• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Iceman

I'll list some of my personal favorite restaurants in Pasadena:

El Super Burrito: Only outdoor seating, but they have the best mexican food that I've tried thus far in LA. (Colorado Blvd and Rosemead Blvd.)

Ichima: Bang for your buck, the best sushi place. (Foothill Blvd and Rosemead Bvld.)

Choza Mama: Authentic Peruvian. Affordable. Tasty. Live music/class class class. (Colorado Blvd., between Raymond and S. Arroyo Blvd.)

In surrounding areas:

Arcadia has an awesome, and famous, dumpling house called Din Tai Fung (Baldwin Ave, just south of the Santa Anita Shopping Mall/Racetrack). Also affordable.

But the MOST affordable, awesome food is Banh Mi & Che Cali (pronounced "Cheh COO-lee) in San Gabriel (N San Gabriel Blvd and E Las Tunas Blvd.); $5 Pho, buy 2 get one free sandwiches, buy 1 get 1 free drinks, etc.

Arcadia has an awesome, and famous, dumpling house called Din Tai Fung (Baldwin Ave, just south of the Santa Anita Shopping Mall/Racetrack). Also affordable.

But the MOST affordable, awesome food is Banh Mi & Che Cali (pronounced "Cheh COO-lee) in San Gabriel (N San Gabriel Blvd and E Las Tunas Blvd.); $5 Pho, buy 2 get one free sandwiches, buy 1 get 1 free drinks, etc.

my man. awesome place.

bluemax

Banned
Tito's Tacos is so bland and generic. I don't get the hype. 30 minutes for a generic hard shell taco. At least Pink's has some uniqueness too it!

The next meetup should be at the IHOP right outside my house.

I went to apply for a job there once, and the manager came out to see me. Arm in a cast.

Good times.

NoRéN

Get out of my neighborhood!

I think you just had to have grown up with it. I know a lot of people who don't like Tito's, but all those people either aren't from L.A. or didn't grow up on the westside. Are there better tacos out there? Yes, but Tito's is like comfort food to me.

Fair enough, I am a San Diego ex-pat, so I definitely have specific notions on mexican fast-food.

That said, Rosemead and Garvey in El Monte is the closest Alberto's to LA metro. Had a fabulous late-night carne asada burrito last night.

If you guys are ever in the Monrovia area, right off Huntington Drive on the 210 across from the Holiday Inn is a great Izakaya called Oto Oto. Really nice digs and really cheap for the type of awesome Japanese food they serve like their yakitoris.

http://otootorestaurant.com/

NoRéN

Fair enough, I am a San Diego ex-pat, so I definitely have specific notions on mexican fast-food.

That said, Rosemead and Garvey in El Monte is the closest Alberto's to LA metro. Had a fabulous late-night carne asada burrito last night.

Im surprised at how many there are out there.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
In LA, close to the city college in Hollywood. Not the best, not the worst... however, it's walking distance to my favorite Thai spot (Prael -- omg their curry!), and my favorite coffee joint, Cafecito, on Heliotrope.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hey Guys, I have to get to Tustin from Playa Del Rey today. Should I take the 405 or 105 and I-5?

I'm leaving in like 30 mins.

Chaplain

NoRéN;34407509 said:
Never used this. Better than siglalert? Because sigalert tends to run slow.

I prefer ABC's site. But if you have Google maps on your phone, their realtime traffic is pretty accurate.

Hey Guys, I have to get to Tustin from Playa Del Rey today. Should I take the 405 or 105 and I-5?

I'm leaving in like 30 mins.

105 east
605 south
405 south.
22 East
55 south.

avoid the 55 north at all cost. its part of the orange crush. it starts backing up around 2pm every day.

d0c_zaius

I live in hobotown, a non residential district in West LA. I work 7 minutes away and sometimes it can take up to 1 hour to get home.

But good food and boobies make LA worth it.

^This. LA is the worst. ;_;

If you guys didn't, like, own houses and stuff already I'd recommend moving the entirety of XSEED up here to Portland or Seattle. Sure it gets colder but the public transit actually, you know, exists.

Anyway, been to LA, not too fond of it, mostly due to the lack of natural precipitation (and thus greenery) and heat. Robin actually hates it with a dire passion and was a bit grumpy when we made a trip to AnineExpo last year.
emot-v.gif
If CF goes this year, I may be goin' alone!

lunchtoast

Has Senor Fish been mentioned here? It has some of the best burritos I've ever had. It's in Eagle Rock, and I think there's one downtown as well.

Sobriquet

He means the art colony by the 5. Have a couple friends over there.

Yarp. On Main Street. Hidden if you don't know it's there. Has a great bar. I wonder if we know some of the same people?

Are most people transplants?

Been in LA: About 3 and 1/2 years now. Damn, has it really been that long?
Represent!: Studio City, CA ya'll

From: Moved here from Austin, TX. Previously in the suburbs of Chicago. Plus a lot of other places.
Been in LA: Almost 15 years. :/ So I've lived here longer than anywhere else.
Represent!: Lincoln Heights, for the last five years, in the World's Largest Artist Community™

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
OC > LA.

Come at me.

That's pretty easy.

The O.C. is boring.

L.A. has awesome venues, restaurants, theaters, mountains, it's closer to big bear for skiing, it's closer to better beaches (Mmmm . . El Matador), more job opportunities for everything film related and it's not the O.C.

That is all.

Mifune

Mehmber
Has Senor Fish been mentioned here? It has some of the best burritos I've ever had. It's in Eagle Rock, and I think there's one downtown as well.

Yeah, I've been to the one downtown. The shrimp and scallop burrito was really great. Halibut was good, too.

Mifune

Mehmber
If you guys didn't, like, own houses and stuff already I'd recommend moving the entirety of XSEED up here to Portland or Seattle. Sure it gets colder but the public transit actually, you know, exists.

Anyway, been to LA, not too fond of it, mostly due to the lack of natural precipitation (and thus greenery) and heat. Robin actually hates it with a dire passion and was a bit grumpy when we made a trip to AnineExpo last year.
emot-v.gif
If CF goes this year, I may be goin' alone!

LA is a horrible place to visit, great place to live.

d0c_zaius

Heres a quick breakdown of the West LA/ Culver City/ Santa Monica mom and pop game store scene:

Hyper Game (Sawtelle) - Import japanese games the day of release, but pretty pricey and their service kinda sucks. For some reason they share retail space with a womens clothing store.

A and J Games (Palms) - A really sleazy pawn shop for used games. Everything is in pretty poor condition and the owner is a scammer, but it can be the only option for some old consoles and games sometimes.

Gameplay (Venice blvd) - A cool place ran by cool people. They always have a good selection of new and used games and consoles, as well as some obscure stuff.

and on an unrelated note, the best food trucks:

South Philly Experience (cheesesteaks)
Ta-Bom (Brazilian food)
Tainamite (Taiwanese food)
Cheer Burger
M.O.E.ggrolls (thanksgiving eggroll)
Dogstown Dogs
Cool Haus (ice cream sandwhiches)

That's pretty easy.

The O.C. is boring.

L.A. has awesome venues, restaurants, theaters, mountains, it's closer to big bear for skiing, it's closer to better beaches (Mmmm . . El Matador), more job opportunities for everything film related and it's not the O.C.

That is all.

Go easy on him, he always chooses the worse of two options.

That's pretty easy.

The O.C. is boring.

That is all.
please. like the film industry is the only industry in so cal that keeps the economy going.
Orange county is one of few counties as of 2011 to have job growth since 2008. and also 3rd in the nation among major metro areas for both new positions created.
Orange county also has handful of cities that are safest in the nation.

LA traffic sucks. more crime per capita. education is subpar. air quality is horrendous.
the only thing that la has over orange count is the food. the food is so nom nom nom good.
the food sucks down here. oh and the night life is nonexistant.

please. like the film industry is the only industry in so cal that keeps the economy going.
Orange county is one of few counties as of 2011 to have job growth since 2008. and also 3rd in the nation among major metro areas for both new positions created.
Orange county also has handful of cities that are safest in the nation.

LA traffic sucks. more crime per capita. education is subpar. air quality is horrendous.
the only thing that la has over orange count is the food. the food is so nom nom nom good.
the food sucks down here. oh and the night life is nonexistant.

If you want to have a life, live in LA.

If you want to raise a family with boring kids, live in the OC.

mollipen

Checking in as part of this crazy city called Los Angeles. (Burbank/Glendale area specifically.) I used to hate LA, but now after living here for just a little over three years, it's kind of grown on me. Still doesn't feel like home, but it feels like a fun place to have an extended stay.

Living here is still rough on me, though. Still don't know much about the city and where to go/what to do, and still have very few friends here (due to mostly working from home). That's the worst part of LA for me, really—not its size, or being crowded, or any of that, but living here and having so few connections.

Oh, I do absolutely hate the weather here though. So, so utterly boring.

I may end up working in OC in a couple months, then in a few years when I graduate I'll work somewhere else in OC.

But I'll probably live in LA.

Checking in as part of this crazy city called Los Angeles. (Burbank/Glendale area specifically.) I used to hate LA, but now after living here for just a little over three years, it's kind of grown on me. Still doesn't feel like home, but it feels like a fun place to have an extended stay.

Living here is still rough on me, though. Still don't know much about the city and where to go/what to do, and still have very few friends here (due to mostly working from home). That's the worst part of LA for me, really—not its size, or being crowded, or any of that, but living here and having so few connections.

Oh, I do absolutely hate the weather here though. So, so utterly boring.

Ugh...sunshine...again!? Fuck you, sun!

Top Bottom