• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey to steal TGS and save the 360 in Japan?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tony HoTT said:
He's a ****ing kid leave him alone!

For one there isn't shit for Xbonx 358 in Japanz, and for another thing he can't afford it.

And for another nother thing you are hopelessly attracted to other men and you need to admit it.

:lol :lol :lol

Meier

OverHeat said:
Student: Wow! This looks promising.
Me: It's on Xbox 360!
Student: It is? That's too bad. I guess I won't play it then.

He said it look promising.....and because its on 360 he wont even try it

thats just stupid.

I think it's more, "Oh, I dont have an Xbox 360 and don't know anyone who does, so I guess I won't get to play it." It's not like the kid lost interest because the 360 is a "Evil Gaijin Invention!"

TheTrin said:
You were chastised for talking about worldwide 360 performance in a thread about LO saving 360 IN JAPAN. Or did you forget what thread you're in?

Yeah, I GOT IT TRIN. That's why I warned the guy.

ALL CAPS ARE SERIOUS.

"Hugo! It's Jesus. He wants to know what kind of car you want!"

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So I checked out the first 15 action-packed minutes of the nearly hour long Lost Odyssey TGS demo yesterday and I was completely blindsided by how f'ing awesome this game looks and feels (in the emotion stirring sense).

I don't know if this game is going to "steal TGS" or sell a million Xbox 360s in Japan, but goddamn it is an impressive piece of work that will turn a lot of heads. Takehiko Inoue's art direction has taken on a maturity that goes even beyond his work in Vagabond, and seeing it in motion in both the CG and real-time graphics makes me think that his future isn't in manga but rather in 3D and games.

But what really got to me beyond the FF-style combat vs. like 1000 enemies and seamless integration of real-time and CG graphics is the way Lost Odyssey conveys a sense a mystery around its main character (who apparently is immortal). I walked away from the demo immediately wanting to know more about the game's scenario -- hero, villains, f'ed up world, everything.

I haven't played a J-RPG and haven't wanted to play one since... shit, I can't even remember, and now I suddenly can't wait for Mistwalker to finish the damn game. :p

element

TheTrin said:
You have to be in Japan to truly understand how dead in the water the 360 truly is. I brought my Famitsu to work today to show some of my students Lost Odyssey.

Here's how it went:

Student: Wow, this looks really beautiful. The interface is very much like FF.
Me: Yea. The creator of FF is working on it!
Student: Wow! This looks promising.
Me: It's on Xbox 360!
Student: It is? That's too bad. I guess I won't play it then.
Isn't Sakaguchi a god in Japan?

chespace said:
So I checked out the first 15 action-packed minutes of the nearly hour long Lost Odyssey TGS demo yesterday and I was completely blindsided by how f'ing awesome this game looks and feels (in the emotion stirring sense).

I don't know if this game is going to "steal TGS" or sell a million Xbox 360s in Japan, but goddamn it is an impressive piece of work that will turn a lot of heads. Takehiko Inoue's art direction has taken on a maturity that goes even beyond his work in Vagabond, and seeing it in motion in both the CG and real-time graphics makes me think that his future isn't in manga but rather in 3D and games.

But what really got to me beyond the FF-style combat vs. like 1000 enemies and seamless integration of real-time and CG graphics is the way Lost Odyssey conveys a sense a mystery around its main character (who apparently is immortal). I walked away from the demo immediately wanting to know more about the game's scenario -- hero, villains, f'ed up world, everything.

I haven't played a J-RPG and haven't wanted to play one since... shit, I can't even remember, and now I suddenly can't wait for Mistwalker to finish the damn game. :p

YOU SHUT UP NOW, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TIM ****ING ROGERS

nitewulf

an interesting hypothetical question does arise...would blue dragon and LO exist at all w/o MS money? im sure sakaguchi would have tried his hand at creating something to rival FF. but i dont think he would have had the monetary backing to create BD. so we got two new IPs due to MS's money. is that a good or a bad thing? im sure Mistwalker would have created rpgs regardless...just saying probably not something that could rival FF budget wise. they would have been 2nd tier rpgs.
we have been stuck with FF being the only big budget rpg for so, so long now. just my personal take by the way, most of you play and nejoy all rpgs...i can only enjoy mainstream big budget stuff nowadays. SO3 bored me to death, and thats the only other rpg aside from FFX that i beat for the ps3. shadow hearts, wild arms 3 etc all bored me. production values weren't high enough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
chespace said:

The game definitely looks sweet Che. I can't wait for the Famitsu demo. :)

Sir Speedy said:
IS TIM ROGERS THE NEW JOSH ROBINSON? OR ******?

This thread is shit, way to go admins.

maybe this thread is a trap for junior members like yourself to come in and post in all bold and caps, questioning it's existance and blaming the admins.

MbGCaM

chespace said:

Wow, thanks for your opinion Che. I want to see more of this game on TGS!

Mojovonio

Banned
chespace said:

I;m curious wether the engine focuses on things like normal-mapping and such or does it look good strictly based on the art style?

Also, comabt vs thousands of enemies? WTFOMG!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Mojovonio said:
I;m curious wether the engine focuses on things like normal-mapping and such or does it look good strictly based on the art style?

Also, comabt vs thousands of enemies? WTFOMG!

Normal mapping yes.

Depth of field yes.

Next-gen graphics - check.

I'd expect to see video of the first 15 mins on youtube next week.

I could watch it all day long. But then again, I am an Inoue nerd.

Mojovonio

Banned
chespace said:
Normal mapping yes.

Depth of field yes.

Next-gen graphics - check.

I'd expect to see video of the first 15 mins on youtube next week.

I could watch it all day long. But then again, I am an Inoue nerd.

Jesus, I know lots of people who will be very happy with how this game turned out.

Sallokin

The constant boners I keep getting from everyone's impressions are starting to cause me to pass out. This could actually be a hyped game that *GASP* actually delivers!

The initial impressions from the other thread by Tim or whatever just seemed so fanboyish that I dismissed them. I'm glad Che chimed in with his more level headed impressions. At least I know he's someone with at least a little taste in games :D

OverHeat

« generous god »
Tony HoTT said:
He's a ****ing kid leave him alone!

For one there isn't shit for Xbonx 358 in Japanz, and for another thing he can't afford it.

And for another nother thing you are hopelessly attracted to other men and you need to admit it.
oh yeah! I want you so bad....your so HoTT

Wulfer

HAHAHAHA thanks for positive update Chespace well, it looks like if your not Xbox 360 fan your ****ed. Nice to see the tables turn for a change. Wonder how many people will start giving 360 a second glance after this game shows up?

chespace said:

Sounds fan-f*cking-tastic. There better be something available on XBL marketplace during TGS. A new trailer at the very least.

I need to get a hold of that demo.

steinmc

Error2k4 said:
I know it has japanese 3rd party support.... I didnt say it doesnt.

for how long will that support last once the PS3 is out...? :p

As long as the Xbox360 is successful in the USA and Europe, companies like Capcom, Konami, Tecmo will support the Xbox360. Mainly because these companies offer their games worldwide.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
steinmc said:
As long as the Xbox360 is successful in the USA and Europe, companies like Capcom, Konami, Tecmo will support the Xbox360. Mainly because these companies offer their games worldwide.
not with exclusive games tho. which is what Im trying to say.

I could be wrong of course but I think PS3 will see more exclusive stuff from japenese 3rd parties than 360.

steinmc

Error2k4 said:
I could be wrong of course but I think PS3 will see more exclusive stuff from japenese 3rd parties than 360.

Certainly, the PS3 is getting more exclusiv stuff from japenese 3rd. parties than Xbox360.

But if the Xbox360 proves to be more successful in the USA and Europe as Xbox 1, then large japanese companies, who are selling their games worldwide, won`t loose their interest in the Xbox360. Some of them would bring some exclusive games to the Xbox360.
But of course, fewer than forthe PS3.

Gigglepoo

Saoh said:
:lol :lol didnt people say the same with N3?

I don't think anyone said the same thing about N3. Not even one person. And, no, I'm not being sarcastic.

To respond to the OP - no one game can "save" a system. It can spark interest, though.

Drek

Lost Odyssey is, for me, the reason to buy an X360. If it delivers I'm on board when it hits the U.S., no question.

I really hope it sells like gangbusters, it'd be great to see Sakaguchi's new studio break out as the fresh new RPG studio while Wada and all his cronies continue their "EA of the East" IP whoring. Unfortunately I doubt Sakaguchi's name will carry the same weight in Japan it once used to, as he hasn't had hands on involvement in game design since the SNES days.

Blue Dragon doesn't really impress me, but thats because I'm not a big Toriyama fan and all we've gotten to see is artwork. I'm looking forward to more information on ASH though. I'm hoping before long we hear about Matsuno joining up with Sakaguchi, I think they'd make an excellent team. Then all they'd be missing is Horii to completely anex the greatest RPG talents in gaming history. :lol

Its funny, as a kid my two biggest inspirations for wanting to make games were Sakaguchi and Molyneaux. They've both ditched companies that began to care more about sales and IP milking to work independantly. Great parallels developing.

Himuro said:
Everything bombs in Japan now.

That's wrong on so many levels.

Himuro said:
Like Inafune said, it's not about Japan anymore, it's about appealing to a wider market and if the other Japanese developers don't do this, they will fall in the water.

It's about the world, and you can design games that everyone likes. Look at the recent crop of DS games, or FF, MGS, KH, Mario ect ect. Games that sell everywhere, not just NA, or Europe or Japan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chespace said:

Does the protagonist have a HUGE ****ing sword? If it's less than say, 12 feet long and four feet accross the blade, this game is doomed. If it has a gun or a cannon attached it may have a chance.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Stinkles said:
Does the protagonist have a HUGE ****ing sword? If it's less than say, 12 feet long and four feet accross the blade, this game is doomed. If it has a gun or a cannon attached it may have a chance.

What about a laser? I'd say a laser would even the odds.

pswii60

Drek said:
Lost Odyssey is, for me, the reason to buy an X360. If it delivers I'm on board when it hits the U.S., no question.

I really hope it sells like gangbusters, it'd be great to see Sakaguchi's new studio break out as the fresh new RPG studio while Wada and all his cronies continue their "EA of the East" IP whoring. Unfortunately I doubt Sakaguchi's name will carry the same weight in Japan it once used to, as he hasn't had hands on involvement in game design since the SNES days.

Blue Dragon doesn't really impress me, but thats because I'm not a big Toriyama fan and all we've gotten to see is artwork. I'm looking forward to more information on ASH though. I'm hoping before long we hear about Matsuno joining up with Sakaguchi, I think they'd make an excellent team. Then all they'd be missing is Horii to completely anex the greatest RPG talents in gaming history. :lol

Its funny, as a kid my two biggest inspirations for wanting to make games were Sakaguchi and Molyneaux. They've both ditched companies that began to care more about sales and IP milking to work independantly. Great parallels developing.

Yeah 'cos MS aren't interested in sales

Molyneux is OWNED by one of the biggest corporations in the whole entire world, how is he independent? He WAS independent.

EDIT: although I would say that I do like the fact that MS are really getting on board with new IPs and supporting developer's wishes this gen. I just hope it doesn't stop when
sorry, i mean...IF
they win the console war.

comrade

chespace said:

I really hope we get a demo of this on the marketplace. It sounds amazing.

Ryun1

SnakeXs said:
What about a laser? I'd say a laser would even the odds.

Would it be possible to have a huge sword with a laser sight? That sounds totally non-useful, but also totally perfect.

Orodreth

Ryun1 said:
Would it be possible to have a huge sword with a laser sight? That sounds totally non-useful, but also totally perfect.

20060407_14_02.jpg

Himuro said:
Not really. Unless you count DS first party games, FF, DQ, KH, and Sengoku Musuo, yes, pretty much everything bombs.

Many games still sell well in Japan. Capcom is just bitter over it because they've milked the holy hell out of their games so much that they don't move as much as they once did. They've done it with both Street Fighter and Resident Evil, both were hugely popular in Japan now but don't do much anymore.

Japan just doesn't have the type of sales seen in Western markets, its just not as big. But that doesn't mean you should compeltely ignore it. The PS2 has around a 20m unit fanbase over there. Yah its not as much as the US or Europe again, but its more than any of the competition this generation in terms of their worldwide console sales. And without some success in that market you can pretty much forget the big type of support from them. So I don't think its fair to say the market isn't important.

Top Bottom