rasa.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
OMG! Which dragon were you!? I would say which one I was, but I'm really not interested in my RGCUD post history coming back up.

Let's just say their OT was a thousand times worse than GAF's OT.

Girl-AGE has nothing on Ophidian's posts.

Ditto, so you'll excuse me not sharing it, it was a looooong time ago, that shit can stay in the past :p

Sentenza

I remember reading an interview with Garriott in Next Gen magazine where he said he was surprised at how much time and money Roberts was investing in the Wing Commander cutscenes. He said it all made sense when Roberts left Origin to go make Hollywood movies. So let's not pretend Roberts was a focused laser-beam here.
Who cares? I'm talking about what they are doing now.

Dremark

Banned
Or that you now have no money left. Didn't he spend a huge part of his cash on this?

I'm sure it cost him quite a bit. However it would be extremely foolish for him to use the majority of his wealth on a trip, I am assuming that it was only a fraction of what he is worth.

Tacitus_

I have a dirty secret to admit. I only know about him because a gaming mag ran a feature on him, I think it was while he was hyping Tabula Rasa, and this stuck out to me:
z2CFbdy.jpg

Top Bottom