• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost in Concept - Prey 2 and a Hostile Acquisition Gone Wrong

does HyperBitHero actually bash Arkane in any way, or is that "leave Arkane alone" comment about comments not in this thread, or just a strawman argument?), what Bethesda did is awful.

Nope. I make a point that Arkane's Prey just isn't Prey and it isn't trying to be Prey, so there is nothing to blame them for. It was just a name they took because Bethesda had is sitting around. I even say I won't let the controversy affect my judgement of their game and that it will have its own merits. I sort of make fun of it for being so different from Prey, only having a wrench in common, but that was just to make the point that they were nothing alike.

Mr. Tibbs

Just about the entire design team remains. Monte martinez, steve powers, ricardo bare, anthony huso, rich wilson. Only other designers are nathaniel from looking glass, jeremy from thief mods, and me and albert from irrational. Thats it. To say we never touched dishonored is hilariously wrong.
Im sure the artists and programmers would shake their heads as well.

I didn't say that. I said that the majority of the Prey team didn't work on Dishonored. Arkane Austin 2012:
sandbox_Arkane-Austin-Team-2012_850.jpeg

The continuity between projects is greater at the Lyon studio. Their design team has Christophe Carrier, Damien Laurent, Daniel Todd, AILI Stéphane, Daniel Becker, Joackim Daviaud, Raphaël Gilot, Matthew Lourdelet, Yoann Saquet, Dinga Bakaba, tons of artists and programmers who worked on Dishonored and are now working on the sequel. The Austin studio has less of the original Dishonored team working on Prey.

Good summary video, however, near the end of the video the host is saying that it is a shame that a game that doesn't share the same gameplay as Prey is using the Prey name while also saying how much he misses the originally pitched Prey 2 game which shared none of the same gameplay as the original Prey.

I don't disagree, I just thought it was funny.

I don't think I ever actually said that in the video. Prey was a pretty standard first person shooter with weird guns and cool level premises. The new Prey looks very similar to that. It's still a first person shooter with weird guns. I said I'd rather not have it at the cost of the Prey universe.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
For as much as that is true, pretty much the same practices resulted in Dishonored and them buying Arkane. So it does have successes as well.

Dishonored turned out great in spite of Bethesda's actions, not because of it. It's still surprising how well that turned out because I remember it having development issues due to the Bethesda strongarming / holding the dev studio hostage to over deliver on a game under budget.

Awesome video as always from HBH. I remember seeing the Prey 2 trailer a long time ago but I never knew they showed actual gameplay. Shame it never saw an official release since it looked pretty neat. Also, is it me or does Prey 2 (2017) look eerily similar to XCOM declassified before it turned into a TPS?

Yep, I've made this comparison before as well.

Here is the trailer we're talking about if no one has seen it. Black goo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEajfi_BMo

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just finished watching. Very well put together video, especially enjoyed the montage at the beginning of other sequels that attempted to develop their own identity. Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for what they did. The industry is poorer for losing Human Head's Prey 2.

Nokterian

I watched the reimagined Prey at gamescom and while it looks nice, it didn't do anything for me, you can turn into the same thing as the black goo see you can turn into a cup i was like what? It felt more like bioshock in space to be exact and only using the name to attach it for IP reasons they could have took another name but i do not understand why they use this.

A shame Prey 2 was so terrible canned on bethesda side and bethesda being fucking terrible towards human head studios.

I watched the reimagined Prey at gamescom and while it looks nice, it didn't do anything for me, you can turn into the same thing as the black goo see you can turn into a cup i was like what? It felt more like bioshock in space to be exact and only using the name to attach it for IP reasons they could have took another name but i do not understand why they use this.

A shame Prey 2 was so terrible canned on bethesda side and bethesda being fucking terrible towards human head studios.

I agree. The new Prey is appealing to me in a lot of ways conceptually, but I'm just not getting any strong vibes from it.

RK128

Its nice seeing more people talk about Prey 2, as it is something that should never be forgotten. Between the article I wrote on the subject and HyperBitHero's fantastic video detailing everything wonderfully, this story will never be forgotten.

Such a damn shame this even had to happen and while Human Head still is making games and is around, I feel so bad for people at the studio. They loved working on this and would have produced an amazing game.

Edit: Link to Article I Wrote: http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/08/06/the-long-story-of-prey-2s-development-the-darkside-of-bethesda/

RK128

RK128 your link appears to be broken

Try clicking it now, as I think it should be working. Its working on my end, so I wonder what the issue is.....

Edit: I see the problem; its not working on mobile devices for some reason at the moment. Try clicking the link on PC or Mac.

gabbo

Gameplay wise, I was never as sold on HH's sequel as I was on how it tied in with the first Prey. I wanted to see how Tommy's story carried on and intersected with the new protagonists. That's what I'll miss about the new Prey, it will have (assumedly) nothing to do with the other Prey

Mman235

Based on the developers and the stuff shown so far I think the new Prey will be great, but watching this made me realise that the pain of losing the old Prey 2 hasn't gone away :( .

Edit: And based on other instances like Eidos throwing Core Design under a bus, with the truth coming out as time went on, I'm definitely trusting the developer's account more than the publishers.

Gameplay wise, I was never as sold on HH's sequel as I was on how it tied in with the first Prey. I wanted to see how Tommy's story carried on and intersected with the new protagonists. That's what I'll miss about the new Prey, it will have (assumedly) nothing to do with the other Prey

Yeah, I can definitely see him being a guy you'd coop with in missions and get info from over your radio. He was said to play a big role, and he would definitely appear in-game, since we saw his model.

Top Bottom